Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We missed Reggie...

cmgww

Overlooked a bit was Reggie not playing. Without him, Pittsburgh didn't have to dedicate a man to cover him. I know he is slowing a bit, but he's the wily vet that always seems to get open. Nicks wasn't doing anything and they knew it. Let's hope he's back next week and stays healthy. And in the meantime, get Moncrief more involved bc Reggie has 1-2 years left tops

Overlooked a bit was Reggie not playing. Without him, Pittsburgh didn't have to dedicate a man to cover him. I know he is slowing a bit, but he's the wily vet that always seems to get open. Nicks wasn't doing anything and they knew it. Let's hope he's back next week and stays healthy. And in the meantime, get Moncrief more involved bc Reggie has 1-2 years left tops

We could have blitzed him from all over the field would have really confused Ben.....we scored points they got 50

I don't think it is the scoring of points. It is how we scored them. When the blitzes came in fast, experienced wide outs know when to turn around and look for the ball just a tad quicker, which I was disappointed Nicks did not have a good awareness of (and a bunch of others too). So, our time of possession advantage and tempo control advantage that we had all year long had to go out the window, it became a boom-or-bust offensive display from us. You will have a few big plays and a stretch of them at times or quick 3 and outs and/or a turnover. With Reggie, you can choose to go down the field methodically too.

Experienced wide outs like Reggie help us preserve the happy medium which settles down the offense, the QB and contributes to tempo control more than we are willing to admit. One more year as a possession wide out is what I see in Reggie.

Moncrief filled in nicely for Reggie. One might even say that it was an upgrade from a "stretch the field" standpoint.

Reggie would be big on 3rd down. He's Luck's go-to guy on 3rd. So to that end, yes, we did miss Reggie. On one late-game 3rd down, Moncrief almost screwed up huge, when he went laterally trying to make a big play instead of simply falling forward to guarantee the 1st down. We got a favorable spot, or else we would've been forced into a 4th down conversion. 

Every single man that was out, it had a huge impact on the game. So for all these "It wouldn't make a difference" posts, I say "bull  pies". This game was at an 8 point differential with 9 minutes left. Maybe Reggie gets open on 1st down after the fumble recovery and we never have that 'butt-safety'? 

Maybe with Reggie in, Luck doesn't force the pick 6 to Nicks, keeping us out of chase mode so quickly. Maybe with Reggie playing, Moncrief doesn't get in the game that much so we lose those explosive plays. Who knows? What we do know is we put up 34 points without him and our defense didn't show up so I highly doubt his presence changes the outcome.

I do think it mattered a bit. Our offense runs more efficiently with Reggie in there, bc his experience can't be made up with raw talent. He's a difference maker. For all the defense gave up, a few more long drives sustained by Luck/Reggie on 3rd down, that keeps the Steelers off the field. And Richardson being out hurt too, he's a solid pass protector. But i am playing the coulda woulda shoulda game. We lost. That's that.

More Reggie and moncrief and less Nicks.

And I'll be happy.

I feel that it wouldn't have made a difference if Reggie was out there or not.

we scored 34 points without reggie

400 passing yards, 3 passing touchdowns. I love Reggie as much as the next man but if there was one of our absentees who I could bring back for a do-over of this game it wouldn't be him.

Moncrief filled in nicely for Reggie. One might even say that it was an upgrade from a "stretch the field" standpoint.

I don't think it is the scoring of points. It is how we scored them. When the blitzes came in fast, experienced wide outs know when to turn around and look for the ball just a tad quicker, which I was disappointed Nicks did not have a good awareness of (and a bunch of others too). So, our time of possession advantage and tempo control advantage that we had all year long had to go out the window, it became a boom-or-bust offensive display from us. You will have a few big plays and a stretch of them at times or quick 3 and outs and/or a turnover. With Reggie, you can choose to go down the field methodically too.

Experienced wide outs like Reggie help us preserve the happy medium which settles down the offense, the QB and contributes to tempo control more than we are willing to admit. One more year as a possession wide out is what I see in Reggie.

Agreed, the way Pittsburgh was playing wouldn't have mattered at all. Luck barely had time to find anyone else.

Maybe with Reggie in, Luck doesn't force the pick 6 to Nicks, keeping us out of chase mode so quickly. Maybe with Reggie playing, Moncrief doesn't get in the game that much so we lose those explosive plays. Who knows? What we do know is we put up 34 points without him and our defense didn't show up so I highly doubt his presence changes the outcome.

Yes, the chemistry Reggie and Luck have is great.  It is clear Luck doesn't have that with Nicks or Moncrief yet and I think he's just starting to come into his own with TY.

It may not have changed the outcome of the game, but Reggie knows how to find space quickly and Luck knows how to find him there  -- if nothing else, it might have kept Luck more upright and helped keep our defense off the field (Wayne is a 3rd down converting machine).  It was good to see Moncrief has potential as a vertical threat, but that wasn't helping keep Luck up with the pressure he was getting.  Hopefully that game will serve as a break-out for Moncrief and we can have a guy who Luck can rely  on for the short/quick passes to be in open space in Wayne, which should make TY even more dangerous if teams are forced to worry about another vertical or outside threat in Moncrief.  I don't think Nicks is as bad as some on here claim him to be, but he certainly hasn't done anything to put fear into the opposing defenses at this point -- another week like that for Moncrief and teams will be forced to respect him, which should make life easier on TY, Wayne and our TEs -- and ultimately Luck.

Not saying I agree or disagree, but what makes you think that?

He's like a lineman in the backfield could have really used his blocking skills  . Our passing game was pretty successful overall Hilton and Moncrief both looked like studs even Whalen made a few plays .

I am sure the Colts did miss Reggie because who doesn't miss a future hall of famer?  I don't think he was the difference in the game though.  Frankly other than two or three plays the offense wasn't the issue.  Luck threw for 400 yards and Moncrief and Hilton more than made up for the production the Colts would normally get from Reggie.