Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Read option left......

cdgacoltsfan

Every time Luck runs I pucker up and think to myself, please god don't let him die.  I personally don't want him running the ball more.

I don't know why. He has learned when to get down and it's one of the best aspects of his game.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't an option play because he was never going to hadn the ball to TRich.  It was a designed QB keep.  I know enough about football I don't need to read or hear otherwise.

It had all the elements of a read option. The only way to be able to definitively say that it WAS read option would be if the "read" defender didn't commit to the running back, and Luck handed the ball off. But we clearly left the "read" defender unblocked, and Luck appeared to make his decision based on what that defender did. Whether the QB keeps it or hands it off isn't a defining factor.

Same intent. Play action. One, the RB was behind Luck, the other, standing along side. One was a two handed pull back, the other, a one handed hold out. The only difference was the distance between the QB and the RB. It's just a hunch, but I think both were always going to stay with Luck. Great plays, and I don't care what they are called.....

Here is Pagano's thoughts when asked if he would run the read option with Luck. 

"Chuck Pagano on if Andrew Luck ran read-option: "..phone would probably ring on the sideline...telling me what time my flight was leaving."

My word, Luck has scored on this play earlier in the season.  Manning ran it a few times.  It was a great call by Pep Hamilton, it was not a read option.

This quote was from a few weeks ago.  You stated that you know a lot about football.....What do you think Chuck is going to say..somethiing like...."next time we have a fourth and one, we will be running the read option"

By the way, call it what you want, the play featured everything that people say they hate about read option. If it was just a designed keeper, the play still featured the QB keeping the ball and risking contact outside the pocket. It's still not a staple part of a pro style offense. Whether he made a read decision or it was a designed keeper, the result was still the same. And it still highlights why the very concept of the Colts using read option from time to time is not the worst idea in the world. 

It wasn't a read option, it was a QB keep with a fake hand-off. Yes it was a good play call and completely faked the Chiefs but don't mislabel a great play call as some gimmick offense

Hey coach. And how do you know what the play was? It could be a read option or fake handoff, we have no way of knowing.

A read option is when the QB receives the snap, goes through the motion of a handoff, but they have the option to either go through with the handoff or pull it out. From there, they can do pretty much whatever they want with it i.e. run or pass.  Luck clearly goes through the handoff process but pulls the ball back after the bites on TR and runs. I think you just want to argue.

Thanks for the elementary definition of a read option.  The option part is the big part... Luck was never going to hand off the ball.  The play was not designed to be a handoff to TRich under any circumstances.

BTW the elementary definition of a fake hand-off is when the QB receives the snap, goes through the motion of a handoff but keeps the ball instead of letting the RB take it.

This quote was from a few weeks ago.  You stated that you know a lot about football.....What do you think Chuck is going to say..somethiing like...."next time we have a fourth and one, we will be running the read option"

It was from March shortly after he hired Pep.  Pep mentioned in February about wanting to implement the pistol and some read option.  That was Pagano's response when asked about his thoughts on it.

Hey coach. And how do you know what the play was? It could be a read option or fake handoff, we have no way of knowing.

Nope, no way to know for certain.  Just a combination of Pagano's thoughts on the read option, understanding the situatuon and realizing that TRich did not get a carry after his fumble and realizing that is would be quite ridiculous that his first play on the field after the fumble would be on a 4th and 1.  The only way TRich was getting the ball in that situation was if KC made a mistake and the D was still on the sideline discussing the play when the ball was snapped. 

Thanks for the elementary definition of a read option.  The option part is the big part... Luck was never going to hand off the ball.  The play was not designed to be a handoff to TRich under any circumstances.

BTW the elementary definition of a fake hand-off is when the QB receives the snap, goes through the motion of a handoff but keeps the ball instead of letting the RB take it.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I was conversing with Pep. How else would you know Luck was never going to hand the ball off. Clearly you are correct and every person on the forum is wrong. Good luck next week and make sure you use the "fake handoff" a few times. Take care

It was from March shortly after he hired Pep.  Pep mentioned in February about wanting to implement the pistol and some read option.  That was Pagano's response when asked about his thoughts on it.

Pagano also said that the pistol was a fad and compared it to the wildcat, yet we've run multiple plays from that formation this season. I just don't think we can get much meaning from what Pagano said in May at this point.

Pagano also said that the pistol was a fad and compared it to the wildcat, yet we've run multiple plays from that formation this season. I just don't think that something Pagano said in May matters much at this point.

Especially when you consider his reasoning at the time. He said they wanted to protect Luck from unnecessary hits, in so many words. A designed keeper vs. a read option, no matter the intent or the name of the play, both expose Luck to contact. If we're taking Pagano's comments at face value, then ANY designed keeper is off the table. Yet, here we are, using what was either a designed keeper or a read-option, both of which Pagano suggested they wouldn't do.

I see, so shotgun it's a read option, under center it's a bootleg. The oline even blocked it the same way.

Ok, you can call it whatever you want my friend, even though it's nowhere near the same play.

Shotgun and under center has nothing to do with it it's the design and principles of the calls makes them totally different. On the bootleg Luck isn't reading anybody he is just praying that the OLB bites on the fake, the read option Luck is reading Hali the whole way if Hali would have stayed at home and played his contain he would've gave it to TRich instead Hali just crashed down like a bat out of hell to stop TRIch therefore he keeps it and takes the wide open alley,

you can run an option play under center as well as shotgun it doesn't matter. Plus Offensive lines block a lot of plays the same way, mostly depends on the defensive front how they block it

Do you honestly not know the difference between a bootleg and a zone read look? Or are you just sticking to your guns even though you realize those are two totally different plays/concepts?

lol It was CLEARLY a read option and to compare the play to the previous BOOTLEG keep in SF is laughable. All you guys keep saying "It's funny how you can read Luck's eyes with a gif har har" are Hippocrates as well when you come back and say "Luck had no intention in his mind to hand the ball of to TRich". Please remind me not to get in a room with you mind readers lol. I bet you if TRich had the open hole and the D played Luck, he would of handed it off.

lol It was CLEARLY a read option and to compare the play to the previous BOOTLEG keep in SF is laughable. All you guys keep saying "It's funny how you can read Luck's eyes with a gif har har" are Hippocrates as well when you come back and say "Luck had no intention in his mind to hand the ball of to TRich". Please remind me not to get in a room with you mind readers lol. I bet you if TRich had the open hole and the D played Luck, he would of handed it off.

I said you can see his eyes from the video I posted, http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/0ap2000000309000/Luck-y-on-4th-and-inches.

Genuine question. How wasn't that an option play?

I think the option was a fake.   I think the Colts new the Chiefs would stack the middle anticipating that's where we'd run.

I think Luck knew all along that he was going to carry the ball and try and run for the first down.

A genuine option has the option of keeping or handing off.     I don't think that was an option in this situation..........

That's what my eyes were telling me.....     your mileage may vary....

I think the option was a fake.   I think the Colts new the Chiefs would stack the middle anticipating that's where we'd run.

I think Luck knew all along that he was going to carry the ball and try and run for the first down.

A genuine option has the option of keeping or handing off.     I don't think that was an option in this situation..........

That's what my eyes were telling me.....     your mileage may vary....

Myself, I feel it was an option play. I thought I saw Luck make the read. But I respectbthe fact you package your opinion as an opinion rather than fact.

I see, so shotgun it's a read option, under center it's a bootleg. The oline even blocked it the same way.

It was a read option. You are wrong, get over it. Your lack of evidence should be a telling sign your wrong... especially when all your going on is your gut feelings of the "situation".

I loved the read option play. Every team knows we try to slam short yardage with Trent with mixed results. This play shows that going into the playoffs, this team really will be unpredictable.

Jesus, coffeedrinker... You are seriously clueless. That 4th down play was clearly a read option. You can see Luck read the end man on the line of scrimmage. He crashed down on T-Rich so he pulled the ball and took off running. If the end man on the line of scrimmage would of stayed do you really believe Luck would of loved running right into him and lose yards. I ran the read option in high school and clearly a NFL analysis said it was a read option, but you are entitled to believe what you like.

Jesus, coffeedrinker... You are seriously clueless. That 4th down play was clearly a read option. You can see Luck read the end man on the line of scrimmage. He crashed down on T-Rich so he pulled the ball and took off running. If the end man on the line of scrimmage would of stayed do you really believe Luck would of loved running right into him and lose yards. I ran the read option in high school and clearly a NFL analysis said it was a read option, but you are entitled to believe what you like.

Speaking of "seriously clueless"

You're a brand new poster....   this is your 3rd post.     Three whole posts.

And you're calling someone you don't even know "seriously clueless"?!?     Because you disagree with them?    Seriously?

Way to make a Heckuva first impression!       :thmup:

You might want to re-think you're approach........    it's not one that will wear well over time....

Or,  maybe not.    Maybe you think this is the best way to win friends and influence people?

It's entirely up to you.......

Loved the aggressiveness of the call. Was reading an article talking about how Reid didn't go for it on a 4th down and took the 3 points on the field goal obviously missing that "maybe" 4 extra points if they did go for it and scored a TD.

I like pointing out to my friends who are not Colts fans about Lucks athleticism and running ability. 

Speaking of "seriously clueless"

You're a brand new poster....   this is your 3rd post.     Three whole posts.

And you're calling someone you don't even know "seriously clueless"?!?     Because you disagree with them?    Seriously?

Way to make a Heckuva first impression!       :thmup:

You might want to re-think you're approach........    it's not one that will wear well over time....

Or,  maybe not.    Maybe you think this is the best way to win friends and influence people?

It's entirely up to you.......

Is that why you are on here, to make friends? Trust me the last thing I joined this forum for is to make friends lol. Just because I have only posted 3 times does not mean I am new to the forums. If you would of looked at my profile it would of said that I have been a member sense April. I choose to read the forums daily to see the topics on forums and other peoples thoughts. I am not going to be sorry for pointing out to someone that they are wrong with something that is pretty basic in football. 

Is that why you are on here, to make friends? Trust me the last thing I joined this forum for is to make friends lol. Just because I have only posted 3 times does not mean I am new to the forums. If you would of looked at my profile it would of said that I have been a member sense April. I choose to read the forums daily to see the topics on forums and other peoples thoughts. I am not going to be sorry for pointing out to someone that they are wrong with something that is pretty basic in football. 

Winning friends is a figure of speech.....   and the fact that you don't know that,  that you thought I meant that literally,  tells me all I need to know.

And while you've been lurking around since April,  this was your third post....   as I said,  Heckuva first impression!   

Congrats!      :thmup:

Winning friends is a figure of speech.....   and the fact that you don't know that,  that you thought I meant that literally,  tells me all I need to know.

And while you've been lurking around since April,  this was your third post....   as I said,  Heckuva first impression!   

Congrats!      :thmup:

Obviously it is a figure of speech... I was stating why would I need to "win" friends when that is not what I am here for? Trust me, what people think of me over the internet will not hinder me in any way.

Watch it real time. Watch Griffin doing real read option plays. You'll see the difference. If Luck processed and read the defense in that nano second he really is Superman (Clark Kent that is, not our own Superman). It was a planned keep.

Debate all you want, it's healthy, but some of the agression and stinky comments are misplaced.

Obviously it is a figure of speech... I was stating why would I need to "win" friends when that is not what I am here for? Trust me, what people think of me over the internet will not hinder me in any way.

You have been regularly viewing for 8 months and one of your first 3 posts in that time was just an insult. Sort of defines what your posting style may look like. Hopefully your future posts will have more debate and less personal attacks.

Welcome anyway. Enjoy.