Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson

Thewholefnshow28

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting article on Richardson. Ballard is a power running back, and thrives under our system. Trent does not, because he is not a power running back. The article explains more. I'm one of the people who hopes Trent can still turn it around next season.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2014/1/24/5343176/the-observation-of-trent-richardson

A fan post from stampede blue....really?

Ouch.......

#1 on the most disappointing players list: 

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46178/57/most-disappointing-of-2013

Most Disappointing of 2013

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Like any good season, 2013 featured no shortage of breakout stars and late bloomers. But for every Alshon Jeffery and Jordan Cameron, there was a Trent Richardson or Danny Amendola. Players who, for whatever reason, couldn’t meet the hype or expectations. The reasons for disappointment ranged from age to injury to plain-old ineffectiveness. We’ll delve deeper into the how and why for some of these inglorious 25 in this year’sWhat Went Wrong? series. This is not an all-encompassing list, while players aren’t necessarily ranked in order of “most disappointing.” There were more than 25 disappointing players in 2013, and "disappointment" is a nebulous concept that means different things to different people. I also thought it would be a bit mean to include David Wilson and his career-threatening neck injury. With all that said, here are 25 players who didn’t answer the bell in 2013.       

1. Trent Richardson

Richardson’s failure was so staggering, so comprehensive, that it’s hard to know where to begin. There isn’t a fantasy owner alive who doesn’t know the gory details, so instead of an avalanche of ugly numbers, we’ll begin with a comparison. Richardson is a first-round pick twice over. Andre Ellington was the No. 187 selection of last April’s draft. Ellington led the league with 5.52 yards per carry. That was nearly double what T-Rich averaged as a Colt, 2.91. Now you could consider this an arbitrary observation. T-Rich and Ellington are two very different players. But if that’s arbitrary, T-Rich’s numbers are capricious. He averaged 25.5 rushing yards per game over Indy’s final nine contests. He rushed for more than 40 yards four times in 14 games. His season high was 64. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry exactly once. In the playoffs? Richardson had as many lost fumbles (one) as yards (one). We’ll explore the “why” of Richardson’s 2013 in a future What Went Wrong?, but the “where” is unambiguously clear: In a gutter all by itself.    

Note:  Apologies to the moderator if this belongs in the "Everything Trent Richardson thread"   Since this was new, I didn't want it lost inside a larger thread and missed by many eyes.    That's why I've put it here..

So, over on ESPN.com there's a story about the top 50 questions for the 2014 season.

The one for the Colts is...   how will the Colts use Trent next season...

Here is the comment from Herman Edwards....   I think you'll find it....   interesting....

42. How will the Indianapolis Colts try to address the disappointing Trent Richardson?

Edwards: This is more a problem of not being in the system long enough for me.  I'm not ready to give up on Richardson just yet.  He's clearly got talent.  But getting traded in the middle of the season is tough for any player, and his offensive line in Indianapolis wasn't very good this season.  Indianapolis also needs to mix up the game plan with Richardson more when he's in the game.  Too often, he would come into the game and it would be obvious the Colts were handing him the ball.  He'd get hit behind the line, and that was a big reason he averaged only 2.9 yards per carry with Indianapolis.

Trent will be solid for us next season. Like Herm said he would get hit behind the line quite often, and that wasn't his fault. With a better Offensive line I look for him to be a 1,000 plus yard RB next year. He can very well be a Marshawn Lynch type RB.

Superbowl wins:

USA: All

Rest of world: 0

Rest of world are you even trying?

To be fair, I guarantee there is not an American football team outside of the NFL that could come anything close to challenging the SB champs.  In fact I could guarantee that the rest of the world could put together a non NFL all star team and it would still lose to the SB champs.

Herm Edwards is a colorful announcer, not a great coach.

I wouldn't take his words as gospel.

Jason Garret, Mike Tice and Norv Turner have better records as head coaches then Edwards

He still knows far more about playing in the NFL than anyone here. Players in his era were actually given time to mature before being labled a bust

Trent will be solid for us next season. Like Herm said he would get hit behind the line quite often, and that wasn't his fault. With a better Offensive line I look for him to be a 1,000 plus yard RB next year. He can very well be a Marshawn Lynch type RB.

He got hit behind the line because he was back there dancing way too long.

You see Lynch back there dancing ? Nope. He ain't the next Marshawn Lynch, maybe the next Fred Astaire.

He still knows far more about playing in the NFL than anyone here. Players in his era were actually given time to mature before being labled a bust

By that argument then Mike Ditka was right in trading his whole draft for Ricky Williams, he is older and knows football.

Herm Edwards is a colorful announcer, not a great coach.

I wouldn't take his words as gospel.

Jason Garret, Mike Tice and Norv Turner have better records as head coaches then Edwards

In other words....    you disagree with his views.    So, you try to make his opinion look wrong by attacking his record as a coach.

OK....    point noted.   You're not a fan of Edwards or of Trent.

what would you consider successful

4+ ypc.

I dont care how many touchdowns he gets, I just want him to hold up his end when he is handed the ball.

Total yards doesnt matter to me, as long as when he is handed the ball he moves it.

I dont think he is worth what we gave up for him, I dont think he posses first round talent, but what's dome is done so I just wanna see him move the ball.

To be fair, I guarantee there is not an American football team outside of the NFL that could come anything close to challenging the SB champs.  In fact I could guarantee that the rest of the world could put together a non NFL all star team and it would still lose to the SB champs.

Just wait until the London Beefeaters are up and running......

4+ ypc.

I dont care how many touchdowns he gets, I just want him to hold up his end when he is handed the ball.

Total yards doesnt matter to me, as long as when he is handed the ball he moves it.

I dont think he is worth what we gave up for him, I dont think he posses first round talent, but what's dome is done so I just wanna see him move the ball.

you don't care about yards or td's?

How is that logical?

you don't care about yards or td's?

How is that logical?

If you hand a player the ball 400 times to get 1000 yards is that good ? No

If he gets 12 touchdowns from the 1 yard line is that good of his ypc is only 2.9 ? No.

His job is to move the ball, ypc is moving the ball. Running the ball is about moving the ball and controlling the clock. You can't do either if you are always fired to throw on 3rd down.

If Luck has to throw the ball 99 yards so Richardson can run it in from the 1then thats no good. If its 3rd and 4 and the defense has to play you honest because you can pick up yards through the air and on the ground then thats good.

William The Refrigerator Perry could pound it in all day from the 1 yard line, but you ain't gonna hand it to him on a 3rd and 4 situation.

If all Richardson is good for is short yardage goal line situations then Grigson gave up a 1st round pick for a fullback.

He got hit behind the line because he was back there dancing way too long.

You see Lynch back there dancing ? Nope. He ain't the next Marshawn Lynch, maybe the next Fred Astaire.

He was hit almost immediately after he took the handoff way to may times. in order to dance you need to at least take a step or two. don't know too may dances where do don't move your feet.

If you hand a player the ball 400 times to get 1000 yards is that good ? No

If he gets 12 touchdowns from the 1 yard line is that good of his ypc is only 2.9 ? No.

His job is to move the ball, ypc is moving the ball. Running the ball is about moving the ball and controlling the clock. You can't do either if you are always fired to throw on 3rd down.

If Luck has to throw the ball 99 yards so Richardson can run it in from the 1then thats no good. If its 3rd and 4 and the defense has to play you honest because you can pick up yards through the air and on the ground then thats good.

William The Refrigerator Perry could pound it in all day from the 1 yard line, but you ain't gonna hand it to him on a 3rd and 4 situation.

If all Richardson is good for is short yardage goal line situations then Grigson gave up a 1st round pick for a fullback.

so if he has 125 yards on the year but 4 ypc, you call that a successful year?

3.5 ypc 3 times is a first down. Your constant obsession with ypc is illogical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFAF_World_Championship_of_American_Football

Yes, I like football.

So he doesnt dance ? Is that your view ?

My view is similar to Herm's. it's damn hard in any level of the game of football to gain many yards when you are get hit almost the same time you receive the handoff. I don't think TR forgot how to run the ball after the trade to Indy (900+ yds his rookie year at Cleveland). our OL is pi$$ poor and with any kind of room to run he will be OK. Yes, DB ran behind the same line but as someone else pointed out when TR was in the D expected the run more. DB got hit behind the line several times also and guess what, he did gain yds either on those carries. we shall see next year.

so if he has 125 yards on the year but 4 ypc, you call that a successful year?

3.5 ypc 3 times is a first down. Your constant obsession with ypc is illogical.

If he is getting 4 ypc then he will get his carries. Only way he has that few yards is if he is injured.

3.5 ypc isnt enough, he has to break bigger runs then that to get his average up and to keep defenses honest.

So if he gets 12 touchdowns and 2.9 ypc and 600 yards on the season you will consider that a good season ?

Describe a scenario where Richardson would be considered a success without a good ypc average ? It isnt possible.

You are gonna be in a lot more 3rd and 3 and 3rd and 4 situations then you will be at the 1 or 2 yard line looking to run it in.

Note:  Apologies to the moderator if this belongs in the "Everything Trent Richardson thread"   Since this was new, I didn't want it lost inside a larger thread and missed by many eyes.    That's why I've put it here..

So, over on ESPN.com there's a story about the top 50 questions for the 2014 season.

The one for the Colts is...   how will the Colts use Trent next season...

Here is the comment from Herman Edwards....   I think you'll find it....   interesting....

42. How will the Indianapolis Colts try to address the disappointing Trent Richardson?

Edwards: This is more a problem of not being in the system long enough for me.  I'm not ready to give up on Richardson just yet.  He's clearly got talent.  But getting traded in the middle of the season is tough for any player, and his offensive line in Indianapolis wasn't very good this season.  Indianapolis also needs to mix up the game plan with Richardson more when he's in the game.  Too often, he would come into the game and it would be obvious the Colts were handing him the ball.  He'd get hit behind the line, and that was a big reason he averaged only 2.9 yards per carry with Indianapolis.

Yeah, I'm gonna merge this with the main Trent thread.