Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The *OFFICIAL* no more WR thread...

bap1331

Dear Irsay and Grigson,

Please no more attempts to get a wide receiver. We have enough talent to get this corps going. Please focus on a solid defense and a good offensive line. Look at the Seahawks and what their Defense did for them.

Signed,

All Colts fans

P.S.

Started this thread before we get any talks about getting a free agent wide receiver...(*cough* Sidney Rice *cough*)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this this and this. 

I don't want a WR, we don't need one. We got Reggie, Hilton, Rogers, Brazill, Whalen. That's a good core in my opinion and will continue to grow and get better with the offseason(especially Da'rick). 

Focus on that D and O-line. Draft Defense, FA a Center(doesn't have to be Mack, just someone formidable).

But, you're not the Hawks and you'll likely never win the way they do. So why try to be something you're not? Wayne is an older guy, coming off a serious injury. I think they should absolutely try to score a guy like Decker.

Dear Irsay and Grigson,

Please no more attempts to get a wide receiver. We have enough talent to get this corps going. Please focus on a solid defense and a good offensive line. Look at the Seahawks and what their Defense did for them.

Signed,

All Colts fans

P.S.

Started this thread before we get any talks about getting a free agent wide receiver...(*cough* Sidney Rice *cough*)

Well I can tell you that you don't speak for all Colts fans. While I agree that I would like the Colts to mainly stick to defense in the draft, it would be stupid to ignore drafting a good wide receiver if one fell to us in the draft.

Say Jordan Matthews is there, if the front office says nah we don't need him because we have Reggie Wayne (who is coming off a torn ACL and probably has two more years left). That is just short sided thinking because we are probably good enough for THIS year.

I don't think that we shouldn't look at receiver, just that as mentioned above, we have other more pressing needs. However, if we are able to bring in someone through FA who can compete and beat out any of the receivers that we currently have on the roster, then I don't see why we wouldn't do that. Let's upgrade every position that we can.

GMs don't focus on one side of the ball, and they don't refuse to acknowledge any corner of the roster. Not good GMs, anyway. The whole "we don't need a WR, we need defense" aspect is absurd. The reality is that a GM can look to improve multiple spots on the roster at once, and that's part of being a good GM.

So I hope Grigson isn't as short-sighted as some of our fans our. Reggie Wayne is 35, coming back from a significant knee injury (anyone remember the last time we had a great receiver in his late 30s suffer a knee injury?) Da'Rick Rogers is unproven; there are ten times as many failures from players in his situation than there are success stories. Griff Whalen and LaVon Brazill are ordinary, at best. Our WR corps struggled mightily at times last season. Even if they are better next year, how much longer can we rely on Wayne? What if Brazill gets suspended again?

Something Bill Polian said at the end of the 2011 season was that our roster needed young playmakers at virtually every position. Grigson has done a good job adding young guys who can grow and develop. But you don't sit on your laurels. And in a year or two, our roster will look different, especially at WR (Brazill and Whalen are not long term roster options, and Rogers might not be either). If we have the opportunity to add a young playmaker at WR in the draft, it makes sense to do so. It might not be the highest priority, but hopefully our priorities look different after FA.

Dear Irsay and Grigson,

Signed,

All Colts fans

P.S.

I really cant buy into the concept of not getting another WR if a good one were avalible. It normally takes a new WR 2 to 3 years in the NFL before becoming an impact player. Wayne is coming off a knee injury and is coming to the end of his playing time. The Colts do not have the personnel that the Seahawks have so comparing the 2 is useless. You took the liberty of signing this thread from All Colts Fans. P.S.- I do not need you to speak for all Colt fans, thank you.

But, you're not the Hawks and you'll likely never win the way they do. So why try to be something you're not? Wayne is an older guy, coming off a serious injury. I think they should absolutely try to score a guy like Decker.

You really want Decker? I mean he's a great player, but the amount of money he will demand is too much for him. I view him as this year's Mike Wallace. He'll get overpaid and overvalued just because he's had an amazing two years with Peyton and he's the top FA WR.. I really think Decker is highly overrated. I just can't see Decker improving our offense to the extent that it would be worth the money. I'd much rather draft one in the 2nd/3rd and get one for cheap and spend the money elsewhere(O-line/Defense). 

Signed "All Colts Fans"... Did I sign up to something when drunk again?!

Also please...please... Google the definition of official.

Back on topic... There are bigger needs than WR but if you think we're 100% set your glasses are a little too blue tinted, this is a nice WR draft, if one drops even down in the lower rounds why not take one?

You really want Decker? I mean he's a great player, but the amount of money he will demand is too much for him. I view him as this year's Mike Wallace. He'll get overpaid and overvalued just because he's had an amazing two years with Peyton and he's the top FA WR.. I really think Decker is highly overrated. I just can't see Decker improving our offense to the extent that it would be worth the money. I'd much rather draft one in the 2nd/3rd and get one for cheap and spend the money elsewhere(O-line/Defense). 

You could not have picked a worse example. Decker and Wallace are the exact opposite types of player. Decker is a much more complete receiver and for a team with a good QB he would be around for a long time. 

Dear Irsay and Grigson,

Signed,

All Colts fans

P.S.

I am still waiting for the one thread you start when I say - "you know what?  Bap is onto something here."  This ain't it.  The # of ways this is just simply wrong is staggering yet completely expected.

I think Decker is better than Wallace, and would be worth the money. But I don't think we should give it to him. Especially not with the options that are available in the draft.

Dear Irsay and Grigson,

Signed,

All Colts fans

P.S.

I don't agree at all at not needing one, while I don't think it's the biggest need, it's still a need nonetheless

Reggie: Older player, coming off knee injury, can't rely on him being Elite forever and being around forever

T.Y. Hilton: Only real proven threat in the WR corp

Da'rick: Too unproven to rely on

Whalen: Same as above

Brazill: Same as above, above

When Reggie went down last year, the level of offense went with him, competition is good

The hawks weren't the hawks, till they became the hawks ;)

I think Decker is better than Wallace, and would be worth the money. But I don't think we should give it to him. Especially not with the options that are available in the draft.

Indeed...it really depends on what his rate would be.....no one out there is worth Mike Wallace numbers...thats absurd....but on the market now...Decker is a legit wr....and with our team we don't necessarily need a calvin johnson etc....paired with TY and Reggie, Decker would give us a hell of a starting core....he also blocks well too...and after Reggie is gone....I wouldn't be dissappointed in a TY Decker core...it all comes down to what we give up but he is a big target and runs all the routes...he isn't elite...but he is just under that group...and if he is willing to accept money in that 8 million range...would be a great option....there are a number of great prospects in the draft but I would definately be talking to his agent if I was Ryan.

Indeed...it really depends on what his rate would be.....no one out there is worth Mike Wallace numbers...thats absurd....but on the market now...Decker is a legit wr....and with our team we don't necessarily need a calvin johnson etc....paired with TY and Reggie, Decker would give us a hell of a starting core....he also blocks well too...and after Reggie is gone....I wouldn't be dissappointed in a TY Decker core...it all comes down to what we give up but he is a big target and runs all the routes...he isn't elite...but he is just under that group...and if he is willing to accept money in that 8 million range...would be a great option....there are a number of great prospects in the draft but I would definately be talking to his agent if I was Ryan.

I'd rather draft a receiver than sign someone to a sizable contract. Even Decker.

Darick will continue to develop this year. And a whole offseason with luck will be good for him. IMO he will be our #1 for the future him and TY will be fine so I'm not even 100% sold on a WR early next year either

Yeah, I don't get it. I think that's incredibly short sighted. Rogers isn't a proven thing, Reggie might not get back. As poorly as the offense played when Reggie went down, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want some insurance at WR. And in the future, when Reggie is no longer a #1, we'll need more players.

I'm not advocating drafting one high, but I don't get the idea that we're set at WR. I actually think it's kind of nuts, to be honest.

Yeah, I don't get it. I think that's incredibly short sighted. Rogers isn't a proven thing, Reggie might not get back. As poorly as the offense played when Reggie went down, I don't understand how anyone wouldn't want some insurance at WR. And in the future, when Reggie is no longer a #1, we'll need more players.

I'm not advocating drafting one high, but I don't get the idea that we're set at WR. I actually think it's kind of nuts, to be honest.

Rogers showed promise walking on from the practice squad I find it nuts how many discount him without him even having a full offseason to build chemistry

Not to mention we have Da'rick Reggie TY brazil and Whalen I think we will survive for 1 more season even if Da'rick dosent pan out as a possible #1

Rogers showed promise walking on from the practice squad I find it nuts how many discount him without him even having a full offseason to build chemistry

Not to mention we have Da'rick Reggie TY brazil and Whalen I think we will survive for 1 more season even if Da'rick dosent pan out as a possible #1

I'm not discounting Rogers. I'm just not comfortable relying on him to be a big time contributor in the future. There are reasons he wasn't drafted; those reasons -- drug test issues, fighting in bars, lacking work ethic, etc. -- shouldn't be discounted.

I like his potential as a player. He's just a huge unknown, and to rely on him at this point wouldn't be prudent.

Brazill and Whalen are ordinary.

I don't want to survive (which we struggled to do last year). The offense should thrive. We shouldn't neglect any position on either side of the ball just because people think the guys we have might be good enough. We certainly shouldn't neglect the opportunity to add a young playmaker at WR, someone who can be with the team for the next four years for relatively little money, and maybe be a cornerstone of the offense for the next decade, because we're enamored with Da'Rick Rogers, Griff Whalen or LaVon Brazill. One of those guys is a failed drug test away from an 8 game suspension, one of them was on and off of the active roster last season, and the other went undrafted by 32 teams and then was cut because of character and work ethic issues.

Using LaVon Brazill or Griff Whalen as an excuse not to get better at WR is something I don't agree with.

Its not just about getting through next season ... as Superman said earlier we need to allow at least one year for development.  We can't just assume whoever we draft is going to step in and be a top WR their 1st year.

Look, Brazil was injured, missed a lot of time. When he got back healthy he was a junior TY, making several STUNNING and spectacular catches which blew me away. He is maybe a pretty good ways behind TY at this point in his development - maybe a full year -  but when is it going to sink in to you guys that we have TWO Marvin Harrisons? I will say it again - we have TWO Marvin Harrisons!

When I kept saying TY was incredibly Marvin-like everyone thought I was full of ***T and told me so. But suddenly a couple games down the road - WOW - the naysayers were finally starting to agree that TY can be as good as Marvin. After all, the NUMBERS bear it out. Look at Marvin's first couple of years and TY's. Take a close look and tell me what you see!

Geeeeez, and with the rest of the corps?  Two really solid tight ends in Fleener and Allen - and Whalen who is developing nicely into the Colts version of Welker, and with the addition of Rodgers and of course - Reggie coming back. FORGET ABOUT IT!

Our receiving corp, if they can stay healthy will be the envy of the NFL.

Spend the money on other needs such as the O-Line and bringing in someone who can actually teach special teams and the defense how to tackle.

ColtsHappy

Look, Brazil was injured, missed a lot of time. When he got back healthy he was a junior TY, making several STUNNING and spectacular catches which blew me away. He is maybe a pretty good ways behind TY at this point in his development - maybe a full year -  but when is it going to sink in to you guys that we have TWO Marvin Harrisons? I will say it again - we have TWO Marvin Harrisons!

When I kept saying TY was incredibly Marvin-like everyone thought I was full of ***T and told me so. But suddenly a couple games down the road - WOW - the naysayers were finally starting to agree that TY can be as good as Marvin. After all, the NUMBERS bear it out. Look at Marvin's first couple of years and TY's. Take a close look and tell me what you see!

Geeeeez, and with the rest of the corps?  Two really solid tight ends in Fleener and Allen - and Whalen who is developing nicely into the Colts version of Welker, and with the addition of Rodgers and of course - Reggie coming back. FORGET ABOUT IT!

Our receiving corp, if they can stay healthy will be the envy of the NFL.

Spend the money on other needs such as the O-Line and bringing in someone who can actually teach special teams and the defense how to tackle.

ColtsHappy

Brazill didn't get hurt until December. Before that, he had 11 catches for 150 yards, and that includes the relatively big game he had against the Bengals. He was behind DHB on the depth chart, even after Reggie got hurt. After that, he had 1 catch for 11 yards, then had some good production in the playoffs. LOL at "junior TY."

DOUBLE LOL at "we have two Marvin Harrisons." We don't even have one Marvin Harrison. I don't know why people keep comparing Hilton to Harrison; Hilton has a long, loooooong way to go before he even belongs in the same sentence with a young Marvin. And I'm one of the biggest TY Hilton fans around; I liked him before the draft, I jumped right on when he got drafted, and I think he'll be a big part of the franchise for a long time. But you're a little over zealous with the Marvin Harrison comparison.

And then you compare Griff Whalen to Wes Welker, and I'm just floored. Suffice it to say that you think a lot more of our receivers than I do. And I like our receivers. If our receiver corps is fully healthy, they'll be above average, not the envy of the rest of the league. That's a big IF, though...

Since you want to talk about Marvin, how about you think about how he looked when he came back from his knee injury in 2007. Reggie is about the same age, had a more serious injury, and isn't playing with Peyton Manning and another Reggie Wayne on the other side of the field. To expect Reggie to come back and play at a high level is highly optimistic. That optimism is fine; failing to plan for a less ideal reality is irresponsible.

What I agree with you on is that, taking our TEs and RBs into consideration, we'll have options in the passing game. But you fail to account for Dwayne Allen's serious injury recovery.

I also agree that we should spend money on the interior offensive line, and better tackling (particularly at ILB and S). But that doesn't mean we should neglect the WR corps. No one is saying that we should try to stack the receiver position with as many guys as we can get our hands on; no one is saying that adding a receiver is a necessity to have a good season next year. I'm just saying that, with a little foresight and planning, we can avoid being caught with little receiver depth like we were last year, and we can prepare for life after Reggie. 

Laugh all you want - the numbers do not lie for the first two years of their careers:

Games Played      Receptions         Total Yards              Average        Longest       #Touchdowns

Marvin Harrison                                   32                      137                     1402                      12.5               44                      14

TY Hilton                                              31                      132                     1944                      14.7               73                      12

Close enough for me. Extremely respectable and favorable comparison noting that Marvin had a very slight edge in two categories, but played in one game more than Hilton. No reasonable person could argue - it is very close and certainly worth a conversation.

The original post stands, but you will just have to wait and see on Brazil.

:D :D :D :D :D

ColtsHappy

I agree with OP about waiting instead of spending a draft pick on a WR.  I am willing to take a WR as an UDFA, but that only.

Before anybody starts on me about this, think.  I wanted to draft a WR last draft (2013) incase Reggie got hurt and to get tutored by Reggie.  I wasn't happy with our receiving corps and thought we needed help and Reggie's possible successor.  I got told a lot of things about having patience and faith in Grigson and the team. 

After this season, I am asking the same thing,patience with our young receivers and Coaching staff. 

I feel confident that Grigson and the coaching staff will make a good judgement call. If they feel that there's a WR available in the draft or in FA that would be good "value for money/pick" and would improve our team, fine by me. If they feel that we have a WR group that can do the job, fine by me. After all, they get to work with the WR group every day, so they're probably better suited to judge them than any of us, so if they have confidence in Rodgers, Whalen, Brazil and Reggies ability post injury, so have I.

Getting Decker would be expensive, and would cut into the available money for upgrading other areas of the team where we might need to focus (O-line, ILB & Safety).

What happens in the draft would obviously depend on what we do in FA, both players coming in and leaving.