Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat Angerer?

HawkeyesColts

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some good free agents available this off season.  I say pick a couple, maybe three impact players that can contribute immediately in this system. Then, draft back ups....The unrestricted free agents the Colts ;have need to be let go, they we'rent much of a difference maker or a game changer....Let them go and get quality defensive and offensive free agents...

The injury big is a concern with Angerer but if they are convinced he's healthy then I'd say 80%.  As I've mentioned before Angerer graded out well for the season, if you look at his play on a per game basis he was the 3rd best Lb behind Mathis and Freeman, if you look at it overall for the season then Angerer was the 4th best LB on the Colts with Walden moving into 3rd.

Harvey and Conner were the worst and even if you take their average per snap effectiveness and use that for for the same number of snaps that Angerer got they would still be the two worst LBers on the team.

It's kind of like what some fans do with Howell, he makes a good hit and fans think, "Wow, he should get more playing time." wehn in fact they had been playing more and the fans just did not see all the other poor play that happened before that big hit.

how would he do that before March?

Dont know, Thats the biggest reason why I expect he wont be back, I do think his playing hurt affected his play this year somewhat though(just from the eye test and comparing his mobility to what I saw this year...(I realize Im far from an expert on that) as far as having to go sideline to sideline. With that said his actual production did not slip because of it very much at all if you take into account his average tackles per game made for his career (6.1 tackles per game).....This year in 11 games he averaged 5.7 tackles per game....Multiply 5.7 times  over 16 games and ya get 91.2 (rounded down 91)....Multiply 16 with 6.1 and you get 97.6 (rounded up 98)....I think he is strong enough to take on blocks but he has short arms which allows him to get engulfed in a block if that makes sense (for taking on blocks I mean)compared to many ILB's who are on or have been on teams that use 3-4 alignments on a pretty regular basis (I still maintain that the defense we use is a multiple defense and not a strict 34)

Dont know, Thats the biggest reason why I expect he wont be back, I do think his playing hurt affected his play this year somewhat though(just from the eye test and comparing his mobility to what I saw this year...(I realize Im far from an expert on that) as far as having to go sideline to sideline. With that said his actual production did not slip because of it very much at all if you take into account his average tackles per game made for his career (6.1 tackles per game).....This year in 11 games he averaged 5.7 tackles per game....Multiply 5.7 times  over 16 games and ya get 91.2 (rounded down 91)....Multiply 16 with 6.1 and you get 97.6 (rounded up 98)....I think he is strong enough to take on blocks but he has short arms which allows him to get engulfed in a block if that makes sense (for taking on blocks I mean)compared to many ILB's who have teams that use 3-4 alignments on a pretty regular basis (I still maintain that the defense we use is a multiple defense and not a strict 34)

When he was healthy he DID look good except for in coverage, and he NEVER was great at that.  When watching him, you could always tell when he was hurting.  He lacked the usual sure handed tackling, and would get 'juked' out of position.

Nonetheless he is going be allowed to walk...

What is the likelyhood that Pat will be back with the Colts next season?

He could have a better career in a different scheme and we have too many ILBers that are similar or better. Conner is similar, Freeman is similar and better. We could use another ILB that's like Sheppard but more productive that can start with Freeman.

Dont know, Thats the biggest reason why I expect he wont be back, I do think his playing hurt affected his play this year somewhat though(just from the eye test and comparing his mobility to what I saw this year...(I realize Im far from an expert on that) as far as having to go sideline to sideline. With that said his actual production did not slip because of it very much at all if you take into account his average tackles per game made for his career (6.1 tackles per game).....This year in 11 games he averaged 5.7 tackles per game....Multiply 5.7 times  over 16 games and ya get 91.2 (rounded down 91)....Multiply 16 with 6.1 and you get 97.6 (rounded up 98)....I think he is strong enough to take on blocks but he has short arms which allows him to get engulfed in a block if that makes sense (for taking on blocks I mean)compared to many ILB's who are on or have been on teams that use 3-4 alignments on a pretty regular basis (I still maintain that the defense we use is a multiple defense and not a strict 34)

are those real tackles or Ray Lewis tackles?

are those real tackles or Ray Lewis tackles?

What do ya mean? Ray Lewis averaged 5.9 tackles per game in his career (according to the tackle numbers his profile on NFL.com has up...Keep in mind tackle numbers were not kept until he was 4 years into his career) that comes to 95 Combined tackles per season

What do ya mean? Ray Lewis averaged 5.9 tackles per game in his career (according to the tackle numbers his profile on NFL.com has up...Keep in mind tackle numbers were not kept until he was 4 years into his career) that comes to 95 Combined tackles per season

Ray Lewis tackles refers to getting credited for tackles you were no part of. Ray Ray used to get credited for like 15 tackles in a game, 7 of which were when he was nowhere near the play.

This is why tackles stats are meaningless. The NFL doesn't keep them as official stats. They're kept by the team which means that all of those numbers are incredibly bias. Like when Kueckhly got credited with like 24 in a game where he only made like 17. 

Ray Lewis tackles refers to getting credited for tackles you were no part of. Ray Ray used to get credited for like 15 tackles in a game, 7 of which were when he was nowhere near the play.

This is why tackles stats are meaningless. The NFL doesn't keep them as official stats. They're kept by the team which means that all of those numbers are incredibly bias. Like when Kueckhly got credited with like 24 in a game where he only made like 17.

good post. Not many people understand this. Where did you learn it

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think he leaves and does well next year as a 4-3 MLB.

I think Pat would be a better fit as a 4-3 Will backer.  I don't think he has the speed or instincts to thrive as a MLB in a 4-3.

I think Pat would be a better fit as a 4-3 Will backer.  I don't think he has the speed or instincts to thrive as a MLB in a 4-3.

Can't say I agree, he doesn't have the coverage skills to play Will and cannot rush the passer either. The only place he has thrived is at MLB in 4-3. He has fairly good instincts and would be a good spy and open field tackler. He will never be great, but he could ply his trade in such a role if the coaches use him correctly.

Guest TeamLoloJones

lack of speed but put him at wlber?

Yes.  The MLB is responsible for sideline to sideline.  The will backer has traditionally less ground to be responsible for, and usually is the first LBer to come of the field in the nickel and other sub packages.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Can't say I agree, he doesn't have the coverage skills to play Will and cannot rush the passer either. The only place he has thrived is at MLB in 4-3. He has fairly good instincts and would be a good spy and open field tackler. He will never be great, but he could ply his trade in such a role if the coaches use him correctly.

I don't think Angerer should be a starter in really any defense to be honest.