Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All FA Concerns/Gripes/Complaints (Mega Merge)

Dark Superman

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about a total overhaul... Does anyone see the 49ers finishing w/ a .500 record next year?

#49ers SB XLVII defensive starters (*gone): *McDonald *Sopoaga *JSmith ASmith Brooks Bowman *Willis *Rogers *Brown *Goldson *Whitner

— Cam Inman (@CamInman)

March 9, 2015

Too soon to tell.   Hyde is ready to take over for Gore.   They got Docket which is huge.   Plenty of time left. 

One player on D can fix a lot around the defense. Superman showed us our cap management and it wouldn't hinder us. It would just be a lot of cap space on a constantly growing cap that Grigson has rolled over and managed greatly. I'm traveling for the Miami/Indy game this year and will get to see first hand our mistake.

the cap hit is just one reason the Colts didnt sign him. There have been several other well documented reasons such as disciplinary reasons, questions of can he make the switch from a 4/3 to a 3/4. Also just because you can manipulate the cap to overpay for a guy like Suh doesn't mean you should. Having nearly a third of your cap tied up in two players is not a wise long term plan and will prohibit you from making other moves in the future to further improve the roster. Also, if a guy like Suh doesn't work out for whatever reason, like say he doesn't transition to a 3/4 then your up the creak without a paddle because releasing him would cripple your cap number.

the cap hit is just one reason the Colts didnt sign him. There have been several other well documented reasons such as disciplinary reasons, questions of can he make the switch from a 4/3 to a 3/4. Also just because you can manipulate the cap to overpay for a guy like Suh doesn't mean you should. Having nearly a third of your cap tied up in two players is not a wise long term plan and will prohibit you from making other moves in the future to further improve the roster. Also, if a guy like Suh doesn't work out for whatever reason, like say he doesn't transition to a 3/4 then your up the creak without a paddle because releasing him would cripple your cap number.

I just see it as a spot of serious need that can get us a Superbowl win for the next couple seasons. I would love to get Wilfork now.

I just see it as a spot of serious need that can get us a Superbowl win for the next couple seasons. I would love to get Wilfork now.

i agree it's a major area of need. I think there are cheaper and maybe better ways to fill it like a guy like Wilfork like you suggested.

The Colts are following the rules by not announcing deals before the official start of the season. Other than that we have no idea what the front office is doing. At this point, everything happening outside of the Colts organization is only speculation. The media needs something to talk about.

Yeah I've been concerned about it. But I mean McCourty's gone but there's still Gibson, Hill, and Searcy. I'm hoping we sign Andre Johnson, Haloti Ngata, Nick Fairly, Greg Hardy, and Tashaun Gibson. That would give us 3 young defensive players in their prime to build around, and that we'd have playing at a high level for several years, and two vets who still have pro bowl potential.

I don't like getting into a bidding war over Gore.

He would be helpful, but not helpful enough to overspend.

I would much rather get CJ Spiller at 3 million a year for 4 years. He is young and doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. While he is not going to withstand a beating for 20 weeks by carrying the ball 25 times a game, he can be a game wrecker with 10-20 touches each outing.

Not concerned right now because the guys I want are still there: Knighton, Searcy, Gipson, Sheard are still available. I just hope Grigson isn't fishing in the mediocre, injury prone player sea and signs just someone to fill a gap. We need some long term solutions and guys that make an impact. 

The colts have always kept their cards close to their chest. The thing I like about all these players saying "I'm signing with so and so for xx years and xxx dollars, means we know exactly what the offer is, not what the agent "says" it is. If the colts want Gore, give him the same contract as Philly but add 1M a year to it, and Gore is a colt. People think we're "missing out" maybe we just don't value some players like other teams do?

Many of the top tier players are for all intents and purposes signed by other teams now. Quit a few names were mentioned as possible colts targets and or us on here would have liked. Maybe it b another quiet free agency with low tier guys or old guys. Btw iupati is signing with Arizona.

nobody has signed anywhere yet

Only concerned about offensive line upgrades. I like Herremans, but guys his age have a tendency to break down.

To be fair, guys much younger than him have been breaking down too. ;)

Maybe his healthy streak continues for another year.

I don't like getting into a bidding war over Gore.

He would be helpful, but not helpful enough to overspend.

I would much rather get CJ Spiller at 3 million a year for 4 years. He is young and doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. While he is not going to withstand a beating for 20 weeks by carrying the ball 25 times a game, he can be a game wrecker with 10-20 touches each outing.

I do not want Frank Gore. He is not worth the money.

He's out of shape and older.

He'd be a good 3rd down back, but why overpay for that.

I agree with you on Spiller. He's worth what he's going to get paid.

I'd like to see what is going to happen with AP first although I don't think we have anyone to trade for him.

Everyone is saying he wants out of Minny and he could succeed behind our line.

I saw Iupati connected to the Jets from the NY sports radio website

In my mind, Iupati is the best OL available this offseason.

I hoped we would make a strong run for him, and maybe we did. Who knows?

We will find out where he lands soon enough though.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/575070936040402944?s=09

Indianapolis made strong run at Frank Gore over weekend before Eagles offered more. But Gore has struggled with decision. Colts back in mix.

Funny...I actually wouldn't mind Gore.  I'm hoping we end up with him.  The tweet says he's struggling about his decision.  This may not even be about the money.  He could be having second thoughts playing for Chip Kelly (who could blame him) or perhaps he really prefers Indy and can see himself there moreso.  It would be funny if he signed with us for less than he originally did with the Eagles.

I don't think there is a bunch to worry about, but I definitely don't like what I see.  If we had 7th most cap space there is ABSOLUTELY no reason, to sign mediocre players.  NO REASON, to overpay Nick Fairley, or Frank Gore.  I'm not saying they wouldn't help us, but there are many other players we could pay to be a whole lot better.  Glad we didn't match Mia contract with Suh, but there was still Knighton and Ngata, would be better than Fairley IMO.  We get Herreman instead of Iupati?  Looking like Gore more than Murray or trading for AP?  It looks like we want to get old man Trent Cole?  I mean I just don't get it?  I haven't heard much on Justin Houston, except a report yesterday said he was unhappy with Cheifs offer.  PAY THAT MAN GRIGSON!  I would be happy if we got Gore, Cole, and Fairley on top of (Herreman) only if we made major upgrades in other spots with Searcy and Houston. 

"they don't hand out Lombardi Trophies for winning the offseason.

And there's a reason why: Free agency is very risky."

It's not too risky to pay for the best players if they fit your system.  Or just really good players within reason.  Im pretty Suh will fit in Mia just fine, or wherever Revis ends up.