Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Cole: Colts don't refer to the Patriots by name (merge)

ViriLudant

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. I saw that too. So that makes three of us that could care less what the Colts call the Pats in their locker room .

Your obvious disdain for the topic is obvious.  :thmup:

I'm curious, do Patriots fans view the current iteration of the Colts as a rivalry, or do they look at us more along the lines of how we used to look at the Texans? Always trying their darndest to win, but never really putting up much of a threat.

The Colts are one of the better teams in the conference regardless of recent head-to-head match-ups with the Pats. Sometimes teams don't match up well with other teams, but what happens in each game is independent from what happens in others. When the Colts-Pats game comes around I won't put a ton of stock into what's happened in the last few games between them. Scoreboard will read 0-0 to get things rolling, and anything can happen. 

Here's the biggest thing I got from the article and this thread

1. Talk is cheap

2. The offseason is wayy too long

3.  Patriots are horrible... well a couple Pats fans are ok :thmup:

4.  Until we tighten up our bootstraps and finally REALLY punch the pats in the mouth (like 06) were gonna continue to get punked by them.  All the name calling(or lackthereof is nonsense)

I'm curious, do Patriots fans view the current iteration of the Colts as a rivalry, or do they look at us more along the lines of how we used to look at the Texans? Always trying their darndest to win, but never really putting up much of a threat.

The Jets are our main rival, I'd say. The Colts used to be our rival, but just a speed bump recently.

I'm sure it'll be reinstated as early as this season.

Your obvious disdain for the topic is obvious.  :thmup:

The Colts are one of the better teams in the conference regardless of recent head-to-head match-ups with the Pats. Sometimes teams don't match up well with other teams, but what happens in each game is independent from what happens in others. When the Colts-Pats game comes around I won't put a ton of stock into what's happened in the last few games between them. Scoreboard will read 0-0 to get things rolling, and anything can happen. 

What we do know is the Pats have an advantage in coaching. For some reason that seems to have played out very big in the last 2-3 games. Buy yeah... some seem to think that the Pats can just write their own score and point to the last 4 as proof. 

What we do know is the Pats have an advantage in coaching. For some reason that seems to have played out very big in the last 2-3 games. Buy yeah... some seem to think that the Pats can just write their own score and point to the last 4 as proof. 

No... like I said, I don't think past performance has a lot to do with anything. Each game plays out the way it plays out, and what happened in January or November last year isn't going to really mean anything when they play again in October. (Or November? Can't remember when that game is scheduled and am too lazy to look it up right now, haha...) 

BTW has it been revealed if the Colts call them anything?

Perhaps people are reading into this wrong too. Knowing Andrew Luck he might even have some super intellectual cool sounding name for the Patriots that the fans or rest of the Colts organization would not even grasp.

When we play the Pats on SNF this year they might as well show that nationally as the intro.

lmao

I would love to see the reaction.

edit: And change the faces of the intro to Colts and Pats players.

Oh yes, I would love that, with the music too! I miss my soaps from back in the day. Reading NFL news reminds of the soap digest magazines at the counter. 

Colts are givin' the Pats the "Ravens Treatment" here. 

Now if we are using the Ravens treatment......hopefully we start playing like how the Ravens play the Patriots.  :thmup:  See, step one is "the treatment".......

But, I can't lie. I have a soft spot for when the Ravens always mouthed off over NE. Sigh, they do it so well.......and they have the passion to go with it too. Problem is Baltimore needs to win more regular season games so they um......you know host more playoff games. If they figure this out some season they might win another title.

One more thing since I feel as if I am spamming this thread. Every team will give NE their best shot this year. Thats what happens when you are the Champs.

So in a way I do expect us to somehow look like a real NFL football team this year vs. the Pats. I think....... :scratch:

Until recently, when the Texans have become more competitive, I never viewed them as much of a rivalry. I got that impression from quite a few Colts fans. The Titans and the Jags were rivalries, but the Texans seemed like an overeager little brother trying really hard to finally beat their big brother.

JJ Watt is the only player that even made them competitive in the first place. And they weren't even good until the season where we lost Manning and they still didn't sweep us.

Texans are an even bigger joke without AJ now and still no QB.

JJ Watt is the only player that even made them competitive in the first place. And they weren't even good until the season where we lost Manning and they still didn't sweep us.

They had a solid but not great QB in Matt Schaub before he lost confidence after the bad stretch of games with a pick he went through(His real problem before his meltdown was he could not stay healthy but the 3 years he played a full season he was decent to really good....2009), They also had a pretty solid O Line over the years as a whole, Johnathan Banks has been pretty solid for them since he got there, They also have a stud RB in Arian Foster......Its no joke being stuck in a division with one of the best QB's of all time for years like they were

You might want to consider that that "joke" went 9-7 last year without a quarterback.    That's not easy to do.

The next Texans QB might be on the roster?    Mallett or Savage might surprise....   or not.     Finding a QB is the hardest thing to do in football.

But Texas will be good again this year with O'Brien as their HC....

You might want to consider that that "joke" went 9-7 last year without a quarterback. That's not easy to do.

The next Texans QB might be on the roster? Mallett or Savage might surprise.... or not. Finding a QB is the hardest thing to do in football.

But Texas will be good again this year with O'Brien as their HC....

They also play in the AFC South, so they get the same 4 free wins we do when they actually field a decent team.

JJ Watt scares everyone. The Texans as a whole scare no one.

They also play in the AFC South, so they get the same 4 free wins we do when they actually field a decent team.

They have some good players on that roster not name Watt

I didn't say they scared anyone....

I just said they're not a joke.     That's all........

They had a solid but not great QB in Matt Schaub before he lost confidence after the bad stretch of games with a pick he went through(His real problem before his meltdown was he could not stay healthy but the 3 years he played a full season he was decent to really good....2009), They also had a pretty solid O Line over the years as a whole, Johnathan Banks has been pretty solid for them since he got there, They also have a stud RB in Arian Foster......Its no joke being stuck in a division with one of the best QB's of all time for years like they were

Isn't that the same o-line that played a pretty significant role in ruining David Carr's career?

Isn't that the same o-line that played a pretty significant role in ruining David Carr's career?

Probably should have clarified I was talking about the Matt Schaub years when I made that comment, Yeah the Texans O Line was awful prior to that.....I don't even think awful is a strong enough word...Its like they had a grudge against Carr and were intent on getting him maimed or worse, Though I'd put some of the pass blocking issues on Carr

Well, since after Peyton left in 2012, the teams have met four times with the Patriots winning the four games they played by a combined score of 189--73.  Not sure how that would qualify as a "rivalry" from the Patriots' perspective; in fact after Manning's departure, I imagine they viewed a Colts game as  "meh" game.  

However, I suspect that Deflategate probably changed that...as one pundit recently suggested, the Patriots will come to Indy with "blood dripping from their teeth" in October...not a good thing if your last game against them was a 45--7 blowout, including 28-0 in the second half when the balls were all "properly" inflated.  Maybe they could make Brady have to play with a fully inflated basketball this time...

But, if it helps motivate the Colts' locker room, I guess not mentioning the Patriots by name is as good a way as any.  Plus, it's a smart way not to say anything to the media that might aggravate them.  The Patriots aren't nice when they're aggravated.

It might help if we actually won once, or at least stayed within 73 points. Our rivalry with them left with #18. 

The latter. The rivalry really exists for Colts fans. There really is no natural rivalry here based on the two cities like there is for NY with us or even LA. I think it became what it was because of Brady/Manning. I really can't think of any Colts players that I really hated back in the day or even now. Even Manning is a good guy and likeable. Now the Jets? Different story. lol.

The latter. The rivalry really exists for Colts fans. There really is no natural rivalry here based on the two cities like there is for NY with us or even LA. I think it became what it was because of Brady/Manning. I really can't think of any Colts players that I really hated back in the day or even now. Even Manning is a good guy and likeable. Now the Jets? Different story. lol.

It's better termed from our perspective as viewing the Pats as a nemesis, or, the inescapable agent of our downfall. I need to see something more on our defensive side before I get too confident, but either way, I think our future matches should be far more competitive. 

I have a feeling that everyone is going to be hearing a LOT about AJ in 2015. IMO, this FA signing has been highly underrated. 

I agree. This guy is a fringe HOF candidate. He's not Donnie Avery, DHB or Hakeem Nicks. Grigson stopped messing around with middle shelf reclamation projects at WR and reached to the top for some fine product. He gives us the reliable possession receiver we haven't had since October 2013, and he adds big play potential at the same time. It's like turning back the hands of time on Reggie, only he's bigger. He immediately improves our offense.

It's better termed from our perspective as viewing the Pats as a nemesis, or, the inescapable agent of our downfall. I need to see something more on our defensive side before I get too confident, but either way, I think our future matches should be far more competitive. 

To me, they're just the team in the way. After you slay the dragon, you still have to climb the tower. They deserve special attention, given how badly they've been beating us, but there are 15 other games on the schedule. 

I agree. This guy is a fringe HOF candidate. He's not Donnie Avery, DHB or Hakeem Nicks. Grigson stopped messing around with middle shelf reclamation projects at WR and reached to the top for some fine product. He gives us the reliable possession receiver we haven't had since October 2013, and he adds big play potential at the same time. It's like turning back the hands of time on Reggie, only he's bigger. He immediately improves our offense.

Oh absolutely.

He's lost a step, but we remember one of Reggie's best seasons ever was after he lost a step or two himself (2012?). 

I'm a little taken aback by the lack of chatter about how this one add should frighten the pants off of all other AFC opponents. 

To me, they're just the team in the way. After you slay the dragon, you still have to climb the tower. They deserve special attention, given how badly they've been beating us, but there are 15 other games on the schedule. 

I guess we can either get better or hope someone else takes them out in the post season before us. 

I vote we get better. I would love to run into them this post season. ....here in Indy.

I guess we can either get better or hope someone else takes them out in the post season before us. 

I vote we get better. I would love to run into them this post season. ....here in Indy.

We need to get better regardless. Last season, there was still a separation between the Colts and the Pats, Steelers, Broncos (until later in the year), Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers... Nothing wrong with being a top 8 team three years after a major reboot, but it's time to crash the party and redecorate. 

I firmly believe that if the Ravens had held up their end of the deal, the Colts would have gone to the Super Bowl. Anything could have happened; last time we played Seattle, we won, but they definitely would have been favored. Either way, point is that we shouldn't build with an eye on just beating the Pats. The goal should be to improve the roster and the execution in every way possible.