Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When I compare our talent w/ NE, I give them the edge in these categories

Cribbsfaircatch

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaching

Line play, LBers and secondary. Anyone disagree?

I thought we had better wrs and even better running backs. Special teams. I'll give Brady the edge @ qb, but not substantial

Line play (assuming you also meant D-line) LB'ers and secondary = their entire defense was better than ours.

On offense, their O-line talent may not be better, but they play much better as a unit. The Colt's receivers are more talented, however, the scheme to get players open was horrible, whereas NE's scheme was very effective.

Overall, The Colts could have played much better, but were severely out-coached.

Pats         Colts

QB     x

x    RB

WR     x

TE      x

x      OL

x       DL

x      LB

CB      x 

x      S

P/K/R  x

x      COACHING

its kind of depressing but id have to give them the nod at TE and corner back too.  they do have revis and gronk.  their second and third corner are also good.  they also have a great kicker

i dont know if we are ahead of them at any position group other than WR(which does us no good considering their corners are better still). its hard to compare luck to brady i give that one a toss up

Coaching

I thought we had better wrs and even better running backs. Special teams. I'll give Brady the edge @ qb, but not substantial

The Pats are men, the Colts are boys. Mental fortitude is the biggest advantage they have on the Colts... at every position. They're in the Colts heads, and until we get some players who are bullies themselves, that won't back down, the Pats will continue to win these match ups. It's more psychological than anything    

Coaching

Scroll down, or up...    Look at Gavin's post.    There's your answer.

New England has much better talent -- everywhere.

But the thing is -- they're supposed to.    They've been building and rebuilding that roster for 15 straight years.

The Colts are on year 3.    I wouldn't expect the Colts to have a roster as good as the Pats at this point in the game.

Patriots            Colts

QB                    WR

RB                     K

TE                      P

OL

DL

LB

S

CB

Coaching

Thank you.

I'm not sure how this is not painfully obvious to everyone in this thread,  but so far,  it's not.

Oh well.....    

Patriots            Colts

QB                    WR

RB                     K

TE                      P

OL

DL

LB

S

CB

Coaching

Pretty much agree, but think corner is actually kind of a wash

The Pats are men, the Colts are boys. Mental fortitude is the biggest advantage they have on the Colts... at every position. They're in the Colts heads, and until we get some players who are bullies themselves, that won't back down, the Pats will continue to win these match ups. It's more psychological than anything    

This entire post is complete nonsense and has no basis in reality and it's almost sad that you probably believe what you typed.

I don't understand this exercise. 

A chart like this comparing the Colts to the Broncos would be similarly in favor of the Broncos, yet we beat them. Football is about matchups, not which team has the better roster on paper. As a matter of fact, comparing units to each other misses the point. Should be comparing our passing offense to their passing defense, our run defense to their rushing attack, our pass rush to their pass protection, etc. 

No question that our roster has to take a step (or two) forward in order to be comparable with the top dogs in the NFL. Some of that improvement will hopefully come from players we already have.

Pats         Colts

QB     x

x    RB

WR     x

TE      x

x      OL

x       DL

x      LB

CB      x 

x      S

P/K/R  x

x      COACHING

I'd go with:

Pats         Colts

QB     x

x    RB

WR     x

x    TE     

x      OL

x       DL

x      LB

x     CB    

x      S

x      P/K/R

x      COACHING

CHANGES:

CB: The Patriots have Darrelle Revis, who I feel is slightly better than Vontae Davis, even though I know Davis was graded insanely high in a few games. Revis is very consistent and is a proven veteran.

TE: Rob Gronkowski, period. Not only is he considered the best TE in the game, he's regarded by some as the best receiver. He's a mismatch nightmare, and I feel he is revolutionizing the NFL's TE position. Coby Fleener is good, but he's a shrimp compared to Gronk, and Dwayne Allen seems to have butterfingers. Furthermore, the Pats are good at lining up players at the TE position, so before you know it, we could be talking about Nate Solder as a playmaker.

P/K/R: We have a return man who rarely fair catches, and gets punished for it every time, while the Pats return man is consistent and careful with the ball. Our kicker is superb, but can we trust him from 53+yds out? Vinny isn't getting any younger. Pat McAfee I'll definitely say is the best in the league, but one out of three in this column isn't enough to convince me we earn the mark over the Pats.

Coaching in the NFL means more than ANY OTHER sport in North American sports... 

and well...  Chuck is failing miserably .. Against Bill B...   

And he has had 3X to take the test over...   LOLLL>>>  and gets worse...    

Sigh...

Coaching

Pretty much agree, but think corner is actually kind of a wash

Once you factor in depth and injuries that the Corner position had for the Patriots its really not, Im not a fan of Browner at all but the Patriots still have better depth beyond Browner, Davis closed the gap on Revis I think but before I put him in Revis's league I'd like to see Davis sustain another year or so of elite play, I'd like him to work on making the QB believe his wr is open only to make a play on the ball at the last second

This entire post is complete nonsense and has no basis in reality and it's almost sad that you probably believe what you typed.

That's your opinion. I have mine. No need to be rude about it

I'll just say that you're in total denial if you don't believe the Pats are in the Colts heads at this point. The last matchup was the embodiment of a team mentally defeated. The Pats should not be that many points better than us consistently

That's your opinion. I have mine. No need to be rude about it

I'll just say that you're in total denial if you don't believe the Pats are in the Colts heads at this point. The last matchup was the embodiment of a team mentally defeated. The Pats should not be that many points better than us consistently

I wasn't being rude.  I do find it almost sad that you believe what you typed.  And there wasn't anything that you typed that has any basis in realty.

I wasn't being rude. I do find it almost sad that you believe what you typed. And there wasn't anything that you typed that has any basis in realty.

I said it's an opinion. Care to elaborate why you think it's sad I have that opinion? Not like I'm stating an unpopular opinion (maybe it is on this website)

Do I think the Colts have enough talent to at least match up against New England? Yes. Do I think the Colts believe they are capable of doing so? From what I've seen these past 2 games, I can't say that I do. From my own observation, even the team's body language throughout their games against the Pats is not the same as when they face other opponents.

You can disagree and state your reasons why, or you can disagree and throw vague criticism at my posts, without explaining at all. If you continue to choose the latter, I'll just carry on and we can just agree to disagree all together

I'm looking at it by way of how it would impact the game if everything else stayed the same, but the area in question switched teams. Either push, slight edge, or advantage.

QB: Push. Each QB is a better fit in their own offense than the other. I think Luck is a little better overall, but Brady plays above and beyond his skill set in his offense. 

RB: Advantage Patriots. Blount and Vereen are a good 1-2 punch, not to mention Ridley and Gray.

WR/TE: Push. I think the WR groups are much closer than people realize. The Colts unit dropped more passes than any other team in the league by far. Hilton is guy that pushes the Colts over the edge as far as receivers go. Gronk is the best TE in the league, but the Colts close the gap with superior depth at TE. 

OL: Push. Both teams have a legit LT, although Castonzo the better 2014. Volmer had a better 2014 than Cherilus did. The interior of each line is nothing to get excited about, Mewhort is probably the best interior lineman on either team but Reitz and Stork can play. 2 units that should be looking to improve in 2015. 

DL: Slight edge Patriots. The only reason the advantage is slight is because of Arthur Jones. Wilfork is in decline but is still better than Chapman or Hughes.

LB: Advantage Patriots. Much better at rushing the passer and stopping the run. A more athletic, better group in New England. 

DB: Slight edge Patriots. Vontae Davis is just about a push with Revis, at least close enough to one. Toler isn't that far behind Brandon Browner. Mike Adams had a good year. But McCourty brings something to the table that the Colts lack, a true ball hawking safety.

ST: Push. Both have good kickers. The Colts have a top end punter, but the Patriots have better returns. 

I don't understand this exercise.

A chart like this comparing the Colts to the Broncos would be similarly in favor of the Broncos, yet we beat them. Football is about matchups, not which team has the better roster on paper. As a matter of fact, comparing units to each other misses the point. Should be comparing our passing offense to their passing defense, our run defense to their rushing attack, our pass rush to their pass protection, etc.

No question that our roster has to take a step (or two) forward in order to be comparable with the top dogs in the NFL. Some of that improvement will hopefully come from players we already have.

It's a good way to see which roster is more talented. And eye opening as to how wide of a gap there is between us and the best.

I agree...i cant see how anyone else would disagree after getting smacked around by them four times

It's a good way to see which roster is more talented. And eye opening as to how wide of a gap there is between us and the best.

45-7

42-20

43-22

59-24

I don't have a lot of questions about which roster is more talented, or how wide the gap is.

I get it, I just don't think that's really important. I don't think our objective should be to beat New England, I don't think we should be worried about comparing our roster to theirs, etc. To me, the staff should be doing whatever they can to make the roster better, regardless of how the season ended, regardless of how we match up with New England on paper. To me, it's just Colts fans torturing themselves because we lost to the Pats again.

tumblr_m7ncfxHZn91qb444eo1_500.gif