Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches working with Andrew Luck to cut down his mental mistakes

TKnight24

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck does make some mistakes, stares down QBs and makes some head shaking errand throws but so does every QB. I've seen Manning make some terrible decisions this year also, near interceptions ect.

Every QB does it, there are definitely things to correct and I'm sure Luck knows that, but at the same time Luck is under more durress than almost any QB I've ever seen. In a pass happy offense with an OL which can't really pass protect adequately, you will see mistakes and always continue to see mistakes until Luck cuts down the mental mistakes AND this OL learns to consistantly pass block.

The pass happiness is Pep's fault.

Every run against NY went for a positive gain.

We may not have the running games of Seattle & Pittsburgh but it's enough to at least keep the defense honest

We may not have the running games of Seattle & Pittsburgh but it's enough to at least keep the defense honest

First we run too much ... Blame Pep

We lose to the Broncos... Blame Pep

We lose to the Eagles... Blame Pep

We're going to finish the season 5-11... Blame Pep

Now...we're passing too much... Blame Pep

Think your jukebox needs more than one record there!

Luck still has things to learn. Third year and he is putting up MVP type numbers. I'll take it. He has a bit of Favre in him at times but also he is just still learning. 

I can accept that because Luck is the 1st guy to own his mistakes which tells me that Andrew is gonna set the NFL on fire once he learns to throw the ball away more frequently.

We aren't talking about Andy Dalton. Thank God. LOL! 

Luck is really good though, would probably be one of my favorite players if he wasn't on the Colts, but they tanked a season fair and square to get him

Thanks JM51. Luck's almost impossible to hate unless you have a overpowering phobia of facial hair that is. If you wanna assign blame for our lackluster season under QB Curtis Painter & Kerry Collins, go after our former GM Bill Polian who admitted himself that "Painter was not ready to take the starting QB reins." 

The rules have changed so much since Brady and Mannings early years the stats can`t be compared. Get real!

Did you know Brady played outdoors? On grass! Much more difficult to time routes.

16 of Andrews first 22 wins were against below average to bad teams and he had to come from behind in the 4th Q to win i`m sure half or more of them.

If you watched all of those first 22, you saw many of those wins were because those bad teams did stupid stuff and just gave the games away. We didn`t play well at all. Andrew completed under 50% of his passes 4 of the last 5 games of his rookie season and only 50% in the other. Barf! He did run a lot.

Getting hit? Bet he leads the league for several more years... the guy to often has to wait for his receivers to come out of their break, STILL!

We ALL Agree he will be fine, some here are just Pom Pom waving blind Homers, and some here like to talk FOOTBALL.

What?!!!! If it was SO easy then EVERY team would have a young qb blowing Manning's and Brady's early numbers out the box ESPECIALLY with the rule changes!! Yeah I did watch his first 22 wins but I REMIND YOU that he came to a pitiful 2-14 team that had CLEANED HOUSE by releasing players, (including one of the greatest qbs to EVER play) had fired the front office and coaching staff while replacing them with UNPROVEN talent. So if you want to talk about BAD teams the Colts were in that category with make shift players sprinkled with a few gems. Don't forget the defense was going to a 3-4 defense but had 4-3 personnel. Ask teams like the Raiders and Jags how easy it is to beat BAD teams. Over the last 10 yrs teams have reached over and over in the 1st round LOOKING for the next Peyton or Brady only to come up snake eyes!! No I'm NOT a blind homer but I'm NOT A HATER either just a football fan RECOGNIZING the EARLY stages of something good. :heh:   

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/13/andrew-luck-tom-brady-learning-mental-aspects-of-nfl/18969293/

Good article. Kind of a Frankenstein of some old information, with some new tidbits mixed in there. I especially like the parts from Hasselbeck about studying coordinators to pick up on what tendencies are, being prepared to make a play when the chance comes, etc. Nothing earth shattering, but good stuff.

Also, I meant to post earlier, but Hasselbeck was the third man in the booth for the Cards/Rams game last week, and did a pretty good job. His next career, if he wants it, is pretty much settled. He'll be a really good analyst.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/11/13/andrew-luck-tom-brady-learning-mental-aspects-of-nfl/18969293/

Good article. Kind of a Frankenstein of some old information, with some new tidbits mixed in there. I especially like the parts from Hasselbeck about studying coordinators to pick up on what tendencies are, being prepared to make a play when the chance comes, etc. Nothing earth shattering, but good stuff.

Also, I meant to post earlier, but Hasselbeck was the third man in the booth for the Cards/Rams game last week, and did a pretty good job. His next career, if he wants it, is pretty much settled. He'll be a really good analyst.

Thanks for the link. Great quotes from Christensen and Hasselbeck.

No one is perfect. Just cause we're pointing out his flaws doesn't mean we don't "appreciate" him

This forum would be pointless if all we did was praise players 24/7

It's like threads like these hit a sensitive nerve or something. When it's making fun of Landry or something it's no biggy. But when it's the likes of Luck, Reggie, Mathis etc etc...... Then it's a problem?

Then you start questioning people's fandom and all that. I just don't understand it

:rantoff:

Because the criticism isn't being made in a logical way that allows for context.  

For example, "This season, Luck has already thrown as many ints as did all of last season"; that sounds alarming until someone points out that he has also already thrown for more touchdowns this season than all of last season, leads the league in attempts, leads in yards/ypg, is leading one of the top 2-3 offenses (statistically) in the NFL, has improved in completion percentage, passer rating, etc., etc., etc.  

I mean, sure I'd love to see a few less picks and better decision making at times but the amount of harping and nitpicking that goes on around here is beyond silly.  I'm starting to feel like the guy changed his name in the offseason to Andrew "needs to cut down on mistakes" Luck because half the time I see his name on this site I see that lame comment right next to it.  350 yds, 3 tds, and a win... "Meh, his completion percentage was low and he missed a couple of throws; needs to cut down on mistakes".  Criticism is only a good thing when it is good criticism.  At some point, nitpicking from bored/spoiled (I can't decide which)  fans becomes tiresome and annoying.  Its Luck's 3rd season. To this point he has been phenomenal. He is as good if not better than advertised coming out of Stanford.  Pointing out mistakes is fine but the attention to mistakes on this site outweighs their actual occurrence. You'd think our QB was Geno Smith...

When I watch Luck I see a more mobile version of Drew Bledsoe. Great big arm, can take a hit and shake off tacklers but makes 2-3 plays a game that are head scratching. That was his rap in college as well. I have a tough time believe the Colts will ever win a championship with him. These types of tendencies don't go away. They creep in at the most inopportune times. I am sure BB is licking his chops like he was every time he faced Bledsoe.

Why?

He's a competitor, and we were still in the game, and he's going to try to keep his team in it.

The only reason we're talking about this is he fell straight on his bum, getting up or any movement becomes very difficult. if he had fallen on his side or stomach, you can bet a million dollars he would've squirmed just past the line of scrimmage.

Last point I have, why weren't we in shotgun on that snap? Obvious passing down because the steelers' front was going to be coming hard to get the safety, and had we handed it off, it MOST LIKELY would've been a safety anyway.

Bad playcalling put him in a position to fail, but Andrew clearly doesn't feel like he has the autonomy to change the play at the line like Peyton did, but that will come.

Why?  Being competitive does not mean doing dumb things.  Throwing the ball while laying on your back, any where on the field, is a dumb thing.

From the rest of your post I see that you are one of those, Luck can do no wrong, people.   I'm not sure if 2nd and 10 at the 5 is an obvious passing down, but blaming the line, Pep or if Luck felt more comfortable changing the play he would have changed it and not got the safety is a bit on the ridiculous side. Why not blame Studebaker for recovering the fumble at the 5 yard line, if he advanced it to the six then it Luck would not have fallen into the endzone.  Or blame Fleener, if he had caught the first down pass then Luck would not have been in that situation. 

Thanks for the link

Luck is really good though, would probably be one of my favorite players if he wasn't on the Colts, but they tanked a season fair and square to get him

Link?

Proof or gtho?

Pics or didn't happen?

Also if the rules are so much easier why doesn't every QB have these crazy numbers? Answer. While the rules are more QB friendly, only the good/great QBs shine and have the stats like Luck does. And while stats are nice and all, Luck wins games. A lot of them.

When I watch Luck I see a more mobile version of Drew Bledsoe. Great big arm, can take a hit and shake off tacklers but makes 2-3 plays a game that are head scratching. That was his rap in college as well. I have a tough time believe the Colts will ever win a championship with him. These types of tendencies don't go away. They creep in at the most inopportune times. I am sure BB is licking his chops like he was every time he faced Bledsoe.

It's nice when posters immediately share how much, or how little in this case, football knowledge they have right up front.

Makes it easier on me, to know who to take seriously, or not.

The rules have changed so much since Brady and Mannings early years the stats can`t be compared. Get real!

Did you know Brady played outdoors? On grass! Much more difficult to time routes.

16 of Andrews first 22 wins were against below average to bad teams and he had to come from behind in the 4th Q to win i`m sure half or more of them.

If you watched all of those first 22, you saw many of those wins were because those bad teams did stupid stuff and just gave the games away. We didn`t play well at all. Andrew completed under 50% of his passes 4 of the last 5 games of his rookie season and only 50% in the other. Barf! He did run a lot.

Getting hit? Bet he leads the league for several more years... the guy to often has to wait for his receivers to come out of their break, STILL!

We ALL Agree he will be fine, some here are just Pom Pom waving blind Homers, and some here like to talk FOOTBALL.

It's okay little buddy. The sting from Peyton leaving will go away eventually.

But posts like these that lack any football IQ or even normal IQ, aren't going to make the hurt any better sadly :(

And you know this...how?  How do you know Pep didn't call an additional 10-15 run plays throughout the course of the game that Luck audibled into passes?  

He's in his third year, so of course he'll make some headscratching decisions, but he'll learn from every mistake that he makes and reduce the likelihood of repeating those in the future

Luck is no Drew Bledsoe, he's a different breed of animal

Link?

Proof or gtho?

Pics or didn't happen?

Also if the rules are so much easier why doesn't every QB have these crazy numbers? Answer. While the rules are more QB friendly, only the good/great QBs shine and have the stats like Luck does. And while stats are nice and all, Luck wins games. A lot of them.

I never denied that Luck is a good QB, soon to be great.

But stats by themselves just don't accurately paint a picture.

The team they're drafted by matters, the environment they plan in matters, the talent they have around them matters, the style of offense/scheme they run matters

Just looking strictly at the stats doesn't do the argument any justice. If you play in a dome on astro turf, statistically the numbers will be a bit higher. .

If you play on an offense loaded with weapons, statistically the numbers will be higher.

If you play for an offensive coordinator that loves to chuck the ball around the yard, statistically the numbers will be higher.

If you're playing in an Era where there is a new, increased emphasis by the league to limit defenders to create more scoring, statistically the numbers will be higher.

Remember when 3000 or so yards was considered a great year? Then the offensive evolution continued and 4000 yards was the new mark of a great year? Now, qbs are hitting our getting extremely close to 5000 yards.

It's a trend that cannot be ignored. That doesn't mean that Luck isn't good, the Colts built their team in a way to have a lot of speed and sling the ball all over the place, and Luck is delivering in what they expected of him in that offense

I never denied that Luck is a good QB, soon to be great.

But stats by themselves just don't accurately paint a picture.

The team they're drafted by matters, the environment they plan in matters, the talent they have around them matters, the style of offense/scheme they run matters

Just looking strictly at the stats doesn't do the argument any justice. If you play in a dome on astro turf, statistically the numbers will be a bit higher. .

If you play on an offense loaded with weapons, statistically the numbers will be higher.

If you play for an offensive coordinator that loves to chuck the ball around the yard, statistically the numbers will be higher.

If you're playing in an Era where there is a new, increased emphasis by the league to limit defenders to create more scoring, statistically the numbers will be higher.

Remember when 3000 or so yards was considered a great year? Then the offensive evolution continued and 4000 yards was the new mark of a great year? Now, qbs are hitting our getting extremely close to 5000 yards.

It's a trend that cannot be ignored. That doesn't mean that Luck isn't good, the Colts built their team in a way to have a lot of speed and sling the ball all over the place, and Luck is delivering in what they expected of him in that offense

So if Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith was on the Colts he would have the same stats?

Come now. If you have a high paced offense, a coach who likes to throw it, and great weapons, doesn't guarantee you are going to perform well. Just ask Andy Dalton.

And while the numbers per year are higher, common denominator that it is almost exclusively the elite QBs that can reach those numbers. Luck is elite. Not in the Rodgers, Brady, Manning elite, but his stats reflect a high quality QB, not the beneficiary of a different era.

Did I mention he wins games?

So if Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith was on the Colts he would have the same stats?

Come now. If you have a high paced offense, a coach who likes to throw it, and great weapons, doesn't guarantee you are going to perform well. Just ask Andy Dalton.

And while the numbers per year are higher, common denominator that it is almost exclusively the elite QBs that can reach those numbers. Luck is elite. Not in the Rodgers, Brady, Manning elite, but his stats reflect a high quality QB, not the beneficiary of a different era.

Did I mention he wins games?

No Geno Smith and Sanchez aren't nearly as talented as Luck and obviously you can't just throw any average Joe in there to produce numbers, but Luck is not an average quarterback, he's closing in on elite territory and when you plug a QB like that into a team built like the Colts in their stadium environment, you're going to get above average numbers.

If he had the offense that Brady did in 2001 and played in New England, his numbers would still be solid and respectable but I don't feel they would be as high as his have been

And that's good on Luck, he was put into an ideal situation and he's taking advantage of that opportunity, but I just think you have to be careful when saying player X is playing "better" than player Y

The exaexample I like to use obviously because of my familiarity with the team is the '07 Pats and the '10 Pats..

The 2007 team put up more stats, but I think Brady and the offense were better in 2010

That's all I'm saying, I'm not slamming Luck or saying he's not good, he's been great, but the comparison game is a dangerous one

No Genoa Smith and Sanchez aren't nearly as talented ad Luck and obviously you can't just throw any average Joe in there to produce numbers, but Luck is not an average quarterback, he's closing in on elite territory and when you plug a QB into a team built like the Colts in their stsdoum environment, you're going to get above average numbers.

If he had the offense that Brady did in 2001 and played in New England, his numbers would still be solid and respectable but I don't feel they would be as high as his have been

And that's good on Luck, he was put into an ideal situation and he's taking advantage of that opportunity, but I just think you have to be careful when saying player X is playing "better" than player Y

The exaexample I like to use obviously because of my familiarity with the team is the '07 Pats and the '10 Pats..

The 2007 team put up more stats, but I think Brady and the offense were better in 2010

That's all I'm saying, I'm not slamming Luck or saying he's not good, he's been great, but the comparison game is a dangerous one

I'm not saying bashing is taking place. But just because he has big numbers. It isn't totally based on him playing in the era and system he is in. Just like any other great QB isn't defined by these things.

I hate to be the guy that nit picks comments but the fact that Brady plays outdoor on grass with bad footing that disrupts timing routes goes both ways. wouldn't Brady have a lot more "cheap" completions due to defensive players falling down in the outdoor grass with bad footing? Remember the bad footing/bad weather mantra: the offensive player knows where he's going the defensive player doesn't.

Ohhh yeah I think the Pats will see a decent dose of Bradshaw and Trent.

I hope, at least.........

How so?

I think if he cut down on some mistakes then he would not be throwing the ball as much and the Colts would be running more late in the game.

I don't think his mistakes have resulted in more passing this season. Breaking down how this year has gone, game by game, I don't see a lot of situations where better play by him would have significantly changed the game situation.

In the Denver game, the first half defense was terrible, so were likely going to be throwing in the second half, regardless. In the Eagles game, Luck only attempted 34 passes, by far his low of this season. And the defense against the Steelers was terrible, so despite Luck's mistakes, we would have been behind in that one. Maybe some here, some there, but I don't really think there'd be a substantial difference in his pass attempts this year.

He's in his third year, so of course he'll make some headscratching decisions, but he'll learn from every mistake that he makes and reduce the likelihood of repeating those in the future

Luck is no Drew Bledsoe, he's a different breed of animal

While I agree Luck is already on a different level than Bledsoe entirely, I don't know why Bledsoe + mobility is viewed as a bad thing. Bledsoe took the Patriots to the Superbowl in his 4th year in the league. The guy is remembered as some stiff that Brady dethroned, but he could actually ball.

I like to think luck has a little brett favre in him

Favre was a great quarterback. I'd take his mobility over Manning's pocket awareness easily.

It's a shame more people make fun of Favre over his interceptions but ya know, we obviously can't say that about the other guy that throws pick 6's in the big game.

QB's are going to throw picks. No QB is special to the point he don't make mistakes. I think you guys over analyze Luck's mistakes cause so many on this board are too used to being spoiled rotten with Manning there and all his stats that are meaningless at the end of the day when you don't win a Super Bowl.

Favre was a great quarterback. I'd take his mobility over Manning's pocket awareness easily.

It's a shame more people make fun of Favre over his interceptions but ya know, we obviously can't say that about the other guy that throws pick 6's in the big game.

QB's are going to throw picks. No QB is special to the point he don't make mistakes. I think you guys over analyze Luck's mistakes cause so many on this board are too used to being spoiled rotten with Manning there and all his stats that are meaningless at the end of the day when you don't win a Super Bowl.

I meant he takes risks like favre and hes a gun slinger not his ints

Q: Andrew Luck has seven interceptions in two games against you. What do you think you've done to put him in positions where he makes mistakes? 

BB: I don't know. I think obviously when you're ahead and they're throwing at the end of the game, like they were last year, we've all been in that situation before. I'm sure that's not where they want to be or where we want to be or where any team wants to be. If we can put them in that situation again, that would be good for us. 

http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Bill-Belichick-Transcript-Theyve-done-a-good-job-in-all-three-phases-of-the-game/3607fc39-fc52-48e8-95b8-38ca3738866e

While I agree Luck is already on a different level than Bledsoe entirely, I don't know why Bledsoe + mobility is viewed as a bad thing. Bledsoe took the Patriots to the Superbowl in his 4th year in the league. The guy is remembered as some stiff that Brady dethroned, but he could actually ball.

While I don't feel he's on Andrew Luck's level as far as talent is concerned, Bledsoe i feel is viewed as a hero by most long-time Pats fans and I have a very high level of respect and appreciation for what he meant to this franchise..

You're right, he did bring them to a SB against the Packers in 96 and made the Pats relevant for most of his tenure here in New England...  People need to not forget that he lifted this franchise up to relevancy... not quite to the SB level but he got them close and is a very classy and respectable human being...

I tip my hat to Drew Bledsoe and if I ever saw him out on the town he wouldn't be paying for a single drink all night long... He should be and I feel is respected for what he accomplished in New England and more importantly I feel that Kraft has done a good job of recognizing him and other past players like him that were key members of this franchise... Just because they might not have won a Super Bowl, they were integral in building this franchise up into relevancy and should be respected for all of the dedication and sacrifice they put into this team and region...

I love Drew Bledsoe and he will forever be ingrained in my mind as an important piece of Patriot's history...  I sincerely hope he understands that people in this region love and support him, and that his efforts are not taken for granted or forgotten.