Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Insiders Reports Grigson is "Going To Spend BIG In FA"

JPFolks

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think Grigs likes to get what he sees as the best 22 before the draft so he can truly go BPA

Question is where's he see the holes I'd guess RT maybe C/G. WR, and RB on offense.

I really hope he doesn't make the mistake of trusting Holmes again. Who knows where he sees the CFL guy.

D I think we grab a D Lineman maybe Pot Roast OLB and a S. Depending on his feeling about Freeman maybe an ILB as well

He will sign players in those positions if he thinks they are better than what we have. I like the guy think he puts us over the top this year

Personally I think that the guys who are the supposed "top Tier" FA, get overpaid every year. It's pretty rare that they live up to their contract. Look at Jerry Hughes as an example this year. He's a top FA in a premium position as a DE. He's had back to back 10 sack seasons. Pretty good production but nowhere near being a franchise type pass rusher. Yet, he's going to get a huge contract and most likely he's going to be a 10 sack or less guy the rest of his career.

So, I think the tendency is for teams to reach for a player of need and overspend. But, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. What has to be asked by every GM is, will this guy who might get me 10 sacks be enough to get us over the hump and be a difference maker for us at say 8m yr or will the guy that gets 7.5 sack and cost 3.5m yr do us just as good?

Personally, I don't think Grigson is clearing this cap room for bringing in a crop of Big namers. Maybe 1 or 2. I think he's going to extend some contracts of players we have now that are going to cost an unbelievable amount to keep here.

I'd love to see them extend our TE's and TY... Luck is obvious.  I am unsure of which other players should be extended? 

D I think we grab a D Lineman maybe Pot Roast OLB and a S. Depending on his feeling about Freeman maybe an ILB as well

They were saying that Safety is the weakest position in the draft and one of the thinnest and greatest overall league wide areas of need this year. That means any top Safety will be drafted earlier and FA paid way over their value if the need and supply is that out of whack.  

They were saying that Safety is the weakest position in the draft and one of the thinnest and greatest overall league wide areas of need this year. That means any top Safety will be drafted earlier and FA paid way over their value if the need and supply is that out of whack.

the best we maybe able to do is resign Adams and Sergio and hope Grigs hit on Dewey.

They will both cost because there's niot much out there Good news I think they'd both prefer to stay,

Minus Landry I thought the back end played well last year. Front 7 was the bigger problem I have confidence Grig's will get it done

All these savings may go right back to our own for the most part.

the best we maybe able to do is resign Adams and Sergio and hope Grigs hit on Dewey.

They will both cost because there's niot much out there Good news I think they'd both prefer to stay,

Minus Landry I thought the back end played well last year. Front 7 was the bigger problem I have confidence Grig's will get it done

I hope you realize that whole "since Bethea" thing has lasted all of...   one whole year.   One.

That's it.

I'd argue too that Bethea was anything but solid towards the end, in coverage anyway, I'll put that down to who was lined up with him though looking at the season he had in SF with decent S partners. 

As the league moves more and more to employing 3 safeties in certain formations we're still struggling to find 2 decent ones :P 

Perhaps this is old news to twitter followers etc. but I just heard on NFL Insiders that Grigson is going big in FA.  Their responses were that is usually a losing strategy and instead you should supplement your team and fill holes with mid level players instead.  

So Two Questions: 

1. Who are 2-3 "Big" FA's you could see us going after? 

2. Do you agree with the NFL Insiders that it is a mistake to sign big name FA's who by default will be significantly overpaid?  

My answers are: 1. NONE and 2. Yes. 

Exception: If a significant opportunity on a Safety presents itself or someone like a Houston (or more appropriate Rush Backer if one is available) from KC (which I doubt) perhaps you bring in one or two guys max. We're not getting Suh and shouldn't chase a FA WR or RB in my opinion as I doubt they'd pay off.  

Your thoughts? 

My argument against your answers is as follows:

The Pats just won the Superbowl after spending HUGE in FA last year.

Was it even a year Adams played pretty well last year

Adams was a pro-bowler for gods sake, I dont know what he was making such a fuss about... I actually think our safeties this past year (Adams and Brown) were pretty solid... Obviously Landry isn't included in that sentiment.

Adams was a pro-bowler for gods sake, I dont know what he was making such a fuss about... I actually think our safeties this past year (Adams and Brown) were pretty solid... Obviously Landry isn't included in that sentiment.

I agree both FA hope we keep them Dewey matures might be in decent shape

I'd love to see them extend our TE's and TY... Luck is obvious.  I am unsure of which other players should be extended? 

I think if Grigs waits until next off season with so many of these guys becoming free agents it could be a mistake. I think he needs to get some of them locked up this year.

Luck, Fleener, Allen, TY and Costanzo, if I'm not mistaken, will all be UFA next off season so you're talking like 75 million just in signing bonuses(Ok maybe that's a bit of exaggeration)but I wouldn't doubt whether its in the ball park.

He's going to spend big on: Luck, Fleener, Allen, Costanzo and TY Hilton

Sign Luck....and let the pieces come together saving $$$ for the others.  I like a safe approach.  I would go DL in FA and at 29 (even though I am a huge Tevin Coleman fan)  This is an important...cannot miss draft.  

Why is everyone such a Tevin Coleman fan..just because he went to IU? How does that help the Colts though? From what I've seen he constantly had gaping holes to run through so I don't understand the whole he didn't have an O-Line like Melvin Gordon did. Coleman also can't run with the ball in his right hand. That's a problem. I'd pass on Coleman. Personally I'd pass on everyone and wait on Ezekiel Elliot next year..that dudes gonna be $$. He reminds me of AP

Sign Luck....and let the pieces come together saving $$$ for the others.  I like a safe approach.  I would go DL in FA and at 29 (even though I am a huge Tevin Coleman fan)  This is an important...cannot miss draft.  

Knowing our O line, it wouldn't surprise me that Titans and Jags both go with best DL, and at their draft positions they'll be monsters.  Jags front 4 is going to look meaner this year, especially if Titans pass on Leonard Williams for some reason. (we've seen funnier things)

Knowing our O line, it wouldn't surprise me that Titans and Jags both go with best DL, and at their draft positions they'll be monsters.  Jags front 4 is going to look meaner this year, especially if Titans pass on Leonard Williams for some reason. (we've seen funnier things)

And money to burn.....just like us.

Why is everyone such a Tevin Coleman fan..just because he went to IU? How does that help the Colts though? From what I've seen he constantly had gaping holes to run through so I don't understand the whole he didn't have an O-Line like Melvin Gordon did. Coleman also can't run with the ball in his right hand. That's a problem. I'd pass on Coleman. Personally I'd pass on everyone and wait on Ezekiel Elliot next year..that dudes gonna be $$. He reminds me of AP

Interesting.  I have never seen him not handle the ball with his right hand.  IU's line was decent.  Nothing like Wisconsin...not even close.

Except that Adams played well replacing Bethea.    That's a relative push.   Adams was quite good.

The problem was that the other safety position wasn't filled well.

Landry and Brown didn't give us much....

Adams was a stop gap not a long term answer. I agree he played well, but is he returning? also like you said that SS position is a biq question mark.

Adams was a stop gap not a long term answer. I agree he played well, but is he returning? also like you said that SS position is a biq question mark.

I'm expecting Adams is returning.

Yesterday,  the top story on Colts.com had a headline that basically said this....

"Adams top-priority to be re-signed"....

When the team goes that public with its intentions,  I think it's safe to think Adams is coming back.    :thmup:

But yes,  agreed,   Adams is a stop gap.    He'll get a one or two year deal.

Interesting. I have never seen him not handle the ball with his right hand. IU's line was decent. Nothing like Wisconsin...not even close.

Are you serious? He literally only carries the ball with his Left hand. And I'd beg to differ..IUs line left him with constant gaping holes in that spread offense.

Are you serious? He literally only carries the ball with his Left hand. And I'd beg to differ..IUs line left him with constant gaping holes in that spread offense.

Not arguing.  I never noticed one hand or the other, and I watched a lot of Indiana football.  Sure there were gaping holes at times and little ones he went long through.  I like him better than Gordon and Gurley.  Gordon ran too many miles at Wisconsin, and Gurley the injuries.

Jim Abbot through a no hitter with only one hand too :) 9-6-13

abbott11.gif?w=540&h=360

The smart thing to do, and this is just me being silly..... how about we re-sign Brown & Adams since they won't cost much and build our front 7?

You know, having a great front 7 realllllly makes your secondary look oh so much better. Just ask the Rams, 49ers, & Bills :)

Not arguing. I never noticed one hand or the other, and I watched a lot of Indiana football. Sure there were gaping holes at times and little ones he went long through. I like him better than Gordon and Gurley. Gordon ran too many miles at Wisconsin, and Gurley the injuries.

Jim Abbot through a no hitter with only one hand too :) 9-6-13

abbott11.gif?w=540&h=360

Lol NFL is different tho, players will attack that weakness. He never stiff arms either because of that, he just runs into them shoulder first. If he fixes that problem then he just might be really good. Me personally, I'd rather wait till next year to get our star RB...Ezekiel Elliot. Dude is gonna be way better than any RB in the draft this year.

Isn't that exactly what I said resign Adams and Sergio the Front 7 was the biggest problem...

The smart thing to do, and this is just me being silly..... how about we re-sign Brown & Adams since they won't cost much and build our front 7?

You know, having a great front 7 realllllly makes your secondary look oh so much better. Just ask the Rams, 49ers, & Bills :)

I'd sign a FA D lineman and grab 2 in the draft I love Marcus Hardson from ASU I really hope we snatch him another guy that doesn't get the first round grade that I think would be a steal is Trey Flowers from Arkansas.

We obviously need to upgrade the rush OLB probably best addressed through FA unless someone drops to us at 29. No telling what if anything we get from Mathis. Then grab a project in the draft maybe a guy like Orchard falls

In the middle I know he only gets us to 3rd down don't care about his size Perryman is the nasty tackling machine we need would love to see him in a horseshoe.

I think the back end is in pretty good shape for one more year provided we at least get our guys back if not an upgrade. A kid I like that we can get late possibly UDFA is McCain from Memphis 11 int's the last 2 years and would help in the return game.

We need to fix the trenches on both sides of the ball. We have the cap space and draft picks to do it Grig's just needs to nail it. I think he does expecting big things this year.

I just hope we don't bring in anymore fix them players like Rodgers and Purifoy let those fools be someone else's problems or waste a high pick on a RB.

with richardson trade we only lost a very low first rounder, yea, if we picked right we could have hit on a really good one but it's hit and miss.

i think we will not get a "dickerson deal" done or anywhere close to that but like you said, some mid-level FA talent for lesser $$.  Keep in mind, it's going to cost quite a bit to get 2 or 3 mid-level guys as testiment to the ones we signed over the last two years.  Some were dagone expensive!!!!!!  And then we have to "close" on our draft picks and guys who have to be re-signed that we know we are keeping.  Going to be a challenge for Grigs based on his recent spotty track-record.  I wonder how much dead-money we are looking at right now?

Isn't that what I said resign Adams and Sergio The Feont 7 is where the problem is??

I'd grab a FA DLineman then a couple in the draft live Marcus Hardison ASU really hope we grab him. If one of the big guns aren't there at 29 like Trey Flowers Arkansas too

Obviously need a OLB that can get to the QB. Mathis is a huge question mark need to go FA here

Uograde at ILB too really like Perryman tackling machine that packs a punch just the kind of toughness and nasty we need

I wouldn't totally leave the backend out if the right guy is there and would look at McCain from Memphis late he could be an UDFA 11ints last 2 yrs would help the return game if he could make the roster

I am interested in the development of Dewey think Quarles could contribute and still think Pagano might make Price a player he's kept around for 2 yrs let's see that genius

Trenches is where you win on both sides hoping the OLine is taken care of too.

Sounds like a lot but a good draft the right FA moves and we got it. Think this is the year Grigs puts it all together

I just hope he's learned his lesson on character guys let someone else mess with the Rodgers and Purifoy's and please no RB early

I can see him making a play for at least 1 difference maker on both lines.

Iupati and Knighton fit that bill.

Possibly Tamba Hali, Wisniewski as well.

I think I read that Roy Helu from the Skins is a FA this year.  He's not a superstar, but I really like his effort and reliability as a RB.  Great out of the backfield, too.  He'd make a good back-up and occasional 3rd-down guy.