Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

andrew luck athletism being wasted

coming on strong

Look i  was a pep hater last year but this year i think he has done a great job. That being said i believe the colts are wasting lucks talents running the ball .  he runs as fast as cam newton and runs hard like tebow . 

Luck is already the most hit Qb in the league he is big and durable why not run a couple read options plays a game ?  It would help the run game by making defenders freeze up . It would make this offense even more dynamic and harder to defend. 

have luck run some more bootlegs and designed runs this offense would be hard to defend.

[ /youtube]

I'd prefer that we find ways to get AL hit less instead of more.

Having a QB run more doesn't necessarily get him hit more. QBs take their worst hits in the pocket, from 300 pound linemen, sometimes three or four of them at a time. If he runs and gets down or out of bounds, he'll actually get hit less.

That said, Andrew Luck isn't as athletic as Cam Newton or these other guys that he's been compared to. Just because he ran a similar 40 doesn't mean he's as fast as they are, he's not as quick, not as elusive, etc. It's a false equivalency. I'd also note that Cam Newton has been hit more than any other QB in his three and a half years in the league, so that's not really the model I'd be looking to copy.

Look i  was a pep hater last year but this year i think he has done a great job. That being said i believe the colts are wasting lucks talents running the ball .  he runs as fast as cam newton and runs hard like tebow . 

Luck is already the most hit Qb in the league he is big and durable why not run a couple read options plays a game ?  It would help the run game by making defenders freeze up . It would make this offense even more dynamic and harder to defend. 

have luck run some more bootlegs and designed runs this offense would be hard to defend.

[ /youtube]

Having a QB run more doesn't necessarily get him hit more. QBs take their worst hits in the pocket, from 300 pound linemen, sometimes three or four of them at a time. If he runs and gets down or out of bounds, he'll actually get hit less.

That said, Andrew Luck isn't as athletic as Cam Newton or these other guys that he's been compared to. Just because he ran a similar 40 doesn't mean he's as fast as they are, he's not as quick, not as elusive, etc. It's a false equivalency. I'd also note that Cam Newton has been hit more than any other QB in his three and a half years in the league, so that's not really the model I'd be looking to copy.

Are you referring to the Twitter/Facebook status Adam Schefter posted?  I saw that too.  The difference between #1 and #2 was unreal

Luck's athleticism is used properly, in my opinion.  He does scramble when his options aren't there and he's gotten a few rushing touchdowns.  He currently has 129 rush yards in 9 games, averaging a bit less than 15 per game.  I think that's enough to run for a first down here and there.  No need to change what has made us the best offense in the league

Are you referring to the Twitter/Facebook status Adam Schefter posted?  I saw that too.  The difference between #1 and #2 was unreal

Luck's athleticism is used properly, in my opinion.  He does scramble when his options aren't there and he's gotten a few rushing touchdowns.  He currently has 129 rush yards in 9 games, averaging a bit less than 15 per game.  I think that's enough to run for a first down here and there.  No need to change what has made us the best offense in the league

I didn't see Schefter's post, but I did hear about it. Newton gets his butt kicked.

As for Luck, I think we should roll him out more, let him stress the defense with his legs more than he does, and throw in some read option from time to time. If he's smart, he'll probably get hit less than he does now, and defenses will have one more thing to worry about. I also think he should bail more quickly than he does; he stays in the pocket too long sometimes. 

[ /youtube]

Even better, let's turn him into a two way player!!!! Andrew as starting QB and ILB (have you seen his tackling highlights!!!!WoW). Plus think of all the energy he'll save not having to run off the field all the time. I can't wait for this, plus we'll have an extra roster spot with one less linebacker. And.....Think of the salary cap savings! I think this idea is win-win-win-win.....................

I'd prefer that we find ways to get AL hit less instead of more.

Not by running smart like russell wilson , he takes no hits while running . With pulling the read option a couple times a game luck would read the defense and only run when there is wide open space and get down as soon as he gets the first down.

look how alex smith does it in kc he takes no hits and only runs it if there isn't a defender within ten yards of him then he gets a easy first down and keeps the chains moving.

look how good alfred morris was under the option 1500 yards now look at him , looks average. 

I didn't see Schefter's post, but I did hear about it. Newton gets his butt kicked.

As for Luck, I think we should roll him out more, let him stress the defense with his legs more than he does, and throw in some read option from time to time. If he's smart, he'll probably get hit less than he does now, and defenses will have one more thing to worry about. I also think he should bail more quickly than he does; he stays in the pocket too long sometimes. 

The gap between Cam and the others is unbelievable.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some more rollout.  After seeing the Texans use that play action boot against us for so long, it would be nice to have it as a weapon for ourselves.

Even better, let's turn him into a two way player!!!! Andrew as starting QB and ILB (have you seen his tackling highlights!!!!WoW). Plus think of all the energy he'll save not having to run off the field all the time. I can't wait for this, plus we'll have an extra roster spot with one less linebacker. And.....Think of the salary cap savings! I think this idea is win-win-win-win.....................

why can't you address the issue instead of trying to mock me? are you 10 ? any way how does having luck run the ball around 3-4 times a game and only running when there is a huge hole and getting down quick have to do with putting luck at line backer .

All i was saying was use his gifts to make the offense more dynamic .  using luck like aron rogders making him throw on the run more often as well could help luck cut down on his turnovers if instead of forcing throws if theres space in front of him run , there have been a lot of plays where luck had huge running lanes to get an easy first and instead tries to force it between 3 defenders.....

I believe pagano is in lucks ears telling him to stay  in the pocket , when pep came here he said the read option wasn't out of the question then pagano said not gonna happen.

The gap between Cam and the others is unbelievable.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some more rollout.  After seeing the Texans use that play action boot against us for so long, it would be nice to have it as a weapon for ourselves.

Yeah, that's the one. It doesn't help that Cam stands with his back to the left side of the field prior to the snap. Can't see backside blitzes, pressures, etc. One of the knocks on him prior to the draft was his footwork. 

why can't you address the issue instead of trying to mock me? are you 10 ? any way how does having luck run the ball around 3-4 times a game and only running when there is a huge hole and getting down quick have to do with putting luck at line backer .

All i was saying was use his gifts to make the offense more dynamic .  using luck like aron rogders making him throw on the run more often as well could help luck cut down on his turnovers if instead of forcing throws if theres space in front of him run , there have been a lot of plays where luck had huge running lanes to get an easy first and instead tries to force it between 3 defenders.....

I believe pagano is in lucks ears telling him to stay  in the pocket , when pep came here he said the read option wasn't out of the question then pagano said not gonna happen.

Oh come on, I'm sure that everyone who read my post knows I am dead serious. Did you even google Andrew Luck makes tackle after interception?

Psst.....never use the words "read option" + Luck again in the same post and I promise to take you seriously for as long as I may live (and good news i am 60 not 10 probably so I will be dead pretty soon but probably not before Andrew retires hopefully so help me out by following that 1 simple rule and I will behave).

Here is the Shefter graphic....

Adam Schefter         @AdamSchefter Follow

Most QB sacks or hits the past 4 season:

Cam Newton 531

Ryan Fitzpatrick 272

Alex Smith 257

Joe Flacco 254

How it it possible that's right?      Where is Andrew Luck's name?

On the MNF game vs. the Gaints (2 weeks ago)  Gruden said Luck has taken more hits than any other QB in football for the last 3 years.      

Now, measured over 4 years he's not in the top 4?   

I'd like to see where Luck is on the 4-year list,  yes, even thought he's only played 2 and a half years.    The 4-year list is actually 3 and a half years.

This doesn't add up to me.....

You guys are some of the most unhappiest fans I have ever seen.

I'd do anything to get rid of an aging QB with a huge ego and a coach that hates running the ball to replace him with a kid like Luck and a coach that is defensive minded.

It's for the future. Luck plays his butt off and still, there's something to be mad about.

You guys are some of the most unhappiest fans I have ever seen.

I'd do anything to get rid of an aging QB with a huge ego and a coach that hates running the ball to replace him with a kid like Luck and a coach that is defensive minded.

It's for the future. Luck plays his butt off and still, there's something to be mad about.

Not all of us.  I'm actually pretty happy.  I just keep my mouth shut and let the critics have at it.  "Homers" aren't welcome around these parts.

Here is the Shefter graphic....

Adam Schefter         @AdamSchefter Follow

Most QB sacks or hits the past 4 season:

Cam Newton 531

Ryan Fitzpatrick 272

Alex Smith 257

Joe Flacco 254

How it it possible that's right?      Where is Andrew Luck's name?

On the MNF game vs. the Gaints (2 weeks ago)  Gruden said Luck has taken more hits than any other QB in football for the last 3 years.      

Now, measured over 4 years he's not in the top 4?   

I'd like to see where Luck is on the 4-year list,  yes, even thought he's only played 2 and a half years.    The 4-year list is actually 3 and a half years.

This doesn't add up to me.....

59 QB hits through 9 games-2014.....6.5 per game...basically 7 QB hits allowed a game so far

2013-109 QB hits through 16 games.......6.8 times per game......basically 7 QB hits per game

2012-112 QB hits through 16 games according to counting them up on ESPN numbers......7 a game average

according to ESPN's QB hits allowed per game count last year and 280 total up to date

Look i was a pep hater last year but this year i think he has done a great job. That being said i believe the colts are wasting lucks talents running the ball . he runs as fast as cam newton and runs hard like tebow .

Luck is already the most hit Qb in the league he is big and durable why not run a couple read options plays a game ? It would help the run game by making defenders freeze up . It would make this offense even more dynamic and harder to defend.

[ /youtube]

Ya..for sure. Sounds all great and dandy. But...how dynamic will our offense be when Andrew ends up like RG3? Sure Andrews a big boy but if you play with fire for too long you're gonna get burnt. Do you wanna see Andrew get lit up by Haloti Ngata or some MLB coming full speed? I'm sure we can find a better way to move the ball with our stacked offensive skilled players. Save his running ability for crunch time when the game is on the line. Maybe it just me but I'd much rather see Andrews talents stick around for a while as opposed to pushing him to the limit to make our offense even better then what it already is..

Not by running smart like russell wilson , he takes no hits while running . With pulling the read option a couple times a game luck would read the defense and only run when there is wide open space and get down as soon as he gets the first down.

look how alex smith does it in kc he takes no hits and only runs it if there isn't a defender within ten yards of him then he gets a easy first down and keeps the chains moving.

look how good alfred morris was under the option 1500 yards now look at him , looks average.

He's been safe so far. Only 3 years in with a ways to go..If he keeps exposing himself to the defense one day he's gonna take a lick. All it takes is one hard tackle or one bad landing to tear something. Completely unnecessary to put our franchise QB at even more risk then he already is.

Also, there offense was extremely explosive that year. But running that offense and putting there QB in that kind of danger has put his career in danger. He's not even the same QB now. And it's not because he's injury prone. He took a hard hit from a large man because he was running around like crazy trying to make a play instead of standing in the pocket behind the protection of his Oline. I'd be extremely unhappy if we used Andrew recklessly like that.

I posted something similar a while back and got blasted too. 

Foles/Sanchez, Tannehill, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Kaepernick, Wislon, etc. all run the read-option at least 1-2 times per game.   Luck may not be as athletic as Newton or Kaepernick but he's certainly as athletic as the other aforementioned QBs.  And Luck is certainly physically stronger than Wilson. 

All that said, I can see the merits to both arguments.

59 QB hits through 9 games-2014.....6.5 per game...basically 7 QB hits allowed a game so far

2013-109 QB hits through 16 games.......6.8 times per game......basically 7 QB hits per game

2012-112 QB hits through 16 games according to counting them up on ESPN numbers......7 a game average

according to ESPN's QB hits allowed per game count last year and 280 total up to date

Thanks very much.     Really appreciate you doing this....      :thmup:

Makes me wonder if the stats are different from NFL.com to PFF to PFO to any other stat crunching orgranization.

I understand your opinion but exactly how do you know what Pagano said?

Thanks very much.     Really appreciate you doing this....      :thmup:

Makes me wonder if the stats are different from NFL.com to PFF to PFO to any other stat crunching orgranization.

NFL.com has 57 hits for the Colts allowed in 2014 so far http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_QBHIT&tabSeq=2&season=2014&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

I don't really see the harm. The Dolphins have started running Tannehill more, and it has really payed off for them. And they have the same problem with their O-line letting him get hammered at times (although not as bad as last year). I'd like to see some read option 1-2 times a game. I mean he's getting nailed standing in the pocket, might be better to let him get out of it from time to time.

Plus if he runs like Wilson does, he doesn't have to worry about getting hit. Just get 10 yards and get out of bounds.

On 3rd and short situations, I would like Luck to run the ball himself. But agreeing with the other guy on this thread. We should save those running plays for the playoffs. No reason for him to be injured the the regular season. Once playoffs start, unleash the beast and pull out all the plays. Then the kids will be like "Mama, there goes that man"

I think offensively everything is going great right now. Pep has done a GREAT job this season. Probably will be a head coach after this season if this continues.

I'd rather NOT put Luck more at risk and to continue doing what's working.

I don't think running a couple read option plays put him at risk at all. Tannehill is killing teams with just a few read option plays and not taking any punishment.

I don't think running a couple read option plays put him at risk at all. Tannehill is killing teams with just a few read option plays and not taking any punishment.

Do you really have an opinion? This comment is exactly opposite of your earlier comment. I get the feeling all you want to do is be argumentative.