Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who do you root for?

SteelCityColt

So as the Colts aren't playing this Sunday after a typical heart in the mouth win I thought I'd ask my fellow posters what games will you be watching this Sunday and who will you be rooting for?

Traditionally I've watched either the best match up, one of the other teams I enjoy to watch or if a divisional rival is playing maybe them and in general I'll root for one team or the other, even if it's only slightly. It got me thinking should I be more calculating in whom I root for in terms of what result would be most beneficial to the Colts. I ended up starting to jot down some criteria and I'd like to get them sanity checked by some other people. So:

NFC vs NFC - Whoever I like most, doesn't matter!

AFC vs NFC - NFC team

AFC vs AFC (Non Divisional, no AFC South team) - Team with the worst record so far (peg back a potential seeding rival?)

AFC vs AFC (Non Divisional, AFC South Rival playing) - The non AFC South team

AFC vs AFC (Divisional) - Again the team with the worst record

Of course as the season draws to a close there will be situations that will go against the above but as a general rule of thumb is my understanding correct?

As a side note the teams outside of the Colts I tend to root for in neutral games are the 49ers (friend is a fan), the Broncos ( :manning: ) and currently the Cardinals.

I tend to watch games, where my favorite non-Colt players are in...also, my fantasy league players as well. This week, I will be rooting for the Black Mamba, De'Anthony Thomas playing for the Chiefs, The Bengals, to see how they do without AJ Green..( i love watching Green play..Alfred Morris, to see if he can get anything against a good defense, Kirk Cousins intrigues me. I'll watch as much as I can of the Saints, trying to figure out what is wrong with them this year..I've given up on the Vikings, because of Peterson's legal troubles, and Patterson not getting any looks...I really thought Patterson was going to become a lot better this year, but without Peterson, he's disappeared off the planet.

When the Bears O is clicking, its a thing of beauty to watch Marshall and Jeffery tear up the defenses...I love watching game breakers on D like JJ Watt, and Luke Keuchly (sp)...and i pray to see a game without 15 million penalties...And of course, I love watching Peyton still produce like he always does..It will be a long time until we see another Peyton..(No disrespect to our Mr. Luck)

Good thing I have direct TV..lol

I root for whoever can give Denver, New England, and the San Diego Chargers a loss.

Me too, but minus the Chargers. Rivers is one of my favorite players. I would like to see him win a Super Bowl. But yes, I root for any team to beat the Pats, Broncos, Cowboys, and Packers. Bears too.

if you are not a colt, i hope you fail miserably. just looking for advantages for the shoe

yes i foolishly hope the jets beat the broncos :)

My heart tells me Peyton, my head tells me they need to lose to help us in case we meet in the postseason. My head also tells me the Jets are a dumpster fire. 

My heart tells me Peyton, my head tells me they need to lose to help us in case we meet in the postseason. My head also tells me the Jets are a dumpster fire. 

yep. i wanted peyton to win the SB last year only because it had no bearing on the colts. i would have wanted them eliminated earlier if we were still contending

over a longer period of time, the raiders are the most disfunctional team in the league. but at this very moment, it's the J E S T

On the NFC side I pull for the Bears (the team I've followed all my life growing up in north central Indiana in the 60s and 70s).

On the AFC side I pull for the Colts (since late 80s -- visiting family in Indiana I'd go to Hoosier dome every year with my brother -- became a big Colts fan overtaking Bears in early 90s)

The rest in order:

1) Root for a team to lose that will give the Colts a better playoff seeding or chance at playoffs.

2) Root for a team to lose that will give the Bears a better playoff seeding or chance at playoffs.

3) Yes, I'll root for Peyton if it doesn't effect #1 or #2 in a significant way (Broncos #2 seed Colts #1 seed would be ideal).

4) Root for outcomes that will improve Bears/Colts draft positions or any other draft scenario I'd like to see.

5) I'll root for players.  I'll root for emerging/exciting classy players (rookies, for example).  I'll root against classless players.

- In a Bears/Colts matchup I pull heavily for the Colts.

- I played fantasy football from 1991-2000 -- <brag> retired undefeated  </brag>.  I'm done with that so it doesn't come into play at all anymore when I watch games.

- I've followed the NFL draft heavily since 1989 and there is draft influence when I watch game. <evil> I was pulling for Washington to lose last year so the traded RGIII pick would be high </evil>

Given all those factors I can usually find a reason to pull for one team over another in about any game.

So as the Colts aren't playing this Sunday after a typical heart in the mouth win I thought I'd ask my fellow posters what games will you be watching this Sunday and who will you be rooting for?

Traditionally I've watched either the best match up, one of the other teams I enjoy to watch or if a divisional rival is playing maybe them and in general I'll root for one team or the other, even if it's only slightly. It got me thinking should I be more calculating in whom I root for in terms of what result would be most beneficial to the Colts. I ended up starting to jot down some criteria and I'd like to get them sanity checked by some other people. So:

NFC vs NFC - Whoever I like most, doesn't matter!

AFC vs NFC - NFC team

AFC vs AFC (Non Divisional, no AFC South team) - Team with the worst record so far (peg back a potential seeding rival?)

AFC vs AFC (Non Divisional, AFC South Rival playing) - The non AFC South team

AFC vs AFC (Divisional) - Again the team with the worst record

Of course as the season draws to a close there will be situations that will go against the above but as a general rule of thumb is my understanding correct?

As a side note the teams outside of the Colts I tend to root for in neutral games are the 49ers (friend is a fan), the Broncos ( :manning: ) and currently the Cardinals.

I like the Broncos, Detroit and San Diego (the ex-Colt factors do have some weight there)

I bear down with the Bears (who are often unbearable) I like Green Bay and I like the Oakland Raiders, the greatest organization in the National Football League!! (in the 1970s and 80s)

My fantasy team. :)

I don't dislike any teams in the NFL, so I don't care who wins or loses, really. Although I don't mind seeing the Patriots lose. I would root against divisional opponents, but we already took care of Houston, and the Titans and Jags are too pitiful to root against; I actually want to see both of those teams do well. 

Seeing teams we have previously beaten play well is encouraging, because it says something about how we matchup with other teams around the league. Like now, the Ravens have 5 TDs in the first 16 minutes, when they could hardly move the ball against us. Says something about our defense (or maybe it's more about Tampa's defense, but still). 

I admit, I root for the Broncos. I'd also like to see the Bills do well, just because they have a new owner and he and his family seem like good people...

But really, it's just Red Zone channel. Then I'll rewatch some of these games during the week. I might watch the Bengals game, for instance, since we're playing them next week.

I root for Peyton (except when he's playing the Colts)

I like to see Green Bay win (except when they're playing the Colts or Peyton) because I have lots of family who are Packer fans

Other than that, it all just turns into hoping for whatever helps us the most, rooting for the underdog, hoping New England and Seattle and New Orleans lose every game they play ever, and pulling for individual players to do well.