Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's assume Donald Thomas is healthy and ready to play Week 1.....

Dustin

I would think Thornton because Mewhort can play almost any O line position so he would be a good backup if someone gets hurt!

I seriouslyyyy doubt Thomas will be ready yet though. Just being honest. And if our o line can play well with it being AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus I will be really happy and I'm sure the team would not rush Thomas back

Probably Thornton.

Side note, people don't realize how good a pick Thornton was.  Last year's draft was really, really shallow.  Check out PFR's 2013 draft page, they have an approximate value number based on a player's production.  Thornton got a 7.  That was the 3rd best in the 3rd round, and of the 170 or so players after him, only 2 graded out as higher than that (David Bakhtiari and Jordan Mills) and only 2 others graded out the same (Andre Ellington and Zac Stacy).

I would think Thornton because Mewhort can play almost any O line position so he would be a good backup if someone gets hurt!

I seriouslyyyy doubt Thomas will be ready yet though. Just being honest. And if our o line can play well with it being AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, Cherilus I will be really happy and I'm sure the team would not rush Thomas back

Quoted for truth. Nobody is sure Thomas will be healthy...or even if he is if he can be at the same level he was before. I think Mewhort is drafted to compete for the guard spot next to Thorton but with the upside of swinging outside if we need him too. I would love for Thomas to be healthy though.

Probably Thornton.

Side note, people don't realize how good a pick Thornton was.  Last year's draft was really, really shallow.  Check out PFR's 2013 draft page, they have an approximate value number based on a player's production.  Thornton got a 7.  That was the 3rd best in the 3rd round, and of the 170 or so players after him, only 2 graded out as higher than that (David Bakhtiari and Jordan Mills) and only 2 others graded out the same (Andre Ellington and Zac Stacy).

Interesting numbers.  Thornton showed us a lot of production at the end of the year.  I think he is the real deal also.  In fact, I don't think the Mewhort pick has anything to do with specific members of our interior, including concerns about Thomas's health (valid concerns but highly overblown during times where we have little else to speculate about).  The Mewhort pick is about having 7 guys that can play at a starting level, not 5.

I say you go to camp.  You battle the likes of Arthur Jones, RJF, Chapman, Hughes, Redding, and the rest of our 'nasty boys' front 7.

May the best man win each position at guard and center.  

Competition at it's finest compliments of the Colts scouting team and of course Pagano and Grigson!!   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!

Put the pads on brother!

meow holmes thorton I just don't like Grigs body language with Thomas I think Thorton is better than he gets credit for tough spot last year he will be readly to dig in at rg this yr.

If Thomas can't snap he might not dress.

Based solely on film then Mewhort and its not close...Based on potential......Thornton.....He is the more mobile of the two while Mewhort is the better technician with just as much or more of a mauling streak

Based solely on film then Mewhort and its not close...Based on potential......Thornton.....He is the more mobile of the two while Mewhort is the better technician with just as much or more of a mauling streak

Good news...they both have that mean streak I love!!!  :)

Torn quad is what put him on IR officially.  It was later revealed that he also tore his bicep earlier in the game so he's recovering from 2 nasty injuries.

The game was delayed for a while as they carted him off. I was surprised to see Thornton put in at LG when Thomas went down. I had not seen Thornton play LG at all in preseason. That is not to say he didn't, and if he did then I could have just overlooked it. 

what about lance louis, this guy could surprise a lot of people 

When Grigson said Louis was the best lineman on the Bears line, opening day of 2012, it caught my attention. Here we have a lineman who worked his way up to GM of a team, and he says that about a player; it gives the player instant credibility. 

It would be like Pagano giving rave reviews about a defensive back. That was his bread and butter, and propelled him to a head coach. 

I actually think Thornton is the closest thing to a lock in the interior as we have heading into camp. Then its Thomas, Mewhort, Louis and Holmes to battle it out for LG and C.

It is very early; however, with the early buzz coming from the Colts organization, it looks to me like the only lock on the interior line is Mewhort. Just listen to Grigson and Pagano talk about him. I have the feeling he is a day one starter. I am not sure where he will start on the line (probably LG), but it is becoming clearer every time I hear Grigson and Pagano speak about Mewhort, that he is in the immediate plans. 

Probably Thornton.

Bizarre! Yet to be seen if it was a good draft pick. He did PROVE he was not Ready for the NFL, as he was quite BAD.

His coaches, teammates and us fans are certaily rooting for him to get it together.