Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilfork asks to be released. [Merge]

Dustin

#Patriots Pro Bowl DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

March 13, 2014

Seriously, I was on Twitter refreshing constantly and as soon as the Wilfork news broke I came here immediately and you already had it posted. Either I have ridiculous lag in my internet or you ARE THE MATRIX, *Gasp*

if he would sign for vet min, he would stay in new England

Right on. He still wants to make some dough and he should. He is probably looking at 3mil at best. I still think he may end up with the Pats. Would hate to see him end up on the Browns like McGinest did.

If the situation is untenable then they should work a trade out for him. I'm guessing he'd be welcomed in Houston (Crennel is there now), maybe Buffalo (Pepper Johnson is there now)... the Patriots won't get much but they'll get something.

Jones, Wilfork. Redding with RJF, Chapman, Moala and Hughes as depth.

D-line would get to much push. Then having Mathis and Werner rushing...

Grigson... make it happen!

Not so fast, report is unconfirmed and it's just a report that he asked to be released.  

Grigson can't move or consider moving until he actually hits the market.

If the situation is untenable then they should work a trade out for him. I'm guessing he'd be welcomed in Houston (Crennel is there now), maybe Buffalo (Pepper Johnson is there now)... the Patriots won't get much but they'll get something.

With a base salary of 7.5 million the team trading for him would have to assume?  I doubt they'd get much of anything, really.

With a base salary of 7.5 million the team trading for him would have to assume?  I doubt they'd get much of anything, really.

You're probably right... I guess I'm just thinking that if they lose him, it's better to get anything they can for him. Even one of those 7th round picks Bill loves so much.  ;)

Brad Wells literally said we could release RJF or Redding to sign Wilfork. haha wow that guy is so stupid. Think I'd rather look at BJ Raji might even be cheaper and he's 27

A torn achilles tendon is serious business, it's even more serious when the player is closer to 400 pounds than 300 pounds.

On the radio they were saying a logical landing place for Vince is Buffalo with Peppers who was our Dline coach. They were real tight apparently. Wonder if Peppers outreached to him which is why he is asking for his release.

I hate to correct a Pats fan, but I think Peppers is still playing and you might mean Pepper Johnson.

Ha. Yes Pepper. No "s."  Too much going on today. My head is spinning. The Boston media is worse than a sewing circle with the gossip. :)

The Boston media called the former coach Pepper Johnson "Peppers"?  Wow, that borders on incompetence!

One of the top NTS before his ACL tear last season. If he could come cheap I'd be okay with it.

Reported by Shefter and other sorces on twitter (on my phone cant link it)

It wasnt an ACL tear, it was a ruptured achilles tendon... on a 330+ lb nose tackle whos 33 years old..  Hes been one of the top 3 at his position for a long time, but there is a very big question mark as to his ability to come back from an injury like that when you're as heavy as he is and playing in a very physically demanding position like NT.

It wuold break my heart to see Vince move on, but he has a huge cap hit and is too much of a question mark at this point to pay that kind of money to him at 33 years old.  This is the sad reality of the salary cap era, at some point you have to move on from your heroes so that you can reallocate money to younger super stars that will be the pillars of your franchise for the next 5+ years

It wasnt an ACL tear, it was a ruptured achilles tendon... on a 330+ lb nose tackle whos 33 years old..  Hes been one of the top 3 at his position for a long time, but there is a very big question mark as to his ability to come back from an injury like that when you're as heavy as he is and playing in a very physically demanding position like NT.

It wuold break my heart to see Vince move on, but he has a huge cap hit and is too much of a question mark at this point to pay that kind of money to him at 33 years old.  This is the sad reality of the salary cap era, at some point you have to move on from your heroes so that you can reallocate money to younger super stars that will be the pillars of your franchise for the next 5+ years

Well said but apparently the Red Sox are not on board with this concept according to Ortiz who said he "still has to carry the load" at 38. I love him for the drama this time of year.