Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the 29th Pick of the 2015 NFL Draft: The Indianapolis Colts Select ...

A dominant young NT should be first priority.  I expect Leonard Williams, Danny Shelton, and Malcolm Brown to be gone by the time the Colts pick.  If any of those three DTs should fall to pick 29, it's a no-brainer.  Once those three are off the board, Grigson should select one of the remaining top-caliber D-Linemen:  Arik Armstead, Eddie Goldman, or Jordan Phillips.  Given a choice of these three, I'd pick Eddie Goldman first.

nothing wrong with that, gore wont be around long and gordon/ gurley may well be BPA.

that said i would say

Dline, any position

safety

Oline

Melvin Gordon in the 1st round would be a huge mistake.  Any RB in the 1st would be a mistake, and regardless of the hype I am not even sure I think Gordon is the 2nd best RB in this draft class.

Melvin Gordon in the 1st round would be a huge mistake.  Any RB in the 1st would be a mistake,

we will have to disagree on that.  if the board falls a certain way gurley or gordon could be a good pick.  hopefully we can get one of the best Dline players at the point imo, but i wouldnt rule out RB, in fact i think we should consider it

we will have to disagree on that.  if the board falls a certain way gurley or gordon could be a good pick.  hopefully we can get one of the best Dline players at the point imo, but i wouldnt rule out RB, in fact i think we should consider it

Just like many others here I have looked at tons of mock drafts and have yet to see one where the best option for the Colts is taking a RB at #29. We have enough other needs that there will be an equivalently good player at a position of greater need available when we pick, even trading back is a better option. 

Whit the 29th pick in the 2015 nfl draft: the Indianapolis Colts select Melvin Gordon university of Wiscon BOOYAAAH!!!

While I appreciate the Big 10 support Stone, the Badgers aren't exactly known for creating game changing backs that transition well at the next level. Gordon isn't associated with blocking very well & I would need to see him perform blitz pick up against NFL LBs & premier pass rushers before I even think about drafting him. My answer right now on Melvin: No way in hades. 

Besides with Ballard, Boom Herron, & Gore in our current rotation, INDY's sitting pretty good at that spot anyway IMO. 

No way a rb in the first round is a mistake. I prefer Coleman in the 2nd if he falls that far but Gordon/Gurley not a bad choice. It is a position of need for us.

not really.  sure it would be nice to have a stronger #2 back and someone to replace Gore in 2-3 years, but it's not even close to a first round "need".

Melvin Gordon in the 1st round would be a huge mistake.  Any RB in the 1st would be a mistake, and regardless of the hype I am not even sure I think Gordon is the 2nd best RB in this draft class.

Well said esmort. As a general rule of thumb, avoid WI completely when it comes to drafting RB's. Our school is good at drafting decent TE's, DE's, & O-lineman on average. 

Well said esmort. As a general rule of thumb, avoid WI completely when it comes to drafting RB's. Our school is good at drafting decent TE's, DE's, & O-lineman on average. 

I agree, the OL he ran behind was awesome and they also opened up some holes for him to make a lot of crazy long runs, he is never going to get that many of those type long runs in the NFL ... he will occasionally break off a long run in the NFL, but nothing like the crazy number he had in college.

Just like many others here I have looked at tons of mock drafts and have yet to see one where the best option for the Colts is taking a RB at #29. We have enough other needs that there will be an equivalently good player at a position of greater need available when we pick, even trading back is a better option.

What position is a greater need? There might be a couple but if we can get the best RB in the draft at 29 then that would be pretty good value and fill a need.

I like that better than taking 4th or 5th line man on either side

What position is a greater need? There might be a couple but if we can get the best RB in the draft at 29 then that would be pretty good value and fill a need.

I like that better than taking 4th or 5th line man on either side

Every position other than QB, P, K. and TE ... and I might even grab a stud TE if there was one available (in a draft class that wasn't devoid of TE talent). RB is not a 1st round position.

Sure it is. Im ok with having an unpopular opinion on this though. Ideally id like to see a great defender fall to us though

If we want to continue to have a lights-out offense and a completely mediocre defense that eventually caves in in the postseason, then sure go RB 1st round

Sure it is. Im ok with having an unpopular opinion on this though. Ideally id like to see a great defender fall to us though

Plenty of people share your opinion.  I just happen to believe that in all but the rarest of circumstances RB a team shouldn't use a 1st rnd pick on a RB.  The fact that we can use almost any position that happens to fall to us (OL,DL, and pretty much every other position on the defense) makes spending a 1st on a RB a luxury we can't afford, especially in a deep RB class when we can easily get good RBs in the 3rd & 4th and most likely even later.

RBs are often replaceable with a back up, practice squad player, or even a FA often without significant drop off, it's one of the only positions that that you can pick up a guy off the street mid-season and still have a legitimate chance of getting decent to high performance from the position.

Would I like to have Gurley? ... Heck Yeah ... Do I think he is worth a 1st? ... Nope 

Plenty of people share your opinion.  I just happen to believe that in all but the rarest of circumstances RB a team shouldn't use a 1st rnd pick on a RB.  The fact that we can use almost any position that happens to fall to us (OL,DL, and pretty much every other position on the defense) makes spending a 1st on a RB a luxury we can't afford, especially in a deep RB class when we can easily get good RBs in the 3rd & 4th and most likely even later.

RBs are often replaceable with a back up, practice squad player, or even a FA often without significant drop off, it's one of the only positions that that you can pick up a guy off the street mid-season and still have a legitimate chance of getting decent to high performance from the position.

Would I like to have Gurley? ... Heck Yeah ... Do I think he is worth a 1st? ... Nope 

I think your post is perfectly reasonable and fair....

But I'd like to add this....   (and it's not directed at you)

If Gurley or Gordon are there when we pick and we pass....   and either one turns into something great...   there will be a number of posters here who will go crazy on Grigson.    Won't matter that they've said we shouldn't use a 1st on a RB,  they'll flip-flop, and say we should've grabbed the guy,  and we passed and now he's great and Grigson blew it -- again!

For some, it's a never lose scenario.   They'll change their view as often as is possible so they're never wrong....

3 positions? I'll go in order of most to least likely:

1. D-lineman

2. O-lineman

3. Linebacker

If there was a safety worth our 1st round pick that would be #3 but I don't think there is one.

If I'm going with a specific guy to predict, maybe someone like Jordan Phillips (if he reaches us). 

Arik Armstead(he is kind of raw but he has all the tools to be an excellent 3-4 DE).

If M. Peters still on the board i would take him that would make the Colts CB one of the best of the league but trouble players hasn't been handled really well on Indy(Da'Rick, Purifloy).

Otherwise i would trade down and get another 2nd and maybe a 3rd, we could get a serviceable S or an ILB.

I think your post is perfectly reasonable and fair....

But I'd like to add this....   (and it's not directed at you)

If Gurley or Gordon are there when we pick and we pass....   and either one turns into something great...   there will be a number of posters here who will go crazy on Grigson.    Won't matter that they've said we shouldn't use a 1st on a RB,  they'll flip-flop, and say we should've grabbed the guy,  and we passed and now he's great and Grigson blew it -- again!

For some, it's a never lose scenario.   They'll change their view as often as is possible so they're never wrong....

I agree many will do that ... there will definitely be some complaining if we pass on Gurley or Gordon regardless; but if we pass on them and the player we draft doesn't make an immediate impact or at least show some significant potential, combined with Gurley or Gordon having a great season I am sure the board will probably melt down with people screaming for Grigson's head. 

I admit if Grigson whiff's on another 1st round pick I will be pretty aggravated, and will definitely expect him to be on the hot seat at the end of the season (unless maybe he hits home runs with a significant portion of the other draft picks ... lol); but it won't be because he did not draft Gurley or Gordon.

I just don't think I will ever be able to get on board with a 1st round RB in any draft ... the ROI for spending a 1st rnd round pick on a RB vs what we could get in a later round just seems marginal compared to many other positions. 

Maybe if the stars aligned perfectly and we were stacked at every position, with starting caliber back ups for the guys who may get injured, retire, or become free agents I would be all for a 1st rnd RB ... but unfortunately I don't see that scenario ever being reality.

I agree many will do that ... there will definitely be some complaining if we pass on Gurley or Gordon regardless; but if we pass on them and the player we draft doesn't make an immediate impact or at least show some significant potential, combined with Gurley or Gordon having a great season I am sure the board will probably melt down with people screaming for Grigson's head. 

I admit if Grigson whiff's on another 1st round pick I will be pretty aggravated, and will definitely expect him to be on the hot seat at the end of the season (unless maybe he hits home runs with a significant portion of the other draft picks ... lol); but it won't be because he did not draft Gurley or Gordon.

I just don't think I will ever be able to get on board with a 1st round RB in any draft ... the ROI for spending a 1st rnd round pick on a RB vs what we could get in a later round just seems marginal compared to many other positions. 

Maybe if the stars aligned perfectly and we were stacked at every position, with starting caliber back ups for the guys who may get injured, retire, or become free agents I would be all for a 1st rnd RB ... but unfortunately I don't see that scenario ever being reality.

I'm of the view we should find a RB in this draft in the 4th round.

I'd like to use our first 3 picks on defense and the OL.

But I agree,  Grigson is pushing his chips into the center of the table.   He's got to do well in this draft.

I'm of the view we should find a RB in this draft in the 4th round.

I'd like to use our first 3 picks on defense and the OL.

But I agree,  Grigson is pushing his chips into the center of the table.   He's got to do well in this draft.

Don't worry, NewColtsFan, he will! Grigs is tough. He'll show it in the draft to back up the FAs thus far and to insert new ones to plug up the holes in the lines.