Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where's the Upgrade? Numbers don't lie

Can some one tell me how old these players are i know Gore, Cole, Adams are 30+ with Langford, Reitz and Butler in the late 20s, i feel like we are last yrs Raiders signing older declining players to big money... I still dont see an upgrade either.. Sorry for my negativity i just hate that not a single impact player has been signed... Yet

The Colts are trying to implement a "systematic" football team that compliments all players. New England has done this for years and has been kicking our cans every season. Irsay, Grigson, and Pagano now realize to fight fire with fire. Plain and simplistic. Ever wonder why Belichik's replacements every couple of years do so well? (Names outta nowheresville become stars.) The key to the NFL success

manual is "systematic" football players that get plugged into certain "postioning" roles and are very good at it.

Indianapolis is finally learning that lesson in the new era of NFL football.

Can some one tell me how old these players are i know Gore, Cole, Adams are 30+ with Langford, Reitz and Butler in the late 20s, i feel like we are last yrs Raiders signing older declining players to big money... I still dont see an upgrade either.. Sorry for my negativity i just hate that not a single impact player has been signed... Yet

I never knew Gore, Cole and potentially AJ were non impact players.

So far I haven't seen the big money you are talking about.

I like what we are doing vets in key spots where we have younger players.

Get AJ done and find a S. We are lining up to be in a position to take the BPA in the draft.

Langford haters are in for a surprise although you'll probably miss it just think it's great LB play

Redding: 2014; 3.5 sacks, 35 tackles

RJF: 2014; 3.0 sacks, 28 tackles

Kendall Langford: 2014; 1 sack, 17 tackles.. 2013; 36 tackles, 5 sacks

wash? where's the upgrade?

Werner: 2014; 37 tackles, 4 sacks

Cole: 2014; 52 tackles, 6.5 sacks

Wow.. Upgrade? not much

these are great signings if we are just replacing guys with guys, but if we we're trying to get BETTER DEFENSIVELY this is horrible

Did I miss something?

Is Free Agency over?      Were all free agents signed on the very first day?!?

Have they held the draft?      If so,  who did we get?

Are our rosters set?

No.....   numbers don't lie (actually,  they do...)   but the title of this thread sure does!!!

Get back to us in July will you and tell us what your numbers say....

Wow.. Upgrade? not much

these are great signings if we are just replacing guys with guys, but if we we're trying to get BETTER DEFENSIVELY this is horrible

Not sure where you're getting the 17 tackles 1 sack for Langford...unless you're comparing solo of one player vs assisted vs another.

Solo tackles is a bad stat for a lineman, as they hardly ever be the sole player to tackle. Total stats for Langford the past 2 years.

2013 - 49 tackles, 4 sacks

2014 - 25 tackles, 1 sack (only 4 starts)

If you're trying to judge a 3-4 defensive lineman based on stats, you're doing it wrong.

However, I agree, I don't think the DL is better yet. But the 2015 season is five hours young. There's little need to even have this conversation right now.

As for for Trent Cole vs. Bjoern Werner, well, Cole is better, bottom line. Plus, Mathis will be back, and the development of Werner and Newsome will help.

Unless you just want to complain because we didn't sign your favorite guy... In which case, I might as well be talking to the wall...

Dude you talk to walls!! That is so cool...what do they say back ?? :P

And I'm just glad we aren't throwing reckless money after proven players who (just like some semi-proven) may or may not pan out as one expects. It's nice to see cap room and the ability to keep guys we want and go after fairly solid depth at the same time.

Seriously; you could be a redskin fan or raider fan or jaguar fan...enough said. Grigs is a pretty smart dude when it comes to numbers and I think he's doing just fine. I'll take where we are at and where we are going against almost every team in the league right now.

That is the sentence of all sentences that describes the Colts FA today! We are last year's Raiders! Bingo! Nothing to be happy about. The money isn't real bad, but we're basically wasting it on over the hill guys. Next up, 34 year old Andre Johnson!

1. Gore on his worst day will still be better than trent, that's an upgrade.

2. Cole, I view him as an insurance policy if Mathis can't go. Frankly since we had one true pass rusher last year in the rookie Newsome anything they get from Cole and Mathis in that department will be upgrade.

3. Adams was a pro-bowl safety last year, he doesn't need to be an upgrade just keep doing what he's doing.

4. Langford is a cheaper replacement for RJF. Maybe not a big upgrade but saved some money.

5. Reitz is solid depth to the o-line as he can play any position but center. He's what you want as a backup lineman. The fact we signed the Eagles guard lets him be just a backup.

6. Butler, again the Colts starting corners didn't need an upgrade they are the strength of the defense and you could argue no one has a set of 1-3 corners better in the league than the Colts.

So there you go. Also, all these deals are short term. The only one over two years is Gore. There is nothing here that is going to cripple the Colts if it doesn't work which I am sure at least one or two of these moves will fail. No GM has a completely perfect off-season.

Im just happy Grigson is clearly trying to upgrade the team with a couple players with a proven track record of success, Its not going to happen for all of our needs, That's unrealistic most often. Some needs will have to be met in the draft....Some needs may not even be addressed, As long as we can run the freakin ball with some consistency I don't really care, I was actually satisfied when we brought in Herremans(Not a great pass blocker but a solid run blocker). The rest is just more icing on the cake.

At this point it seems like:

The Raiders will make offer to Dan Williams

The Texans are trying to get Wilfork

Knighton is headed to the Skins and could get an offer there as they need a nose tackle

Fairley is headed to Cincy and may get signed

So I ask....

Where is the Colts interest, push or even desire to get a NT at this point?

Do you believe they are thinking one of the 3-4 possible round one DT's are going to be there at 29?

This is what boggles me and what my point was when I started this thread. This isn't complaining, this is a Major Concern/Bewilderment

Knighton is headed to the Skins and could get an offer there as they need a nose tackle

So I ask....

Do you believe they are thinking one of the 3-4 possible round one DT's are going to be there at 29?

This is what boggles me and what my point was when I started this thread. This isn't complaining, this is a Major Concern/Bewilderment

Most of those players aren't nose tackles...

Compared to last year's Colts...the one that went to the AFCCG:

Gore>TR

Langford>RJF/Redding

Cole>Werner

Herreman>whoever

AJ>Wayne/Nicks

Still looking for the Safety, ILB, and maybe one OL and DL.  There is the draft.

Signed Butler to keep a hole from forming at the slot CB position, and Reitz to be the 1st sub on the OL.

Gore>TR

Langford>RJF/Redding

Cole>Werner

Herreman>whoever

AJ>Wayne/Nicks

Still looking for the Safety, ILB, and maybe one OL and DL. There is the draft.

Signed Butler to keep a hole from forming at the slot CB position, and Reitz to be the 1st sub on the OL.

Upgrades, no matter how big or small, are upgrades. Colts had a good first day.

Most of those players aren't nose tackles...

No, I get that.. However these are the guys everyone has been assuming could adjust or step into that role who are left to be potentially signed. Point is we need somebody in the middle. We all agree/have agreed Chapman isn't/hasn't been getting it done

No, I get that.. However these are the guys everyone has been assuming could adjust or step into that role who are left to be potentially signed. Point is we need somebody in the middle. We all agree/have agreed Chapman isn't/hasn't been getting it done

Chapmans not the reason why we struggled to contain the run vs NE, For the most part we actually did well against the run but struggled bad against NE and Pitt, That was not on Chapman for the most part, He is not an elite NT.....He is never going to be Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata or even a Star Lotuleilei......Chapman just simply don't have the stamina or athleticism of those players and probably never will but he is not the main source of the problem...The main source of our problem was Gap Integrity was blown multiple times....Primarily by RJF and Redding who would abandon there gaps, rush upfield and not read the running back or ball and be completely out of position to make a play because of it

Seriously, why in the world would anyone do that? That's like plugging a multimillion dollar square peg into a round hole. When you ask a player to play a position he's not good at or never played before, that's just inviting disaster.

Just ask the Redskins... They have a history of signing "big names" and asking them to play positions today didn't suit their strengths... Those years didn't quite turn out so well....

woah now, easy there sparky.  No, we have not all agreed to that.  Quite the contrary actually.  See Gavin's post:

Chapmans not the reason why we struggled to contain the run vs NE, For the most part we actually did well against the run but struggled bad against NE and Pitt, That was not on Chapman for the most part, He is not an elite NT.....He is never going to be Dontari Poe or Haloti Ngata or even a Star Lotuleilei......Chapman just simply don't have the stamina or athleticism of those players and probably never will but he is not the main source of the problem...The main source of our problem was Gap Integrity was blown multiple times....Primarily by RJF and Redding who would abandon there gaps, rush upfield and not read the running back or ball and be completely out of position to make a play because of it

All 4 of these players are currently available.  Just because they're visiting other teams does not mean they will sign with those teams.  How about we hold off the complaining until we find out for sure where these guys will sign?  BTW, there have been multiple reports of the Colts having interest in 3 of these 4 players. 

So I ask....

Maybe they don't have a desire to get a NT.  Maybe they think Chapman is better than you think he is, which I would agree with. 

This isn't complaining, this is a Major Concern/Bewilderment

tomato, tomahtoe.  The point is, this major concern/bewilderment is unwarranted at this time.  The 4 players you mentioned early on are all still available.  Just because they have meetings setup with other teams right now does not mean they don't also have meetings scheduled with the Colts, especially since multiple reports have indicated that the Colts are still interested in 3 of the 4 players you mentioned.  How about we wait until those players are actually signed somewhere before we worry about the sky falling?

1. Gore on his worst day will still be better than trent, that's an upgrade.

2. Cole, I view him as an insurance policy if Mathis can't go. Frankly since we had one true pass rusher last year in the rookie Newsome anything they get from Cole and Mathis in that department will be upgrade.

3. Adams was a pro-bowl safety last year, he doesn't need to be an upgrade just keep doing what he's doing.

4. Langford is a cheaper replacement for RJF. Maybe not a big upgrade but saved some money.

5. Reitz is solid depth to the o-line as he can play any position but center. He's what you want as a backup lineman. The fact we signed the Eagles guard lets him be just a backup.

6. Butler, again the Colts starting corners didn't need an upgrade they are the strength of the defense and you could argue no one has a set of 1-3 corners better in the league than the Colts.

So there you go. Also, all these deals are short term. The only one over two years is Gore. There is nothing here that is going to cripple the Colts if it doesn't work which I am sure at least one or two of these moves will fail. No GM has a completely perfect off-season.

Gore>TR

Langford>RJF/Redding

Cole>Werner

Herreman>whoever

AJ>Wayne/Nicks

Still looking for the Safety, ILB, and maybe one OL and DL.  There is the draft.

Good posts guys. In the spirit of debate (not being a hater) I would like to ask a few follow-up questions.

1. Frank Gore is better than Trent Richardson and that equates to an upgrade, but was Gore our best option? Perhaps if we are only limiting ourselves to a 2-3 year contract, but is that also what's best for the team? We will have to address the RB position one way or another and so the money spent on gore is for a band-aid and not a long-term solution.

2. Cole may be better than Werner as a pure pass rusher. Cole is a short-term solution while Werner was our first-round draft pick. Will playing Cole impede Werner's development, if in fact, we have Werner in our future plans? Also, how much does Cole have left? I see Werner as a young developing and improving player while Cole is on the decline. 

3. We lost RJF and Redding. We signed Langford. We are currently at a deficit here. We need to find a replacement and upgrade to Redding. This is where we should really focus because we were not good against the run.

4. We added Herremans. I think this is a short-term upgrade. however, with Iupati and a few other FA available, was this the best possible signing?

5. We haven't sign AJ yet, and even if we do, we have lost Wayne and Nicks. AJ will be a replacement for Wayne and Carter for Nicks. I think we are even here only if we sign AJ. 

6. Laron Landry was let go and we are at a deficit here. Who starts in his place? We let Sergio Brown go as well.

Overall, we've addressed some areas of need, but I could definitely see why some fans aren't happy. I saw free agency as an opportunity to add difference makers. We've added some good players (no difference makers) but overall, I don't see much of an upgrade. (I know that FA just started and that we still have the draft but we have made some moves and this critique is on the moves we've made. Kindly, please don't reply with those obvious responses).

Wow.. Upgrade? not much

Redding only had 21 solo tackles, and RJF 18 solo since you only counted Langfords solo tackles. You playing games?

The same with Werner who had 37 solo tackles and 50 overall.

Guess you did no research on Langford. He played as a DT in the 4-3 last season in their new Defense. He comes here to play  as a 3-4 end, his ideal position.

The expectation is he won`t be the liability against the Run the aging Redding had become. lol

Cole will start in Mathis`s spot as Mathis is likely done. With Newsomw and Cam Johnson as his backups.

Werner can primarily play his rightful position going against RT`s with Walden as his backup, if we keep Walden at his $4M per.

Redding only had 21 solo tackles, and RJF 18 solo since you only counted Langfords solo tackles. You playing games?

The same with Werner who had 37 solo tackles and 50 overall.

Guess you did no research on Langford. He played as a DT in the 4-3 last season in their new Defense. He comes here to play  as a 3-4 end, his ideal position.

The expectation is he won`t be the liability against the Run the aging Redding had become. lol

Cole will start in Mathis`s spot as Mathis is likely done. With Newsomw and Cam Johnson as his backups.

Werner can primarily play his rightful position going against RT`s with Walden as his backup, if we keep Walden at his $4M per.

Those numbers we're taken directly from ESPN. Combined tackle numbers per player I listed. So if ESPN is wrong then yeah I'm playing games

We led the league by a wide margin stuffing the run on 1st down. Chapmans down. Also, if you watched the games, our ILB`ers either couldn`t get off their blocks or just were not filling the gaps like they should.

Some of that looked like a scheme issue IMO.

Redding &RJF covered by Walden was the weak link in our run D.

It is time for Hughes to get several hundred more snaps, and Kerr to make the active game day roster and contribute also.

And there are a bunch of very big, athletic DT`s available in this draft. I watched them at the combine. A Very impressive bunch.

Good posts guys. In the spirit of debate (not being a hater) I would like to ask a few follow-up questions.

1. Frank Gore is better than Trent Richardson and that equates to an upgrade, but was Gore our best option? Perhaps if we are only limiting ourselves to a 2-3 year contract, but is that also what's best for the team? We will have to address the RB position one way or another and so the money spent on gore is for a band-aid and not a long-term solution.

2. Cole may be better than Werner as a pure pass rusher. Cole is a short-term solution while Werner was our first-round draft pick. Will playing Cole impede Werner's development, if in fact, we have Werner in our future plans? Also, how much does Cole have left? I see Werner as a young developing and improving player while Cole is on the decline. 

3. We lost RJF and Redding. We signed Langford. We are currently at a deficit here. We need to find a replacement and upgrade to Redding. This is where we should really focus because we were not good against the run.

4. We added Herremans. I think this is a short-term upgrade. however, with Iupati and a few other FA available, was this the best possible signing?

5. We haven't sign AJ yet, and even if we do, we have lost Wayne and Nicks. AJ will be a replacement for Wayne and Carter for Nicks. I think we are even here only if we sign AJ. 

6. Laron Landry was let go and we are at a deficit here. Who starts in his place? We let Sergio Brown go as well.

Overall, we've addressed some areas of need, but I could definitely see why some fans aren't happy. I saw free agency as an opportunity to add difference makers. We've added some good players (no difference makers) but overall, I don't see much of an upgrade. (I know that FA just started and that we still have the draft but we have made some moves and this critique is on the moves we've made. Kindly, please don't reply with those obvious responses).

1. Who would you have signed? 

2. Cole isn't going to impede Werner, if anything Werner needs to watch and learn. Werner is never going to be what Cole was brought in for.  Cole fills several roles: an insurance policy, a place holder, and an immediate upgrade for pass rush.

3. The fact we got rid of 2 and only brought in 1 so far doesn't mean they won't bring in someone else, and many feel that Langford will be a significant upgrade.

4. This isn't my favorite move ... but I don't think Iupati was the answer ... liked Boling personally, but doesn't look like CIN was letting him get out of there, so he probably would have been more than we wanted to pay.  So we come down to one other player in Franklin, that was probably more than we wanted to pay given the position and personnel we had.

5. Who did you want here? What do you think should have happened? All things considered.

6. I am waiting to see what happens here as well ... I wanted Searcy, but there are still players available ... Who did you want here that is not still available (besides McCourty who was never going to happen)?

I think we need a couple more pieces, but I like how Grigson is setting us up for the draft and the near future,

Wow.. Upgrade? not much

Redding isn't healthy much of the time

Werner doenst have Coles experinece or stats...

What about Gore..or Andre Johnson.

Lets be real..we're ready to win the AFC

1. Who would you have signed?  I would've seriously considered Gore or not signing a RB in FA and waiting for the draft.

2. Cole isn't going to impede Werner, if anything Werner needs to watch and learn. Werner is never going to be what Cole was brought in for.  Cole fills several roles: an insurance policy, a place holder, and an immediate upgrade for pass rush. I don't think I would've made this move. We didn't have a feared pass rusher last year, and I get that, but we were a good overall pass rushing team using blitzes. I personally don't see a great return on our investment here. Our weakness was against the run and we still haven't addressed that. The money spent on Cole could have been used for Fairly, or Knighton. I know their contracts will be more, but not making this move gives us more money to use there. I also know that this move does not mean we cannot go after either or both.

3. The fact we got rid of 2 and only brought in 1 so far doesn't mean they won't bring in someone else, and many feel that Langford will be a significant upgrade. As mentioned, I can only grade the moves that have been made. As it stands, there is a deficit here that should be addressed. I think we are both in agreement here, and I think it will be addressed. 

4. This isn't my favorite move ... but I don't think Iupati was the answer ... liked Boling personally, but doesn't look like CIN was letting him get out of there, so he probably would have been more than we wanted to pay.  So we come down to one other player in Franklin, that was probably more than we wanted to pay given the position and personnel we had. Agreed that it doesn't have to be Iupati. Boling or Franklin were very good options and of course in free agency you have to pay for quality. We didn't, and therefore, it's my opinion that we haven't truly addressed one of our main problems, O-line. This has been a problem that has persisted for years. I would've paid more here and not made some of the other moves, like either Cole or Gore.

5. Who did you want here? What do you think should have happened? All things considered. I want us to sign Andre. I was simply noting that we are currently at a deficit. We are worse here now than in 2014 and Andre Johnson would be a good signing. If he doesn't sign, I feel there is a drop off between him and the other available receivers. I think either way, we may draft another receiver.

6. I am waiting to see what happens here as well ... I wanted Searcy, but there are still players available ... Who did you want here that is not still available (besides McCourty who was never going to happen)?  I too wanted Searcy and wasn't for McCourty. I actually am curious about Dewey McDonald. I would look at possibly Parker or wait to see if another safety becomes available later.

I think we need a couple more pieces, but I like how Grigson is setting us up for the draft and the near future.  I am excited for the draft, especially with having all of our picks. As for FA, Grigson is being prudent with the cap. I see the moves that have been made as filling holes and needs, but not adding difference makers. 

1. Who would you have signed?  I would've seriously considered Gore or not signing a RB in FA and waiting for the draft.

2. Cole isn't going to impede Werner, if anything Werner needs to watch and learn. Werner is never going to be what Cole was brought in for.  Cole fills several roles: an insurance policy, a place holder, and an immediate upgrade for pass rush. I don't think I would've made this move. We didn't have a feared pass rusher last year, and I get that, but we were a good overall pass rushing team using blitzes. I personally don't see a great return on our investment here. Our weakness was against the run and we still haven't addressed that. The money spent on Cole could have been used for Fairly, or Knighton. I know their contracts will be more, but not making this move gives us more money to use there. I also know that this move does not mean we cannot go after either or both.

3. The fact we got rid of 2 and only brought in 1 so far doesn't mean they won't bring in someone else, and many feel that Langford will be a significant upgrade. As mentioned, I can only grade the moves that have been made. As it stands, there is a deficit here that should be addressed. I think we are both in agreement here, and I think it will be addressed. 

4. This isn't my favorite move ... but I don't think Iupati was the answer ... liked Boling personally, but doesn't look like CIN was letting him get out of there, so he probably would have been more than we wanted to pay.  So we come down to one other player in Franklin, that was probably more than we wanted to pay given the position and personnel we had. Agreed that it doesn't have to be Iupati. Boling or Franklin were very good options and of course in free agency you have to pay for quality. We didn't, and therefore, it's my opinion that we haven't truly addressed one of our main problems, O-line. This has been a problem that has persisted for years. I would've paid more here and not made some of the other moves, like either Cole or Gore.

5. Who did you want here? What do you think should have happened? All things considered. I want us to sign Andre. I was simply noting that we are currently at a deficit. We are worse here now than in 2014 and Andre Johnson would be a good signing. If he doesn't sign, I feel there is a drop off between him and the other available receivers. I think either way, we may draft another receiver.

6. I am waiting to see what happens here as well ... I wanted Searcy, but there are still players available ... Who did you want here that is not still available (besides McCourty who was never going to happen)?  I too wanted Searcy and wasn't for McCourty. I actually am curious about Dewey McDonald. I would look at possibly Parker or wait to see if another safety becomes available later.

I think we need a couple more pieces, but I like how Grigson is setting us up for the draft and the near future.  I am excited for the draft, especially with having all of our picks. As for FA, Grigson is being prudent with the cap. I see the moves that have been made as filling holes and needs, but not adding difference makers. 

1. I think odds are we signed Gore with the intention of taking a RB somewhere in this draft.

2. Pass rush was a huge problem for us last year.  Even with the blitzes we weren't getting enough pressure, by the end of the season the blitzes were even less effective and it hurt us having to bring extra guys to blitz especially when the blitz did not work. Also if Mathis is slow to come back, or is not the same player when he is back I think everyone will be pretty happy we have Cole. And like you said Cole doesn't mean we still won't go for one of those other DLs.

4. I have complained about Grigson's OL strategy for the last couple years, I just don't think he is ever going to be willing to pay a premium for FA interior linemen.  At least between the young guys and the new guys maybe we can get something together.  I am more worried about Cherilus/ROT to be honest and there was really not much we could do about it FA, the guys who would have been worth going after were re-signed by their current teams.  

5.. There is definitely a significant drop off, but I would not have wanted to pay Cobb, Maclin, or  Smith what they got ....we got AJ in there trying to work out a deal ... I don't want to overpay for him ... I think we are doing everything we can in this area.  If we don't get AJ we may have to just go with a Cecil Shorts type guy and make WR a higher draft priority.

6. Not a big Parker fan, wouldn't mind seeing whats going on with Moore though.

Rahim Moore Is Our Answer At Saftey, but to say Gore was brung in just to mentor is crazy he has had four consecutive 1000 Yrd seasons including last yr. Trent Cole is still a beast an Langford didn't play good in St. Louis Because he is a 3-4 Guy. Numbers do lie when u don't fit a teams system. I Belive a future running back will be picked up on the draft along with a good young DT/DE