Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper gives Colts draft grade D +

The Old Crow

I think us that use the emoticons are just trying to let you down easy without coming right out and voicing their displeasure with your comments. I think pretty much of all the comment back to you were self explanatory. This team is not going to fall apart from losing one player with the exception of Luck.

That secondary certainly could fall apart. In today's league Safeties and corners are VERY important. Look at the seahawks, they completely dominated the best offense of NFL history with a couple all-pros in that secondary. Having a player like Earl Thomas to make up for any mistakes by the players in front of him can be the difference of a touchdown and only a first down.

Case and Point: Look at the Colts defense with and without Bob Sanders. He was a difference maker for that defense and I strongly believe he's one of the primary reasons we won a SB. Our defense was completely different when he was not healthy.

Tell me what you think rather than just saying "yes" or "no" with a stupid animated smiley. This is a message board anyways, I like to hear other's opinions at the very least. Maybe someone can change my mindset on this lack of addressing secondary but I have a hard time believing I'm the only one worried about it.

Yes and still went back to back 11-5 seasons with a playoff win in just the 2nd year of a rebuild. I guess we could all find fault if we look hard enough.

Yeah but Grigson sucks 2   10-5 seasons  in a row the shame of it all ..

I think you both are giving Grigs a bit too much credit. Andrew Luck is the biggest reason of all that we have that record over the past 2 seasons. Without him, I would bet we would be around .500, probably even worst. Just think about how many game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks the kid has had to pull for us to be able to win some of those games. I just hope we build a team around Luck that we never did with Peyton. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Grigson did a terrible job with using his 5 picks. The issue is do you want to tar and feather him for the TR trade ? Here's the real issue when you look at this. Pick 26 , by the value chart is worth 700 points. Picks 2, 3 . 5, 6, and 7 … at the slots the Colts selected were worth around 500 total points . Pretty tough to have an impact draft.

After having a great 1st draft 2 years ago I have lost confidence in Grigson he has brought in some bad free agent's and that trade for Richardson really did it for me. I do not like the direction he is leading us into down the line. He seems to lean on his gut feeling to much he is like a poker player taking to many chances. Love my COLTS but not Grigson

Someone remind me which team Mel Kiper got to the playoffs?

If anyone wants to read about Kiper and mcshays draft expertise:

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/equally-inaccurate-an-analysis-of-mel-kiper-jr-and-todd-mcshays-draft-rankings/

Here's an excerpt: Neither expert’s rankings were a particularly good predictor of how a player would perform compared to the rest of his class. In fact, the average errors listed above suggest that the gurus’ rankings are off by around 35 spots when compared to the player’s actual performance.

Thanks for posting that.

I've been hoping for a while that someone would compile an in-depth analysis of TV and Radio "draft guru" predictions and grade them after the players book 2-3 seasons in the league. I understand that it's all entertainment and I enjoy it as much as the next guy....and none of it should be taken too seriously.

But why not take what is already the cottage industry of the NFL Draft one step further?

After all, GMs get publicly ripped and then justifiably fired for screwing these things up too many times in a row.

Since they don't seem to mind making it something of a contact sport, why shouldn't boobtoob charlatans like McShay, Kiper and the rest of them at least get a little high-profile egg on THEIR faces when they foul up in their chosen profession?

That secondary certainly could fall apart. In today's league Safeties and corners are VERY important. Look at the seahawks, they completely dominated the best offense of NFL history with a couple all-pros in that secondary. Having a player like Earl Thomas to make up for any mistakes by the players in front of him can be the difference of a touchdown and only a first down.

Case and Point: Look at the Colts defense with and without Bob Sanders. He was a difference maker for that defense and I strongly believe he's one of the primary reasons we won a SB. Our defense was completely different when he was not healthy.

Tell me what you think rather than just saying "yes" or "no" with a stupid animated smiley. This is a message board anyways, I like to hear other's opinions at the very least. Maybe someone can change my mindset on this lack of addressing secondary but I have a hard time believing I'm the only one worried about it.

I think you both are giving Grigs a bit too much credit. Andrew Luck is the biggest reason of all that we have that record over the past 2 seasons. Without him, I would bet we would be around .500, probably even worst. Just think about how many game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks the kid has had to pull for us to be able to win some of those games. I just hope we build a team around Luck that we never did with Peyton.

No one is going to argue that Luck isn't the biggest reason we're doing so well. Also, no one would argue that we need a good safety, and maybe another good CB.

What none of us can say is if the Colts had the safeties or CBs on the board highly rated. We have our opinions but we don't have their insight, right or wrong. We can back over the last five drafts and find a lot of highly rated players who,haven't worked out and vice versa.

So when people write as if they know more than our scouts and GM (not saying you in particular), you can understand how some of us can respond with some sarcasm, right?

A WR, A ILB and DE protect Luck?

eh, look, there's no way to know what exactly the caliber of these guys are. I like the OSU guy on tape. I don't have a great feeling about the rest.

Yes, all 3 contribute to Luck's protection here's how

WR: Blazing speed enables him to get open in seconds giving Andrew a quick option from the start

DE: Contributes to our pass rush that can force sacks & bad throws/interceptions giving Andrew a shorter field to work with which usually means less opportunities for the defense to get to him

ILB: Much like the DE, he helps pass rush. But also helps coverage & run defense. Forces fumbles cause dude is a thumper therefore also creating shorter fields for Andrew

That's all for today's lesson on how a "Team" can help a "Player". There will be a pop quiz next Tuesday on this so I hope you all were paying attention.

Class dismissed *Rings Bell*

:colts:

That secondary certainly could fall apart. In today's league Safeties and corners are VERY important. Look at the seahawks,

The Colts beat the Seahawks & earlier you mentioned Alex smith who lost both games against the Colts also the Colts  beat the Fortyniners & Broncos so how bad was my Colts the last 2 seasons ?????   Is there room to improve of course is it the end of the world  " no "we first have to see how all the new pieces fit in this puzzle including the UDFA 's  before a educated well thought out opinion can be formed    No emoticons  necessary ..

they completely dominated the best offense of NFL history with a couple all-pros in that secondary. Having a player like Earl Thomas to make up for any mistakes by the players in front of him can be the difference of a touchdown and only a first down.

Yes, all 3 contribute to Luck's protection here's how

WR: Blazing speed enables him to get open in seconds giving Andrew a quick option from the start

DE: Contributes to our pass rush that can force sacks & bad throws/interceptions giving Andrew a shorter field to work with which usually means less opportunities for the defense to get to him

ILB: Much like the DE, he helps pass rush. But also helps coverage & run defense. Forces fumbles cause dude is a thumper therefore also creating shorter fields for Andrew

That's all for today's lesson on how a "Team" can help a "Player". There will be a pop quiz next Tuesday on this so I hope you all were paying attention.

Class dismissed *Rings Bell*

:colts:

red-apple.jpg

You never know with these draft picks. I'll tell you one thing though, I wish the Colts player personnel people could pick wide receivers for the Ravens, because you guys seem to nail those picks. That tells me Moncrief will be a good one.

If we could only trade inside information (your d-line/our WR'S) . Let's make it happen! I'll not cast judgment on the donte pick,until i see him play. The truth is Grig's is pretty darn good with selecting WR'S.

No one is going to argue that Luck isn't the biggest reason we're doing so well. Also, no one would argue that we need a good safety, and maybe another good CB.

What none of us can say is if the Colts had the safeties or CBs on the board highly rated. We have our opinions but we don't have their insight, right or wrong. We can back over the last five drafts and find a lot of highly rated players who,haven't worked out and vice versa.

So when people write as if they know more than our scouts and GM (not saying you in particular), you can understand how some of us can respond with some sarcasm, right?

I understand most people won't just have a basic conversation just due to the stupidity of some people. I was just making a case and I probably shouldn't of typed the part of almost being done with Grigson, I'm just frustrated at some of the picks is all.

The value just doesn't look good(on paper). Who knows? Mewhort may have been the next OL on everyones board when he took him. It actually sounds like the Seahawks may have wanted Mewhort since they took an OL right after us and Pete Carroll said something about missing on their guy and grabbing the next OL on board. I will wait and see how the draft class looks post-season but right now I'm not very impressed due to some major holes not being filled.

However I am not a GM nor even a scout in the NFL, so in no way am I saying that I know more than our draft staff does. I just don't want this regime to miss opportunities like we did with Peyton.

I disagree, because scouts tend to scout regions (midwest and so on) . Our scouts need to branch out abit and explore other locations and schools. Our scouting department needs some new blood/fresh idea's. We missed alot.

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are jokes.  How in the world do they keep their jobs and why does ESPN bring him out of his hole for 4 days a year?  

Mike Mayock on the other hand is great.  He's very knowledgeable and doesn't grade anything until he's seen them play in the NFL.

Grading a draft is so moronic right after the draft. You always need to wait a couple of seasons to see how these guys turn out.

Even anyone on here saying Grigs nailed it is full of crap as well because we have no clue what these guys are going to do. We addresses a big need with our first pick and hopefully have a potential replacement for Wayne.

I am worried about our CB and safety, but we shall see what happens with the guys we have.

Can we please cast this thread in stone so that after we kick a** this year we can go back next year and profusely ridicule all of the naysayers who act like they know something - not just the arm chair GM's - but Mel Kiper as well?

Sounds like fun fun fun to me.

ColtsHappy

Just put it this way...when the Colts still can't get past the Broncos and/or Pats in the post-season next year and our thin/weak secondary is exposed then those with blinders on right now will see why some are upset that the secondary was not sufficiently addressed this off-season.  I know that we signed some interesting UDFA (Qua Cox, that corner from Syracuse, Dewey MacDonald SS, etc.) that I hope pan out but more needed to be done in my opinion.  Secondary is still a weakness on defense that Peyton and Brady will be sure to exploit when the time comes.  I can't honestly look at our secondary right now and conclude that it has improved from last year and last year got pretty ugly at times.  They will need to stay healthy in the secondary this year because if we get hit with injuries there it will get ugly...fast.

I disagree, because scouts tend to scout regions (midwest and so on) . Our scouts need to branch out abit and explore other locations and schools. Our scouting department needs some new blood/fresh idea's. We missed alot.

Sooooo scouting players from the Canadian football league isn't expanded horizons?

I don't even think Canada likes the US yet we're getting players from there

Just put it this way...when the Colts still can't get past the Broncos and/or Pats in the post-season next year and our thin/weak secondary is exposed then those with blinders on right now will see why some are upset that the secondary was not sufficiently addressed this off-season. I know that we signed some interesting UDFA (Qua Cox, that corner from Syracuse, Dewey MacDonald SS, etc.) that I hope pan out but more needed to be done in my opinion. Secondary is still a weakness on defense that Peyton and Brady will be sure to exploit when the time comes. I can't honestly look at our secondary right now and conclude that it has improved from last year and last year got pretty ugly at times.

Our secondary wasn't the reason why the Pats knocked us out, our front 7 was & that was addressed this off-season so therefore your post is invalid sir

I understand most people won't just have a basic conversation just due to the stupidity of some people. I was just making a case and I probably shouldn't of typed the part of almost being done with Grigson, I'm just frustrated at some of the picks is all. The value just doesn't look good(on paper). Who knows? Mewhort may have been the next OL on everyones board when he took him. It actually sounds like the Seahawks may have wanted Mewhort since they took an OL right after us and Pete Carroll said something about missing on their guy and grabbing the next OL on board. I will wait and see how the draft class looks post-season but right now I'm not very impressed due to some major holes not being filled. However I am not a GM nor even a scout in the NFL, so in no way am I saying that I know more than our draft staff does. I just don't want this regime to screw up like we did with Peyton. 

No one wants that either....but some of the most nauseating moments from the Manning era that I can remember were having to watch a chronically pathetic, dead fish-stinking level of run-blocking....the result of an almost flippant approach given to the OG position. Trench weaknesses played a very, very large part in playoff losses.

I totally get that we have some bolstering of the CB/S positions to do, but if Grigson attempts to patch those areas with Draft Day "reaches" as he sees it....what have we really gained?

Let these draft and UDFA prospects play and show us what they got....it's entirely possible Grigson has netted us 3-4 solid starters, regardless of what that joker Kiper says.

If we could only trade inside information (your d-line/our WR'S) . Let's make it happen! I'll not cast judgment on the donte pick,until i see him play. The truth is Grig's is pretty darn good with selecting WR'S.

It's kind of wierd how some franchises seem to be more adept at picking offensive or defensive players. Although this is a generalization, I think the perception would be the Colts draft better offensive players , while the Ravens draft better defensive players. I guess that's the way the board comes up some time, best player available. The Ravens still don't have a right tackle, but we just kept drafting defensive players. I like the picks, but now we will be looking for cuts off other teams to fill the position.

The Colts seem to really get value at WR, like the Hilton pick. The Ravens have had many busts except for Torrey Smith. I haven't totally studied the Colts draft, but they still have money to fill needs. They are head and shoulders above all of their divisional foes. I don't see any scenario where they don't win the division. I like the Ravens rebuilding, but where they finish in the AFC North is a question mark.

" - when the Colts still can't get past the - Pats in the post-season next year and our thin/weak secondary is exposed then those with blinders on right now will see why some are upset that the secondary was not sufficiently addressed - "

The Colts did not lose to the Patriots in the playoffs because of the secondary. Unless our secondary's primary task was stopping LeGarette Blount. The Colts were 26th in the league in rushing defense, relinquishing 5.1 yards per carry. They RAN down our throats 46 times for 234 yards and 6 touchdowns. Brady on the other hand was 13/25 & 198 yards. Everyone on the planet will take those numbers against Brady.

Nice try.

Crazy how guys argue with each other about something that neither one of them have the answers to, while totally second-guessing the people with the most information on the subject. Its like arguing about what the lottery numbers will be 6 months from now.

Its simple, this is C Pagano and R Grigson's team. They get the credit for the success of the team, AND, they will get the blame for its failures. I highyly doubt they are trying to fail so I must observe the how they build the team conservatively and whatever ends up on the field aggressively.

2 years ago, I could never have predicted never missing the playoffs for another 10+ year run. So I dont get too frustrasted if the front office does something I dont understand. I'm just a fan. 

It's kind of wierd how some franchises seem to be more adept at picking offensive or defensive players. Although this is a generalization, I think the perception would be the Colts draft better offensive players , while the Ravens draft better defensive players. I guess that's the way the board comes up some time, best player available. The Ravens still don't have a right tackle, but we just kept drafting defensive players. I like the picks, but now we will be looking for cuts off other teams to fill the position.

The Colts seem to really get value at WR, like the Hilton pick. The Ravens have had many busts except for Torrey Smith. I haven't totally studied the Colts draft, but they still have money to fill needs. They are head and shoulders above all of their divisional foes. I don't see any scenario where they don't win the division. I like the Ravens rebuilding, but where they finish in the AFC North is a question mark.

No, our draft this year is complete GARBAGE (outside of the Mewhort pick) . He couldn't have done worse, if he tried. Seriously disappointed. Our rival's got stronger, and we got a solid guard. Luck better have some magic...cause we're gonna need it. We have LUCK, so there's always a chance, but i hoped for more than just counting on luck to save the day.

No doubt that Luck is a great QB but even he cant make the plays it takes to win without the other team mates to pull the wins out. When a GM that took over a 2-14 team with a cap nightmare to the playoffs his 1st year and a division championship and a playoff win can't get the credit he deserves it's sad. Grigson was given the GM of the year for a reason by those who knows how hard the job is. If you chose to overlook him and give him no credit that's on you. When Grigson took this team over it had virtually no offense at all with the players who were cut before he came here. I think you are not giving Grigson near enough credit myself.

Bill Tobin DEMOLISHES Mel Kiper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a-Sn0PeKFo

"...to me it's a mistake! You cannot go with Jim Harbaugh and pass up Trent Dilfer!" - Mel Kiper

Kiper said we should've drafted Trent Dilfer instead of going with Jim Harbaugh and drafting Marshall Faulk.

To add to that drama, I think you guys know Mel is a Baltimore guy. I think the pick he was talking about was Trev Alberts over Dilfer. If you look back at it Alberts was a bust, Harbaugh took the Colts to an AFC Championship game, and Dilfer was a bust in Tampa, but did win a Super Bowl in Baltimore. All in all , it was probably a push, but great television.

No, our draft this year is complete GARBAGE (outside of the Mewhort pick) . He couldn't have done worse, if he tried. Seriously disappointed. Our rival's got stronger, and we got a solid guard. Luck better have some magic...cause we're gonna need it. We have LUCK, so there's always a chance, but i hoped for more than just counting on luck to save the day.

That is a disappointing comment.

No one wants that either....but some of the most nauseating moments from the Manning era that I can remember were having to watch a chronically pathetic, dead fish-stinking level of run-blocking....the result of an almost flippant approach given to the OG position. Trench weaknesses played a very, very large part in playoff losses.

I totally get that we have some bolstering of the CB/S positions to do, but if Grigson attempts to patch those areas with Draft Day "reaches" as he sees it....what have we really gained?

Let these draft and UDFA prospects play and show us what they got....it's entirely possible Grigson has netted us 3-4 solid starters, regardless of what that joker Kiper says.

It's definitely possible we found a few starters, just I don't see them starting this year. I really feel we are only a couple spots from a true SB contender, just think 2 of those spots are in our secondary. Trench weakness was TERRIBLE for peyton, just awful. I hope we can get a run game started for Luck, last year was even rough to watch after the 9ers game. Come on Trich...be worth that 1st pick.

Our secondary wasn't the reason why the Pats knocked us out, our front 7 was & that was addressed this off-season so therefore your post is invalid sir

Your point is true in our last playoff game last year.  But don't think for a second that New England couldn't have passed on us at will if they really wanted to.  They simply went with and stuck with what was working...to their credit. 

Kansas City's Alex Smith carved up our secondary pretty good in the AFC Wildcard game the week before and our secondary gave up big plays all season long last year (especially when Toler went down)... so don't delude yourself too much.   But hey...keep sipping that apple juice and hoping that our secondary problems will magically just go away. 

Everyone's complaining that our O-Line sucks so we get rid of McGlynn and Satele. Donald Thomas is still injured. So we draft a big tough lineman who can play guard to protect Andrew better than McGlynn and everyone's complaining? Just because we didn't draft a safety doesn't mean we won't make a move for one still. :blueshoe:

The Colts did not lose to the Patriots in the playoffs because of the secondary. Unless our secondary's primary task was stopping LeGarette Blount. The Colts were 26th in the league in rushing defense, relinquishing 5.1 yards per carry. They RAN down our throats 46 times for 234 yards and 6 touchdowns. Brady on the other hand was 13/25 & 198 yards. Everyone on the planet will take those numbers against Brady.

Nice try.

Same response to TKnight..applies here.  See my last post above.

Luck is always the ace in the hole. Thanks to the Richardson trade, I get to see Johnny Football twice a year. Those Browns are funny.

The people that "love" this draft must have rose-colored glasses on. Now I will hold off a year or 2 before "grading it" but don't expect good grades from analysts this week. 

I personally think we had one of the worst drafts this year. I was in shock of the picks that we made, except for Moncrief. But we don't even need a WR, like at all. We do however need CB/S (depth at least). I'm scared of our secondary, they have been ignored all offseason(except for re-signing Vontae) and it's going to come back to bite us.

I'm about ready for a new GM or at least new draft scouts because these guys have been TERRIBLE in early rounds the past 2 years. Late round picks are fine with me this year, look like they have great potential but really think drafting a CB or a safety could've made this draft look a lot better. We are not the 49ers, we can't just draft BPA everytime without addressing some key needs on this football team. 

So You go ahead and Grade last years draft but you will hold off on this one. lmao you are an ___!

Werner, Holmes, M Hughes, and Thornton should  ALL become solid players.

We already have 4 safeties that can do an ok job.

We have 3 solid CB`s and 2 prospects already signed.  So YOU are freaked over us not adding that 4th string difference maker.

What a tool!

Gee, maybe ONE qood CB will be signed post June 1, traded for, or picked up after final cuts. NAAA! Lets FREAK OUT!

Sorry the Monster Roster Build doesn`t meet your expectations. 

Moncrief was a VG pickup because Rogers is a ?, Brazill, Whalen are very mediocre, Reggie is a question mark, Nicks is a serious ? mark beyond this year and WR takes time to develope.

You didn`t get Anything right!

Luck is always the ace in the hole. Thanks to the Richardson trade, I get to see Johnny Football twice a year. Those Browns are funny.

Ya' never know with neckbeard. He can do some serious damage, even with a team of subpar talent. As long as we have NERDNATION, then we have a chance. He's really just that great. But i hoped for more than just depending on LUCK'S magic to save the day. It's exciting to watch though.

Giving Luck more protection and weapons can't be a bad thing. The atrocious TRich trade probably prevented Grigson from filling the safety need. So unless we count the trade in the draft grade, I like the results. It's hard to overlook the missing #1, though, especially when we got nothing but a lumbering RB for it.

The people that "love" this draft must have rose-colored glasses on. Now I will hold off a year or 2 before "grading it" but don't expect good grades from analysts this week. 

I personally think we had one of the worst drafts this year. I was in shock of the picks that we made, except for Moncrief. But we don't even need a WR, like at all. We do however need CB/S (depth at least). I'm scared of our secondary, they have been ignored all offseason(except for re-signing Vontae) and it's going to come back to bite us.

I'm about ready for a new GM or at least new draft scouts because these guys have been TERRIBLE in early rounds the past 2 years. Late round picks are fine with me this year, look like they have great potential but really think drafting a CB or a safety could've made this draft look a lot better. We are not the 49ers, we can't just draft BPA everytime without addressing some key needs on this football team. 

How has our secondary been ignored? We have the same exact cornerback group as last year, except a healthy Toler, and everyone in the Colts organization knew Delano Howell would be the starting safety, but for some reason people on this board struggle to see that, and I can't wait to see him prove all of you wrong. The only problem is safety depth, and how us not in Grigson's opinion, reaching for safety depth, makes this an awful draft.