Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It looks like, based on the practice pictures

Coffeedrinker

Maybe Pagano wants to develop a new form of football called "platoon football!!!!" starting with platoon centers and extending the concept to platoon offensive line! Since in baseball the platoon system is based on lefty/righty I'll need to get inside Chuck's mind to decifer what this platoon system is based on. (if only I could get my hands on an enigma decoder) Maybe it has something to do with the astrological signs?????? 

On a side note, has anyone been surprised by Satele starting (and doing extremely well) with the Dolphins?

Same goes for Hughes in Buffalo. Too bad those two didn't pan out in Indy.

Satele doing extremely well?? Tannehill has already been sacked 25 times already this year compared to Lucks 14, they gave up 5 sacks last game. The Miami Herald in a recent article quoted them as tenuous or very weak. Definitely would say Satele is being Satele, haha!!!

Hughes has looked decent though, def can't argue with you there. He seems to be getting better with Buffalo also, on pace to have more tackles, sacks ect barring he just tanks.

Satele doing extremely well?? Tannehill has already been sacked 25 times already this year compared to Lucks 14, they gave up 5 sacks last game. The Miami Herald in a recent article quoted them as tenuous or very weak. Definitely would say Satele is being Satele, haha!!!

Hughes has looked decent though, def can't argue with you there. He seems to be getting better with Buffalo also, on pace to have more tackles, sacks ect barring he just tanks.

And the center can control the entire offensive line? He has not given up all 25 sacks. Cmon man, don't be that dumb. I mean that with sincerity, not animosity.

On a side note, has anyone been surprised by Satele starting (and doing extremely well) with the Dolphins?

Same goes for Hughes in Buffalo.  Too bad those two didn't pan out in Indy. 

Hughes doesn't get enough credit for the job he did in 2012 in Pagano's defense.  It's a shame he's not in the Colt's defense now.

His pass rushing productivity (PRP a PFF formula) was better than both Mathis and Freeney in Pagano's 2012 defense.  His run stop % was better than Mathis and more than double Freeney.

Pass Rush snaps, PRP

Hughes: 225, 9.4%

Freeney: 414, 8.8%

Mathis:  283: 8.4%

Presssures [sacks, hits, hurries]

Hughes: 27 pressures in 225 pass rush snaps (12.0%) [4 sacks, 6 hits, 17 hurries]

Freeney: 47 pressures in 414 pass rush snaps (11.4%) [5 sacks, 9 hits, 33 hurries]

Mathis: 29 pressures in 283 pass rush snaps (10.2%) [8 sacks, 5 hits, 16 hurries]

Tackles on running plays:

Hughes: 22 in 257 run snaps (8.6%)

Mathis: 18 in 243 run snaps (7.4%)

Freeney: 9 in 227 run snaps (4.0%)

The thread is about a bench warmer working with the 2nd stringers......

*Allen Iverson voice*

We talking about practice man

This has absolutely no impact on what the starters will be Sunday

Grigs already said in an interview that Holmes will be playing G now, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

I'd like to know who's starting at RT.

Our starters for this game.

I would not agree that they are "awful".  They are not great, but they are far from awful.  AC has done a good job along with Mewhort and Thornton.  Harrison is still learning, but not bad for a UDFA and GC has been playing with some injuries this year.  They are pro bowlers for sure but they are not the worst line either and they are far better than two years ago.

Holmes is working with the 2nd unit at center and Shipley is at RG with Nixon at RT.

Pictures

Could be a reflection of the journey for Holmes to be active on gameday - and might help explain why he hasn't been considered ready earlier.  

For Holmes to be active, he needs to be current at G or C.  If he has been practicing with the 2's at G, maybe he needed a few reps back at C  to get his card stamped.  Shipley has never been part of the future, so this could be part of the plan to de-activate him and ultimately phase him out.

So are you assuming all of those sacks are on Satele?  Or do you have proof bearing that?

If those are on him, I stand corrected.  I mean, I suppose you could say that line calls/protections are the C's responsibility. 

But sometimes, the other o-linemen just get whooped/pancaked.

I'll have to look at Satele's PFF grades.

And the center can control the entire offensive line? He has not given up all 25 sacks. Cmon man, don't be that dumb. I mean that with sincerity, not animosity.

I didn't say he alone gave up 25 sacks, you got to actually read the post my friend.  Nowhere did I state "Samson Satele gave up 25 sacks."  I was saying their line is weak, this not only according to myself but the Miami Herald.  I watched the Buffalo game and Satele looked like Satele, al be it against a very good DL with Buffalo.  I haven't seen anything showing me he's playing extremely well and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks their line as a whole is weak. 

So are you assuming all of those sacks are on Satele?  Or do you have proof bearing that?

If those are on him, I stand corrected.  I mean, I suppose you could say that line calls/protections are the C's responsibility. 

But sometimes, the other o-linemen just get whooped/pancaked.

I'll have to look at Satele's PFF grades.

No, not all the sacks were on Satele but he didn't play great at all.  He was only responsible for 1 out of the 5 sacks, their RT got man handled by Mario Williams though giving up 2.5 I believe, which is not uncommon when facing MW.  The Bills do have a very good DL though. 

However, this week Satele is questionable and may be replaced by Pouncey according to the Sun-sentinel.  I guess the Dolphins will see how it goes.

Hughes doesn't get enough credit for the job he did in 2012 in Pagano's defense. It's a shame he's not in the Colt's defense now.

His pass rushing productivity (PRP a PFF formula) was better than both Mathis and Freeney in Pagano's 2012 defense. His run stop % was better than Mathis and more than double Freeney.

Pass Rush snaps, PRP

Hughes: 225, 9.4%

Freeney: 414, 8.8%

Mathis: 283: 8.4%

Presssures [sacks, hits, hurries]

Hughes: 27 pressures in 225 pass rush snaps (12.0%) [4 sacks, 6 hits, 17 hurries]

Freeney: 47 pressures in 414 pass rush snaps (11.4%) [5 sacks, 9 hits, 33 hurries]

Mathis: 29 pressures in 283 pass rush snaps (10.2%) [8 sacks, 5 hits, 16 hurries]

Tackles on running plays:

Hughes: 22 in 257 run snaps (8.6%)

Mathis: 18 in 243 run snaps (7.4%)

Freeney: 9 in 227 run snaps (4.0%)

We sure could use him now!

Satele doing extremely well?? Tannehill has already been sacked 25 times already this year compared to Lucks 14, they gave up 5 sacks last game. Definitely would say Satele is being Satele, haha!!!

You start of with questioning satele and then following it up with stating Tannehill had been sacked 25 times. To a normal person comprehending the English language, one would think that the statement following the question had to do with the original question. Most people don't change subjects like that and not state what the new subject is. Then after you say they, you then put out back on satele.

What am I supposed to think other than you blaming him for the sacks?

You start of with questioning satele and then following it up with stating Tannehill had been sacked 25 times. To a normal person comprehending the English language, one would think that the statement following the question had to do with the original question. Most people don't change subjects like that and not state what the new subject is. Then after you say they, you then put out back on satele.

What am I supposed to think other than you blaming him for the sacks?

Fair enough, I will try to be more clear and concise for you my master. I will also make sure my sentence structure is more suitable, thus reducing the risk of disappointing the all knowing and great Narcosys.

It sure be nice to get something out of Holmes. Having him on the non active roster each week does nothing to boost my confidence that he ever will. Much like huges though,perhaps he just isn't in the right system to maximize his talents or our coaching just can't find the right way to pull it out of him. At any rate, this season shows we have some weak points in the line and it seems as it's mostly from the RT/RG spot with some rookie issues from the center/LG spot. Good news is, the latter is resolvable with reps and possibly the RG too. RT just has injuries and needs healing time and a look into his future replacement with youth.

Many other teams are in far worse trouble than we are so I feel good about where we are with the core talent here now.