Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we have kept Bethea?

Dark Superman

At first, letting him walk didn't seem as bad as it does now. The guy rarely missed a game and was just a solid player.. Not to mention a good leader and a fan favorite.

I mean maybe we should have kept him around for 5-6 million a year. With there not bring many options in free agency, as well as us not having a first round draft pick..

Just maybe we should have tried a little harder to keep him around..

Per Roto:

Signed a four-year, $21 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. Bethea is eligible for an annual $400,000 in per-game roster bonuses throughout the contract's life. He gets another $100,000 per year in annual workout bonuses. Another $750,000 is available through incentives. 2014: $1.25 million, 2015: $3 million, 2016: $4.5 million, 2017: $5.25 million, 2018: Free Agent

That's going to be a lot of money in 2016 and 2017 for a 31/32 year old safety whose coverage skills have declined.  He's a great tackler, a fan favourite, and a good leader.  But his coverage skills have declined.  I would have liked to see him stay, but not at that price.  If they play him at SS, then perhaps it's worth it since he's very instinctive and a good tackler.  Reid is listed as FS, but he is also a really good tackler, so I'm not sure what their plans are for him and Bethea

I suspect we made an offer....

But SF's offer was much, much bigger and Bethea felt he couldn't turn that down.   And frankly, with those $$$ he couldn't turn

it down.

Sometimes one team will value a player more than another.    And neither team is wrong.

Good luck to Antoine in SF......

I suspect we made an offer....

But SF's offer was much, much bigger and Bethea felt he couldn't turn that down.   And frankly, with those $$$ he couldn't turn

it down.

Sometimes one team will value a player more than another.    And neither team is wrong.

Good luck to Antoine in SF......

I thought I read that he said we didn't, but could be wrong.

I thought I read that he said we didn't, but could be wrong.

You maybe entirely right.   

I just guessed we would because I thought Grigson had made very nice comments about Bethea in January and February about wanting to bring him and Davis back.

So, I'm assuming we would've at least made an offer. 

I'd rather have Bethea than Landry but I don't want both and frankly Landry already had the long term deal so it made sense to let Bethea walk. 

Pretty much this.

I love Bethea, probably more than most, but I think it was time for him to move on. He and Landry were too similar and Landry just makes more sense long term.

I hope he does well in San Fran.

The little I saw of Howell last year I saw potential. Would not be against giving him a year as a starter to see if he can progress into a solid starter. Imo Bethea leaving will be a blessing in disguise. As much as I love him as one of he many NFL players from my area(He grew up 20 mins from me) it was just time.

Per Roto:

Signed a four-year, $21 million contract. The deal included a $5 million signing bonus. Bethea is eligible for an annual $400,000 in per-game roster bonuses throughout the contract's life. He gets another $100,000 per year in annual workout bonuses. Another $750,000 is available through incentives. 2014: $1.25 million, 2015: $3 million, 2016: $4.5 million, 2017: $5.25 million, 2018: Free Agent

That's going to be a lot of money in 2016 and 2017 for a 31/32 year old safety whose coverage skills have declined.  He's a great tackler, a fan favourite, and a good leader.  But his coverage skills have declined.  I would have liked to see him stay, but not at that price.  If they play him at SS, then perhaps it's worth it since he's very instinctive and a good tackler.  Reid is listed as FS, but he is also a really good tackler, so I'm not sure what their plans are for him and Bethea

He'll never see the 4rd year as he's scheduled to make 7 mill and only about a mill in cap hit to cut him. Even the 3rd year is questionable as they save about 4 mill if he's released. Pretty much a two year deal .

No, He had more value to San Fran because they needed a Safety that could come up and play the run, Thats Betheas strength, We already have that in Landry. We dont need 2 run stopping Safeties, we need a Cover Safety....Thats by far not Betheas strong point

No, He had more value to San Fran because they needed a Safety that could come up and play the run, Thats Betheas strength, We already have that in Landry. We dont need 2 run stopping Safeties, we need a Cover Safety....Thats by far not Betheas strong point

Exactly Gavin. Exactly. 

If I had to pick one to keep, it would have been Bethea.  To me people saying that Bethea is on the decline is because who he has played with the last 2 seasons.  Zibby and Landry did not compliment him.  I think we overpaid for Landry, but I hope he does better this year.

The thing is. If Howell (or who-ever will replace Bethea) plays two weeks or so mediocre, this forum will scream for Bethea.

People on here sometimes won't allow players to evolve before screaming for a replacement, and if the guy needs to settle and eventually could be really good, it could require patience.

I'm up for it...