Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos sign Ware

Colts_Fan12

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....they land a MLB and that team can say they check off everything on their list. I assume they will look at their other needs in the draft and probably a wr in the first or second rd. That was important signing because he fits PERFECTLY what they want to do...pairing him with Miller will be a big improvement for their pass rush...and with Potroast and Williams and Knighton and if Wolfe comes back healthy...thats a formidable DL.

I dont get how the broncos have so much cap with peyton's contract

They cut Champ Bailey's 10 million dollar contract....they had 16 before that. They also have people like DT and JT and Miller on rookie contracts...its win now baby...plus if they want to save another 5 million...cut Tamme and Driessan...with JT and Virgil Green no reason to hang on to these guys...that money can go to some LB and more secondary help.

Wow that's a lot more then I thought they would pay for him.

Guess they plan on filling other needs through the draft.  

They almost had as much as we did after cutting Champ...but they still have a couple people they can cut like their #3 and #4 TEs Driessan and Tamme and save another 5-6 million. And this draft seems strong at WR and OL which is what I would expect them to target. They also re-signed Caldwell for like 2yrs 3 million and he played well last year spotting Welker.

They almost had as much as we did after cutting Champ...but they still have a couple people they can cut like their #3 and #4 TEs Driessan and Tamme and save another 5-6 million. And this draft seems strong at WR and OL which is what I would expect them to target. They also re-signed Caldwell for like 2yrs 3 million and he played well last year spotting Welker.

You think they will make Welker their #2 and Caldwell the slot/#3 guy?

I will say there isn't any question they got worse at receiver.  However they got a lot better on defense assuming Talib stays healthy.  

They cut Champ Bailey's 10 million dollar contract....they had 16 before that. They also have people like DT and JT and Miller on rookie contracts...its win now baby...plus if they want to save another 5 million...cut Tamme and Driessan...with JT and Virgil Green no reason to hang on to these guys...that money can go to some LB and more secondary help.

Yeah but they have to pay all of their rookies next year right? So if they don't win the SB next season, they're pretty much screwed.

I will say there isn't any question they got worse at receiver.  However they got a lot better on defense assuming Talib stays healthy.  

Welker stays in the slot...they just use Caldwell on the outside. When Welker was out he played that and they used Decker in the slot a lot last year. He played well last year...he is just insurance as he knows the system. I look for them to draft a rookie in the second rd and Peyton work his magic. They did downgrade their offense...but lets be honest...that isn't a problem if they upgraded their defense this much. They won't have to score EVERY time they have the ball. Look for PM numbers around 2012 38-40tds instead of 55....but they will be just as good if not better in the W/L category.

I will say there isn't any question they got worse at receiver. However they got a lot better on defense assuming Talib stays healthy.

Last I checked, defense wasn't the problem. What was the score in the super bowl again. I forgot, anyone know?

Welker stays in the slot...they just use Caldwell on the outside. When Welker was out he played that and they used Decker in the slot a lot last year. He played well last year...he is just insurance as he knows the system. I look for them to draft a rookie in the second rd and Peyton work his magic. They did downgrade their offense...but lets be honest...that isn't a problem if they upgraded their defense this much. They won't have to score EVERY time they have the ball. Look for PM numbers around 2012 38-40tds instead of 55....but they will be just as good if not better in the W/L category.

Only thing I'm worried about is whatever receiver they draft.  Is he gonna be able to learn the Manning system in time to start or play a lot of snaps?

Yeah but they have to pay all of their rookies next year right? So if they don't win the SB next season, they're pretty much screwed.

They have money for that...Elway isn't dumb..they will keep their guys and they will have a 2-3 yr window with Peyton..after that yes they will drop off but not because they can't re-sign guys but because of the drop off in qb play. Essentially....the money they were giving Champ went to Talib.....DRC money went to Ward...and they've let go of Decker for an upgrade on defense in Ware. They aren't cap strapped...they have managed their cap well and this is the reward...some people don't understand that.

Only thing I'm worried about is whatever receiver they draft.  Is he gonna be able to learn the Manning system in time to start or play a lot of snaps?

Mathews?? There are some....not saying they become a #1 threat but to fill the void of Decker....rookie plus Caldwell....they can make enough plays.

So if they don't win the super bowl this year, I believe it's safe to say Peyton should just retire

Why? He will put up one of the great seasons by a QB yet again and he can play four more years if want to and I think he will want to exactly that. Put those QB records onto another level that will take a long time for someone to match. He also has a chance to get to the SB another time or two and be better placed to win it. Peyton love the game. He is having a great time.

I will say there isn't any question they got worse at receiver.

Not a chance in hell of Welker playing anywhere but in the slot. He is exceptional in the slot and I doubt that it would translate. Swap them and you've downgraded two positions instead of one.

But I'd also be astonished if Caldwell didn't put up similar numbers to Decker - who was essentially the offenses FIFTH option. How much could they realistically pay him? A high"ish" draft pick for depth (and the future), and perhaps a cheap vet just in case should be all that's needed.

On offense, the oline is more of an issue. Curious to see how they adjust for Beadles, and concerned a bit about depth. Also concerned that about Hillman needing to step up. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson becomes the #2 back.

Last I checked, defense wasn't the problem. What was the score in the super bowl again. I forgot, anyone know?

Seattle scored every time they had the ball. Defense was the problem. Offensively they got better by not resigning beadles. Clady will be back healthy and franklin will go inside. Only concern is clark at RT. Decker was a non-factor as wr#2 so they can only improve not get worse there.

Why? He will put up one of the great seasons by a QB yet again and he can play four more years if want to and I think he will want to exactly that. Put those QB records onto another level that will take a long time for someone to match. He also has a chance to get to the SB another time or two and be better placed to win it. Peyton love the game. He is having a great time.

Peyton isn't winning another super bowl. I believe last year was the window of opportunity for him and their offense blew it. I believe that window is now closed

Seattle scored every time they had the ball. Defense was the problem. Offensively they got better by not resigning beadles. Clady will be back healthy and franklin will go inside. Only concern is clark at RT. Decker was a non-factor as wr#2 so they can only improve not get worse there.

Seattle kicked field goals after Peyton gave the defense bad field position! Defense didn't lose that game for them. You can only stop a team so much. Your offense has to score or help you eventually or yes you will get blown out. Denver's "historic" offense loss that game on the first snap of the game with the overhead snap. Everyone can see that offense was never the same after that

Did they not win two games in the post season?

Defense carried them. The way they man-handled Tom Brady & co. was unreal. Granted Tom did blow two throws that should've went for big gains/touchdowns.

But even in that game that historic offense struggled. Wasn't until Welker took out Talib that they got hot. My point being: I don't understand these defensive signings/splurging when offense was the downfall of the Broncos last year

Not a chance in hell of Welker playing anywhere but in the slot. He is exceptional in the slot and I doubt that it would translate. Swap them and you've downgraded two positions instead of one.

But I'd also be astonished if Caldwell didn't put up similar numbers to Decker - who was essentially the offenses FIFTH option. How much could they realistically pay him? A high"ish" draft pick for depth (and the future), and perhaps a cheap vet just in case should be all that's needed.

On offense, the oline is more of an issue. Curious to see how they adjust for Beadles, and concerned a bit about depth. Also concerned that about Hillman needing to step up. I wouldn't be surprised if Anderson becomes the #2 back.

Hillman will have to step up but definately Anderson is the #2...they really like him. Ball looked ready by the end of the year. They should be fine at wr with Caldwell+rookie.

As for OL. CLADY LT-FRANKLIN LG- RAMIREZ C-VAZQUEZ RG-CLARK RT  I think they actually consider that an upgrade for them. They get pro bowl LT and they think Clark is a natural RT. They also wanted to move Franklin inside last year before Clady's injury. They will add some depth but I think they consider their line this year better than last (if healthy*** we all know all great plans can be undone by injuries).

Yes.  Not to rehash the Manning-or-Luck debate, but the problems back then were the contracts of Freeney, Clark, Brackett, and the kelvin Hayden leftovers, not really the Peyton contract.  You can field a decent team with his contract

The difference here is that Elway is smart enough to cut his worthless verterans and Polian would have not, as well as not having any good rookies due to poor drafting.

Denver isn't getting away with anything, Elway is just making better decisions than Polian did.