Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaches working with Andrew Luck to cut down his mental mistakes

TKnight24

Well, wasn't towards bluephantom so apologies if they feel that way. But it's just a select few who do make it seem like you're a bad fan or something just for pointing out the flaws of certain player

You responded to bluephantom, misrepresenting his point. You could save the "bad fan" discussion for someone who is actually trying to make that argument.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to jump on the coulda woulda shouda thing but the mistake wasn't tripping...nor not rolling out of the endzone. The mistake in my mind would be trying to throw a 10 yd out from the butt of your pants in the endzone....some plays you just gotta eat it. Maybe he was just trying to throw it out of bounds (likely) but that easily could have been a pick six. Some plays you just have to live to fight another day...eat it....or run for a couple yds....or dump it in the stands....throwing from your butt is probably not the best choice. All that said it proves he is constantly thinking even in incredibly chaotic situations....that is great!

I think Luck still has some issues reading defenses and choosing the right place to go with the ball. He is young and that is normal...he gets fooled several times a game and they just want to limit that....because not always is the defense going to drop a sure fire int like we've seen a lot this year. Seems most his ints are from overthrows...probably due to people in his face and effecting his follow thru on his passes causing them to sail...or simply him just trying to throw it too hard. Those hard throws also make it difficult to catch the ball when its away from your body. We've even seen sure handed Reggie drop a few I think due to the velocity. There is such a thing as too strong of an arm....and when it causes balls to sail or passes to tip off of outstretched hands sometimes finessing a pass more similar to Drew Brees or Peyton Manning is the better option. Overall for a young qb he is learning quickly and doing a FABULOUS job. As he watches more game tape and plays against the same defenses over and over he will learn better to read them and adjust his game. Peyton didn't learn over night....and still hasn't figured out some like Belicheks...which gives me great concern about the game sunday....I think it would be great if they play almost all man...but Bill will change it up and throw different zones etc...and thats where I worry the picks come from...the exotic looks...kinda like what great DCs do...like Pitts and SD...they throw lots of looks and bail out of lots of blitzs etc. Fools many qbs even when you have lesser talent.

Not to jump on the coulda woulda shouda thing but the mistake wasn't tripping...nor not rolling out of the endzone. The mistake in my mind would be trying to throw a 10 yd out from the butt of your pants in the endzone....some plays you just gotta eat it. Maybe he was just trying to throw it out of bounds (likely) but that easily could have been a pick six. Some plays you just have to live to fight another day...eat it....or run for a couple yds....or dump it in the stands....throwing from your butt is probably not the best choice. All that said it proves he is constantly thinking even in incredibly chaotic situations....that is great!

If you eat it, you take a safety. Considering how the following possession went, a pick six would have been a better result. I doubt Luck is thinking about all of that. I think he was just trying to get the ball out of the end zone, thinking that it would maybe be grounding, but not a safety. 

If you eat it, you take a safety. Considering how the following possession went, a pick six would have been a better result. I doubt Luck is thinking about all of that. I think he was just trying to get the ball out of the end zone, thinking that it would maybe be grounding, but not a safety. 

Well it was barely a safety..by just inches....I doubt he even knew he was in the endzone honestly...I think he just thought throw it away...but that was a pretty dangerous throw...to me the right choice is just to eat it because the int would have been devastating...but yeah it turned out bad either way lol. I just rather my qb eat it in that situation or try to fall forward but yeah that play was so fast...no telling what could have happened. I don't mean to be too critical...just like that play against the Giants sometimes I wish he just eat it.....but I know he never gives up...and sometimes squeezes out of those situations too so you live by the sword your going to die by it too sometimes. Overall he is showing he is an elite qb and thats awesome for us. I worry against the good defenses on some of these miscues because they are more likely to make us pay for them but we are very lucky to have this kid.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You look at a difficult situation in hindsight and say what a player should have done, but that's a much different burden than actually making the perfect decision in the heat of the moment. I don't know how that's even arguable, much less disappointing.

Just to be clear, I'm talking specifically about the safety against the Steelers. The only chance he had was to roll out of the end zone, but that's one of probably four choices. He has to diagnose that on the spot, and make the right decision, based on information that he really doesn't have at the moment (like the fact that, if his entire body isn't out of the end zone when he throws it, it's going to be a safety). To say "yeah, he really messed that up" ignores the difficult circumstances.

By contrast, he made a really stupid decision to try to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack against the Giants. Just flipped the ball out, in the field of play, which could easily have been picked off. That's a situation he's been in before, and everyone knows that you don't throw the ball away in the field of play while you're being sacked. That's much different, and that's a play that deserves plenty of criticism. The safety against Pittsburgh is much more of a nitpick.

I don't mean any disrespect. And I am not saying it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to change the outcome of the situation. Just that I feel that the actions he took were a mistake. I don't think it's nitpicking, just calling it a mistake. Albeit one which would have been very hard to avoid.

on the safety, he doesn't even have to roll out of the endzone does he?  I thought all he'd have needed to do was get the ball, even just the tip, out of the endzone.  He also had boom herron right beside him.  if he simply flicks the ball at Boom's feet then it's simply an incomplete pass.  now as superman said, Luck had to digest that all in a matter of about one second.

I do think Luck was still locking on to Hilton and Wayne during the first 2 games this year to some degree, but haven't seen him doing it since then.  

Yes, he's a 3rd year QB and for a 3rd year QB he's damn near amazing, but that doesn't mean there aren't things he can improve on, which is obviously how the coaches feel hence the article.

I haven't seen that at all this year. I've only seen it his rookie season. When he has thrown the ball to Wayne this year, he has been open.

Says a lot.

He has forced a number of balls to Reggie this season, of course the larger point is he stares down his receivers many times EVERY game.

Carry on.

Says a lot.

He has forced a number of balls to Reggie this season, of course the larger point is he stares down his receivers many times EVERY game.

Carry on.

You are an example of a nitpicking fan. Luck stares down receivers when he is hitting nine different ones a game? And I have watched every game and not just checked the stats of Luck's interceptions and T Richs YPC and come on here to criticize them.

It's called GROWTH and EXPERIENCE!!! I'm amazed how people pick at his game instead of appreciating it. They showed a couple of stats on espn and as amazing as Tom Brady started his career through 41games Luck has ONE less win, the SAME amount of ints 36 but MORE tds and yds than Brady at the same point. His stats are BETTER than Peyton's when he started ESPECIALLY in ints and Luck's winning percentage is like FOURTH all time to start a career while taking the most hits with a subpar o-line (which has gotten better) to start his career. He's had two oc's and started with a rookie hc ALL while REPLACING the GOAT who by the way is STILL playing at a very HIGH level yet Luck leads the league in most stats now! I think Andrew will be just fine..... :violin:   

The rules have changed so much since Brady and Mannings early years the stats can`t be compared. Get real!

Did you know Brady played outdoors? On grass! Much more difficult to time routes.

16 of Andrews first 22 wins were against below average to bad teams and he had to come from behind in the 4th Q to win i`m sure half or more of them.

If you watched all of those first 22, you saw many of those wins were because those bad teams did stupid stuff and just gave the games away. We didn`t play well at all. Andrew completed under 50% of his passes 4 of the last 5 games of his rookie season and only 50% in the other. Barf! He did run a lot.

Getting hit? Bet he leads the league for several more years... the guy to often has to wait for his receivers to come out of their break, STILL!

We ALL Agree he will be fine, some here are just Pom Pom waving blind Homers, and some here like to talk FOOTBALL.

It's called GROWTH and EXPERIENCE!!! I'm amazed how people pick at his game instead of appreciating it. They showed a couple of stats on espn and as amazing as Tom Brady started his career through 41games Luck has ONE less win, the SAME amount of ints 36 but MORE tds and yds than Brady at the same point. His stats are BETTER than Peyton's when he started ESPECIALLY in ints and Luck's winning percentage is like FOURTH all time to start a career while taking the most hits with a subpar o-line (which has gotten better) to start his career. He's had two oc's and started with a rookie hc ALL while REPLACING the GOAT who by the way is STILL playing at a very HIGH level yet Luck leads the league in most stats now! I think Andrew will be just fine..... :violin:

He's been great for a new player, but again people get caught up way too much on stats. This is a different league than it was in the early 2000's, so it's not a surprise that people are coming in and throwing up bigger numbers now than 10+ years ago. Especially considering the weapons some if these young qbs like Luck have lucked into and in his case is on artificial turf in a dome where the game speed is just a notch higher and typically results in offenses going for more of an aerial attack.

Luck is really good though, would probably be one of my favorite players if he wasn't on the Colts, but they tanked a season fair and square to get him

He's been great for a new player, but again people get caught up way too much on stats. This is a different league than it was in the early 2000's, so it's not a surprise that people are coming in and throwing up bigger numbers now than 10+ years ago. Especially considering the weapons some if these young qbs like Luck have lucked into and in his case is on artificial turf in a dome where the game speed is just a notch higher and typically results in offenses going for more of an aerial attack.

Luck is really good though, would probably be one of my favorite players if he wasn't on the Colts, but they tanked a season fair and square to get him

No they didn't. Stop it.

And on stats, there are a whole lot of quarterbacks in the league right now who aren't producing the way Luck is. It's not just about the rules and the changes to the league. He's producing because he's a really good QB.

on the safety, he doesn't even have to roll out of the endzone does he?  I thought all he'd have needed to do was get the ball, even just the tip, out of the endzone.  He also had boom herron right beside him.  if he simply flicks the ball at Boom's feet then it's simply an incomplete pass.  now as superman said, Luck had to digest that all in a matter of about one second.

I do think Luck was still locking on to Hilton and Wayne during the first 2 games this year to some degree, but haven't seen him doing it since then.  

Yes, he's a 3rd year QB and for a 3rd year QB he's damn near amazing, but that doesn't mean there aren't things he can improve on, which is obviously how the coaches feel hence the article.

To the bolded, that's what I thought. I thought it was similar to the illegal forward pass rule, where the QB's entire body has to be across the line of scrimmage for it to be a penalty. But it's the opposite with a safety. His entire body has to be out of the end zone for the grounding to not be a safety.

And yeah, Luck has to know that exactly, and know whether his entire body is out of the end zone, as he decides what to do. Split second decision where he didn't have time to weigh all the pros and cons. 

I know Luck makes some bad decisions every now and then. I'm inclined to ignore that one, given the circumstances.

No they didn't. Stop it.

And on stats, there are a whole lot of quarterbacks in the league right now who aren't producing the way Luck is. It's not just about the rules and the changes to the league. He's producing because he's a really good QB.

He is a good QB and it's one of those things where h if he cuts down on his mental mistakes he may actually throw for fewer yards.

Luck still has things to learn. Third year and he is putting up MVP type numbers. I'll take it. He has a bit of Favre in him at times but also he is just still learning.

Hes a once every 10 year or so talent.. there was a reason he was being talked about 2 years before he was even eligible for the draft ha..

He doesn't have Mannings experience yet but he's going to be around for another 15+ years and will only get better.

9 interceptions isn't bad for a 3rd year QB who is asked to throw as much as him. It certainly doesn't hurt that he has all of that talent around him either.

Hes a once every 10 year or so talent.. there was a reason he was being talked about 2 years before he was even eligible for the draft ha..

He doesn't have Mannings experience yet but he's going to be around for another 15+ years and will only get better.

9 interceptions isn't bad for a 3rd year QB who is asked to throw as much as him. It certainly doesn't hurt that he has all of that talent around him either.

Yes, agree with this. His all around game is better than Manning's. We will see if he can take that and produce anywhere near the level of success Manning has enjoyed. I think he can and will.

To the bolded, that's what I thought. I thought it was similar to the illegal forward pass rule, where the QB's entire body has to be across the line of scrimmage for it to be a penalty. But it's the opposite with a safety. His entire body has to be out of the end zone for the grounding to not be a safety.

And yeah, Luck has to know that exactly, and know whether his entire body is out of the end zone, as he decides what to do. Split second decision where he didn't have time to weigh all the pros and cons. 

I know Luck makes some bad decisions every now and then. I'm inclined to ignore that one, given the circumstances.

ok, now is that because of the way he threw the pass and the fact it was ruled grounding, or in general, the entire body has to be out of the endzone?  in general terms, i didn't think the body actually mattered at all but rather the ball.  for example, if instead of throwing it, he'd simply leaned forward and touched the ball on the ground out of the endzone, even with his body in the endzone or partially in the endzone, would that have still been a safety?  

either way, this is all just for clarification.  as for that particular play, I do agree that it was rough circumstances, though still the fact he just chucked the ball up for grabs the way he did is more of a concern than the safety itself.

Tripping isn't a mental mistake but throwing the ball while laying on his back in the endzone certainly is one.

Why?

He's a competitor, and we were still in the game, and he's going to try to keep his team in it.

The only reason we're talking about this is he fell straight on his bum, getting up or any movement becomes very difficult. if he had fallen on his side or stomach, you can bet a million dollars he would've squirmed just past the line of scrimmage.

Last point I have, why weren't we in shotgun on that snap? Obvious passing down because the steelers' front was going to be coming hard to get the safety, and had we handed it off, it MOST LIKELY would've been a safety anyway.

Bad playcalling put him in a position to fail, but Andrew clearly doesn't feel like he has the autonomy to change the play at the line like Peyton did, but that will come.

Why?

He's a competitor, and we were still in the game, and he's going to try to keep his team in it.

Why? because he threw the ball up literally for grabs.  He wasn't throwing it to a receiver. He was most likely trying to throw it away out of bounds but the ball didn't make it that far.  Had a defender been in the area, that's an easy TD for the defense. 

Bad playcalling put him in a position to fail, but Andrew clearly doesn't feel like he has the autonomy to change the play at the line like Peyton did, but that will come.

lmao...really?  seriously?  have you been sipping TKnight's special apple juice?  Luck has been changing plays all season long.  For all we know, Pep could have called a run and Luck audibled INTO the play they ran.  Let's not revive the Pep Hamilton witch hunt, K?   ;)

Maybe it was somebody else that was wide open. I just remember somebody being wide open for that last pass and Luck didn't see it and threw to wayne.

No one was wide open. TY looked to get open but the ball was already in the air to Wayne. Plus, Luck prob figured attacking a rookie CB was better than attacking Talib.

ok, now is that because of the way he threw the pass and the fact it was ruled grounding, or in general, the entire body has to be out of the endzone?  in general terms, i didn't think the body actually mattered at all but rather the ball.  for example, if instead of throwing it, he'd simply leaned forward and touched the ball on the ground out of the endzone, even with his body in the endzone or partially in the endzone, would that have still been a safety?  

either way, this is all just for clarification.  as for that particular play, I do agree that it was rough circumstances, though still the fact he just chucked the ball up for grabs the way he did is more of a concern than the safety itself.

It's because it was grounding in the end zone. The QB's body has to be completely out of the end zone, or else it's a safety. That's the explanation Dean Blandino gave.

The way he threw the ball, I don't know but he might have knows that the ball wasn't going to be caught. Still wasn't smart.

It's because it was grounding in the end zone. The QB's body has to be completely out of the end zone, or else it's a safety. That's the explanation Dean Blandino gave.

The way he threw the ball, I don't know but he might have knows that the ball wasn't going to be caught. Still wasn't smart.

Gotcha and that makes sense. Thanks for the 411 :)

Definitely. More Brett Farve than Manning for sure.

As a person living in WI who saw how Brett Favre's recklessness throwing into double coverage literally cost the Packers additional SB appearances, please never associate Favre & Luck in the same sentence. Thank you.

If it's a comparison between Manning & Favre, I will take #18 blindfolded over #4 every darn time. No, I am not kidding either. 

Luck does make some mistakes, stares down QBs and makes some head shaking errand throws but so does every QB. I've seen Manning make some terrible decisions this year also, near interceptions ect.

Every QB does it, there are definitely things to correct and I'm sure Luck knows that, but at the same time Luck is under more durress than almost any QB I've ever seen. In a pass happy offense with an OL which can't really pass protect adequately, you will see mistakes and always continue to see mistakes until Luck cuts down the mental mistakes AND this OL learns to consistantly pass block.