Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

improved NT play, improved LB play

Deano1818

It's been proven in most cases, with improved interior OL play, the running attack also improves.....

An average RB, "looks" to be better, when there are holes open, and the RB can get up to speed

If our new FA guard gets back to the level he was at before, we are much better on the OL.

In the same way, in a 3-4, the 2 ILBs look MUCH better, when the NT is doing his job.

A LB will always look better when the NT forces the RB to slow down to find another hole.

Our 2 ILBs are almost always taking on the G as well as taking on the RB, because our NT is handled one on one.

He needs to command a double team.

Our ILBs are average at best. A better NT, will make the ILBs look much better, and allow us to actually have the "monster" that we keep hearing about

To me, this is the single biggest hole that must be addressed on defense before the season starts

There are 2-3 rookies that potentially fill that spot.

There are still 1-3 FAs that could fill that spot

We need to do this

our ILB are average at best wow. didnt know average ILB could combine for 200 tackles while missing games. didnt know having one bad game made you average. 

Two bad games - both against the Patriots.  Our run defense was pretty good otherwise, right?

As always, it's a matter of matchups and the Pats know how to get the best of it.  Blame that on our coaches.

But the OP is right, a dominant NT is the key to a good run stopping 3-4 D.  Every team in the league that runs that D would love to have one.  They don't grow on trees.

Two bad games - both against the Patriots.  Our run defense was pretty good otherwise, right?

As always, it's a matter of matchups and the Pats know how to get the best of it.  Blame that on our coaches.

But the OP is right, a dominant NT is the key to a good run stopping 3-4 D.  Every team in the league that runs that D would love to have one.  They don't grow on trees.

chapman reallly isnt as bad as people think. you also have to keep in mind that was his first full season starting. his first year he was basically redshirted and then year two he was splitting time with franklin

chapman reallly isnt as bad as people think. you also have to keep in mind that was his first full season starting. his first year he was basically redshirted and then year two he was splitting time with franklin

Agreed. He was okay, not great. An 800 pound safe is useless if it's not on wheels. I hope he makes a leap this year.

In a true 34 you need a true NT. I'm not sure how often the Colts run a true 34, but rather a hybrid. I don't know how many opportunities a true NT would have during a game to take on the double team. Besides, the Pats attacked the smaller DE, Redding, in the last few games.

I think the Colts did poorly when they were angle blocked, not necessarily when Chapman was run at.

I don't see what has been done to prevent the Pats from running all over us like road kill again.

Lack of scheming killed us. The talent is there now.

Once we sold out to the run they ate is up with Gronk in the first game.

Need a better approach. They were always 5 steps ahead of us on the game plan.

Meh, I don't remember the Ravens or Niners have anything special at NT the last several yrs. Although brandon Williams is turning into a stud.

It's been proven in most cases, with improved interior OL play, the running attack also improves.....

A LB will always look better when the NT forces the RB to slow down to find another hole.

Our 2 ILBs are almost always taking on the G as well as taking on the RB, because our NT is handled one on one.

He needs to command a double team.

You are correct, but what happens when the offense runs between the G and T or the T and the TE? What player on a 34 D needs to hold up then? How did teams run against the Colts the past two years?

If the offense is not running at the NT, you could argue that the D would benefit from a quicker NT that could shoot the gap and take out the ankle of the RB.

our ILB are average at best wow. didnt know average ILB could combine for 200 tackles while missing games. didnt know having one bad game made you average.

they both are pretty bad in coverage tons of tackles is great but means nothing when you can't cover a TE

Meh, I don't remember the Ravens or Niners have anything special at NT the last several yrs. Although brandon Williams is turning into a stud.

Yes Williams is a good NT.  I think your point is that those two teams stop the run?   

I think I said earlier that our run D was not bad - except when we played the Pats.  They know how to exploit our D and out gameplan us.  A great NT would dispel some of that, but like I said, it's not like their out their looking for jobs.

Yes Williams is a good NT.  I think your point is that those two teams stop the run?   

I think I said earlier that our run D was not bad - except when we played the Pats.  They know how to exploit our D and out gameplan us.  A great NT would dispel some of that, but like I said, it's not like their out their looking for jobs.

Point was you don't need a top NT to stop the run. Maybe if you're the steelers or another team that plays a lot 3 man fronts.

To be on an NFL roster is an accomplishment

To be a starter as an ILB is an accomplishment

Average is "middle of the pack".

You would put our two ILB in the upper echelon of the NFL?

I put them as middle of the pack.

My point is we could take these 2 ILBs and they would do much better with a stud NT

That is all

You are correct, but what happens when the offense runs between the G and T or the T and the TE? What player on a 34 D needs to hold up then? How did teams run against the Colts the past two years?If the offense is not running at the NT, you could argue that the D would benefit from a quicker NT that could shoot the gap and take out the ankle of the RB.

A NT that could shoot the gap, and be a "refrigerator" would be ideal, just not many of them to choose from

The reality is, we need some better DL across the board

DE is critical as well.

My point is we could take these 2 ILBs and they would do much better with a stud NT

That is all

That is all

DQ led the AFC in tackles!

I've seen several people agree with the OP or say that's commons sense (rightfully so), but what I don't get, everybody and their brothers could not possibly acknowledge the fact our interior OL had 1. Mewhort (rookie) 2.  Harrison Holmes and Shipley (aside from Shipley, the other two pretty much were rookies seeing their first action) 3. Thornton or a different fill in (subpar players, whom a lot agree just aren't good starters).  The combination of this interior OL was pretty bad.... Furthermore, it was hardly their fault for Trent's performance.  Oh, well ask the question well how did Bradshaw and Herron do well?  Completely ignoring the different running styles, and how they're used.  They had more speed and finesse, so they can break runs to the outside.

It seems that people like to jump on the popular idea's of whatever is going around at that time perhaps!?!?!

Completely agree. You can get away with sub par ILB play in a 3-4 if the NT is great.

We need new LBs regardless but our line isn't that good. Chapman gets manhandled routinely by just the center. People saying otherwise probably just look at PFF and not tape. Go back and watch him against the Bengals in the playoffs. Russell Bodine handled him all day long.

We need an upgrade for sure. Jordan Phillips, Malcolm Brown and Eddie Goldman could all fit that roll.

I don't see what has been done to prevent the Pats from running all over us like road kill again.

Teams run the ball when they want to control the game. One way we will prevent that is to have a functional run game and a dominant pass game. Regardless of how we may still beef up some before the season on the Dline, a more effective offense that makes the Pats go to the air will help against being run over like road kill.

I expect us to go D-line heavy in the draft. I would love for us to get armstead

I certainly hope that's what we do. We need some big upgrades at DL and the more we have the better the D will be. I hope we don't reach for a safety since the class isn't good this year. I would love armstead though.

I certainly hope that's what we do. We need some big upgrades at DL and the more we have the better the D will be. I hope we don't reach for a safety since the class isn't good this year. I would love armstead though.

check out my mock draft

Chapman has got to play better. I think he will! The Jackson & Freeman show was good not great! I think they will play better, but NEITHER is as big as you would like for a 3/4 IIB IMO. They are very close to the same type of Guy! For them to really succeed the DL has to play well an occupy the OLmen and the DL gets manhandled a lot for us? I really could use a real enforcer type a thumper in there! It has been a while since the Colts have had one for sure!

Chapman has got to play better. I think he will! The Jackson & Freeman show was good not great! I think they will play better, but NEITHER is as big as you would like for a 3/4 IIB IMO. They are very close to the same type of Guy! For them to really succeed the DL has to play well an occupy the OLmen and the DL gets manhandled a lot for us? I really could use a real enforcer type a thumper in there! It has been a while since the Colts have had one for sure!

I agree, but dont think we have EVER had an enforcer type DL person (While in Indy)

In a true 34 you need a true NT. I'm not sure how often the Colts run a true 34, but rather a hybrid. I don't know how many opportunities a true NT would have during a game to take on the double team. Besides, the Pats attacked the smaller DE, Redding, in the last few games.

I think the Colts did poorly when they were angle blocked, not necessarily when Chapman was run at.

Is Chapman ever going to become the player we all hoped he would be?