Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Insiders Reports Grigson is "Going To Spend BIG In FA"

JPFolks

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't classify those guys as "top notch," though. But you're right, good players that have their own shortcomings or projected shortcomings. Dumervil is another example. 

And the moves that teams like SF and NO might make in order to keep their top notch guys -- Jimmy Graham, for instance -- will be to get rid of guys with those warts or shortcomings, or let them walk in FA. The Niners might let Iupati walk, but he plays a non-premium position, and he's only an average pass blocker. He'll probably also be overpriced. Usually, when a team really wants to keep a guy, like KC with Justin Houston, they'll do what they have to. Some of those choices are tough and painful, but when you can keep your elite playmakers, it's worth it. 

Most of them are for sure over priced . But I guess with the new CBA , the good players are entitled to a good pay day. And Lupati is not for everybody

Most of them are for sure over priced . But I guess with the new CBA , the good players are entitled to a good pay day. And Lupati is not for everybody

Definitely. But "good pay day" doesn't automatically equate to being a top notch player, despite what many assume. 

If you look at those list, the players that are top notch stayed with their teams. Maybe we differ on the definition, but the only two players that I would put in that category that switched teams last year were Revis and D. Jackson and there were unusual circumstances for both.

Well, Belichick made some of the savviest transactions of his career, picking up Akeem Ayers, Jonathan Casillas, LeGarette Blount, and Alan Branch for pennies on the dollar during the regular season.  

Patience is a big part of building a team even DURING the season. So, I'd rather get just 1 or 2 quality FA pickups in the offseason, re-sign key pieces, and look for bargains for depth as the year goes along.

If you look at those list, the players that are top notch stayed with their teams. Maybe we differ on the definition, but the only two players that I would put in that category that switched teams last year were Revis and D. Jackson and there were unusual circumstances for both.

All-world Free agents are rare, like if Suh were to hit the market. I wouldn't rank D. Jackson up with Revis. But like Superman said, a lot of big name FA's that are out there aren't just pure FA, some have off the field issues, injury history, production dropoff may be expected, etc. like Peyton or Revis. I would still say great contributors like Tuck, Welker, or Wallace at the time of their free agency would meet the definition of an above average free agent as I see it.

Well, Belichick made some of the savviest transactions of his career, picking up Akeem Ayers, Jonathan Casillas, LeGarette Blount, and Alan Branch for pennies on the dollar during the regular season.  

Patience is a big part of building a team even DURING the season. So, I'd rather get just 1 or 2 quality FA pickups in the offseason, re-sign key pieces, and look for bargains for depth as the year goes along.

The Patriots were in a different place than the Colts. The comparison is hard to accept. They have a more fully developed roster with more high level playmakers and more veteran performers. Every team has to plug a hole here and there during the season. That's different than the more fundamental team building that is done in the offseason.

The Patriots were in a different place than the Colts. The comparison is hard to accept. They have a more fully developed roster with more high level playmakers and more veteran performers. Every team has to plug a hole here and there during the season. That's different than the more fundamental team building that is done in the offseason.

They signed Revis, Browner and Lafell and re-signed Edelman in the offseason. Those were their key signings. I did not elaborate on comparing their offseason to ours.

So, (say) if we replace RJF and Landry with quality starters, and sign another quality front seven guy (LB or DL), and re-sign TY, I can see the Patriots' comparison apt enough to make our signings work. The key is hitting on all those signings.

Yeah, we don't have a Wilfork or a Gronk like they did, I agree. However, we have to find a way to maximize our strengths, which would be VD and Toler, TY and our TEs outside Luck. Luck is not at Brady's level yet but if you get our OL to gel and get to a better level, a lot of things will work.

They signed Revis, Browner and Lafell and re-signed Edelman in the offseason. Those were their key signings. I did not elaborate on comparing their offseason to ours.

So, (say) if we replace RJF and Landry with quality starters, and sign another quality front seven guy (LB or DL), and re-sign TY, I can see the Patriots' comparison apt enough to make our signings work. The key is hitting on all those signings.

Yeah, we don't have a Wilfork or a Gronk like they did, I agree. However, we have to find a way to maximize our strengths, which would be VD and Toler, TY and our TEs outside Luck. Luck is not at Brady's level yet but if you get our OL to gel and get to a better level, a lot of things will work.

Just saying, their more reserved approach in the offseason is predicated on the fact that they have a more fully formed roster. (And in 2014, it wasn't actually more reserved, just based on the Revis signing.) 

I don't think we need to throw a bunch of money around or try to make splash signings for players that will suddenly transform our team. I don't think that's what free agency should be for. But I do think we can use free agency to upgrade certain areas, and those upgrades can collectively make the team better. 

You're right, those midseason acquisitions are good to be on the lookout for, as well. I'm just saying that's not what the team is built on.

As far as maximizing our strengths, specifically in the secondary, it would be awesome to have a dependable and consistent pass rush. Imagine how much better Vontae and Toler would be...

Yup. And why not having a good draft in 2013 and misusing our 2014 first rounder hurt so bad. 

Agree. On another note , I see Spotract has us at 42 mill of cap space. That's with the draft pool included , which I thought was not.

Yup. That's a new feature for them.

If TR (could be very dicey)  and Thomas are released , we would be close to 50 mill. D jackson deal has only 1 more year .  Pretty much the only thorn in the coulee is the Cherlius contract. 

If TR (could be very dicey)  and Thomas are released , we would be close to 50 mill. D jackson deal has only 1 more year .  Pretty much the only thorn in the coulee is the Cherlius contract. 

I don't think any cap relief from Richardson will come this season. I'd expect a drawn out grievance and legal challenge there, with a future cap credit being the best case scenario.

Thomas is probably gone as soon as the league year starts.

Orlando Franklin OG - RG who can play RT too. Still young and talented.

Terrence Knighton NT - Good run stuffer who is a better pass rusher than any NT we have currently too.

Frank Gore RB - Solid running back, getting up there in age but still productive.

Michael Crabtree - Still young and very talented, had a few injuries but had brilliant hands and after the catch ability, TY, Moncrief, Crabtree and Carter would be a good 4.

Raheem Moore - has talent and shouldn't cost too much.

Orlando Franklin OG - RG who can play RT too. Still young and talented.

Terrence Knighton NT - Good run stuffer who is a better pass rusher than any NT we have currently too.

Frank Gore RB - Solid running back, getting up there in age but still productive.

Michael Crabtree - Still young and very talented, had a few injuries but had brilliant hands and after the catch ability, TY, Moncrief, Crabtree and Carter would be a good 4.

Raheem Moore - has talent and shouldn't cost too much.

That is a good list. I still think the WRs out of the draft are hungrier, there is always one or two that drop that can be developed, so I will pass on Crabtree.

1. Orlando Franklin, yes. Terrance Knighton, NT, Broncos or Dan Williams, NT from Cardinals, yes

2. Moore still was not coached as well as he could be and might be a great pick up just like Mike Adams. Besides, they both worked together and Pagano's secondary coaching and usage has a better history that I trust.

3. I would not spend free agency money on a RB like Frank Gore, to be honest. RBs are dime a dozen and just like WRs, the lower mileage ones are hungrier from the draft.

4. I would like to take a stab at David Harris, ILB, from the Jets or Brandon Spikes, ILB, from the Bills. Word is Rex Ryan wants his comfort zone, David Harris, and is trying to get him to the Bills (just like he got Bart Scott from the Ravens when he went to the Jets), so Spikes is definitely gone. Both are very good run defenders, IMO. Instead of FA money on a skill position, I would not mind getting one of the 2 above.

Going big in FA being a bad thing is somewhat of a myth.  Seattle, Denever, and the Pats have spent a lot recently in FA seems to have worked out ok...

Aslo you are going to over pay in FA thats just the nature of the beast.  I don't worry about over paying much at all though it's not my money and it's not like Grigson has ever had us in bad cap position.  FA also have to want to come here.

Veldheer

Byrd

Albert

Decker

DRC

Tate

All very good players

I don't think any cap relief from Richardson will come this season. I'd expect a drawn out grievance and legal challenge there, with a future cap credit being the best case scenario.

Thomas is probably gone as soon as the league year starts.

Agree and we can't even be sure the Colts will want to risk what could be considered bad PR to save the TR 3.2 mill.

Agree and we can't even be sure the Colts will want to risk what could be considered bad PR to save the TR 3.2 mill.

I don't really buy the bad PR angle. JMO

At the same time, I was pretty much convinced that Richardson would be cut when he didn't make the flight, without regard for the possibility of recouping the $3.2m. So maybe they'll just chalk it up to a loss and move on. I'd think they'd at least make a go at it, though.

I don't really buy the bad PR angle. JMO

At the same time, I was pretty much convinced that Richardson would be cut when he didn't make the flight, without regard for the possibility of recouping the $3.2m. So maybe they'll just chalk it up to a loss and move on. I'd think they'd at least make a go at it, though.

I hear you. 3 mill is 3 mill

I like Spikes and Knighton to shore up the run D.

I really think Gore would be a nice compliment to Herron and a mid round draft pick.

Antonio Cromartie would be a nice one or two year pick up over Gordy but I'm not sure he'd want to be a depth guy.

Boling or Franklin as OG

Maybe get Cobb if you a want home run sign at wr or get Jacoby Jones for returns and depth

Hali might come at a reasonable price.

I don't think we can afford every one with all big contracts coming up but some of these players would fit nicely

I wouldn't classify those guys as "top notch," though. But you're right, good players that have their own shortcomings or projected shortcomings. Dumervil is another example. 

And the moves that teams like SF and NO might make in order to keep their top notch guys -- Jimmy Graham, for instance -- will be to get rid of guys with those warts or shortcomings, or let them walk in FA. The Niners might let Iupati walk, but he plays a non-premium position, and he's only an average pass blocker. He'll probably also be overpriced. Usually, when a team really wants to keep a guy, like KC with Justin Houston, they'll do what they have to. Some of those choices are tough and painful, but when you can keep your elite playmakers, it's worth it. 

That is exactly why imo the majority of the players we may pick up in FA aren't even a FA yet. Its the guys those teams have to let go begrudgingly that will likely be targeted. I'm sure we make a run at a couple big name free agents but I imagine getting TY and Andrew to a contract extension is probably in the works as well. I think we let Fleener and Allen play out their contracts and keep the one that seems to fit best with us for the future...be shocked to see us keep both.

Money will be spent...looking like definately a DE in our 3-4 will be on the list and probably a safety (who I don't think is even on the market yet), OL help probably 1 bigger name and a veteren running back Gore perhaps to work with our young backs. I would think we will stay out of the wr market and supply that through the draft....as this is another very deep year at wr.

I don't think we will spend as much as people think....I imagine Luck and TY get very big front loaded contracts with big signing bonuses and that means Irsay is going to need lots of cash available for that. Luck may even get a fully guaranteed contract who knows.

That is a good list. I still think the WRs out of the draft are hungrier, there is always one or two that drop that can be developed, so I will pass on Crabtree.

1. Orlando Franklin, yes. Terrance Knighton, NT, Broncos or Dan Williams, NT from Cardinals, yes

2. Moore still was not coached as well as he could be and might be a great pick up just like Mike Adams. Besides, they both worked together and Pagano's secondary coaching and usage has a better history that I trust.

3. I would not spend free agency money on a RB like Frank Gore, to be honest. RBs are dime a dozen and just like WRs, the lower mileage ones are hungrier from the draft.

4. I would like to take a stab at David Harris, ILB, from the Jets or Brandon Spikes, ILB, from the Bills. Word is Rex Ryan wants his comfort zone, David Harris, and is trying to get him to the Bills (just like he got Bart Scott from the Ravens when he went to the Jets), so Spikes is definitely gone. Both are very good run defenders, IMO. Instead of FA money on a skill position, I would not mind getting one of the 2 above.

Yes, young, fast, strong RBs are a dime a dozen, but when it's 3rd down in a playoff game and you need your RB to pick up a blitz, Gore (and Bradshaw) are gonna nail him and the young RB will whiff and get Luck sacked.  Those are the kind of plays that determine outcomes.