Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Double hit on Luck?

Dudley Smith

My apologies if this was posted at some point yesterday but I don't remember seeing it. I take it nothing came out of the double hit to Luck where he scrambled for a 1st down and then got sandwiched between two Raven defenders at the same time? It looked like there was helmet to helmet and Luck had trouble getting up immediately, had to be helped up by another Colts player, and even shook his head immediately after standing like he was seeing some stars. I believe it was sometime in the 3rd quarter, but I could be wrong. I was surprised the announcers didn't even make any mention of it. I just remember fearing him getting a concussion after I saw it.

I take it as a good sign we've heard nothing this morning.

More reason why Andrew has to learn to slide. He got hit in the head by a defenders leg when he was already on the ground from the guys pilling on him.

He knows how to slide, he's done it before.  But for some reason sometimes he chooses not to.  

In the above mentioned case he chose not to.  I can't remember if he was going for a first down or what.  

But I'm pretty sure every Colt fan breathed a collective sigh of relief when he got up . 

He knows how to slide, he's done it before.  But for some reason sometimes he chooses not to.  

In the above mentioned case he chose not to.  I can't remember if he was going for a first down or what.  

But I'm pretty sure every Colt fan breathed a collective sigh of relief when he got up .

his slides have been extremely bad when he's done them. He needs to work on it. This isn't breaking news to most people who follow the Colts. Phil B. even did a whole write up on how Luck needs to work on it.

his slides have been extremely bad when he's done them. He needs to work on it. This isn't breaking news to most people who follow the Colts. Phil B. even did a whole write up on how Luck needs to work on it.

Yes,  it is quite a scary site when he slides, if that's what you call it   :scratch:  ...   I cringe every time. :Gaah:

Mosley was at fault for the dirty hit on Luck that you speak of.

Did you see the hit on Mosley after he intercepted Luck later in the game? One of our lineman nearly took his head off during the return.

Karma at its best.

It wasn't a dirty hit by Mosely, it was a clean hit and later when he had the INT Louis tackled him and there wasn't anythign dirty or malicious in that, it was just a good, solid tackle.

Yea that hit scared the crap out of me, especially since he wasn't really responsive for a second or two. Glad he shook it off and got back in the game. He possibly had some concussion symptoms but he didn't stay down long to be deemed as necessary to be evaluated. 

Did you see the hit on Mosley after he intercepted Luck later in the game? One of our lineman nearly took his head off during the return.

Karma at its best.

I don't think that was a late or dirty hit by Moseley -- if the QB isn't sliding you have to go in for a hit.  Unfortunate that Luck took a big blow, but I don't think you can blame either Raven there -- Luck's gotta slide or stay up in that situation to protect his head.

Yeah his sliding needs working on, I think part of the issue is he is a little too selfless in trying to make sure he's made the FD etc.. look at the hits he took on the way into the endzone for this TD.

Say what you will though, he's one tough dude. 

U think he should have slid instead of getting the touchdown?

Yes,  it is quite a scary site when he slides, if that's what you call it   :scratch:  ...   I cringe every time. :Gaah:

I call it more of a roll than a slide.  I laughed the first few times I saw it, but it really concerns me each time i see it now.

Hopefully yesterday scared the coaches enough to take some time to really practice it so it's first nature for him.

We gotta protect our boy from himself!

He actually slid quite well late last season, but I think they were all on grass. According to Matt Hasselbeck sliding on turf is a lil trickier.

I call it more of a roll than a slide.  I laughed the first few times I saw it, but it really concerns me each time i see it now.

Hopefully yesterday scared the coaches enough to take some time to really practice it so it's first nature for him.

We gotta protect our boy from himself!

Going head first is fine, but if he is gonna do that he needs to get down sooner

My apologies if this was posted at some point yesterday but I don't remember seeing it. I take it nothing came out of the double hit to Luck where he scrambled for a 1st down and then got sandwiched between two Raven defenders at the same time? It looked like there was helmet to helmet and Luck had trouble getting up immediately, had to be helped up by another Colts player, and even shook his head immediately after standing like he was seeing some stars. I believe it was sometime in the 3rd quarter, but I could be wrong. I was surprised the announcers didn't even make any mention of it. I just remember fearing him getting a concussion after I saw it.

I take it as a good sign we've heard nothing this morning.

The commentators were too busy slobbering over the vaunted Baltimore defense to notice anything else going on but I digress because on that run as well as the td he took some tough shots & didn't miss a beat. Unlike my heat when he was a little slow to get up when the big dudes nailed him. Well one hit him while the other kind of fell toward him.

Karma at its best.

That was Lance Louis he tracked him and sandwiched him. It was my hit of the game.

The commentators were too busy slobbering over the vaunted Baltimore defense to notice anything else going on but I digress because on that run as well as the td he took some tough shots & didn't miss a beat. Unlike my heat when he was a little slow to get up when the big dudes nailed him. Well one hit him while the other kind of fell toward him.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who noticed they were acting like Raven homers when commentating on the game. The dude just kept saying things about the great Raven defense an I kept saying look at the score dude! With the offense making mistakes and turnovers the Colts defense played a great game by keeping the Ravens offense in check almost all of the game. If there was one game where the defense gets the game ball it should be this one.

Karma at its best.

That should have been called. Especially with all the new rules about protecting Quarterbacks that was a horrible miss call. The refs were just horrible all around yesterday.

That should have been called. Especially with all the new rules about protecting Quarterbacks that was a horrible miss call. The refs were just horrible all around yesterday.

NO, it shouldn't have been called.  They do protect QBs, by giving them the option to slide.  However if the QB chooses not to slide and instead dives head first then he's fair game.  The hit to the head was quite clearly, imo, not intentional or malicious at all.

NO, it shouldn't have been called. They do protect QBs, by giving them the option to slide. However if the QB chooses not to slide and instead dives head first then he's fair game. The hit to the head was quite clearly, imo, not intentional or malicious at all.

I don't think it was malicious but with how he rules rules are for protecting QBs that by rule should have been a call. Also a late hit to the head of any player should be called that was clearly late.

I don't think it was malicious but with how he rules rules are for protecting QBs that by rule should have been a call. Also a late hit to the head of any player should be called that was clearly late.

Luck would not have been "protected as a QB" in that situation because he chose to go head first instead of sliding.  Therefore he becomes a ball carrier and is no longer under the same protection he would be under if he were still in the pocket.