Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think the Colts make 1 more "big move"

needanoline63

With anywhere between 17 and 19 Million left the colts if they spend that money wisely could get 2 more high profile players and I could live with that right now it wouldn't hurt for them to go get their new center now and get their new safety in the draft but also I know one thing about Landry all those years he was a pro-bowl safety he at FS not SS so in the draft get a new SS and move him to FS also grab a FS too just in case moving Landry does no good. Thoughts.

With anywhere between 17 and 19 Million left the colts if they spend that money wisely could get 2 more high profile players and I could live with that right now it wouldn't hurt for them to go get their new center now and get their new safety in the draft but also I know one thing about Landry all those years he was a pro-bowl safety he at FS not SS so in the draft get a new SS and move him to FS also grab a FS too just in case moving Landry does no good. Thoughts.

I think that's a great example of a run on sentence. 

The Colts do not have to spend the remaining amount of what's left in the cap.  They can stop right now and reserve that amount for the next couple seasons when they have to re-sign a bunch of young players.

If we only have one more "big move", I would say it would have to be a new starting safety.  The top four safeties are Landry, Delano Howell, David Sims, and Sergio Brown.  Even if we can land someone like Terrence Brooks or Jimmy Ward in the 2nd round, we'd be deficient at safety...

I think that's a great example of a run on sentence. 

The Colts do not have to spend the remaining amount of what's left in the cap.  They can stop right now and reserve that amount for the next couple seasons when they have to re-sign a bunch of young players.

If we're going to spend that money in the coming years, why not spend it on a few one or two year contracts like we did with Bradshaw?  We can spend all of the money while still having it available the next couple years as well.  I would hate to see money just sitting there while we could be adding some depth at the very least.

If we're going to spend that money in the coming years, why not spend it on a few one or two year contracts like we did with Bradshaw?  We can spend all of the money while still having it available the next couple years as well.  I would hate to see money just sitting there while we could be adding some depth at the very least.

That makes sense, if you're actually getting true depth.  We all think we need a S, but is there a FA left that can beat out Howell?  That list is pretty thin right now.  I'm not sure DeCloud or Lewis are any better.

Center is the one position that we can possibly bring in a starter, as far as I can tell.  I really don't see a G out there worth the money.

If we're spending good money, it better be for a starter.   I agree with you, anyone we sign now is probably going to be for a two year contract.  (Unless we break the bank for Mack)

Under the new CBA, don't we have to spend the money? I thought when they say "save money", they mean how they structure the contracts moving forward. I'm asking more than trying to tell.

One has to spend at least 89% of the salary cap money in contracts and cash combined, when the season starts, it goes something like that in the new CBA.

I personally still see us bringing at least 2 if not 3 more people.  Maybe nothing high profile, but we are not done in FA.  We still have some needs that can be filled by proven players in FA.  Drafting is always nice, but most of those players rarely make an impact to first year.

Based on overthecap.com's analysis of our Pre Davis cap space being 27.5 and assuming a cap hit for Davis at 9 million, we should have around 18.5 million in cap space left which means we should have the space for 2 big signings easily.  

Another thing to remember is that we have very few draft picks including no first round picks.  So we don't actually need much cap space this year to sign our draft picks.  

One has to spend at least 89% of the salary cap money in contracts and cash combined, when the season starts, it goes something like that in the new CBA.

Chad, I believe that's an average amount over a number of years (4?). So you can actually go over or under that percentage in a given year. As long as you adjust in that time frame.

If we only have one more "big move", I would say it would have to be a new starting safety.  The top four safeties are Landry, Delano Howell, David Sims, and Sergio Brown.  Even if we can land someone like Terrence Brooks or Jimmy Ward in the 2nd round, we'd be deficient at safety...

I don't dispute that it would be wise to try and improve safety in free agency, but we could probably say that about the center position too, where the only apparent candidate on our roster right now is a 3rd round pick going into his second season with virtually no playing time. Let's hope we can get both addressed somehow.

Freeman and Mathis are free agents next year, and the stellar 2012 draft class will be free agents the year after that, so I feel it would be wise to make sure we aren't going to be low on cap when we need to pay those players.

The cap raised 10 million dollars this yr. and is expected to go up 15 more million next season and be over 160 million by 2016. Money shouldn't be a problem when its time to re-up some of our guys. Highly unlikely Mathis will be re-signed next yr. anyway.

Huh? Why?  

He's going to be 34 yrs. old. He's going to be hard pressed to find many teams(including the Colts) to give him anymore than a 1 or 2 yr. deal. I know we haven't seen it yet, but eventually age is gonna catch up with him and it will be much sooner than later. The question is...do the Colts want him around and paying him good money when age catches up with him? I'm guessing...probably not!

I think C and WR are the two.  Grigs has signed a vet low risk inexpensive WR in each of his two seasons, so I think another will come.  I wouldn't mind James Jones, if the money is right.  Nobody is paying WRs yet, so that market is murky.  And C should be a vet, needs to be, I think.  I'm not as concerned about S.  But that as a third vet signing before being done would be nice. 

The cap raised 10 million dollars this yr. and is expected to go up 15 more million next season and be over 160 million by 2016. Money shouldn't be a problem when its time to re-up some of our guys. Highly unlikely Mathis will be re-signed next yr. anyway.

Mathis will be a Colt until he retires. He won't get elite pass rusher money any more though. He'll sign a 3 year deal for 20$M or so. 

Mathis will be a Colt until he retires. He won't get elite pass rusher money any more though. He'll sign a 3 year deal for 20$M or so.

Yeah, people said that about Manning and Freeney too. There is no way we re-sign Mathis for 3 more yrs. for almost 7 mil. A yr.. Absolutely will not happen.

Yeah, people said that about Manning and Freeney too. There is no way we re-sign Mathis for 3 more yrs. for almost 7 mil. A yr.. Absolutely will not happen.

Well, Manning got paid 20M$ to be a broken neck cheer leader, AND we had the 1st pick in the draft. If we were picking 15, Manning would still be a Colt. Freeney had a down year and didn't transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB very well. He was too expensive to put him in a position he didn't play well. Mathis on the other hand, is coming off his best year yet, and it's NOT a contract year. My last point, if DeMarcus Ware is worth 3 year/30M$ guaranteed at 32 years old, Mathis at 34 will be worth 6-7M$ a year, assuming he has a productive season (10 sacks)

We kept another situational pass rusher in the final year of his contract for 14 mill and thats after a year he dealt with injuries, Though maybe you are right and we learned from our mistake there

We kept another situational pass rusher in the final year of his contract for 14 mill and thats after a year he dealt with injuries, Though maybe you are right and we learned from our mistake there

Whats your point? It was a huge mistake and they realized that. They won't do it again.

He's going to be 34 yrs. old. He's going to be hard pressed to find many teams(including the Colts) to give him anymore than a 1 or 2 yr. deal. I know we haven't seen it yet, but eventually age is gonna catch up with him and it will be much sooner than later. The question is...do the Colts want him around and paying him good money when age catches up with him? I'm guessing...probably not!

Mathis is signed thru 2015 and will be 35 at free agency. Maybe that is what you meant, but we won't have any trouble hanging onto him year to year after that if he doesn't retire.  

Assumptions really aren't all that smart to make

What assumption? You don't think they realized holding onto Freeney was a huge mistake? Or are you talking about what I said about Mathis? That wasn't an assumption either. It more or less is common sense. 34 yr. old edge rushers aren't going to get long term deals or big money. We possibly could re-sign him if he would take a 1 yr. deal for decent but not big money.

Mathis is signed thru 2015 and will be 35 at free agency. Maybe that is what you meant, but we won't have any trouble hanging onto him year to year after that if he doesn't retire.

Yeah I was going off what the other guy said that Mathis was a FA after next season. This makes my point even more valid. No way does Mathis re-sign for another 3 yrs. At 35 yrs. Old.