Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who are you calling out?

Mr.Debonair

Offensive coordinator.  We come out of the gates flat on offense far too often.  And we can blame it on execution or missing a play here and there.  That's partly true.  But we do it often enough that our play calling out of the gate needs to improve.  If we can make great second half adjustments, then we can game plan better than what we have been doing. 

You realize that Adams was on the street until we signed him late this summer.

That Gordy is our 4th corner.... and Purifoy is our 5th corner....

How often are we playing a defense where we've got the 4th or the 5th corner on the field?

When Adams signed is irrelevant. He's better suited to cover JT than either Landry or Jackson.

Gordy/Purifoy could be subbed in for a safety and used to cover JT.

I watch other defenses where they can keep games really close even though their offense isn't doing so well.

Why can't we do that? Do we not have a lot of talent? or is it Manusky to blame? 3rd and long we seem to always give up the first down.

That's a lie. There's not a single defense outside of maybe Seattle that can keep their team in the game until after haltime when their offense finally wakes up when playing against top tier offensive teams

:scorebad:

I'm calling this post out!!!!

That's a lie. There's not a single defense outside of maybe Seattle that can keep their team in the game until after haltime when their offense finally wakes up when playing against top tier offensive teams

Chargers vs Cardinals (last monday)

Giants vs Lions (last monday 7-14 by half time)

Redskins vs Houston 

Their offense was doing nothing in the first half and yet their defense prevent them from scoring.

I'm calling out Pep.  Get Nicks the ball man!!!!!

I'm calling out Pep. Get the running game going man!!!!

I'm calling out Pep. Get the play action going man!!!

I'm calling out Pep. Calm Andrew down and stop the forced throws. Take what is open and hit deep shots off the play action!!

I'm calling out Manusky. Get Dqwell out of that man coverage!!!!

I'm calling out the Secondary.  Don't get burnt by the Eagles and their tricks!!!

I'm calling out the Dline and Linebackers.  Get some pressure on Foles!!!

Shut Mcoy and Spoles down!!!

I'm calling out Trent and Ahmad.  Somebody get 100 yards rushing PLEASE!!!

I'm calling out the Defense and the Offense.  Don't let us have to come back from 24 points or more down again!!!!

Up until this year,  San Francisco's defense has been very good.   Good enough to keep their team in any game at any time.

This year is more problematic with Smith out due to legal issues and Bowman out due to severe injury...   and their corners may be questionable.

But up until this year,   SF's defense has been outstanding.

When Adams signed is irrelevant. He's better suited to cover JT than either Landry or Jackson.

Gordy/Purifoy could be subbed in for a safety and used to cover JT.

When Adams signed is an indication of what the NFL thinks of him and just how good he is.    It's a sign that expectations for him should be reasonable and realistic.

Gordy and Purifoy,  our 4th and 4th corners, suddenly are going to cover Julius Thomas?     I have no idea why you think they're more capable of that than any other defender we have.....?

I watch other defenses where they can keep games really close even though their offense isn't doing so well.  

Why can't we do that?  Do we not have a lot of talent? or is it Manusky to blame? 3rd and long we seem to always give up the first down.

This is not a very talented defense.   Because we have a franchise level quarterback,  Grigson has put most of his assets into building the offense first.

The defense....   while average....   is a work in progress.

When Adams signed is an indication of what the NFL thinks of him and just how good he is.    It's a sign that expectations for him should be reasonable and realistic.

Gordy and Purifoy,  our 4th and 4th corners, suddenly are going to cover Julius Thomas?     I have no idea why you think they're more capable of that than any other defender we have.....?

I don't know if the point is that they're better than "any other defender." I think the point is that they'd be better than D'Qwell Jackson and LaRon Landry, in particular. That, I agree with, at least when we're talking about Gordy. Haven't seen enough of Purifoy.

The problem with this proposal is that we would be taking a LB off the field in short situations. JT's TD against Landry was just a few yards out, and so was the one against Freeman (where Freeman's size disadvantage doomed him). If we go nickel or dime in that situation, Manning is going to check to a run play, and we're bent over. JT outran Jackson from 35 yards out, though. That would have been a better situation to have a nickel on JT.

I don't know if the point is that they're better than "any other defender." I think the point is that they'd be better than D'Qwell Jackson and LaRon Landry, in particular. That, I agree with, at least when we're talking about Gordy. Haven't seen enough of Purifoy.

The problem with this proposal is that we would be taking a LB off the field in short situations. JT's TD against Landry was just a few yards out, and so was the one against Freeman (where Freeman's size disadvantage doomed him). If we go nickel or dime in that situation, Manning is going to check to a run play, and we're bent over. JT outran Jackson from 35 yards out, though. That would have been a better situation to have a nickel on JT.

All of this is conjecture.    Pure speculation.

You can try other players and see if they work out better -- fine.    I'm only trying to say expecting that they will work out better is wishful thinking.    Maybe they will.    Maybe they won't.    Just don't expect it.

And, as you yourself note,  if we had made some of those changes,  Peyton would easily spot them and check to another player that would likely have the Colts at a disadvantage.

I'm expecting even more match-up problems this week.     I just hope we have the ball last.    In a game like this,  the team with the ball last may wind up winning......

I'm calling out all the posters and legendary thread starters who post terrible stuff before, during, and after games. Please think before doing so because we don't need any extra craziness, and for once...

3rnvk6.jpg

LOL

We are trying something new this week to organize the craziness:  http://forums.colts.com/blog/1/entry-1709-announcement-important-read-this-about-creating-threads-on-game-day-and-the-day-after/

Chargers vs Cardinals (last monday)

Giants vs Lions (last monday 7-14 by half time)

Redskins vs Houston

Their offense was doing nothing in the first half and yet their defense prevent them from scoring.

You missed my point. Those aren't top tier offenses. And anyone can stop the Giants from scoring.... Eli stops them by himself from scoring

If your offense keeps having 3 & outs eventually your defense is gonna get tired and give up points. And when you play the top offenses like Denver New Orleans or New England you will get blown out from it (hince our 24-0 deficit)

There is no defense that can keep you in the game against the top offenses if your offense isn't doing anything. There's a reason the Saints and Broncos usually win by comfortable margins

TY Hilton. I`m surprised nobody had "called him out" yet. Had an up and down game and going to need him to create some of his magic going forth

Only a matter of time and TY will be a threat again. We have a lot of targets this year, moreso, than last year so that ball will be spread around more.

I don't care what the NFL thinks of him. It's irrelevant to the discussion. The discussion is not Adams worth to the NFL, but if he would have been able to cover JT more effectively than the other who were assigned to him. IMO, yes because he's neither a small, slow LB (D-Jax) nor a total liability in coverage (Landry)

They match up better because they're more athletic/have better coverage ability than either Landry or D'Qwell Jackson. Gordy has already proven this, Purifoy is more of just a guess, but his athletic ability gives him a better match-up than Jackson at the very least IMO. And I don't think it's that far of a reach. 

The problem with this proposal is that we would be taking a LB off the field in short situations. 

Not necessarily. Just take out Landry (or Adams; preferably Landry) on short yardage situations.

Toler       Gordy          Werner-Kerr-Jones-Johnson/Newsome       Butler          Davis

Freeman-Jackson

Adams/Landry

Especially considering the way our D-line was playing in the run game. 

Not necessarily. Just take out Landry (or Adams; preferably Landry) on short yardage situations.

Toler       Gordy          Werner-Kerr-Jones-Johnson/Newsome       Butler          Davis

Freeman-Jackson

Adams/Landry

Especially considering the way our D-line was playing in the run game. 

Basically man up across the board with one safety on the field. I get that, but it's still nickel, and it's technically a small nickel, especially if you take Landry off the field. I think it still invites a run inside the 5, but like you said, I think our front was strong against the run. The other thing is that it might create a mismatch with the back one-on-one against a LB in the flat. That's a more acceptable mismatch than Jackson or Landry against JT, though.

Pep Hamilton

Where's the so called power running game?? At Stanford I saw 2/3 TE sets and the FB in there too, Taylor and Gafferny had bus lanes to run through. Give Trent these lanes and we'll see the results and get him ball in hand from the passing short/screen plays so he can manoeuvre in space.

I want to see Andrew under centre handing off/using play action tired of seeing this constant shotgun set, just pop over to their sideline and tell them we're going to pass! It's so obvious.

Be creative and have them think if we're running or passing out of a pro style offence we are meant to be using, let's see short passing game to the backs out of the backfield instead of lining them up out wide, and get all these quality playmakers involved in the game and let's control the contest from the off!!!

I've enjoyed every one of the comebacks but I want to see the Stanford offence that Pep is meant to of brought with him and recreate the success Andrew had in college because he ran that offence like a pro!! And better than anyone else could.

Go Colts