Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not more "short" plays?

rock8591

It seems to me that the past few games (especially the Giants game), we played in the shotgun formation 95% of the time, and the whole audience anticipates a pass.

I've always thought an easy way to slow down a pass rush would be more 5-10 yard slants, TE plays, and even delayed halfback draws. And I don't mean running the ball from the power formation where everyone is anticipating a run. Most of our passing plays seems to be towards the sideline, with very few towards the middle of the field.

Or, just get extra blockers. It worked against the Skins who have a very solid front 7

Start Shipley & Holmes. Then maybe Nixon if healthy can be the 6th lineman in the 6 linemen formations

Hilton & Moncrief should be the slant guys as if they make a man miss it's a foot race from there

It seems to me that the past few games (especially the Giants game), we played in the shotgun formation 95% of the time, and the whole audience anticipates a pass.

I've always thought an easy way to slow down a pass rush would be more 5-10 yard slants, TE plays, and even delayed halfback draws. And I don't mean running the ball from the power formation where everyone is anticipating a run. Most of our passing plays seems to be towards the sideline, with very few towards the middle of the field.

I think the passing game is fine, personally.

Also just wanted to point out that over 55% of Luck's attempts come in the middle of the field, with great success.

I think the passing game is fine, personally.

Also just wanted to point out that over 55% of Luck's attempts come in the middle of the field, with great success.

I must not be reading Lucks passing splits right then because they say 68 passes over the middle, Play Direction, But if 55% is correct it comes as no surprise, Glad to hear we finally figured out most Linebackers cant cover well, Pep is catching on with the passing game very well no doubt.......The run game? well he doesn't seem to be very willing to try a variety of blocking schemes(Play call wise of course) consistently enough to confuse the defense, Most of its just slam it up with Man and Drive Blocking

I must not be reading Lucks passing splits right then because they say 68 passes over the middle, Play Direction, But if 55% is correct it comes as no surprise, Glad to hear we finally figured out most Linebackers cant cover well, Pep is catching on with the passing game.......The run game? well he doesn't seem to be very willing to try a variety of blocking schemes consistently enough to confuse the defense, Most of its just slam it up with Man and Drive Blocking

I think you're looking at his completion percentage in the middle. His percentage of attempts in the middle is 55.5%.

And the difference in Pep from last year to now is that our receiving corps is better. That's pretty much it.

A lot of plays, it seems like Luck is holding onto the ball for too long. e.g. each passing play out of the shotgun results in a 5+ yard snap, followed by a 5+ yard dropback, then pass. Lots of times, 3-4 seconds before passing. We need some form of 1-2 second instant pass play.

It just seems like we either gain 10+ yards on every play, or an incomplete pass. I can't remember the last time we had a "2nd and 4" play, or a "3rd and 1" where we run the ball.

A lot of plays, it seems like Luck is holding onto the ball for too long. e.g. each passing play out of the shotgun results in a 5+ yard snap, followed by a 5+ yard dropback, then pass. Lots of times, 3-4 seconds before passing. We need some form of 1-2 second instant pass play.

It just seems like we either gain 10+ yards on every play, or an incomplete pass. I can't remember the last time we had a "2nd and 4" play, or a "3rd and 1" where we run the ball.

Did you miss the end of the game yesterday?

Other than that, I think we had a penalty on every other third and short.

Some of it is on Luck, some of it is on Pep. Pep needs to take a page out of McCoys book. He revitalized Phillip Rivers by getting the ball out of his hands quick. 3 step drop-backs instead of 5 and short passes across the middle. Dink and dunk.

But some of it is one Luck. He holds on to the ball too long and is always trying to make a play down the field. He has to learn to take what is there.

I just don't get all the negative comments for an offense who is leading the league. There are some other things to whine about other than the offense. You would think the way these threads are reading the Colts were at the bottom of the league in just about everything. I really don't think the Colts are near as bad as some of you think. They are still a draft and a couple of free agents away from being a super bowl contender but they are far from the bottom of the league. Also way too many seem to forget the Colts are still in the rebuild mode. There are 27 teams in the NFL who have the same record or worse than the Colts. Most of those teams would like very much to have the players the Colts have. The negativity is way overboard.

It seems to me, most of our really successful runs have been draw plays, so run that more often. 

I've been yelling for more passes to RB's out of the backfield all year. Trent is dangerous once he's out in open field after the catch.....throw it to him! 

Couldn't agree more, this is the main factor in the West Coast Offense. I think the running backs aren't picking up the patterns and the Oline probably needs to learn their assignments too. I'm sure Luke knows it, he ran it at Stanford with Pep.

I think Richardson ran for a first down on 3rd and 3 sometime in the second half......but yeah, I was shocked they ran the ball.

No, it wouldn't hurt at all to get Luck a few more high percentage passes.  The completion percentage is going in the wrong direction.  You want to be attacking and aggressive, yes - that's what you do - but just tone it down a hair without altering what you do.  Dump it off to Boom a few more times and let him run with it. 

And the difference in Pep from last year to now is that our receiving corps is better. That's pretty much it.

I would disagree with that.  You've had two Peps - the one we saw for the first twelve games last year who attempted, after the Richardson trade, to play something similar to 49er and Seahawk football, and the one we've seen since.  The second version has been much more successful.  Toward the end of last season, it was just a matter of opening it up and letting Luck be Luck, regardless of who the WRs were - Rogers, Whalen, Brazill, etc.  Pep himself has admitted to this metamorphosis. 

It seems to me, most of our really successful runs have been draw plays, so run that more often. 

I've been yelling for more passes to RB's out of the backfield all year. Trent is dangerous once he's out in open field after the catch.....throw it to him! 

Trent is made for screens. We just don`t have the techicians/footspeed on the O-Line to run them. Holmes could help that.

As i said in pre-season, he should be our best lineman with some playing time. Considering we have NO good lineman.

They need more designed QB keeper plays. Luck can scoot and can dodge. Why don't the brain trust turn him loose once in a while and you cant say it's because they don't want him hurt because they never built an offensive line to protect him anyhow. He could just hit the floor after 4-5 yards because that would be more than Richardson would get.

What we need to do is take a page out of the era of old. How many times did peyton throw it to someone before the first down marker, right in front of defenders on a 3rd and 8?

At the time it was frustrating, but these kind of dump off plays could be perfect for Richardson to get going.

Luck needs to throw quicker, I agree. Yes, luck has a lot of weapons and leads a top offense.

But this topic is interesting none the less.

Or, just get extra blockers. It worked against the Skins who have a very solid front 7

Start Shipley & Holmes. Then maybe Nixon if healthy can be the 6th lineman in the 6 linemen formations

Hilton & Moncrief should be the slant guys as if they make a man miss it's a foot race from there

I wish you were our head coach when it comes to offensive line adjustments.

I would disagree with that. You've had two Peps - the one we saw for the first twelve games last year who attempted, after the Richardson trade, to play something similar to 49er and Seahawk football, and the one we've seen since. The second version has been much more successful. Toward the end of last season, it was just a matter of opening it up and letting Luck be Luck, regardless of who the WRs were - Rogers, Whalen, Brazill, etc. Pep himself has admitted to this metamorphosis.

That's true.