Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fili Moala on IR Gannon Conway DE signed

coltsfanmilyman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People think U.D.F.A. don't remember this type of stuff...we do. We think of it constantly. It's absolutely motivation, when the world calls you "CAMP FODDER" or some type of O.T.A. punchin' bag. This really does hurt and you remember it forever.

I'm wishing him the best but the kid looks like a high schooler is all. It takes a few years for most players to

mature enough to be able to take the grind of an NFL line. We have a lot of mature players that will take his

spot on the roster.

I'm wishing him the best but the kid looks like a high schooler is all. It takes a few years for most players to

mature enough to be able to take the grind of an NFL line. We have a lot of mature players that will take his

spot on the roster.

I know it's the nature of the beast, but it's really hard to be told you're not good enough to play the game that you've been fightin' for since age 8 or so. The NFL has alot of guys like me. The truth is, it's not really about talent, but opportunity/circumstance. Things have to really fall for you.

Dang, Moala was great depth. We so should've kept Lawrence Guy.

Let's see what Conway can do I guess!

Question:

When you go to IR, does your salary count against the cap?

It depends. ;)

He received no signing bonus. I'm not sure of the date of the roster bonus, but it's 400k. If that date is past, that counts against the cap. If not, then he likely doesn't qualify for the bonus since he's not on the active roster, and it goes away.

Since Moala's salary is only guaranteed as of Week 1, the salary doesn't have to be paid if he's no longer on the team. But you can't release and injured player, so he has to go to IR, then they will negotiate an injury settlement, and he'll be released after that. Only the settlement amount will count against the cap.

That's my understanding. If anyone notices any errors, please correct me.

I know it's the nature of the beast, but it's really hard to be told you're not good enough to play the game that you've been fightin' for since age 8 or so. The NFL has alot of guys like me. The truth is, it's not really about talent, but opportunity/circumstance. Things have to really fall for you.

I agree opportunity and circumstance play a role, and occasionally a talented player will fall through the cracks ... but IMO usually "the cream will rise to the top" and truly talented players will find a way to the field even if it takes a little longer or on a different team.

I think that's a true statement for about 80% of the players in the NFL.  As esmort said, the cream will rise, those guys are getting the opportunity because of their talent.

You could look at a lot of teams rosters and see where they're spending the lions share of the cap.  There are a lot of guys making vet minimum or a little more.  They're replaceable.

It depends. ;)

He received no signing bonus. I'm not sure of the date of the roster bonus, but it's 400k. If that date is past, that counts against the cap. If not, then he likely doesn't qualify for the bonus since he's not on the active roster, and it goes away.

Since Moala's salary is only guaranteed as of Week 1, the salary doesn't have to be paid if he's no longer on the team. But you can't release and injured player, so he has to go to IR, then they will negotiate an injury settlement, and he'll be released after that. Only the settlement amount will count against the cap.

That's my understanding. If anyone notices any errors, please correct me.

Thanks for that. Let me try to confuse the situation lol....

So, the Colts could settle on an injury amount lower than his salary, not pay his salary (since it's not guaranteed), and release him? Not that he was a big hit against the cap anyways. 

If they do keep him, his salary will be paid after game 1, but no injury settlement will? 

And one last question.....if he's on IR, he does NOT count against the 53 man roster, correct? 

Thanks for that. Let me try to confuse the situation lol....

So, the Colts could settle on an injury amount lower than his salary, not pay his salary (since it's not guaranteed), and release him? Not that he was a big hit against the cap anyways. 

If they do keep him, his salary will be paid after game 1, but no injury settlement will? 

And one last question.....if he's on IR, he does NOT count against the 53 man roster, correct? 

Going backward, no, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster. That's what IR is for. Players on reserve lists don't count against roster limits. (And by the way, the 53 man roster doesn't exist until Week 1. Right now, it's a 90 man roster.)

If they were to keep him without reaching an injury settlement, I don't think he'd be entitled to pay in this particular situation, since none of his salary is guaranteed. The team is protected, in a way, against a player refusing an injury settlement just to get full salary. And I think that has to do with the date of his being placed on IR. If it were up to the team, they'd simply release him and not pay him anything. The rule prohibiting him from being released is supposed to be a protection to him, as a middle ground of sorts. That's the way I understand it.

And yes, they reach an injury settlement that is paid instead of his salary. Then he gets to kick rocks. This is usually the way it goes for a player with only one year remaining on his contract, or a young player on a rookie deal, that the team doesn't need to stick around. But every circumstance is different.

People think U.D.F.A. don't remember this type of stuff...we do. We think of it constantly. It's absolutely motivation, when the world calls you "CAMP FODDER" or some type of O.T.A. punchin' bag. This really does hurt and you remember it forever.

I love when people say camp fodder. (I have used it too at times.)

I guess Jeff Saturday did not like that 'label'   :)

Can you cut someone on IR?  I think they need to agree on a contract buyout.

I think you have to reach an injury settlement or something like that.  

Most likely they wouldn't cut him though.  Cap space is not an issue at all in this case and being on IR he doesn't hurt us in any way.  He's not taking up a roster space or anything like that.  

He just likely won't be re-signed after this season.  

The good news is that looking at Fili's earnings history if he was smart and saved his money he should be set for life.  

Going backward, no, he doesn't count against the 53 man roster. That's what IR is for. Players on reserve lists don't count against roster limits. (And by the way, the 53 man roster doesn't exist until Week 1. Right now, it's a 90 man roster.)

If they were to keep him without reaching an injury settlement, I don't think he'd be entitled to pay in this particular situation, since none of his salary is guaranteed. The team is protected, in a way, against a player refusing an injury settlement just to get full salary. And I think that has to do with the date of his being placed on IR. If it were up to the team, they'd simply release him and not pay him anything. The rule prohibiting him from being released is supposed to be a protection to him, as a middle ground of sorts. That's the way I understand it.

And yes, they reach an injury settlement that is paid instead of his salary. Then he gets to kick rocks. This is usually the way it goes for a player with only one year remaining on his contract, or a young player on a rookie deal, that the team doesn't need to stick around. But every circumstance is different.

I'm pretty sure players on injured reserve still get paid.  

Although the question as to if he is paid the full amount or a certain percentage of it would be in his contract.  

I love when people say camp fodder. (I have used it too at times.)

I guess Jeff Saturday did not like that 'label'   :)

I had on Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on the NFL Channel today and they were talking about Fili going down.

Couple of off the cuff remarks from Kirwan disappointed me, I always liked him. First, he said Conway is camp fodder. Fair enough, he probably is, but after Freeman we know not to dismiss anyone.

Then he implied the Colts don't have faith in Hughes or the other guys or they wouldn't have brought Jones in. It was the coaches way of saying those guys weren't ready. Neither he nor Miller seemed to know that Hughes didn't play the same position.

He also said the Colts should look to pick up a better replacement.

Again, those were all off the cuff remarks responding to the Fili IR. I think we're in pretty decent shape.

I'm pretty sure players on injured reserve still get paid.  

Although the question as to if he is paid the full amount or a certain percentage of it would be in his contract.  

Again, it depends.

A lot of players spend the season on IR. That's usually only with players that the team wants to keep around for more than just the coming season. Sean Lee will spend 2014 on IR with the Cowboys, and he'll get paid his full base salary (only $750k, due to a big signing bonus and subsequent restructure; there's a bonus in 2015 based on games played in 2013-14 that he won't get). 

For a player like Moala, on a one year deal with no guaranteed money (he got hurt before any guarantees kicked in), with a 50/50 shot of making the roster to begin with, there's not a lot of indication that the team is interested in keeping him around after 2014. Not to mention that he just hurt his knee again. They can keep him on IR if they want, but it doesn't benefit the team in any way. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season, so they aren't keeping his rights past this year. He's not a great player that they'd consider using a tag on. By doing an injury settlement, they save some cash and some cap space -- just a little, but I only say that because it's not my $1m -- and everyone can move on. 

So because Moala got hurt before the season started, and had no guarantees in his contract -- no signing bonus, a roster bonus (that he probably doesn't qualify for) and a base salary that wasn't guaranteed -- it's a textbook injury settlement situation.

Again, it depends.

A lot of players spend the season on IR. That's usually only with players that the team wants to keep around for more than just the coming season. Sean Lee will spend 2014 on IR with the Cowboys, and he'll get paid his full base salary (only $750k, due to a big signing bonus and subsequent restructure; there's a bonus in 2015 based on games played in 2013-14 that he won't get). 

For a player like Moala, on a one year deal with no guaranteed money (he got hurt before any guarantees kicked in), with a 50/50 shot of making the roster to begin with, there's not a lot of indication that the team is interested in keeping him around after 2014. Not to mention that he just hurt his knee again. They can keep him on IR if they want, but it doesn't benefit the team in any way. He'll be an unrestricted free agent after this season, so they aren't keeping his rights past this year. He's not a great player that they'd consider using a tag on. By doing an injury settlement, they save some cash and some cap space -- just a little, but I only say that because it's not my $1m -- and everyone can move on. 

So because Moala got hurt before the season started, and had no guarantees in his contract -- no signing bonus, a roster bonus (that he probably doesn't qualify for) and a base salary that wasn't guaranteed -- it's a textbook injury settlement situation.

Thanks for the clarification that is what I was trying to say

I think this is the end for Fili.  A sidenote:  if Moala is done, the list of Polian era players left on the Colts gets shorter:  Costanzo, Reitz, Wayne, Mathis, MacAfee and Vinateri. What a turnover in 3 years.

Only two first rounders, and only four drafted players. And all but one on that list have been re-signed by the current administration, so those five could easily be gone as well.

The defensive transition really pushed that along quickly, but that's still pretty remarkable.