Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Louis Riddick: Hearing rumblings of a draft day trade that would blow the top off the draft involving the QB position.

Dustin

Hearing rumblings of a potential draft day trade that could blow the top off of the draft involving the QB position.

— Louis Riddick (@LRiddickESPN)

May 3, 2014

Something to keep in the back of your mind on draft day. Maybe those Brady-Browns rumors were true.

What Brady/Browns rumor?

Some Browns "insider" said that the Browns had offered a bunch of first rounders to the Pats for the Brady and the Patriots hadn't said "no" yet and that any deal would be done on draft day.

Some Browns "insider" said that the Browns had offered a bunch of first rounders to the Pats for the Brady and the Patriots hadn't said "no" yet and that any deal would be done on draft day.

What?! That doesn't seem right.

I can't see how that makes sense for the Browns at all.  Brady is not going to be around much longer and the browns aren't ready to win the superbowl yet.  For the patriots, if they got a total of 4 first round picks over the next 3 years, it might be a good deal.  But the Patriots still seem to be in a win-now mode and Brady gives them a much better chance to win than some rookie.

The quarterback position is hands down the most over analyzed position of any sport. Period. It's the Beatles of sports, the one thing that gets over analyzed way way too much just like the Fabulous Four's musicianship and their dozen great albums that we love half a century later.

Russell Wilson wasn't even in the top 10 on stats last year and he won the Super Bowl last year.

Eli Manning has two rings and most people are quick to shoot him down for it "oh he's just lucky!"

Big Ben has two rings and is a really good QB and he's yet another one that had a great running game (and stellar defenses) when he won his SB's.

Joe Flacco gets made fun of all the time for his interceptions and his horrible pocket awareness (and I'm just as guilty of this too) yet he has a ring.

I'm not even that wowed by this year's drafts at th QB position; but as always, it's going to be hyped up and made into a big deal cause anything concerning throw ball football has to do with jaws hitting the floor cause someone can throw a stupid ball 80 yards down the field and rack up huge stat numbers.

The quarterbacks that are winning Super Bowl's aren't the super elites anymore. it's guys that have running games and defenses AKA an actual team rather than one guy trying to be God out there and do all the work with throwing 50-60 passes.

The last 3 Super Bowls have been won this way with QB's that most people sigh and roll their eyes over when you praise them. No one jumps up and screams about how Flacco, Eli, or Wilson are going to throw for 5,000 yards, and it really don't matter if they barely throw for 3,000 - they got the job done when it mattered. They had actual teams that played with real team work by running the ball and playing balanced offenses, and having defenses that were hungry and out for blood in the big game.

If I were drafting a QB, I would want someone that at least is a game manager (like Eli, Wilson or Flacco) and then I would focus everything else on drafting and building an actual team around them, defense being the most important of all. The QB position is not everything just cause a few can run the stats up.

Andrew Luck may have been the best QB to be drafted recently. Luck is a game manager, and if he has a team actually built around him in the future, he'll have a ring eventually. It's already impressive enough seeing how far he takes the Colts when they are banged up and struggling.

As far as Brady to the Browns goes, I really doubt this happens. He recently bought land to build a house right near Patriots owner Bob Kraft per online sources. That would be real cold if they shipped him off to Cleveland.

That would make my year.

And that movie out draft day I think is about the Browns too. lmao

As far as Brady to the Browns goes, I really doubt this happens. He recently bought land to build a house right near Patriots owner Bob Kraft per online sources. That would be real cold if they shipped him off to Cleveland.

I agree this won't happen but its not like Kraft has never been cold in his life. He is a billionaire owner who will do what it takes to win and has to look into the future too here. I mean we got Luck so we started early.......neener neener neener. lmao

Brady would win the division and make a run at the Super Bowl with the Browns. Their Defense is already very good finished the year ranked 9th even though they were constantly on the field. They were in most games last year with Weedan or Cambell at QB.

They have Gordon who is quickly becoming one of the most dangerous players in the league a really good TE in Cameron. They signed Tate to carry the ball behind a good O LIne. Fozzy good pass catching back out of the backfied. Obybannaya can do a little bit of everything. I think Brady would make Greg Little look like the WR he is supposed to be.

The Browns are very close to being good they just don't have a QB which makes them really bad.

I am just not sure why the Pats would dump Brady for any QB in this draft. When they have the picks to move up and just take a QB if they wanted to.

They aren't and Cleveland will choose the wrong QB again refuse to admit it and continue to play him and all that talent will go to waste. They are the team that drafted Weedan after all. They are the Browns.

The quarterback position is hands down the most over analyzed position of any sport. Period. It's the Beatles of sports, the one thing that gets over analyzed way way too much just like the Fabulous Four's musicianship and their dozen great albums that we love half a century later.

Russell Wilson wasn't even in the top 10 on stats last year and he won the Super Bowl last year.

Eli Manning has two rings and most people are quick to shoot him down for it "oh he's just lucky!"

Big Ben has two rings and is a really good QB and he's yet another one that had a great running game (and stellar defenses) when he won his SB's.

Joe Flacco gets made fun of all the time for his interceptions and his horrible pocket awareness (and I'm just as guilty of this too) yet he has a ring.

I'm not even that wowed by this year's drafts at th QB position; but as always, it's going to be hyped up and made into a big deal cause anything concerning throw ball football has to do with jaws hitting the floor cause someone can throw a stupid ball 80 yards down the field and rack up huge stat numbers.

The quarterbacks that are winning Super Bowl's aren't the super elites anymore. it's guys that have running games and defenses AKA an actual team rather than one guy trying to be God out there and do all the work with throwing 50-60 passes.

The last 3 Super Bowls have been won this way with QB's that most people sigh and roll their eyes over when you praise them. No one jumps up and screams about how Flacco, Eli, or Wilson are going to throw for 5,000 yards, and it really don't matter if they barely throw for 3,000 - they got the job done when it mattered. They had actual teams that played with real team work by running the ball and playing balanced offenses, and having defenses that were hungry and out for blood in the big game.

If I were drafting a QB, I would want someone that at least is a game manager (like Eli, Wilson or Flacco) and then I would focus everything else on drafting and building an actual team around them, defense being the most important of all. The QB position is not everything just cause a few can run the stats up.

Andrew Luck may have been the best QB to be drafted recently. Luck is a game manager, and if he has a team actually built around him in the future, he'll have a ring eventually. It's already impressive enough seeing how far he takes the Colts when they are banged up and struggling.

Luck's talent is not at game manager level! I agree, that our system plays him as one by running crazy legs richardson into the back of our guards for most of the game. Then depending on him to make a comeback (which he usually does) late and win it.

Luck's talent is not at game manager level! I agree, that our system plays him as one by running crazy legs richardson into the back of our guards for most of the game. Then depending on him to make a comeback (which he usually does) late and win it.

I actually think that would be the opposite of a game manager. Game managers wouldn't be able to comeback single handedly from a 28 point deficit in the playoffs in the middle of the third quarter.

I'm a Pats fan.  Would I trade Brady to the Browns for multiple 1st round picks?  Yes.  QB position I think is overrated.  You need first a great defense to win super bowls and a pretty good QB but not a super star QB.  But would I take Manziel?  Why not Teddy Bridgewater?  And this is not to sound ignorant but the athletic black QB is the new trend and it works.  Manziel is athletic but smaller than Bridgewater.

I think what is more realistic than the Pats making a trade with the Browns is the Pats making a trade with the Texans as the new head coach is Bill O'Brien former Pats' offensive coordinator.  Brady to the Texans makes more sense.  Texans are a QB away from a super bowl run as their defense is one of the best.  Texans will be the most improved team for 2014 I believe.  Last year was strange for the Texans.  They just gave up on Shaub and stopped playing.  They're a much better team than that.

But what are the odds of Brady being traded?  I say a 15% chance.  85% chance he's staying.  I just can't see Belichick and Kraft doing that to Brady.  And like what was posted above, Brady and Giselle are building a new mansion in MA and I think Brady retires a Pat in his 40's and then gets a job in the front office.

I'm a Pats fan. Would I trade Brady to the Browns for multiple 1st round picks? Yes. QB position I think is overrated. You need first a great defense to win super bowls and a pretty good QB but not a super star QB. But would I take Manziel? Why not Teddy Bridgewater? And this is not to sound ignorant but the athletic black QB is the new trend and it works. Manziel is athletic but smaller than Bridgewater.

I think what is more realistic than the Pats making a trade with the Browns is the Pats making a trade with the Texans as the new head coach is Bill O'Brien former Pats' offensive coordinator. Brady to the Texans makes more sense. Texans are a QB away from a super bowl run as their defense is one of the best. Texans will be the most improved team for 2014 I believe. Last year was strange for the Texans. They just gave up on Shaub and stopped playing. They're a much better team than that.

But what are the odds of Brady being traded? I say a 15% chance. 85% chance he's staying. I just can't see Belichick and Kraft doing that to Brady. And like what was posted above, Brady and Giselle are building a new mansion in MA and I think Brady retires a Pat in his 40's and then gets a job in the front office.

I agree with much of what you wrote but I believe there is almost 0% (say .1%) that this trade gets done. Giving up multiple 1st Rd draft picks for an aging player is asking to be fired. I remember when the Raiders traded all those picks for Carson Palmer. I was shaking my head, asking why a struggling team would make such a move. The new GM of the Browns is too smart to make that mistake. Good teams build through the draft. The Browns have 3 of the top 35 picks and can add some impact players to an already talented team.

I also agree that Houston will be one of the most improved teams. They have so much talent. It is mind-boggling how poorly they played last year. I also believe that Detroit will be much improved. Houston and Detroit greatly underachieved last year. I expect both to make the playoffs this year.

I'm a Pats fan. Would I trade Brady to the Browns for multiple 1st round picks? Yes. QB position I think is overrated. You need first a great defense to win super bowls and a pretty good QB but not a super star QB. But would I take Manziel? Why not Teddy Bridgewater? And this is not to sound ignorant but the athletic black QB is the new trend and it works. Manziel is athletic but smaller than Bridgewater.

I think what is more realistic than the Pats making a trade with the Browns is the Pats making a trade with the Texans as the new head coach is Bill O'Brien former Pats' offensive coordinator. Brady to the Texans makes more sense. Texans are a QB away from a super bowl run as their defense is one of the best. Texans will be the most improved team for 2014 I believe. Last year was strange for the Texans. They just gave up on Shaub and stopped playing. They're a much better team than that.

But what are the odds of Brady being traded? I say a 15% chance. 85% chance he's staying. I just can't see Belichick and Kraft doing that to Brady. And like what was posted above, Brady and Giselle are building a new mansion in MA and I think Brady retires a Pat in his 40's and then gets a job in the front office.

Bridgewater runs like a 4.9.

I could understand the Pats wanting to draft a QB this year.  I could understand the Pats offering a couple 1st round picks (plus a 2nd and change) to get the #4 pick.  But Brady to the Browns for multiple #1s make no sense at all -- especially from the Browns side.

Oh shizzle. I doubt anything happens though.

You have written in the past that you want Manziel and you despise the Cowboys. I think the title of this thread may be referring to a possible trade involving the Cowboys, not the Pats. I would not be shocked if it is Jerry Jones who is trying to make this blockbuster trade, possibly to select Manziel. Yes, I know he gave Romo that deal, but Jerry Jones will do anything if he thinks he can make even more money having Manziel on his team.

It is not likely but you never know with Jerry.

You have written in the past that you want Manziel and you despise the Cowboys. I think the title of this thread may be referring to a possible trade involving the Cowboys, not the Pats. I would not be shocked if it is Jerry Jones who is trying to make this blockbuster trade, possibly to select Manziel. Yes, I know he gave Romo that deal, but Jerry Jones will do anything if he thinks he can make even more money having Manziel on his team.

It is not likely but you never know with Jerry.

I really, really hope not. I've been having this feeling ever since the Rick Smith press conference that he is leaning towards quarterback, not sure why but I think he knows we need a passer more than we do a guy who may have motivation issues. (Though it remains to be seen how he performs next to another elite defensive player). And if Jones moves up and grabs Manziel it will be Tebow Time all over again...maybe Manziel Moment? haha But yeah, the first interception that Romo throws (and he will throw interceptions) the fans and the media will be calling for Manziel, and I don't think that's the kind of attention that Jerry wants. Then again, like you said, we never know with Jerry...

I really, really hope not. I've been having this feeling ever since the Rick Smith press conference that he is leaning towards quarterback, not sure why but I think he knows we need a passer more than we do a guy who may have motivation issues. (Though it remains to be seen how he performs next to another elite defensive player). And if Jones moves up and grabs Manziel it will be Tebow Time all over again...maybe Manziel Moment? haha But yeah, the first interception that Romo throws (and he will throw interceptions) the fans and the media will be calling for Manziel, and I don't think that's the kind of attention that Jerry wants. Then again, like you said, we never know with Jerry...

Rick Smith has done a good job assembling talent. However, if he does not draft Manziel and Manziel becomes a franchise QB for another team, Smith will never hear the end of it. Like you told me in an older thread, another reason you and other Texan fans want Manziel is that he is a Texas boy. He can do no wrong. For the sake of the other QBs, I really hope you guys draft him.

I can't see how that makes sense for the Browns at all.  Brady is not going to be around much longer and the browns aren't ready to win the superbowl yet.  For the patriots, if they got a total of 4 first round picks over the next 3 years, it might be a good deal.  But the Patriots still seem to be in a win-now mode and Brady gives them a much better chance to win than some rookie.

This would never happen, for any of a hundred reasons. First, the Pats have a $32.8m cap penalty if they cut or trade Brady in 2014. (I could probably stop right there, right?)

Second, I don't think the Browns' entire draft is enough to get Brady from the Pats. Third, if they did give up their whole draft, they wouldn't be able to add the pieces they need for the next two seasons to actually contend for a Super Bowl.

But -- BUT -- the Browns probably have better weapons than the Pats do right now, offensively. Especially when you factor in the health, or lack thereof, from Gronkowski and Amendola. Jordan Cameron and Josh Gordon are very good. They also have a promising defense, though they lost some pieces. But they'd still be a step or two behind other good teams in the AFC, so it doesn't make sense. They'd be better off drafting Manziel or whoever, adding another receiver (Jordan Matthews or whoever), draft a couple of backs and some defensive playmakers, etc. And stop firing everybody every other year.

Nothing surprises me anymore however I don't think anything would "blow the top off the draft". The Brady thing is just dumb...makes no sense on any level. Neither does bailing out Dallas with the Romo contract. I see several teams trading this year...a lot! Especially the first two rounds with teams moving up and down the board to get their qb...but nothing crazy like trading a franchise qb to get someone in this draft.

I highly doubt the rumor is true but lets not get carried away with the Patriots not being cold. They have not shown too much respect for high dollar players in the past.

I don't think the Pats are interested in trading Brady. Why should they? If they want the QB to eventually take his place they could draft him without making any trades. After all they did pick Brady in the 6th round so I am sure they feel they could get one in an earlier round.

My post above was just me personally making the trade if I was the Pats' GM and was offered multiple picks for Brady.  And it doesn't mean I would draft a QB if Brady was traded.  I'd take my chances with Ryan Mallet who at least can be as good as Joe Flacco IMO.  I'd use the draft to build the defensive line and offensive line.

But why trade Brady for Manziel?  What's with the fascination with Manziel?  It's almost as if Manziel is the only QB in the draft or some amazing superstar.  He's not Andrew Luck or Dan Marino.  I think it would be a horrible mistake to trade Brady for any QB in this draft.

I think it's best for the Pats to just stay where they are in the draft and with their first pick to select a D-lineman and their next pick in the 2nd round pick a Strong Safety (SS).

I would die with laughter, if that happens! Especially with all the patriot fans talking smack about us releasing manning and how brady will retire a patriot.

lol like who?  Show me even ONE post where that happened in reality rather than your imagination.