Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft Jack Mewhort, OL, OSU [Merge]

oldunclemark

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all the "draft experts" on here.  They are hilarious.  They watched the combine and listened to Mike Mayock talk about guys and all of a sudden they are experts talking about player grades, and projections.  Or they read an article on some website that said he should have gone in the 3rd and not the 2nd, maybe they even watch a YouTube highlight tape and are now experts.

Ironically, Mayock had him ranked #59 overall...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000346744/article/2014-nfl-draft-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects

Weight issues probably. 

Nix had knee surgery for a torn meniscus, IIRC. Might have knocked him down some.

I didn't call him a bust, it's just that Grigson reached 2 rounds for him. He definitely won't be an all pro that's for sure. Mewhort would have been a good pick in the 5th but not with our 1st pick with so many needs on defense. Louis Nix and Terrence Brooks would have been great picks with better value. 

So in your hundreds of hours of film study how did you come to the conclusion that he was a 4th rounder?  I am admittedly no expert on Jack Mewhort but every single website that I have read had him pegged as a 2nd rounder, Ryan Grigson had him pegged as a 2nd rounder, Mike Mayock had him as the #59 prospect (exactly where we took him), I have read that he is the most versatile lineman in the draft, I read that while he is not great at anyone thing, he is solid all the way around.  

So I am curious, what do you know that everyone else doesn't?  Did you see something in the film that everyone else missed?  

I trust Grigson opinion on every position except for O-line. We started Mike Mcglynn and Samson Satele to protect Luck. That should tell you a lot about his scouting for o-linemen. It wasn't a good pick, we needed defense and Louis Nix and Terrence Brooks were still on the board.

Stop stating things as facts. YOU think that he's reaching 2 rounds. It's an opinion. I trust Grigson and our scouts' opinions over your or some "expert's" opinion. And a safety could easily be available at 90.

Height determines position?

Here are the top SR C's according to sportsX

the top 10 are ALL at least 6' 3"....       just saying...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=C&draftyear=2014&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

The guy will never be the starting center. He is 6' 6". He is a RT who will be pushed to develope as a Guard. Looks like a poor mans Castonzo. Oh boy! Taller than you like for a Guard, probably why they say he doesn`t anchor well against a bull rush.

And when they let Reitz go after this season, he can be our backup LT if he beats out Nixon for that Job. And logic says they drafted him because they don`t trust Nixon to get it done.

Jack Mewhort has played left guard, right guard... and left tackle. If the Colts move him to center it would be interesting. He is listed as a vocal leader which could be good for the Colts o-line. I'm intrigued.

And he was an all American center in high school. Great utility player.

Ok, I'll bite.

So then why didn't we take a better O-linemen with this pick, and this guy at 90, where he likely would have still been available?

Grigson out-thought himself here.

because espn and everyone else's board doesn't equal the Colts board. Just because on draft night someone else is labeled as "better" doesn't mean that's how the Colts feel. I think the Colts like that he can play many positions namely center. If people have listened to what Grigson and Pagano have said they want This team to be he fits it to a T.

Oline with an attitude who can play multiple positions. Love it! Who knows if Thomas can even stay healthy next year. He may even beat out Hughes outright. Either way our line is in better shape Nd that's what we all wanted.

I trust Grigson opinion on every position except for O-line. We started Mike Mcglynn and Samson Satele to protect Luck. That should tell you a lot about his scouting for o-linemen. It wasn't a good pick, we needed defense and Louis Nix and Terrence Brooks were still on the board.

Do you remember why we signed Samson Satele?  We had tens of millions of dollars in dead money going into 2012, Jeff Saturday was gone, our roster was depleted all the way around.  We signed a cheap veteran that was often injured and usually ineffective when he was healthy, I don't think we brought in Satele to be the center of the future, but he was the only option at the time.  You can't change over an entire offensive line in a 2 year period.  

He was the director of scouting for the Eagles and they reached for Danny Watkins. I watched this guy plenty of times he's a great run blocker, but he was a weak link in pass protection. Good backup for Cherilus but nothing special about him.

He wasn't the gm in Philly. How do you know who he liked?

Donald Thomas hasn't even been cleared to practice yet.

I like him not my first choice but we needed guard help with Thomas's status In question and you can't rely on Lance Louis

Yes...Mewhort's write up says he is very good at picking up stunts and blitzes, which means he can start as a rookie at LG, IMO. A three year starter for a national championship caliber team.

And with Thomas' condition, LG MAY be a bigger need than safety at this point.

What was the stud lineman from bama.

? White dude who could play multiple positions that a ton of guys wanted? Barrett? Anyways, this guy reminds me of him...but better. And he ate Nix for lunch. That's coming from a ND fan.

He was the director of scouting for the Eagles and they reached for Danny Watkins. I watched this guy plenty of times he's a great run blocker, but he was a weak link in pass protection. Good backup for Cherilus but nothing special about him.

That doesn't mean he liked Watkins....he was just one of the voices in the room.

You're crazy. Did you not hear them say he can play ALL POSITIONS ON THE O-LINE. Some people are never satisfied. 

He projects him as being able to play all positions. Mewthort didn`t play a DOWN of C in college. And he is 6' 6"" you ____!

Get a clue!

McGlynn and Satele were stop gap guys, nothing more. Grigson likely thought of them as solid solutions while focusing on other areas an then eventually we could and have moved on from them. We've been upgrading the o-line, which is what people wanted. Just because YOU think it was a reach doesn't make it so.

O-linemen such as Britt (Seahawks), Mewhort (Colts), Spencer Long (Redskins) have all been scouted and apparently rated higher than a Gabe Jackson. I trust those team's scouts and GMs more than you and armchair GMs/scouts.

because espn and everyone else's board doesn't equal the Colts board. Just because on draft night someone else is labeled as "better" doesn't mean that's how the Colts feel. I think the Colts like that he can play many positions namely center. If people have listened to what Grigson and Pagano have said they want This team to be he fits it to a T.

And I get that. I like his warrior spirit, too. It does fit the Pagano mentality. 

But Nix has had better production, and if we intend to use Mewhort in a "joker" role along the O-line filling in at multiple positions per game I think we paid a pretty high price for a role player. With Nix, at least he brought a chance for stability at one position. 

Maybe we play Mewhort at C full time. But with hi flexibility, I think that would almost be a misuse of his skills. I've been very appreciative of his flexibility to play multiple positions. But we could have gotten someone else to do that later. 

And he was an all American center in high school. Great utility player.

The more I read up on him i'm liking this move as opposed to taking someone with an injury history. NFL.com says "Alert to stunts and blitzes. Versatile. Has an ideal temperament for the trenches -- breathes fire." The weakness is listed on the left side... and they mention him not being a "dancing bear" whatever that is. Oddly enough his Twitter cover is of a polar bear. 

It's hard to get excited over a guard but from the videos it looks like he is a good player. With Thomas, Lewis coming back from injury, McGlynn, Link gone and Holmes taking over at center it is hard to argue with this pick. They practically got Thornton, Reitz, and this rookie at guard.

Do you remember why we signed Samson Satele?  We had tens of millions of dollars in dead money going into 2012, Jeff Saturday was gone, our roster was depleted all the way around.  We signed a cheap veteran that was often injured and usually ineffective when he was healthy, I don't think we brought in Satele to be the center of the future, but he was the only option at the time.  You can't change over an entire offensive line in a 2 year period.  

Brooks just went 79th, you have him slotted really well. IDK, has Nix been taken yet?

Grigson is now starting to worry me, can't understand this pick. Not sure where he is going. There are OL men who are established at positions of need for the Colts and we pick a guy who is basically being picked as a back up rather than a starter. I am now beginning to believe that Grigson has painted the Colts in a hole with his trading, and I'm not sure we can make it up. What has saved him for the most part his first three years has been the fact that he had the first pick in the draft his first year, and he was average or less in his second draft. He also had money to buy free agents that helped, Now he is starting in a hole by losing draft picks because of his deals that are considered bold and daring and now he is swimming in quick sand to get picks back and find quality players 

I'm not giving up on Richardson, but I'm worried about his choice. He was on our team for a year, he needed to make some progress, he did not, his trade will not kill us at RB this year but because we gave up a pick in the first round to get him we are scrambling to get players to help us, and in my opinion we have failed with the pick of Mewhart..

You need a center and you draft a Utility lineman. You need a safety and get no one. You live and die by the draft!.

I'll live and Die Blue and White but I still do not understand where we are headed with our choices the last two years. Can't figure it out, that is why he makes the big dollars but please

The more I read up on him i'm liking this move as opposed to taking someone with an injury history. NFL.com says "Alert to stunts and blitzes. Versatile. Has an ideal temperament for the trenches -- breathes fire." The weakness is listed on the left side... and they mention him not being a "dancing bear" whatever that is. Oddly enough his Twitter cover is of a polar bear. 

I hope he doesn't have to start this year. It's good to know he can play all the spots.

They just talked about Nix again. We definitely do not need any more injury prone players.

I hope he doesn't have to start this year. It's good to know he can play all the spots.

They just talked about Nix again. We definitely do not need any more injury prone players.

I'm thinking he is a started sooner rather than later.

He projects him as being able to play all positions. Mewthort didn`t play a DOWN of C in college. And he is 6' 6"" you ____!

Get a clue!

So being 6' 6" excludes him from playing Guard and Center? You kats really don't know football. 

And I get that. I like his warrior spirit, too. It does fit the Pagano mentality.

But Nix has had better production, and if we intend to use Mewhort in a "joker" role along the O-line filling in at multiple positions per game I think we paid a pretty high price for a role player. With Nix, at least he brought a chance for stability at one position.

Maybe we play Mewhort at C full time. But with hi flexibility, I think that would almost be a misuse of his skills. I've been very appreciative of his flexibility to play multiple positions. But we could have gotten someone else to do that later.

IMO we needed oline help more than NT help. Don't get me wrong I would have been fine with Nix but I am not upset at the pick because it wasn't Nix.

IMO we needed oline help more than NT help. Don't get me wrong I would have been fine with Nix but I am not upset at the pick because it wasn't Nix.

I'm not upset at the pick, I just think there were some better options, and I truly believe he would have been still available at 90. The thought that we used our first pick on someone who might not be given consideration for a starting role is kind of offsetting. 

I'm not upset at the pick, I just think there were some better options, and I truly believe he would have been still available at 90. The thought that we used our first pick on someone who might not be given consideration for a starting role is kind of offsetting.

I get you. But what spots do you think are open for a starter. Safety, most likely. Maybe center? I can't see anyone else who was ther who could start on our team.

They must have not thought there was a safety on the board who could step in and start. And I guess they like Holmes.

I get you. But what spots do you think are open for a starter. Safety, most likely. Maybe center? I can't see anyone else who was ther who could start on our team.

They must have not thought there was a safety on the board who could step in and start. And I guess they like Holmes.

Center. There were no safeties left at that point. I was also open to Ellington for his return abilities. I just hate the thought of using our first pick on a guy whose production isn't going to be overly measurable. It reminds me of the Jerry Hughes days when it was hard to justify us spending a first on him to let him rot.