Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson

love the shoe

After watching every colt game for the last several years and everyone this year looking back on this year I have come to several conclusions. Most of the time Trent was in they stacked the line against the run. Several times if not more Trent was hit as soon as he got the ball..It really looked to me that he hadn't learned the offense. The guy came in and had to learn of the fly. Let's give this guy a full training camp and upgrade this o line and then make a decision on him. It is way too early to do that at this time. I will be the first to say we made a bad trade after we get the line fixed and he has a full year under his belt. I remember these same threads on Brown until this year ,they went away. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching every colt game for the last several years and everyone this year looking back on this year I have come to several conclusions. Most of the time Trent was in they stacked the line against the run. Several times if not more Trent was hit as soon as he got the ball..It really looked to me that he hadn't learned the offense. The guy came in and had to learn of the fly. Let's give this guy a full training camp and upgrade this o line and then make a decision on him. It is way too early to do that at this time. I will be the first to say we made a bad trade after we get the line fixed and he has a full year under his belt. I remember these same threads on Brown until this year ,they went away. 

:wall:

Great great line I heard about Trent Richardson:

"Needs to learn how to get out of the elevator before the doors closed."

Love his potential, but he needs some good coaching and some experience to take that next step in his careeer. 

There are 2 sides to this argument: either you fall in the camp that Trent sucks (which is the camp Im in) or you think a training camp will somehow help this guy, which is the camp you obviously are in.

Donald Brown managed to gain yards behind this O-line, why couldnt Trent? No one really knows, but the fact remains he didnt produce at all. I personally dont thing a training camp will do any good. The guy was here for nearly a full season, 14 games. What could he learn in a training camp that he wouldnt know in the 14 games he was here? 

I hope a training camp and upgraded o-line will make a difference because I want the guy to succeed, but just watching him play he seemed so slow and had no burst when he got the football.

There are 2 sides to this argument: either you fall in the camp that Trent sucks (which is the camp Im in) or you think a training camp will somehow help this guy, which is the camp you obviously are in.

Donald Brown managed to gain yards behind this O-line, why couldnt Trent? No one really knows, but the fact remains he didnt produce at all. I personally dont thing a training camp will do any good. The guy was here for nearly a full season, 14 games. What could he learn in a training camp that he wouldnt know in the 14 games he was here? 

it took Brown 5 years to finally produce , right?  and wasn't everybody wanting to get rid of him?What did we do go out and sign Bradshaw and if stayed healthy Brown would not have got the opportunity he did.

it took Brown 5 years to finally produce , right?  and wasn't everybody wanting to get rid of him?What did we do go out and sign Bradshaw and if stayed healthy Brown would not have got the opportunity he did.

So by that line of reasoning ... if we get one year out of Richardson where he is productive as Brown was this year than he was worth the price?

I'm not really sure what to think about Richardson.. I didn't see the explosive, hard running back that I expected.. And yes I know there wasn't always truck sized holes open for him, but I saw too much dancing around for a guy we gave up a 1st for.

However, I will remain optimistic on T-Rich.. Maybe wonders will occur this offseason and he really improves his awareness and vision as a back. I hope the best for him since he is apart of the Shoe & he already has so many doubters..

Those who think TRich is garbage are quite simply ignorant. He was selected in the 1st round by one GM, and traded for a 1st rounder by another. Which brings me to 3 points.

1. A couple of NFL GMs are smarter than anyone on a forum regarding talent acquisition.

2. He had to learn on the fly...Two different NFL schemes in 2 years. It takes a lot of time for most players to learn a NFL playbook. They are complicated and must be ran precisely the way the OC draws it up. The slightest miscue results in failure 90% of the time. 

3. Our interior O-Line is terrible. Donald Brown found success because he is fast and shifty. TRich is a power runner and needs time so the blocks can develop. No blocks developed for TRich and 9 times out of 10, he was hit behind the line as soon as the play started. Also, opposing defenses stacked the box against TRich. 

I still feel like he could have contributed much more in screens and lining up in a WR slot. I don't think we utilized him properly behind this joke we called an offensive line.

Those who think TRich is garbage are quite simply ignorant. He was selected in the 1st round by one GM, and traded for a 1st rounder by another. Which brings me to 3 points.

1. A couple of NFL GMs are smarter than anyone on a forum regarding talent acquisition.

2. He had to learn on the fly...Two different NFL schemes in 2 years. It takes a lot of time for most players to learn a NFL playbook. They are complicated and must be ran precisely the way the OC draws it up. The slightest miscue results in failure 90% of the time. 

3. Our interior O-Line is terrible. Donald Brown found success because he is fast and shifty. TRich is a power runner and needs time so the blocks can develop. No blocks developed for TRich and 9 times out of 10, he was hit behind the line as soon as the play started. Also, opposing defenses stacked the box against TRich. 

I still feel like he could have contributed much more in screens and lining up in a WR slot. I don't think we utilized him properly behind this joke we called an offensive line.

Same old excuses that have been used more times than I can count, at least be original enough to come up with some new ones if you are going to start your post calling a significant portion of the posters "ignorant".

Go back and read one of the dozens of Richardson threads if you want to see your tired overused "non-ignorant" points/excuses addressed and discussed endlessly.

Not sure where the idea came that it took DB 5 yrs to produce. His yards per carry his first 3 yrs would have been TR's best year ever, 3.6 ypc as a rookie, 3.9 2nd year, 4.8 3rd year. Then 3.9 4th year and 5.3 this year. And all of those years were behind bad run blocking lines. His career avg at 4.3 exceeds just about any RB we've had. Yes he has never been given the opportunity to carry the ball a lot, but given his opportunities, he's done quite well. I'm thinking Trent would take DB's worst year at 3.6 for sure.

Richardson was dissapointing, but 879 total yards and 4 TDs isn't accomplishing "nothing".

Plus 1317 yards and 12 TDs in his rookie season. More than 2000 yards and 16 TDs isn't the most wretched stat line after 2 seasons.

He still needs to improve.

You have forgotten that Colts Nation was not always happy with Donald Brown.  The Colts coached him up over the last couple of years.  I thought Trent should have got more touches out of the spread offense when defenses couldn't stack the box.  Most of his carries came with the FB and the defense immediately put the 8th man in the box and brought run blitzes.  At times Pep was very predictable.  You can't lineup and say here we come stop us when your OL is awful.

3 down and 1 yard to go. Colts are in the I-formation. They hand it to Richardson who is hit 1 yard in the back field and manages to fall forward for a 1 yard gain; just enough for a first down.

Colts Forum: "Richardson sucks, he can't even average 3 yards a carry!"

If he was any good then why would the Browns trade him for much less then they had invested in him a year earlier ?

You dont buy a new Mercedes then trade it to your brother in-law for a Hyundai a year later.

Do you think the Colts were calling teams asking if they would trade their starting running back ? I dont think so, because nobody would. I think either the Browns approached them or the Colts called asking about someone else and were unexpectedly offered Richardson.

I would stack the line against him too, he has no speed to get outside and no moves to make anyone miss.

I can't believe the coaches didnt beat his dancing out of him, it hurt and never helped.

He can block better then Donald and he can ............ Well he blocks better then Donald.

I was never in love with Donald Brown and I still ain't. He was a bad pick made by a GM that seemed to strike out more then hit a home run with his first round picks during his last years here.

Brown stepped up his game this year, but still not enough to earn his pick either.

If you can convince me any team in the league would give a 3rd rounder for Richardson then I might reevaluate my stance, but I dont think you could get more then a 6th for him after this season. The guy did nothing.

If he was any good then why would the Browns trade him for much less then they had invested in him a year earlier ?

You dont buy a new Mercedes then trade it to your brother in-law for a Hyundai a year later.

Do you think the Colts were calling teams asking if they would trade their starting running back ? I dont think so, because nobody would. I think either the Browns approached them or the Colts called asking about someone else and were unexpectedly offered Richardson.

I would stack the line against him too, he has no speed to get outside and no moves to make anyone miss.

I can't believe the coaches didnt beat his dancing out of him, it hurt and never helped.

He can block better then Donald and he can ............ Well he blocks better then Donald.

I was never in love with Donald Brown and I still ain't. He was a bad pick made by a GM that seemed to strike out more then hit a home run with his first round picks during his last years here.

Brown stepped up his game this year, but still not enough to earn his pick either.

If you can convince me any team in the league would give a 3rd rounder for Richardson then I might reevaluate my stance, but I dont think you could get more then a 6th for him after this season. The guy did nothing.

Not that I was overly impressed with him this year (for the record I believe Brown was the better runner this year) but you can flip it around just as easy to counter what you said. If he wasn't any good then why would Grigs trade a 1st round pick for him (even after he had a chance to see him playing in the NFL for a year)?

Oh good....something new.....a Trent Richardson thread. I was wondering when one would pop up.

People who are patient would like the discussion to go away until enough time and team adjustments have elapsed before declaring the guy one way or another. Trent haters take any opportunity they can to vent and make sure everyone else knows they want their pound of flesh for the mistake the team made of trading for him.

Can we please just stop making threads about it, that will change nothing and only create arguments? To quote NFL networks fantasy dorks...."that helps no one!".

I know....someone start a thread where every single member can give their vote....yea...or nay. We'll sticky it and at the end of next season, the members who picked right can rub it in the losers face for an entire day. If you dont choose a side, then refrain from adding your 2 cents about it. Please move on for the love of pete.

Great great line I heard about Trent Richardson:

"Needs to learn how to get out of the elevator before the doors closed."

Love his potential, but he needs some good coaching and some experience to take that next step in his careeer. 

A great quote...says it all about Richardson's slowness to the hole and slowness thru the hole.

Most of the issue with Brown was that he couldn't pass protect.  He was a liability on the field because he could get the QB hit.  His rushing numbers were never as terrible as Richardson's this year.  He's always been around a 4.0 YPC guy and always been a threat to hit the homerun with his speed.

Not that I was overly impressed with him this year (for the record I believe Brown was the better runner this year) but you can flip it around just as easy to counter what you said. If he wasn't any good then why would Grigs trade a 1st round pick for him (even after he had a chance to see him playing in the NFL for a year)?

I ain't sold on Grigson as a talent evaluator yet.

He took Luck which was a no brainer, and had a decent draft that year. This past draft he did not do nearly as well and he also brought in a lot of free agents who did little or nothing.

I hope Grigson and Richardson both come back strong for the good of the team, but I dont think Richardson will, which will hurt a little, but if Grigson doesnt then it will hurt a lot.

I ain't sold on Grigson as a talent evaluator yet.

He took Luck which was a no brainer, and had a decent draft that year. This past draft he did not do nearly as well and he also brought in a lot of free agents who did little or nothing.

I hope Grigson and Richardson both come back strong for the good of the team, but I dont think Richardson will, which will hurt a little, but if Grigson doesnt then it will hurt a lot.

On the flip side, I am definitely not sold on the Browns evaluating talent. Richardson had a very solid first year for them.

If you honestly think Grigs had just a "decent" first year (draft and free agency) I think your expectations are much too lofty/unrealistic. It is not the norm to hit a home run with every acquisition (although he almost did). This year is probably more of the norm.

If he improves on both vision and decisiveness, initial burst out of the hole, and avoids being taken down by a hand.......

833030140.gif?1389497238

Then we will hopefully see the Trent we all hoped for.

Maybe he should talk to Jim Brown some more? I don't know.

Thornton lost on that block. Linebacker gets upfield and puts his helmet on Trent s knee. If the guard wins his matchup Trent is upfield. As it was, even if Trent makes the linebacker miss in the backfield the mike will clean up for very short gain.

Plays like these is why we need adequate play at guard.

Also Ballard will be back healthy I hope . I do agree they stacked line because they knew it was a run . Not exactly the situation you want.

Same old excuses that have been used more times than I can count, at least be original enough to come up with some new ones if you are going to start your post calling a significant portion of the posters "ignorant".

Go back and read one of the dozens of Richardson threads if you want to see your tired overused "non-ignorant" points/excuses addressed and discussed endlessly.

All I have to say is if you can't see the light you are ignorant. Or maybe you are just smarter than a couple of NFL GMs, one of which won GM of the year in 2012?? LOL too funny you are sir.

All I have to say is if you can't see the light you are ignorant. Or maybe you are just smarter than a couple of NFL GMs, one of which won GM of the year in 2012?? LOL too funny you are sir.

Being smarter then a GM (Jimmy Haslam for the Browns) is not a big accomplishment.....Thats basically saying someone is smarter then drafting a rb (whos position you might get a 2nd short contract out of if your lucky) while trading up to do it while also drafting a 28 year old qb ahead of Russell Wilson and Nick Foles(who went in the 3rd round) who were both much better all around QB's and younger then Weeden

"See the light" really? ... "Hallelujah" ... I see the light, and it is Trent Richardson. :lol:

You, Sir win for the best Richardson excuse yet!!! (and I am glad you managed to work "ignorant" in there again)

Never said I was smarter, but countless GM's have made plenty of mistakes ... Richardson is just likely to be one of the bigger mistakes Grigson will make during his career.

Oh good....something new.....a Trent Richardson thread. I was wondering when one would pop up.

People who are patient would like the discussion to go away until enough time and team adjustments have elapsed before declaring the guy one way or another. Trent haters take any opportunity they can to vent and make sure everyone else knows they want their pound of flesh for the mistake the team made of trading for him.

Can we please just stop making threads about it, that will change nothing and only create arguments? To quote NFL networks fantasy dorks...."that helps no one!".

I know....someone start a thread where every single member can give their vote....yea...or nay. We'll sticky it and at the end of next season, the members who picked right can rub it in the losers face for an entire day. If you dont choose a side, then refrain from adding your 2 cents about it. Please move on for the love of pete.

Now now now Warhorse, you know many members of this forum refuse to use logic because of their superior armchair GM skills paired with their ability in Madden. Also, for you to NOT defy logic and reason in your posts is blasphemy, curse you!!!!

haha