Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Logan Mankins traded to Tampa Bay

Colts_Fan12

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a real good trade for Tampa, and the Pats must like what they have in newly drafted Cameron Fleming and Bryan Stork to do this trade. However, it is hard to reproduce the tenacity of a Logan Mankins, especially on the interior of the OL to run against the likes of the Ravens, Bengals etc.

Will this be a move a tad too early? Only time will tell.

Wow, didn't think Logan Mankins was even available for a trade. He is still only 32, so has at least 3 more good years in him. Very surprised the Pats made this trade. He has been a staple on their OL for years.

Wish the Colts would have dealt for Mankins if he didn't demand too much which apparently in this deal he's not.

Wow, didn't think Logan Mankins was even available for a trade. He is still only 32, so has at least 3 more good years in him. Very surprised the Pats made this trade. He has been a staple on their OL for years.

Wish the Colts would have dealt for Mankins if he didn't demand too much which apparently in this deal he's not.

Heck, I would have parted with Fleener or Allen for him for our OL. I guess it is different if it is the NFC vs the AFC. Pats won't trade with us, we won't trade with them, not so easily.

We would of probably have send away a TE to obtain Mankins.

Probably very well once he gets up to speed with the offense. He had a pretty good year with mike glennon. Brady is just a smidge better than him

As to Glennon, I think he got a raw deal in Tampa considering he produced pretty well for a rookie mid round QB, Heck he out produced where he was drafted really though he had his struggles, he was not that far off of what Russell Wilson did as a rookie and Glennon missed 3 games...He is also arguably outplaying Mccown now

@AdamSchefter: Patriots will receive Bucs' fourth-round pick in 2014 in additon to TE Tim Wright in exchange for G Logan Mankins.

@AlbertBreer: Tim Wright's 2014 cap number is $498,333, or just over $10 million less than Logan Mankins' 

I'm surprised Breer would point the cap hit pre-trade, which is pretty irrelevant, instead of the cap savings... check out the dead money.

http://overthecap.com/player/logan-mankins/1225

As to Glennon, I think he got a raw deal in Tampa considering he produced pretty well for a rookie mid round QB, Heck he out produced where he was drafted really though he had his struggles, he was not that far off of what Russell Wilson did as a rookie and Glennon missed 3 games...He is also arguably outplaying Mccown now

Yeah, i wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing sooner or later

Got him for cheap. Tim Wright won't be missed since they just drafted ASJ, who is now their starting TE by default. Works out for the Pats too, since BB is excellent in coaching up O-Lineman so it's not as huge a loss for them. But I'm sure his experience and veteran leadership will be missed.

@AdamSchefter: Patriots will receive Bucs' fourth-round pick in 2014 in additon to TE Tim Wright in exchange for G Logan Mankins.

@AlbertBreer: Tim Wright's 2014 cap number is $498,333, or just over $10 million less than Logan Mankins' was.

Clearly a cash money move...

..but there has to be more to this, right?

I'm surprised Breer would point the cap hit pre-trade, which is pretty irrelevant, instead of the cap savings... check out the dead money.

http://overthecap.com/player/logan-mankins/1225

First of all, wow. Didn't see this coming. I'm pretty shocked, especially since the line has had some questions in camp thus far. Mankins is by most accounts a great player and he brought a lot of attitude to the unit. They have to feel pretty comfortable with what they have behind him to make this move. 

Second of all, looking at this link, there was no way his 2015 and 2016 numbers were going to work out. They probably would have paid him this year but then they would have been in a position next year where they would have had to cut him. For 2015 he'd have been a 33-year-old guard with a $11M cap hit. They're not saving all that much this year but $7M in 2015 and 2016 is a significant chunk of money to spend elsewhere.

I'm wondering if either of these possibilities are factoring in:

1. Possibly trying to free up money so they can resign Revis long-term. 

2. Possibly trying to free up money to do something this year (less likely). 

Either way I'm very surprised. No one who follows the team could have told you they saw this coming. He was by far their most experienced lineman and a team captain. This is a little like the Richard Seymour trade, or including Vrabel in the Cassel trade.

Wish him luck in Tampa.

Oh, and Tim Wright? Rutgers guy. That's the answer right there, lol...

First of all, wow. Didn't see this coming. I'm pretty shocked, especially since the line has had some questions in camp thus far. Mankins is by most accounts a great player and he brought a lot of attitude to the unit. They have to feel pretty comfortable with what they have behind him to make this move. 

Second of all, looking at this link, there was no way his 2015 and 2016 numbers were going to work out. They probably would have paid him this year but then they would have been in a position next year where they would have had to cut him. For 2015 he'd have been a 33-year-old guard with a $11M cap hit. They're not saving all that much this year but $7M in 2015 and 2016 is a significant chunk of money to spend elsewhere.

I'm wondering if either of these possibilities are factoring in:

1. Possibly trying to free up money so they can resign Revis long-term. 

2. Possibly trying to free up money to do something this year (less likely). 

Either way I'm very surprised. No one who follows the team could have told you they saw this coming. He was by far their most experienced lineman and a team captain. This is a little like the Richard Seymour trade, or including Vrabel in the Cassel trade.

Wish him luck in Tampa.

Oh, and Tim Wright? Rutgers guy. That's the answer right there, lol...

I am very surprised. He was the rock for that OL for years.

Time will tell with the replacement.

I am very surprised. He was the rock for that OL for years.

Time will tell with the replacement.

He was, Shane, you're right... really shocking here. 

I know the Patriots consider position relative to value. I can only assume that they didn't want to invest that kind of money on an interior lineman. But it's still quite a surprise. 

The Patriots then upgrade their line by signing Incognito to a 1 year deal, get the draft pick, the TE and the cap savings, calling it now.

That was my first thought too. Like Wes Welker, they are familiar with what they have to go through with the Dolphins and they have had a close look at him as a division rival. I would not be surprised because you know he will be on a short leash in New England for sure.

Wow, didn't think Logan Mankins was even available for a trade. He is still only 32, so has at least 3 more good years in him. Very surprised the Pats made this trade.

I'm not. They always trade or get rid of their best players in their twilight years. Bruschi, Moss, Vrabel, Seymour... And imo all that was a mistake. They haven't had the same defense since, nor a talented deep threat WR since Moss, and they're paying for it in their playoff pushes.

Don't be shocked if they trade Tom Brady either when he's around age 39. The Pats don't care about the loyalty of their players. Hell, sometimes they seem to troll them (read up on the whole Underwood Superbowl fiasco). If you saw the Colts trading Reggie Wayne, the fan-base would be brandishing pitchforks. In New England, it's just business.

Pats must not ever get O-Line injuries. I wish we knew what that was like. Seems like every time we turn around we are missing a center or guard.

Pats get banged up the same as every other team.  Vollmer and Solder seem to be injured fairly regularly.

read up on the whole Underwood Superbowl fiasco.

Wasn't he yet ANOTHER Rutgers player?  I'm starting to think the Colts should draft whoever we can get from Rutgers in late rounds and trade them to Bill for a premium!  They seem to be his only weakness!