Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts On The New NFL Rules?

aessma33

I like the idea of the PAT at the 20. It may make teams think about going for 2 more often. The PAT now is just a waste of time. Might as well award the point with the TD. Dunking over the goal post, I'm not sure that really needs to be the worry of those in charge of the NFL. I'm not one of the guys who likes all the celebrations. I'm ok with a spike or a bit of a celebration but some players carry it too far. Crossbar dunk, eh who cares.

I understand the PAT because the current PAT kick is essentially a gimme.  The racial slur one is too subjective, in my opinion.  What about homophobic slurs?  What about sexist comments?  The crossbar one I get because Jimmy Graham and his 260 lbs frame caused a delay in a game when he bent the goalpost after dunking

I like the idea of the PAT at the 20. It may make teams think about going for 2 more often. The PAT now is just a waste of time. Might as well award the point with the TD. Dunking over the goal post, I'm not sure that really needs to be the worry of those in charge of the NFL. I'm not one of the guys who likes all the celebrations. I'm ok with a spike or a bit of a celebration but some players carry it too far. Crossbar dunk, eh who cares.

Nothing is stupider than the crossbar dunk....the game is better without it

I like the idea of doing something with the PAT as as the moment it's somewhat superfluous being pretty much automatic. Bring something in that opens up more risk/reward.

The crossbar ban I can get, people moan it's a no fun league but the league is a business and has to take action to stop anything it's identified as a risk or open itself up to litigation should something unfortunate happen as a result of some of these man mountains dunking on them. What I didn't agree with was the clamping down on some of the more fun celebrations that couldn't be considered risks at all. Ahh Chad I miss you man.  

Love the PAT move. It will make every TD more interesting now especially if the weather conditions are poor for kicking FGs.

Racial slur seems like a Pandora's box to me.

Could care less about the TD celebration but not sure what was wrong with the dunking unless they fear injury and more law suits.

I heard they are also extending the FG posts by 5 feet which I also like so it will be easier to determine if a FG is good.

Belichick was also lobbying to have ALL plays be subject to coach's review/challenge not just certain ones. I liked this idea as well.

how is the game better without it?

Football was fine without it for 75 years..

People acting stupid always diminishes anything....

Its professional football...not clown theatre..

To put your body at risk for the thrill of being stupid is something players shouldn't want to do.

Since some players love stupid....elders must make rules...

I think I understand the reason for the dunking rule.  I don't like the other 2.

1. Racial slurs or any kind of slur banning is just too subjective.  I just don't get the feeling that racism is a huge problem in football.  How long could a racist seriously last in organized football?  If you play in college or the pros you are most certainly going to be playing with people who are a different race from you.  I just don't think it's a big enough problem to make a rule about.  Plus it's going to eventually lead to a situation where just about anything that the ref can deem as offensive will get a flag thrown.  

2. My understanding on the dunking rule is that a couple of times last season a dunk celebration messed up the positioning of the goal posts and it delayed the game while they had to fix it.  If this is true then I understand the reason for the rule.

3. Quite frankly I'm ok with the PAT being a gimme.  It's the thing that makes 1 TD more valuable then 2 FG.  

The racial stuff I understand but the no more crossbar dunks and the PAT's are completely stupid I really hate goodell he is an **.

So you really think Goodell makes these changes all on his own?  He has 32 bosses that sway and advise every thing he does. Goodell is a well paid mouthpiece that does exactly as told. He is paid to take any heat from the naysayers such as yourself. 

To put your body at risk for the thrill of being stupid is something players shouldn't want to do.

I remember Hollywood Henderson dunking over the goal post in the 70's. This isnt new

Has there a reported case of an injury due to dunking a football over the goal post?

The Navarro Bowman rule was a rule where I said "about time".

The PATs, unless you are playing outside in December and January, it will matter less in the earlier months, IMO. Besides, like Belichick was segmented as saying "this rule is an unintended consequence of us not allowing to overload, not line up over center, not using two guards to push one guy etc.". So, basically the NFL realized that they have made the PAT a 99.6% play, so they will try and make it an approximately 80% play with all the other restrictions still in place. :) I agree with Belichick here, this rule is a farce and is an indirect admission from the NFL that they made the PAT an insignificant play over the years with all the extra rules for special teams.

Taunting - I am really curious to see whether they penalize guys in high intensity situations like a Sherman vs Crabtree, or Roddy White vs Sherman or a Steve Smith vs Talib etc. - only time will tell.

Goalpost height increase - Jeff Fisher said that they had brought in some scientific analysis and studied that adding 5 feet won't add to the weight nearly as much as 10 or 15 feet would that some owners wanted and would still keep it stable, hence they agreed on the 5 feet increase.

The dunk.. I don't really see the need, but it won't really make much of a difference to me.

PAT - Great.

Slurs - Hmm.. It's never okay. But what about all the other kind of slurs? Seems more about political correctness than anything else.

I think The Hoodie had a point with regards to all plays being subject to challenge. Seems like a strange rule that some refereeing errors, no matter how obvious, can't be challenged, while others can.

The players are paid to be entertainers. As long as it isn't ridiculously over the top, then I believe you would see a good percentage of people find the end zone celebrations as entertaining. We, as fans, embrace these celebrations when we find them appropriate. I know Colts fans that copy TY's arm gestures when he scores. Jimmy Graham and previously Gonzalez like to dunk the ball. I don't believe they're acting stupid, just enjoying a moment by celebrating. I'm not saying that players should have to celebrate, but they should have the option to.

The dunk one is obvious... last year Jimmy Graham caused a delay of game by dunking the goal post and tilting it out of alignment.  The media and fans would have a FRENZY if someone dunked a goal post and shifted it out of alignment, and then missed a subsequent field goal by hitting then crossbar or something as well.

It affects the boundaries of the game that determine points, so it had to be removed.  Period.

That one is very easy to understand and get behind.  The PATs from the 20 will be very interesting... its really going to make teams think twice about going for a field goal in less than perfect elements for an extra point when they could attempt a 2pt conversion from 3 yards out.

The raising of the cross bars is just logical as well..  people are hitting it higher than the crossbars, which makes officiating extra points and field goals moer difficult and can create controversial calls (IE the Patriots vs Ravens AFCCG where the ball literally went OVER the bar)..  It takes these types of calls out of the officials hands and lets physics and the field goal posts be the ultimate decider of whether a field goal is good or not.  Excellent rule, very easy to get behind.

the sluts thing.. i dunno, its obviously not appropriate, but at the same time these are grown men that are paid millions to try and get into each others heads...  maybe it was going a little over the top out on the field with guys throwing around racial slurs to get under peoples skin.. but to me, if you let someone saying racial slurs affect you and yuor multi million dollar profession then maybe you're not mentally tough enough for the sport that pays you that kind of money.

The dunk.. I don't really see the need, but it won't really make much of a difference to me.

PAT - Great.

Slurs - Hmm.. It's never okay. But what about all the other kind of slurs? Seems more about political correctness than anything else.

I think The Hoodie had a point with regards to all plays being subject to challenge. Seems like a strange rule that some refereeing errors, no matter how obvious, can't be challenged, while others can.

I agree with you in all but the all reviewable plays rule. Personally, this rule is intended for one purpose: challenging possession on pile ups for loose balls. I love that this is not a challengeable situation. With loose balls, specifically fumble recoveries, one could subjectively determine possession several times throughout the same play. Guys tussle for the ball in the bottom of a pile, with any person in possession being down by contact at any point. It's a judgement call and should be left as such. Let the Men play, and the boys can watch. Fight for possession and let the refs sort out the scuffle. Challenges in these situations would place more scrutiny on players and refs. Let it be. It adds an element of excitement for fans and competitiveness for players.

#1- Its not basketball. #2- It slows the game down when the crossbar has to be realigned and leveled. With the addition of 5 more feet the goalposts will be even more top heavy.

The crossbars have literally only been realligned twice in league history from dunking.

I remember Hollywood Henderson dunking over the goal post in the 70's. This isnt new

Has there a reported case of an injury due to dunking a football over the goal post?

The risk is very real. I originally thought they should leave this rule alone, but if that crossbar comes all the way down, it could be a disaster. 

if Shaq is dunking on it maybe

NFL players are closer to Shaq's size now than they have been before. Bigger and more powerful. All this time, no one has ever bent the crossbar. Now Jimmy Graham has done it twice. Can't just ignore the risk.

I don't know about banning it. But I understand the decision.

NFL players are closer to Shaq's size now than they have been before. Bigger and more powerful. All this time, no one has ever bent the crossbar. Now Jimmy Graham has done it twice. Can't just ignore the risk.

I don't know about banning it. But I understand the decision.

i have yet to see a goal post come down

A year ago, you had yet to see one tipped.

I'm not a fan of the rule, but I don't know why you're defiantly ignoring the risk.

I have a hard time believing a multi billion dollar business can't design a goal post that has zero potential of coming down with a 300 pound man hanging from it

Slurs. Playground name calling. Meh.

PATs - TD's = 7pts (thus better than 2 x GF's). Scrap them altogether.

Dunking. Grown men shouldn't need to act like kids, but I'd let them do what they like, but if they push the posts out of alignment, 10 yard pen, loss of down. That should see if it's worth it.