Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts looking at Eric Decker.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, at that point he became their third option. You gotta realize that Peyton Manning can make Blair White look like a pretty solid receiver. It's not that Decker sucks, but 10M a year for an average #2 WR is too much.

And yet he caught 8 tds from Orton/tebow

What is everyone's problem with Decker. The guy is talented and if you think he's only a product of Peyton understand he caught 8 tds when his qbs were orton/tebow

What is everyone's problem with Decker. The guy is talented and if you think he's only a product of Peyton understand he caught 8 tds when his qbs were orton/tebow

Agreed.....he's a quality guy....and we must replace Reggie soon...we have some cap room.......I hope this gets done.

Please God NO! If we don't get a great CB or FS to replace Vontae or Bethea and we instead use that money on a #2 WR I'll be ticked!

Stop..its not the same dollars...we can do both

Please God NO! If we don't get a great CB or FS to replace Vontae or Bethea and we instead use that money on a #2 WR I'll be ticked!

You people act like you know what these players demands are..

Perhaps the Colts offer Decker $8 million annually..

And say the a jets offer him 8.5

Who's to say he wouldn't take a little less to go to a better franchise?

In that case he probably would.  If you are an NFL player and you are looking at your long term future then are you gonna go to a crappy team with bad quarterbacking for an extra half million over a team with a QB who's on the verge of being elite??

In the long run he's better off with the better QB and both he and his agent know that.  Because in 4 or 5 years when he's looking for another contract, perhaps the final one of his career, he's gonna be a lot more likely to get a contract and a better contract at that if he's had several 1000 yard seasons as opposed to a lot less production from having Smith throw him the ball.

I don't know what his market value is and my guess is that it's too rich for my blood, but I guarantee he'd take a slightly smaller salary to play with a better QB and he'd be stupid if he doesn't.  

That having been said I don't think that means we can pay him 5 million while someone else is offering 8.  But if the difference is a mere .5 million then I guarantee he'd take that half million dollar hit to play with a better QB on a more successful team because he knows in the long run that's whats better for him.

If a year and a half with Kyle Orton and a half a year with Tim Tebow then followed by 2 years with Peyton Manning have taught him ANYTHING it's that playing with a good QB can bring you $$$ in the long run.

I do not have a problem with Decker's production, my problem is paying #1 money to a #2 WR.  IMO, we need a #1 WR and Decker is not it.

I do not have a problem with Decker's production, my problem is paying #1 money to a #2 WR.  IMO, we need a #1 WR and Decker is not it.

tell me exactly why decker is not a number 1 wr. size? hes just as big as dez bryant. numbers? hes put up similar numbers to wayne

I would rather have Hakeem Nicks as I stated before for cap reasons. Decker is more talented but he is wanting #1 receiver money and he is no where worth $8 million a year. 

I'd put Nicks at $3-4M per year and Decker at $5-6M per year on equal footing for what I'd like.

I think the former is more likely.

Yeah, at that point he became their third option. You gotta realize that Peyton Manning can make Blair White look like a pretty solid receiver. It's not that Decker sucks, but 10M a year for an average #2 WR is too much.

he aint getting that. if anything i have been reading that he hasnt been highly demmanded.

I'd put Nicks at $3-4M per year and Decker at $5-6M per year on equal footing for what I'd like.

I think the former is more likely.

i agree i cant see decker getting more than 7 millions a year.

And i also preffer Nicks, tough there is a injury history.

Personality wise, i thnk decker is a better fit and we have seen the colts value that a lot.

I totally had forgotten why I originally disliked him. He is a tool who complains and looks for a flag after any play he doesn't catch the ball. I don't want that on the team.

Yep this and his hands are questionable.

Please no. Just draft a receiver early. It gives you time to. Decker would have to be paid soon and it would make re-signing the 2012 guys difficult. At least with a rookie, you can put him on a rookie contract and only have to pay him pocket change for 3 years.

And you would get the performance that pocket change would buy. Decker is a need. He is a big strong physical WR, something we do not have. I know many are worried about the money but if you put all of your eggs in Reggie Wayne's basket, that rookie receiver may have to start and get thrown to the wolves. Decker is a proven commodity and he is still young.

How do you get to be a number one receiver? You go to a team like the Colts who do not have one. I have seen some say he is an average #2 and that just isn't so. He finds the end zone and he gets open.

Signing Eric Decker scares me.  The dude was on an all-star cast with the best QB in the league throwing to him.  Yeah he held his own, but that's a lot different than asking the guy to be your #1.  He has bust written all over him - and by bust, I mean, not living up to his contract.  $10 million on average is pretty difficult to live up to for any WR not named Calvin Johnson.

And you would get the performance that pocket change would buy. Decker is a need. He is a big strong physical WR, something we do not have. I know many are worried about the money but if you put all of your eggs in Reggie Wayne's basket, that rookie receiver may have to start and get thrown to the wolves. Decker is a proven commodity and he is still young.

Receiver is plug and play though. Look how good T.Y. Hilton has been and his rookie deal was only worth $2 million. Or look at Keenan Allen on the Chargers. He's given them great value and he's only a rookie. The point being, that if you draft a good WR early, it pays dividends early most of the time. And if it doesn't it's okay because you know they'll get better. A FA doesn't pan out and you're out of a good amount of money that could've gone to another player. Rodgers was thrown into the Wolves and he did just fine

Plus WR's are notorious for commanding high level contracts when they hit FA. Everyone wants number 1 receiver money.

Receiver is plug and play though. Look how good T.Y. Hilton has been and his rookie deal was only worth $2 million. Or look at Keenan Allen on the Chargers. He's given them great value and he's only a rookie. The point being, that if you draft a good WR early, it pays dividends early most of the time. And if it doesn't it's okay because you know they'll get better. A FA doesn't pan out and you're out of a good amount of money that could've gone to another player. Rodgers was thrown into the Wolves and he did just fine

Plus WR's are notorious for commanding high level contracts when they hit FA. Everyone wants number 1 receiver money.

Drafting a receiver is 50/50 just like every other position. Yes, you would save money but Decker is a proven player and there would be no guess work with him. You would be signing a known star. Also, you would be taking something away from a team you have to go through to get to the Super Bowl.

I think Decker to the Patriots (asterisk)* makes the most sense now. ;)

And I like the idea of them paying #1 WR money to #2 WR talent.

Just heard on NFLN that we still are showing strong interest in him. I really hope they don't sign him and ruin my FA vibe

How do you get to be a number one receiver? You go to a team like the Colts who do not have one. I have seen some say he is an average #2 and that just isn't so. He finds the end zone and he gets open.

So do TE's and that does not make TEs #1 WRs.  Speed and size has nothing to do with being a #1 WR.  IMO, it has to do with getting open no matter what and catching a majority of the balls thrown your way.

We have a need at wr. Whether we go this route will likely depend on what the asking price is. I imagine if he is looking at around 7 million a year we would be very interested. I would think that would be where his value lies. A team like Jacksonville or Oakland would probably offer like 8 but I would think they wouldn't be his first options. Whatever the talk is he is a very good receiver...he isn't elite/take-over game kinda guy but he makes big plays and can run all the routes. You can move him all over and he makes contested catches. For a team like ours you don't need a #1 receiver...when you have talent like TY and Reggie and Allen and Fleener a team that spreads the ball around that fits exactly what Decker is. He probably isn't your first option on every play...but he can be on a number of them and he is a big target. I wouldn't mind having a guy like him on the team...he is hard working...not a problem...getting better every year...and scores TDs. He blocks well and does the little things like return punts if you need that...guy is a team player. If the price is fine..I'm on board. Those that pretend to know what he is asking have no clue....no numbers have been linked to him. I would suspect he would look at numbers around what Dwane Bowe got...give or take the situation he would be playing in and contract length.

Decker is physical? Lol