Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Everything Trent Richardson

Thewholefnshow28

Man did the NFL knock this guy down a few pegs. By all accounts he was sort of a  "diva" is what Dquell Jackson called him. Now everyone is bagging on him. He's make for a nice bounce back story, if he works harder than he has, maybe it can happen, but man, when a guy starts his career as badly as he has, the statistics say he is never going to be good.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of us trent haters will get the last laugh next year when trent sucks again. Then we will all still get ripped on again as the rest of the people dream up more excuses for trent on how its not his fault.......even though numbers dont lie,still gets defended with a million reasons......then everybody will still want him back a third year. Smh

I hated the trade from the get go, but I'm not hoping to get the "last laugh." Why would you want a Colts player to fail? Does being right mean that much to you?

Nobody wishes the guy to fail, unfortunately he is a Colt. I want Grigson to find us someone who can run. Ballard is unknown at this time , the best Trent can do is very short yard situations, we need someone who can pick up 4ypc.

Brandshaw ain't gonna make it through the season so he isn't a viable option.

I would hate to waste another pick on a runningback, we already did that .....

From what I have seen there isn't gonna be much in free agency available.

Toby Gerhart would be my first choice with what's available. Not sure what kinda price tag he is gonna command though.

I think he has the skills in the open field to be a stand out back. However, I dont think he has adjusted to the speed in the NFL for hitting the hole and that initial break. For some players I think there is a transition period for this - I really hope he makes it with hard work, time in one system, and solid coaching. We should all root for the guy to make it, as human beings and as Colt fans.

As a Colts fan I am wanting him to succeed. I dont know about the human being part. The guy is getting paid a whole lotta money to do a job that so far he has been bad at.

If his contract was performance based and he had to live in a van down by the river I could maybe feel a little pity for him. Instead he is getting more money then I will make in my lifetime and will probably spend a lot of time on the bench doing earning it. Thats rough.

Perhaps the person who cares, is the one who is explaining how hard it is to learn a completely different system in the middle of the season.

Just now noticed you replied to me.

Anyway back on track. I might consider that a valid argument if we were talking a different position but not RB. I have always heard professional coaches, GM's, and even other RB's say that RB is one of the easiest positions in all of football to adjust to new system's. Essentially the only difference they need to learn is terminology. Everything else is always gonna be what they always do. Get the ball and hit the hole. Block on passing plays and run a few out routes. I have seen RB's signed off the street in the middle of the week and play on Sunday and have more success than Trent had all season. I just think he really lacks vision and creativity and thats a recipe for failure for an NFL RB. Hopefully he can adjust to the NFL but until he proves it, I'm not holding out much hope. I've said all along I want to be wrong about him.

Just now noticed you replied to me.

Anyway back on track. I might consider that a valid argument if we were talking a different position but not RB. I have always heard professional coaches, GM's, and even other RB's say that RB is one of the easiest positions in all of football to adjust to new system's. Essentially the only difference they need to learn is terminology. Everything else is always gonna be what they always do. Get the ball and hit the hole. Block on passing plays and run a few out routes. I have seen RB's signed off the street in the middle of the week and play on Sunday and have more success than Trent had all season. I just think he really lacks vision and creativity and thats a recipe for failure for an NFL RB. Hopefully he can adjust to the NFL but until he proves it, I'm not holding out much hope. I've said all along I want to be wrong about him.

Very true.  Willis McGahee being a very good example this year coming off the street and replacing TRich having the same numbers.  Bobby Rainey went to TB middle of season and was able to put up 163 vs ATL and 127 vs BUF.  Unfortunately, Trent has not even sniffed 100 yards like he promised.  If he had rushed for 100 just ONCE or broken off 1 big run then everyone would be willing to give him a lot more leeway.  As it stands, in 16 games for us he has shown very little, certainly not worth a 1st rounder.

Is that the official rule ?

By that rule you are saying Blaine Gabbert is still a good player because nobody has gotten around to firing him yet.

Just because you have a guaranteed contract and a team hope they may one day get something out of you since they are stuck paying you doesnt mean you aren't a bust. It just means that eventually someone will probably get fired over you sucking so bad.

Well there you go. It isnt Richardson's fault that he stinks. Its Grigsons fault for bringing in the wrong player and Paganos fault for running the wrong offense.

And Pep's fault for being so stubborn. Pagano wants a power run game, but only Ballard is suited for it(5ypc before he got injured), and Pep has to do what he says. Since Richardson cost us our first-round pick, I would say run a zone scheme around Richardson, and let Ballard adjust. I think what Grigson had in mind was to find a player that looked like he could fit in a power running scheme, i.e. Trent Richardson; he's bulky and he can run after contact. I think Pep wanted to see if Richardson could switch zones, and play in a power scheme instead of a zone blocking scheme. Needless to say, that failed, and I hope Pep realizes this, adjusts, and uses zone-blocking when Richardson runs. Dwayne Allen will be a key factor in helping Trent's running and gaining yards with blocking.

If anyone thinks this guy was worth a 1, you're just a homer. The league is laughing at that trade. If you wanted to give up a 1, u probably could've got MJD or Cris Johnson.

They're going to be good backs in the 2nd and 3rd rnd of the draft.

If u use a 1 on a rb, that rb better be a gamebreaker and able to score from anywhere on the field.

And Pep's fault for being so stubborn. Pagano wants a power run game, but only Ballard is suited for it(5ypc before he got injured), and Pep has to do what he says. Since Richardson cost us our first-round pick, I would say run a zone scheme around Richardson, and let Ballard adjust. I think what Grigson had in mind was to find a player that looked like he could fit in a power running scheme, i.e. Trent Richardson; he's bulky and he can run after contact. I think Pep wanted to see if Richardson could switch zones, and play in a power scheme instead of a zone blocking scheme. Needless to say, that failed, and I hope Pep realizes this, adjusts, and uses zone-blocking when Richardson runs. Dwayne Allen will be a key factor in helping Trent's running and gaining yards with blocking.

He'd be even worse in a zone scheme. One of the main attributes in a successful back in a zone scheme is vision, which Richardson has zero of. We ran a few zone plays with him this year and had the same results. He sucks, bottom line. I hope he doesn't suck as much next year but we lost the trade, no way around it.

If we switch to a zone scheme and Richardson still sucks then we have taken Ballard out of his element and he will suck too.

I dont think its the scheme, I think the guy just inst very good if he doesnt have a line that can open up holes big enough to drive a truck through.

The stopping and dancing have zero to do with a scheme, thats all on him.

If we change the blocking scheme and everything for him and he still fails to perform then it will be a real bad year for the Colts.

He has never shown anything that would make me believe he has the ability to deliver and make it worthwhile to build the run game around him.

He needs to wither learn the offense that his coaches wish to run or stay on the bench, they have wasted enough on him already and shouldn't throw a whole season in for good measure.

He'd be even worse in a zone scheme. One of the main attributes in a successful back in a zone scheme is vision, which Richardson has zero of. We ran a few zone plays with him this year and had the same results. He sucks, bottom line. I hope he doesn't suck as much next year but we lost the trade, no way around it.

No, he'd do well in the zone scheme. Maybe not elite RB well, but better than this. If you read the article, it mentions why. He's done well so far in zone scheme, and blocking may be an issue. Our guards block better in power scheme than zone scheme. Zone scheme is waiting for the holes and hitting one. That's why Richardson dances around and gets stuffed. It doesn't work in power, because you need to hit a hole and go. In power scheme, it's called no vision. In zone scheme, it's called patience.

If we switch to a zone scheme and Richardson still sucks then we have taken Ballard out of his element and he will suck too.

I dont think its the scheme, I think the guy just inst very good if he doesnt have a line that can open up holes big enough to drive a truck through.

The stopping and dancing have zero to do with a scheme, thats all on him.

If we change the blocking scheme and everything for him and he still fails to perform then it will be a real bad year for the Colts.

He has never shown anything that would make me believe he has the ability to deliver and make it worthwhile to build the run game around him.

He needs to wither learn the offense that his coaches wish to run or stay on the bench, they have wasted enough on him already and shouldn't throw a whole season in for good measure.

Most RBs are one-cut backs, meaning they only know one scheme. Marshawyn Lynch for example, runs in zone, but I would bet you he'd fail in power. Same with Rice, who runs in power. I think scheme has to do with it along with blocking. We could switch to zone, but would it be worth it for one guy? Right now, our guards are better at blocking in power than in zone. This offseason, if Grigson brings in guards who can block in zone, he's probably building around TRich. We don't know how Ballard is going to do off his ACL, and something tells me Richardson is the one to start. Also, Ballard was underrated and drafted low, and I think he's hit his ceiling.

No, he'd do well in the zone scheme. Maybe not elite RB well, but better than this. If you read the article, it mentions why. He's done well so far in zone scheme, and blocking may be an issue. Our guards block better in power scheme than zone scheme. Zone scheme is waiting for the holes and hitting one. That's why Richardson dances around and gets stuffed. It doesn't work in power, because you need to hit a hole and go. In power scheme, it's called no vision. In zone scheme, it's called patience.

Disagree, Our Guards block better in Gap schemes (any way either of us slice it though our Guards stink)...He is a 1 cut and (and I hate his jump cutting running style cause it slows him down almost to a complete stop) and go Back, If the hole is not there on the "go" then he struggles to create, In other words if a hole is not open where its supposed to be he lacks the vision to find the open field

Disagree, Our Guards block better in Gap schemes (any way either of us slice it though our Guards stink)...He is a 1 cut and (and I hate his jump cutting running style cause it slows him down almost to a complete stop) and go Back, If the hole is not there on the "go" then he struggles to create, In other words if a hole is not open where its supposed to be he lacks the vision to find the open field

Gap schemes, but not zone schemes. Apparently some draft reports had our guards knowing how to block in zone report. Of course he can't create. Richardson isn't a power scheme running back. A running back in a power scheme hits the hole and goes, no matter how small. Richardson is a zone running back. He waits for the holes to develop, then chooses one. In power, it's called lacking vision. In zone, it's called patience.

Most RBs are one-cut backs, meaning they only know one scheme. Marshawyn Lynch for example, runs in zone, but I would bet you he'd fail in power. Same with Rice, who runs in power. I think scheme has to do with it along with blocking. We could switch to zone, but would it be worth it for one guy? Right now, our guards are better at blocking in power than in zone. This offseason, if Grigson brings in guards who can block in zone, he's probably building around TRich. We don't know how Ballard is going to do off his ACL, and something tells me Richardson is the one to start. Also, Ballard was underrated and drafted low, and I think he's hit his ceiling.

I'm not sure about Thornton and Thomas but there was talks that a zone blocking scheme would better fit Khalid Holmes and there is a good chance he is our starting center next year. Castonzo was another player that they said could really excel in a ZBS. I hope he gets extended and I think with a zone blocking scheme installed the line would look much better and the offense would be even more efficient.

I'm not sure about Thornton and Thomas but there was talks that a zone blocking scheme would better fit Khalid Holmes and there is a good chance he is our starting center next year. Castonzo was another player that they said could really excel in a ZBS. I hope he gets extended and I think with a zone blocking scheme installed the line would look much better and the offense would be even more efficient.

In scouting reports, most of our guards already knew zone-blocking, which is harder, but Pep taught them gap, man and power. They could install a zone blocking scheme, but would it really be worth it for one player? Now, if Richardson goes Marshawyn Lynch then yes, it was worth it. If Richardson fails in a zone-blocking scheme, he really is a bust. That means that the whole season is wasted and the whole off-season was useless if Richardson fails. Ballard was drafted in the 5th round, and he's overachieving for his draft round, but I think he's hit his ceiling, especially coming off an ACL tear. Richardson has a higher ceiling, but he's underachieving for his draft number.

All of our starting O Linemen except Cherilus fit a Zone scheme more in my opinion but with Mcglynn and Satele in there it wont show cause they stink at any blocking scheme, even though they are both mobile. Satele lacks power and has short arms, Mcglynn just cant open his hips to stay on blocks, slow hand punch that does not jolt a d linemen much

- Switch to a zone blocking scheme to help Richardson? You want to change your entire offensive philosophy to try and make one player look good?

- People have been saying "Give him a full offseason with the team". Changing to a Zone blocking scheme certainly wouldn't help that process.

- Richardson has never, in his life run in a zone blocking scheme, not at Alabama, not in Cleveland and not in Indy. 

Richardson in theory, is perfect for your offense. He's just not very good right now. 

- Switch to a zone blocking scheme to help Richardson? You want to change your entire offensive philosophy to try and make one player look good?

- People have been saying "Give him a full offseason with the team". Changing to a Zone blocking scheme certainly wouldn't help that process.

- Richardson has never, in his life run in a zone blocking scheme, not at Alabama, not in Cleveland and not in Indy.

Richardson in theory, is perfect for your offense. He's just not very good right now.

Believe me, give him an offseason and he will be good for us, especially after we get Alex Mack to come to a winning team for once.

Believe me, give him an offseason and he will be good for us, especially after we get Alex Mack to come to a winning team for once.

He was here pretty long and shown no improvement from his first game here. In fact the couple of games he played in Cleaceland this season were horrible and he had a preseason and a year under his belt there. In fact his numbers were down with the Browns in those games. I see no reason or evidence that say that he will improve even slightly here during his second season, and he needs way more then a slight improvement to live up to the price we paid for him.

He was here pretty long and shown no improvement from his first game here. In fact the couple of games he played in Cleaceland this season were horrible and he had a preseason and a year under his belt there. In fact his numbers were down with the Browns in those games. I see no reason or evidence that say that he will improve even slightly here during his second season, and he needs way more then a slight improvement to live up to the price we paid for him.

While in Cleveland he was adjusting to another new scheme and played only a handful of games. There really isn't a good baseline to judge him off of, plus he was traded for a 2014 1st, so how about we wait and see how he does this upcoming season before tearing him to pieces? He's 23 and for the first time he'll be in the same system for two years. If the Colts invest in the line and make the switch to a zone blocking scheme then the sky is the limit.

I'm glad the article was published about the zone blocking scheme, we didnt have enough excuses before.

Wasn't he supposed to be great just by having a better QB ? That didn't work.

Its like buying a brand new car and it never running right, all it needs is a new engine, tires , transmission, and a few other parts and it will be good .....

Seahawks fan here, but I thought you guys might be interested in this article on Grantland about Marshawn Lynch's slow progress as an NFL back before he finally figured things out. People forget now, but Lynch put up pretty mediocre numbers for quite a few games after being traded to the Seahawks, even after the famous Beast Quake run against the Saints. The author says the turning point came after Lynch had a talk with OL coach Tom Cable about running behind a zone blocking scheme and came out with a better understanding of where to run. It was after that talk that Lynch began tearing up NFL defenses.

I don't know if the light will eventually come on for Richardson the same way it did for Lynch, but its not impossible.

http://grantland.com/features/marshawn-lynch-beast-mode-evolved/

Seahawks fan here, but I thought you guys might be interested in this article on Grantland about Marshawn Lynch's slow progress as an NFL back before he finally figured things out. People forget now, but Lynch put up pretty mediocre numbers for quite a few games after being traded to the Seahawks, even after the famous Beast Quake run against the Saints. The author says the turning point came after Lynch had a talk with OL coach Tom Cable about running behind a zone blocking scheme and came out with a better understanding of where to run. It was after that talk that Lynch began tearing up NFL defenses.

I don't know if the light will eventually come on for Richardson the same way it did for Lynch, but its not impossible.

http://grantland.com/features/marshawn-lynch-beast-mode-evolved/

I dont buy the Lynch comparison. He is not Lynch.

If everything were ideal then every QB taken in the 6th round would be Tom Brady , but he is the exception not the norm.

Are you the exact same as your coworkers ? If 2 kids are born on the same day will they both have the same grades in high school ?

You can't compare people just because they have a similar build or something random and expect it to be accurate.

Ryan Leaf failed, Peyton Manning succeeded. Is Peyton Manning the same as Jemarcus Russell since they were both first overall ?

Lynch is Lynch and Richardson is Richardson, you can't say one is like the other because nobody is exactly like anyone.

You can name more running backs that stunk and stayed stinky then you can guys who stunk and then managed to put it all together and produce. The odds are against Richardson, and he is not now and will never be anyone but himself, and as of now he is very stinky.

There are hundreds of excuses being made for him, some were carried over from his time with the Browns, but nobody needs to make an excuse why he is stinking the proof is there every time he touches the ball.

He ain't Lynch, never gonna be Lynch. He is Richardson and his future is unique to him be it good or bad.