Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something I've noticed about Luck's accuracy and velocity

1yrdandacloudofdust

This is real.

At times, usually when he's under center, he tends to bend his legs more while standing in the pocket. Basically his legs are further apart and hes kind of crouching while in the pocket. I think this makes him throw high. When he's in shotgun, he naturally doesnt bend as much and he's able to throw lasers. Like the 28yrd pass to allen on 2nd and 20. That was a beautiful throw.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the snap it doesn't matter. The pocket is formed and he is going through his motions. Shotgun he gets the ball and gets in his position. Under center, of course he is crouched, he gets the ball and drops back. He is no longer crouched.

Idk what you're trying to say, but I'm not sure you are either.

Oh wait sorry. Just realized its the troll. Sorry I fed him.

Yeah if you could maybe show us some pictures of what you mean? Are you saying he's bending his legs after the balls is snapped and he's dropped back 3,5,7 steps because that really shouldn't differ to receiving the ball in shotgun.

Yes, he crouches more after dropping back from center. He stands more upright dropping back in shotgun. Basically, I believe he's a different qb, a better qb when he doesn't crouch so far and throws from that position.

Yes, he crouches more after dropping back from center. He stands more upright dropping back in shotgun. Basically, I believe he's a different qb, a better qb when he doesn't crouch so far and throws from that position.

So you're suggesting he has a different delivery position from taking a snap from under centre and dropping back, compared to receiving the ball in shotgun?

I'd like to see some pics on that... 

This is real.

At times, usually when he's under center, he tends to bend his legs more while standing in the pocket. Basically his legs are further apart and hes kind of crouching while in the pocket. I think this makes him throw high. When he's in shotgun, he naturally doesnt bend as much and he's able to throw lasers. Like the 28yrd pass to allen on 2nd and 20. That was a beautiful throw.

Keep up the good work on noticing stuff like that.  I noticed it too, it looks like he bends his knees an extra 0.73894° when coming out of his backpeddle and his passer rating is only 43.2 when he crouches like that. 

This is the kind of stuff I come to this forum to read... completely made up nonsensical stuff from a self proclaimed best GM in football.  Keep up the good work.

So you're suggesting he has a different delivery position from taking a snap from under centre and dropping back, compared to receiving the ball in shotgun?

I'd like to see some pics on that...

His feet is the difference. Im looking for pics, but cant find them. Its better to watch video. Just look @ how tall he stood when he hit Allen on that 28yrder.

This is a positive thread, but people are trying their hardest to bring in negativity

I know I'm going to hate myself for this later, but what the hell....this actually seems like an attempt at a legitimate observation by the OP as opposed to the 98% of other threads he's started.  I also am thinking the responses might be punishing the OP for previous nonsense that he's posted.  To the OP, I can only say that you did kind of bring that on yourself.  To others, maybe try grading this thread individually and not in conjunction with his previous posts/threads?

But I reiterate my first sentence...I'm sure I'm going to wind up regretting this post. lol

I know I'm going to hate myself for this later, but what the hell....this actually seems like an attempt at a legitimate observation by the OP as opposed to the 98% of other threads he's started.  I also am thinking the responses might be punishing the OP for previous nonsense that he's posted.  To the OP, I can only say that you did kind of bring that on yourself.  To others, maybe try grading this thread individually and not in conjunction with his previous posts/threads?

But I reiterate my first sentence...I'm sure I'm going to wind up regretting this post. lol

Fair is fair but I think if you're going to break down a players technique you need some form of visual aid to demonstrate your point. If I don't fall asleep later (why did I watch the Pats Bengals game last night?!), I might try looking at Gamepass to see if I can notice a difference. 

Fair is fair but I think if you're going to break down a players technique you need some form of visual aid to demonstrate your point. If I don't fall asleep later (why did I watch the Pats Bengals game last night?!), I might try looking at Gamepass to see if I can notice a difference. 

I definitely get that, but at the same time, maybe he was just trying to see if anyone else noticed before going through that trouble?  IDK...what can I say? I make a living playing the devil's advocate. lol

I actually think someone brought this, or something similar up last season. 

There was definitely a discussion on Luck's mechanics at one point last year. I want to say it had something to do with how far apart his feet are when he throws and how it makes him lower than he really is. 

I know I'm going to hate myself for this later, but what the hell....this actually seems like an attempt at a legitimate observation by the OP as opposed to the 98% of other threads he's started. I also am thinking the responses might be punishing the OP for previous nonsense that he's posted. To the OP, I can only say that you did kind of bring that on yourself. To others, maybe try grading this thread individually and not in conjunction with his previous posts/threads?

Please tell me there is no way you believe any of this? That kind of thing is something that would have been picked up on scouting reports.

Please tell me there is no way you believe any of this? That kind of thing is something that would have been picked up on scouting reports.

I noticed issues with Luck at Stanford that never showed up on scouting reports.  Besides, I never said I agreed or disagreed with the OP...I merely pointed out that this at least appeared to be a legit attempt at a discussion point as opposed to some of the other threads he's started.

Hey look, I have a computer in my mom's basement....I can post complete nonsense on the interwebz!

sense-this-picture-makes-none.jpg

Actually it makes perfect sense. Vader is testing water on the planet of Manaan to make sure there are not midichlorians naturally occurring in it. With Manaan being the galaxy's only source of kolto, if the Selkath were to gain the power of the force thy could take down the entire galactic empire on their own. 

And that's our Star Wars lesson for today.

This is real.

This is a pointless post in a pointless thread.

I agree.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Vader is testing water on the planet of Manaan to make sure there are not midichlorians naturally occurring in it. With Manaan being the galaxy's only source of kolto, if the Selkath were to gain the power of the force thy could take down the entire galactic empire on their own. 

And that's our Star Wars lesson for today.

Not if you poison that gigantic shark/thing driving all the Selkath crazy...

Also, your timeline is wrong!

In related news, I may be WAY too much of a nerd...

His feet is the difference. Im looking for pics, but cant find them. Its better to watch video. Just look @ how tall he stood when he hit Allen on that 28yrder.

This is a positive thread, but people are trying their hardest to bring in negativity

This is a positive thead?      I don't even think you know when it is you're making a positive or a negative.   So, I'll explain it to you.

If you're posting,  it's negative.

If you're not,   it's positive.

How the QB's legs are when he's crouching under center has little impact on what his release point is once he's dropped back to pass and decided he's going to throw.

You're trying way to hard to say something important and you're failing every time.   

The more you post the more this is embarrassing.

Hahaha, you know your a troll when you have to start a serious post by saying "this is real" then get shot down by 80% of posters not because of the post but because we all know your a troll

If he is a troll why is he here still? Since everyone knows he breaks the rules why has he yet to have been banned? Makes zero sense.

This is real.

So let's do a little quick test to see if it's as easily notifiable as you think.. 5 pictures from yesterdays game, all just before delivery (which as I understand your point to be, that his feet are set differently?). See if you can tell me which are under center and which were from the shotgun. I've pretty much just picked 5 passing plays at random so there's no trick here just a quick experiment. 

No.1 

33auqle.jpg

No.2

2d0c40y.jpg

No.3 

2em0xhe.jpg

No.4 

14wd1k8.jpg

No.5

517no6.jpg

People are trying to bring negativity? From 90% of your post it's like calling the pot black. I cant think of any other member of these forums that brings more negative post than you. I couldn't care less if Luck does back flips in the backfield if he gets his job done. He is leading the NFL in quite a few stats so I guess he will have to do. Is it possible for you to have any positive comments?

Where can you find split stats for under center and shotgun?

Ask and you shall receive. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus-shotgun/

From last year.  Luck's Qb rating was just about equal but according to PFF his completion percentage, accuracy percentage and PFF grade was significantly higher in the shotgun.

The article did not speculate if the additional crouchiness was the reason.

So let's do a little quick test to see if it's as easily notifiable as you think.. 5 pictures from yesterdays game, all just before delivery (which as I understand your point to be, that his feet are set differently?). See if you can tell me which are under center and which were from the shotgun. I've pretty much just picked 5 passing plays at random so there's no trick here just a quick experiment. 

No.1 

33auqle.jpg

No.2

2d0c40y.jpg

No.3 

2em0xhe.jpg

No.4 

14wd1k8.jpg

No.5

517no6.jpg

There are no pictures.

Ask and you shall receive. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus-shotgun/

From last year. Luck's Qb rating was just about equal but according to PFF his completion percentage, accuracy percentage and PFF grade was significantly higher in the shotgun.

The article did not speculate if the additional crouchiness was the reason.

pfff what kind of reputable site doesn't speculate whether or not excessive crouchiness is or is not a factor