Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something I've noticed about Luck's accuracy and velocity

1yrdandacloudofdust

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is real.

At times, usually when he's under center, he tends to bend his legs more while standing in the pocket. Basically his legs are further apart and hes kind of crouching while in the pocket. I think this makes him throw high. When he's in shotgun, he naturally doesnt bend as much and he's able to throw lasers. Like the 28yrd pass to allen on 2nd and 20. That was a beautiful throw.

As i posted in pre-season, he sets up wide and plays shorter than 6'4".

I can't tell from those pics if he was in the shotgun or under center but what i can tell is he has a nice pocket to spey into and deliver the ball. Except for the delayed blitzed when luck got plowed and the ball was picked he had pretty good protection all day. I think the offensive line is coming together (even with Shipley not being in there) and will be good down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I noticed issues with Luck at Stanford that never showed up on scouting reports. Besides, I never said I agreed or disagreed with the OP...I merely pointed out that this at least appeared to be a legit attempt at a discussion point as opposed to some of the other threads he's started.

O believe thos has an effect on his deep ball @ times. There was an excellent article breaking down his footwork, and itvwas blamed for him coming up short on deep passes. His arm is obviously strong enough, but at times I dont think he gets his body into throws. But he doea in shotgun.

So let's do a little quick test to see if it's as easily notifiable as you think.. 5 pictures from yesterdays game, all just before delivery (which as I understand your point to be, that his feet are set differently?). See if you can tell me which are under center and which were from the shotgun. I've pretty much just picked 5 passing plays at random so there's no trick here just a quick experiment.

No.1

33auqle.jpg

No.2

2d0c40y.jpg

No.3

2em0xhe.jpg

No.4

14wd1k8.jpg

No.5

517no6.jpg

How did u get these? 3 and 5 look perfect to me. I believe he's more accurate and has more velocity throwing from that stance.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Vader is testing water on the planet of Manaan to make sure there are not midichlorians naturally occurring in it. With Manaan being the galaxy's only source of kolto, if the Selkath were to gain the power of the force thy could take down the entire galactic empire on their own. 

And that's our Star Wars lesson for today.

I thought that I was a Star Wars nerd.  I bow to the fullness of your geekitude, sir.

And regarding the rest of this thread...

8081607.gif

This is real.

At times, usually when he's under center, he tends to bend his legs more while standing in the pocket. Basically his legs are further apart and hes kind of crouching while in the pocket. I think this makes him throw high. When he's in shotgun, he naturally doesnt bend as much and he's able to throw lasers. Like the 28yrd pass to allen on 2nd and 20. That was a beautiful throw.

People are dragging you because you usually post garbage... But in this case I actually agree and it's something that's bothered me for years.

He does tend to spread his legs beyond his shoulders which widens his base and probably does affect his velocity and accuracy. (Try throwing with your feet extended beyond your shoulders and you'll notice how much velocity you lose and how often the ball comes out high.) Seems like he does most when he climbs up in the pocket. I've never noticed the shoot gun vs under center difference.

People are dragging you because you usually post garbage... But in this case I actually agree and it's something that's bothered me for years.

He does tend to spread his legs beyond his shoulders which widens his base and probably does affect his velocity and accuracy. (Try throwing with your feet extended beyond your shoulders and you'll notice how much velocity you lose and how often the ball comes out high.) Seems like he does most when he climbs up in the pocket. I've never noticed the shoot gun vs under center difference.

Wide base, those were the words I was looking for. Thanks

Lol, no.

Luck's footwork absolutely superb, better than some vets. His stance, drop backs, throwing motion, pocket presence. His mechanics are all outstanding, this is why scouts gushed over him before he even got drafted.

His main problem is the other side of things. Decision making (he needs to learn when to give up on certain plays--he's getting there but not quite), going through progressions properly, and touch. One thing I noticed is that he has the "Young John Elway Syndrome" (is what I like to call it) where he puts a bit too much zip or push on the ball and it sails past a guy. Elway eventually learned how to apply more touch to his throws, and that cannon he was known for early on learned that the proper balance of power and accuracy is the way to go. You gotta let it glide gracefully sometimes.

Luck has had some AMAZING throws, don't get me wrong, but there is room for more consistency. Peyton probably has the best touch in football right now. The balls he throws literally fall into the hands of receivers, and he throws a better fade than any other QB that has ever played (yeah I said it). But a guy his age and his condition needs to really on accuracy more than anything, Luck is still very young and has time to fine tune and excel on all fronts. I believe that he will.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Vader is testing water on the planet of Manaan to make sure there are not midichlorians naturally occurring in it. With Manaan being the galaxy's only source of kolto, if the Selkath were to gain the power of the force thy could take down the entire galactic empire on their own. 

And that's our Star Wars lesson for today.

ackbar_2.jpg

or he had the move around. If he has to move, he'll stand upright to deliver the ball.

Ok, being quite serious, I think I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at now. Before you said he had a marked difference between center and shotgun snaps now we're introducing the idea of being moved off the spot. If you're going to go down to that level then there will be times that he will had bad footwork from circumstance on a play by play basis. If that makes sense?

So let's do a little quick test to see if it's as easily notifiable as you think.. 5 pictures from yesterdays game, all just before delivery (which as I understand your point to be, that his feet are set differently?). See if you can tell me which are under center and which were from the shotgun. I've pretty much just picked 5 passing plays at random so there's no trick here just a quick experiment. 

No.1 

33auqle.jpg

No.2

2d0c40y.jpg

No.3 

2em0xhe.jpg

No.4 

14wd1k8.jpg

No.5

517no6.jpg

ooooh oooh fun!!!  I wanna try!!!

I say 1 and 2 he was under center.   3, 4, and 5 were shotgun snaps

Ok, being quite serious, I think I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at now. Before you said he had a marked difference between center and shotgun snaps now we're introducing the idea of being moved off the spot. If you're going to go down to that level then there will be times that he will had bad footwork from circumstance on a play by play basis. If that makes sense?

I don't know, Im kimda confused now. 1 is ridiculous though. I feel like his ball kinda floats on him from that stance

Keep up the good work on noticing stuff like that.  I noticed it too, it looks like he bends his knees an extra 0.73894° when coming out of his backpeddle and his passer rating is only 43.2 when he crouches like that. 

This is the kind of stuff I come to this forum to read... completely made up nonsensical stuff from a self proclaimed best GM in football.  Keep up the good work.

Dude, this guy really knows what he is talking about lol

I definitely think we need to scrap this team ASAP.  Trade Luck, Fire Chuck, Can Grigson, and bring back Harnish..  I mean why did we ever get rid of him?  He has a perfect form, just like when he blasted Pam Oliver on the side of the face.  Me and 1yard have the perfect eye for talent :)

Ha for the sake of completeness....

1. Shotgun 

2. Under Center

3. Shotgun

4. Under Center

5. Under Center 

Next week guess whether it was a fumble or not from Bradshaw's towel position... 

So, contrary to the OP, his lowest throwing position was actually out of shotgun...

I don't know, Im kimda confused now. 1 is ridiculous though. I feel like his ball kinda floats on him from that stance

So, contrary to the OP, his lowest throwing position was actually out of shotgun...

In fairness to the OP I think even he gave up on trying to understand what this was all about...