Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

improved NT play, improved LB play

Deano1818

In a true 34 you need a true NT. I'm not sure how often the Colts run a true 34, but rather a hybrid. I don't know how many opportunities a true NT would have during a game to take on the double team. Besides, the Pats attacked the smaller DE, Redding, in the last few games.

I think the Colts did poorly when they were angle blocked, not necessarily when Chapman was run at.

chapman is a true NT.  he just isnt that great at it

chapman is a true NT.  he just isnt that great at it

My point is that in the Colts D, I don't think any true NT would play more than 35% of the snaps, and would get directly run at less than that.  So I'm not sure that having a great NT is essential in the D the Colts run, since it isn't a pure 34.

Besides, If he wasn't any good, I wouldv'e thought the Pats would run at him rather than at the Redding/RJF spot, which is where I think the D really got gashed.

I just charted the Ravens game and the Colts used a NT (0-tech or 1-tech) on 38 of 57 plays (66%).

That number would have been higher if not for going full pass rush mode at the end of the game (used a NT twice on the final 10 plays)

I just charted the Ravens game and the Colts used a NT (0-tech or 1-tech) on 38 of 57 plays (66%).

So maybe the Colts do typically run a standard 34 and need a stouter NT.  Fine, but having a standard NT has not been the assertions made by others since Pagano got here.

Did the Ravens run for a lot?  I don't recall Forsett being the problem Jonas grey was.

So maybe the Colts do typically run a standard 34 and need a stouter NT.  Fine, but having a standard NT has not been the assertions made by others since Pagano got here.

Did the Ravens run for a lot?  I don't recall Forsett being the problem Jonas grey was.

They only ran 15 times. 

Only five of those 38 plays had only 2 down linemen. 

Of course, the 1-tech is more likely to gap, and less likely to be Josh Chapman. He and Montori Hughes need to anchor the middle, pending what the draft brings.

That number would have been higher if not for going full pass rush mode at the end of the game (used a NT twice on the final 10 plays)

So the Colts D is designed (draft picks and FA pickups) upon a one dimensional NT like Chapman being in the game 66% of the time, and only taken out during obvious passing downs.  I'll remember that for future reference.

So the Colts D is designed (draft picks and FA pickups) upon a one dimensional NT like Chapman being in the game 66% of the time, and only taken out during obvious passing downs.  I'll remember that for future reference.

If they're using a NT on a pass rushing down, it's Montori Hughes. 

They only ran 15 times. 

Then why would a pure NT be in there so much?  That seems like a lack of other types of players being activated/available rather than any shortcomings Chapman may have.

So wouldn't Chapman being on the field a lot be a reason the Ravens avoided the run?

I get the sense you're trying to be argumentative but I'll be dmd if I can follow

Then why would a pure NT be in there so much?  That seems like a lack of other types of players being activated/available rather than any shortcomings Chapman may have.

So wouldn't Chapman being on the field a lot be a reason the Ravens avoided the run?

He wasn't on the field a lot. He only played 14 snaps. 

I don't recall Forsett being the problem Jonas grey was.

No one was the problem Jonas Grey was, except LeGarrette Blount.

Also, when Arian Foster had success, it was almost always with Chapman on the bench. We played a lot of nickel / 2 down DL in the first Texans game because we jumped out to an early lead. 

Can you expand? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. 

33 of the 38 times they used a 0-tech or 1-tech, it was in a 3 down linemen formation. The other 5 times, there were 2 down linemen (more likely a nickel situation or an "amoeba" formation).

Just a side point.

I didn't know we were having an argument. I'm definitely not. 

Well....I'm trying to understand why you referenced the Ravens game, where they ran 15 times, as having anything to do with the topic of the thread.   It seemed like a contrarian statement made for no reason other than to be contrarian. 

I merely pointed out that a player with one dimensional services, like Chap (a NT), is not what the D typically calls for.  The D may just as frequently call for a non-pure NT (Hughes or possibly Jones) to line up at NT frequently, depending upon the situation.  In the Pats games, or the Ravens game, was the NT play by either player the source of the problem, IMO.

Well....I'm trying to understand why you referenced the Ravens game, where they ran 15 times, as having anything to do with the topic of the thread.   It seemed like a contrarian statement made for no reason other than to be contrarian. 

You said you didn't know how often the Colts used a pure-NT, I was just relaying info I gathered from the game I just finished chartng

He wasn't on the field a lot. He only played 14 snaps. 

You said you didn't know how often the Colts used a pure-NT, I was just relaying info I gathered from the game I just finished chartng

I meant using a player who is a pure-NT, not how often any player lines up at one of the NT positions.