Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston Texans owner: Andre Johnson lost a step

krunk

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we will find out. Andre did not look great last year but the QB situation was not good so ... Steve Smith is a great analogy here though. He had a nice season for the Ravens ...

I'm guessing you didn't watch many Texans games last year.

There is absolutely no doubt he's lost a step in the last 4 years. This has been talked to death on our side, way before he was released. He is still an exceptional route runner though. Just ask Vontae Davis.

Point is McNair is pretty much saying he's washed up or close to it. At least that's how I would read between the lines.

"Every athlete I think would like to play forever," McNair said. "They never want to acknowledge thatthey've lost a step or they can't quite do what they did before. Just look at history. Look at all the players. It just happens time and time again.

"We don't like to acknowledge that we're getting older. None of us do. That's just human nature, and I don't think that's going to change. ... They're used to being a star and they'd like to continue being a star. I don't blame 'em, I understand that."

Of coarse as you state he's for sure lost a step in 13 years in the NFL. But the question is how much off the fall off is due to catching passes with rag arms like Fitz and Keenum throwing to you ? 

Point is McNair is pretty much saying he's washed up or close to it. At least that's how I would read between the lines.

"Every athlete I think would like to play forever," McNair said. "They never want to acknowledge thatthey've lost a step or they can't quite do what they did before. Just look at history. Look at all the players. It just happens time and time again.

"We don't like to acknowledge that we're getting older. None of us do. That's just human nature, and I don't think that's going to change. ... They're used to being a star and they'd like to continue being a star. I don't blame 'em, I understand that."

Of coarse as you state he's for sure lost a step in 13 years in the NFL. But the question is how much off the fall off is due to catching passes with rag arms like Fitz and Keenum throwing to you ? 

He just sounds really bitter. Can't blame him. But he has two games to go against Johnson so that has to be motivation for his team ....

AJ is close to retirement, for sure. Maybe 2-3 years, tops. He's lost a step or two, no doubt about it. "Fall off" doesn't even need to be brought up. Sub-par QB play doesn't make a guy lose more steps. 

And Keenum threw to AJ constantly. He threw him a large number of TDs for as little time he played.

This is ridiculous - Texans owner says Andre Johnson has lost a step.  This statement is entirely irrelevant.

Andre Johnson has never had the luxury of playing with an elite Quarterback that can consistently hit him in the numbers. Also, Andre has never had the support that he will have here in Indy with Andrew, T.Y., Donte, Fleener and Allen. Just thinking of him added to that Group should give nightmares to Defensive Coordinator.  And then there's Frank Gore.

The Colts will have the #1 offense this coming year, hands down, and Andre Johnson will be a BIG part of that.

There is absolutely no doubt he's lost a step in the last 4 years. This has been talked to death on our side, way before he was released. He is still an exceptional route runner though. Just ask Vontae Davis.

Yep...I agree he has slowed down just a bit....but he is still WAY more than servicable....maybe gone from elite to great....but man why would you want to say anything publicly. Going to be on the guys locker all year long!! I'm happy though. We didn't need a burner....we didn't need a deep threat. We need someone to fill in that reggie from a couple years ago roll. Make big catches...move the chains...draw attention from the defense. AJ will definately do that if he stays healthy...he's had some little nagging injuries over the years but hopefully he is at his best for us. I know he will be motivated...but ALL players are motivated...the greats just channel a little more.

AJ is close to retirement, for sure. Maybe 2-3 years, tops. He's lost a step or two, no doubt about it. "Fall off" doesn't even need to be brought up. Sub-par QB play doesn't make a guy lose more steps. 

And Keenum threw to AJ constantly. He threw him a large number of TDs for as little time he played.

If it were the same Andre Johnson , he would have signed for 12-13 mill per year not 7. It appears that the Texans just shoved him out the door by explaining his role as they did. So now we'll wait and see if Cecil Shorts , who can't stay on the field , will be an upgrade. This probably will turn out with one team looking smarter than the other. 

If it were the same Andre Johnson , he would have signed for 12-13 mill per year not 7. It appears that the Texans just shoved him out the door by explaining his role as they did. So now we'll wait and see if Cecil Shorts , who can't stay on the field , will be an upgrade. This probably will turn out with one team looking smarter than the other. 

How many years did you get him for?

Yeah he has lost a step no doubt. I'm sorry Andre, can't root for you, you're now just another guy in the Texans way. I can't wait till the season starts, there is bad blood that needs to be settled.

That's understandable QuizBoy since AJ was often requesting more money or demanding to be traded to another franchise a lot. I'd get tired of that broken record really fast too. I get where you're coming from. 

Yep we'll just wait and see won't we?

Why does everyone keep saying that? I thought Vontae handled his self pretty well against Johnson. Johnson and DT are the two he has had the most success against. Johnson may have gotten a good route and catch in here and there, but for the most part I thought Vontae held his own.

That's understandable QuizBoy since AJ was often requesting more money or demanding to be traded to another franchise a lot. I'd get tired of that broken record really fast too. I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, things have been ugly for a while now. We appreciate what he did for the franchise of course. His name is synonymous with Houston Texans, he will still be welcomed when he comes back to retire no doubt.

Somebody is a little saltyyyyy that Johnson wanted a real QB throwing him the ball(Fitz aint horrible but he obviously aint good either). In all seriousness though yeah Johnson is not quite as quick as he used to be (as should be expected).....But he put up 936 yards with back up QB's throwing him the ball...That cant be denied.....Think about that.....936.....He still had 58.5 yards a game average with back up QB's throwing him the ball.

Yeah, things have been ugly for a while now. We appreciate what he did for the franchise of course. His name is synonymous with Houston Texans, he will still be welcomed when he comes back to retire no doubt.

Look, I like your franchise a lot & I know that Dustin & Jvan tease you often about not having an elite QB. The truth is INDY got lucky twice with Peyton & now Andrew. If Ryan Mallett can stay healthy, your club is gonna be a pain in the caboose to deal with. I know that. 

But, I also know it sucks to lose a good WR inside the same AFC South division even if AJ's just a hair slower. I try to remember that because someday in free agency your organization is gonna sign 1 of INDY's most beloved players who still has tread on their tires. 

Take Care of JJ for me & tell Clowney to hurry up with his rehab will ya. I just want JJ to get so more help. PS you can sack Luck if you want; just please try not to injure him. Thanks man. LOL! 

Yeah he has lost a step no doubt. I'm sorry Andre, can't root for you, you're now just another guy in the Texans way. I can't wait till the season starts, there is bad blood that needs to be settled.

The Jags and Titans are in the Texans way, not the Colts.

Look, I like your franchise a lot & I know that Dustin & Jvan tease you often about not having an elite QB. The truth is INDY got lucky twice with Peyton & now Andrew. If Ryan Mallett can stay healthy, your club is gonna be a pain in the caboose to deal with. I know that. 

But, I also know it sucks to lose a good WR inside the same AFC South division even if AJ's just a hair slower. I try to remember that because someday in free agency your organization is gonna sign 1 of INDY's most beloved players who still has tread on their tires. 

Take Care of JJ for me & tell Clowney to hurry up with his rehab will ya. I just want JJ to get so more help. PS you can sack Luck if you want; just please try not to injure him. Thanks man. LOL!

Ryan Mullett is gonna give the Colts headaches? :)

The Jags and Titans are in the Texans way, not the Colts.

Speaking of Tennessee, any news on Philip Rivers coming to the AFC South yet? 

http://www.hngn.com/articles/80007/20150325/san-diego-chargers-rumors-philip-rivers-trade-possible.htm

". ..But the fact that they have not done a long-term extension and won't be doing a long-term extension does raise some possibilities, including ...a potential trade maybe with the Tennessee Titans. I've talked to several sources about this with the Chargers, they have said 'We do not want to trade Philip Rivers, we want him to retire a member of the Chargers.' What I have not heard is, 'We will not be trading him.' Now, that being said, the Chargers know the importance of a good quarterback, a great quarterback, you cannot win without him, so what would it take to trade Philip Rivers? A lot. Multiple first-round picks."

Oh mother of God no! I'd be dumping bricks if this trade actually unfolded. Stay on the West Coast Phillip. The sunshine suits you well.

Phillip scares me to death & I know how he just doesn't back down ever. He just keeps moving the chains & being a thorn in the side to whatever foe he faces. It's mutual respect out of fear actually.