Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Read option left......

cdgacoltsfan

.......I haven't seen anything posted about the Colts going for it ( I believe it was the 2nd quarter) on 4th and 1 slightly over midfield and having Andrew run a read option left.... Fake handoff to T-Rich and Andrew kept the ball and got about 25 yards. Completely faked out the Chiefs. I believe we got a field goal out of the drive. Kudos to Pags for going for it and kudos to Pep for the call!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That play got my second largest reaction in the game.  Biggest was the fumble recovery, but that option play-call was brilliant.  Very well executed too.  I was just about to yell at the offense for getting Trent stuffed (again) when all of a sudden I see Luck taking off.  It was great.

It wasn't a read option, it was a QB keep with a fake hand-off.  Yes it was a good play call and completely faked the Chiefs but don't mislabel a great play call as some gimmick offense

I believe Mayock said it was a read option. I'll roll with his observation. Have you read or heard otherwise?

my brother loves  the patriots and i love the colts, we get on each other about the littlest things its so funny thou. like he said ridley is going to run over the whole defesne and i was like laron Landry  is going to do the the same thing pollard did lol 

my brother loves  the patriots and i love the colts, we get on each other about the littlest things its so funny thou. like he said ridley is going to run over the whole defesne and i was like laron Landry  is going to do the the same thing pollard did lol

Punch your brother

It wasn't a read option, it was a QB keep with a fake hand-off. Yes it was a good play call and completely faked the Chiefs but don't mislabel a great play call as some gimmick offense

It was a read option play, it's just Hali crashed down so hard as soon as the ball was snapped made it a easy quick decision to keep it. A middle schooler could've read that right. Hell even the safety bit hard on that fake, they all sold out to stop Richardson because it was 4th and inches and all year we just handed it to Richardson in that situation so they sold out to stop him.

Just watch Luck's eyes, his eyes was on Hali the whole time reading him like a book

Honestly I think we have the capacity and the capabilities to run it more, we all know that Luck is dangerous using his legs and DB is dangerous enough to have a defence be focused on him.

If nothing else it's another the defence has to be aware of and plan for.

I believe Mayock said it was a read option. I'll roll with his observation. Have you read or heard otherwise?

Genuine question. How wasn't that an option play?

It wasn't an option play because he was never going to hadn the ball to TRich.  It was a designed QB keep.  I know enough about football I don't need to read or hear otherwise.

In the end I guess it really doesn't matter what people call it, the play worked but there was no way TRich's 1st carry after the fumble was going to be on 4th and 1.

It wasn't a read option, it was a QB keep with a fake hand-off.  Yes it was a good play call and completely faked the Chiefs but don't mislabel a great play call as some gimmick offense

I know there are other responses to this, but I think you are mistaken here. Luck reads the DE before he pulls the ball away from Trent.

I know there are other responses to this, but I think you are mistaken here. Luck reads the DE before he pulls the ball away from Trent.

Here is Pagano's thoughts when asked if he would run the read option with Luck. 

"Chuck Pagano on if Andrew Luck ran read-option: "..phone would probably ring on the sideline...telling me what time my flight was leaving."

My word, Luck has scored on this play earlier in the season.  Manning ran it a few times.  It was a great call by Pep Hamilton, it was not a read option.

Dustin is correct, it was an option play. However, handing it off to T-Rich isn't really an option, Luck had to keep it. so I guess he is also correct lol

"Chuck Pagano on if Andrew Luck ran read-option: "..phone would probably ring on the sideline...telling me what time my flight was leaving."

My word, Luck has scored on this play earlier in the season. Manning ran it a few times. It was a great call by Pep Hamilton, it was not a read option.

That quote is from like 2-3 months ago.

When did Luck score on that play earlier in the season? If you're talking about SF game that was a bootleg he scored on there, nowhere near the same play

A QB keep with a run fake is by definition a play action play. In a play action there is no reading of a defence or offensive line.

In this play, granted I have only seen it twice (I think), Luck took the snap and when he 'faked' the hand off he was looking at the line, not the ball. He was READING the OLB and the OLB was keyed on pounding Trent's face into the floor, so he took the OPTION to take it himself.

This play is pretty much the definition of Read Option.

And also, I agree that it is a bit of a gimmick scheme, but if you use it sparingly and in the right situation, you may not like it but it's pretty damn effective.

My word, Luck has scored on this play earlier in the season.  Manning ran it a few times.  It was a great call by Pep Hamilton, it was not a read option.

If Luck shoves the ball into Trents gut, reads the DE and chooses the option to pull it back and run.....It is in fact a "read option".

If Luck shoves the ball into Trents gut, reads the DE and chooses the option to pull it back and run.....It is in fact a "read option".

Has anyone seen whether or not Luck decided to pull that away or was it a designed play all along?  I haven't heard either way.  Awesome play.  I was a bit miffed that Luck slid as I think he could've scored or got it inside the 10.  Way too strong and fast to be tackled by DBs.

Has anyone seen whether or not Luck decided to pull that away or was it a designed play all along?  I haven't heard either way.  Awesome play.  I was a bit miffed that Luck slid as I think he could've scored or got it inside the 10.  Way too strong and fast to be tackled by DBs.

You can't tell from the replay but I think he knew he was going to keep it the whole time, probably not much faith in TR.

That quote is from like 2-3 months ago.

When did Luck score on that play earlier in the season? If you're talking about SF game that was a bootleg he scored on there, nowhere near the same play

It was exactly the same play, he faked the hand-off to the rb and ran to the left for the TD.

Yeah, that's kind of how you do a fake, you put the ball in the RB's gut and then don't let go and the RB doesn't grab it.

A read option is when the QB receives the snap, goes through the motion of a handoff, but they have the option to either go through with the handoff or pull it out. From there, they can do pretty much whatever they want with it i.e. run or pass.  Luck clearly goes through the handoff process but pulls the ball back after the bites on TR and runs. I think you just want to argue.

I dont know why read option is such a dirty word amongst some of you. It's not like we are basing an entire offense of it like some college team. It worked.

The play against the 49ers wasnt the same.

Because there is this thing called internet ego and everyone has to be right whether it's legit or technically speaking. I'm more like it was a great play that got great results at the right time. I do wished they had a few designed runs for luck just to keep that upfront in the minds of the rushing defense.

How was your trip? Forget the game, I can work that out (mostly!). Did you have a good weekend out on the tiles? Where did you go?