Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Comment on Andrew Luck NFL.com not making Pro Bowl

bap1331

Andrew Luck is a better QB than Russell Wilson. The Seahawks have the most talented roster in the NFL. The Seahawks have the 3rd most rushing attempts in the NFL. They have the best secondary in football. Andrew Luck has to do much more to keep the Colts competitive than Wilson does in Seattle. 

"Andrew Luck won't make the trip, either, but the voters got it right with Wilson." By Marc Sessler.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304772/article/2014-pro-bowl-roster-analysis-offense

Is it me or he's basically saying Wilson is better?

Congrats on a not completely ridiculous thread.

Now - what he is saying is that Wilson had a better season, which is a long way from saying he is better.

More importantly - who cares? Luck is the future of the QB position and we are fortunate to have him in Indy. There will be Pro Bowl's galore in his near future. And GM's would near universally make Luck their franchise QB over any other young QB in the league, including Wilson.

While Luck has the better potential Wilson has been better this year. Just like Luck Wilson has played behind a bad o-line and he doesn't have any great WR's. He also plays in the toughest division in football. 

Luck will make 10 or more probowls in his career but just because he's our QB doesn't mean other QB's can't have better seasons. Give Wilson credit he played great this year because i'm sure that's what Luck would have said. As great as Luck is he does have to work on his accuracy and it's been up and down even when Wayne was playing.

Stat wise you can't really have a strong argument either way.

They both have 26 total tds (Wilson 25 Pass 1 Rush, Luck 22 Pass 4 Rush). Both 9 interceptions. Wilson has around 4 more fumbles. Luck has about a 4% less completion percentage. Luck has attempted 150 more passes than Wilson (Luck 317-533, Wilson 242-384). Luck also has about 400 more yards. Wilson has rushed for 200 more yards on 30 more carries, but as mentioned before, only 1 TD to Luck's 4. 

They both have 26 total tds (Wilson 25 Pass 1 Rush, Luck 22 Pass 4 Rush). Both 9 interceptions. Wilson has around 4 more fumbles. Luck has about a 4% less completion percentage. Luck has attempted 150 more passes than Wilson (Luck 317-533, Wilson 242-384). Luck also has about 400 more yards. Wilson has rushed for 200 more yards on 30 more carries, but as mentioned before, only 1 TD to Luck's 4.

There u go then luck is better.

In fairness to both guys, Luck got the win over the Seahawks. Luck was better when the comparison was actually on the line.

QBs never play against each other, they play against defenses.  How do we know how Wilson would have done with the talent and coaching in Indy or how Luck would have done with the talent and coaching in Seattle?

If I recall correctly, Luck didn't make it last year either, but got in when other guys said they couldn't go due to injuries.  It's possible that happens again this year or a current Pro Bowl QB (or Luck himself) make the Super Bowl and can't play.  Not a big deal.  As jskinnz said, Luck is the future of the QB position and every GM in the league would take him if they could

QBs never play against each other, they play against defenses.  How do we know how Wilson would have done with the talent and coaching in Indy or how Luck would have done with the talent and coaching in Seattle?

If I recall correctly, Luck didn't make it last year either, but got in when other guys said they couldn't go due to injuries.  It's possible that happens again this year or a current Pro Bowl QB (or Luck himself) make the Super Bowl and can't play.  Not a big deal.  As jskinnz said, Luck is the future of the QB position and every GM in the league would take him if they could

QB's don't play each other at the same time?!!!

tumblr_m7jy2aLyfw1r3ovdbo1_500.jpg

While Luck has the better potential Wilson has been better this year. Just like Luck Wilson has played behind a bad o-line and he doesn't have any great WR's. He also plays in the toughest division in football. 

Luck will make 10 or more probowls in his career but just because he's our QB doesn't mean other QB's can't have better seasons. Give Wilson credit he played great this year because i'm sure that's what Luck would have said. As great as Luck is he does have to work on his accuracy and it's been up and down even when Wayne was playing.

do you think its eaiser for wilson tho cause if he messes up he knows hes got a good defense to back him up? i dont know if that plays in the mind of QBs or not i know wilson has played good tho just wondering if it makes it easier when have a defense like that

Guest TeamLoloJones

do you think its eaiser for wilson tho cause if he messes up he knows hes got a good defense to back him up? i dont know if that plays in the mind of QBs or not i know wilson has played good tho just wondering if it makes it easier when have a defense like that

I don't know if it affects a QB or not, but it sure does affect the play calling.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Pete Caroll: Good job Russell making the pro bowl, I'm so proud of you.  

Wilson: Yeah, I'm the only QB of the 2012 draft class that made it.

Caroll: Yep, and I wouldn't trade you for the world.

Wilson: Even for Andrew Luck?

Caroll: (pause) Hey! I heard you got draft by an MLB team! That's cool huh?

Wilson: You didn't answer my question.

Caroll: Hey you want a stick of gum?

Both teams were fortunate in 2012. Indy had to suck for the chance to draft a second franchise qb in acrow with superb talent and the Seahawks were extremely lucky to landva very talented qb so farvdown in the draft on a team loaded in a lot of spots, just missing a good qb. On pure passing, Luck has an edge over Wilson and Wilson has the edge over running and making the plays with his legs. Luck should last longer and be on the field more each year in theory so I'll take that. If Wilson gets more accurate down field and doesn't have to run so much, this will equal the Manning vs Brady rivalry over the years albeit different conferences. Enjoy the show

You know why people say they don't care about the pro-bowl when talking about accomplishments and stuff this is why.  The Pro-Bowl is based on things like stats most of the time.  Using that then yeah Wilson deserves to go over Luck.  However, I don't think it takes much to look at Luck's situation vs. Wilson's and realize Luck's was much more difficult.  In reality they are probably close to the same level of a player if not slightly in Luck's favor but the pro-bowl doesn't always measure guys based on that.  The Pro-Bowl voting is designed to reward players with big numbers rather than the best players in the game. 

If you have watched Wilson very much, he is MUCH more electric than Andrew Luck.....he seems to find more ways to win or at least look good doing it.  Close between the two, but I definitely go with the more flashy, especially for a Pro-Bowl.  But let Wilson have it, as long as he doesn't get to the Super Bowl, I'll be happy.

You know why people say they don't care about the pro-bowl when talking about accomplishments and stuff this is why.  The Pro-Bowl is based on things like stats most of the time.  Using that then yeah Wilson deserves to go over Luck.  However, I don't think it takes much to look at Luck's situation vs. Wilson's and realize Luck's was much more difficult.  In reality they are probably close to the same level of a player if not slightly in Luck's favor but the pro-bowl doesn't always measure guys based on that.  The Pro-Bowl voting is designed to reward players with big numbers rather than the best players in the game. 

Please see post below.  The stats don't show that Wilson has had that much better of a season.  The Seahawks have had a better season than the Colts, and I'm sure the amount of media time spent on them is a wee bit higher than the Colts too.  That is where you can get a lot of the national fan voting from. 

Please see post below.  The stats don't show that Wilson has had that much better of a season.  The Seahawks have had a better season than the Colts, and I'm sure the amount of media time spent on them is a wee bit higher than the Colts too.  That is where you can get a lot of the national fan voting from. 

Like it or not Wilson's numbers are slightly better than Luck's across the board this season.  That's why he got the nod over Luck he was rewarded for better numbers.  No it's not like Wilson threw 50 TDs to Luck's 22 or something like that, clearly it's much closer than that but Wilson's numbers are still better.  Are they better because he was on a team who had a better season?  Probably.  If Luck had all his tools would his numbers probably been better?  Yes I am sure they would have.  However, most people who vote for the Pro-Bowl don't go that deep.  Like I said before I am sure in terms of just being a QB Luck and Wilson are probably on the same level if not slanted a little bit towards Luck but again people who vote for the pro-bowl for the most part don't look at things and compare players that closely to tell that.  This is why people don't put a lot of stock in pro-bowl selections.  It's very subjective. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Like it or not Wilson's numbers are slightly better than Luck's across the board this season.  That's why he got the nod over Luck he was rewarded for better numbers.  No it's not like Wilson threw 50 TDs to Luck's 22 or something like that, clearly it's much closer than that but Wilson's numbers are still better.  Are they better because he was on a team who had a better season?  Probably.  If Luck had all his tools would his numbers probably been better?  Yes I am sure they would have.  However, most people who vote for the Pro-Bowl don't go that deep.  Like I said before I am sure in terms of just being a QB Luck and Wilson are probably on the same level if not slanted a little bit towards Luck but again people who vote for the pro-bowl for the most part don't look at things and compare players that closely to tell that.  This is why people don't put a lot of stock in pro-bowl selections.  It's very subjective. 

I'm not arguing Luck over Wilson for the pro bowl, I think they got it right and Wilson is certainly deserving...but Wilson's stats are not better across the board...

Total Yards..............Wilson 3,725...Luck 3,910

Total Touchdowns...Wilson 26........Luck 26

Total Turnovers.......Wilson 14........Luck 11

I'm not arguing Luck over Wilson for the pro bowl, I think they got it right and Wilson is certainly deserving...but Wilson's stats are not better across the board...

Total Yards..............Wilson 3,725...Luck 3,910

Total Touchdowns...Wilson 26........Luck 26

Total Turnovers.......Wilson 14........Luck 11

You are looking at total numbers not just passing numbers.  When one does you see passing TDs Wilson threw more than Luck did.  Also INTs are even at nine.  Wilsons QBR is also 15 points higher than Andrew's.  The one area Andrew seems to have on his is passing yards.  Which is great but isn't going to trump the others.  Again, I never said Wilson's numbers were far better than Andrew's but they are better for the most part till you add in running but again most fans don't look at those numbers when looking at QBs.  Honestly if MOST (which are not the ones posting on a forum) people look at stats at all they are going to look at passing TDs. 

What they are really going to look at it is that Wilson's team had one loss most of the season and that Wilson got most of the attention most of the way.  Luck's team had a big slump for pretty much all of November which is when the media put most of the pub behind pro-bowl voting.  That's probably what hurt him more than anything.  Wilson's team has been slumping lately while Luck's has been coming on and frankly by the time that happened most people had already voted. 

Again, I think Luck is the better QB but I understand why Wilson got voted to the pro-bowl and Luck didn't.  The month of November was really the difference IMO and rather that's fair or not is besides the point.  I think if you look beyond the obvious numbers and factor in other things it becomes clear Luck is the better QB but again most of the people who vote for the Pro-Bowl aren't going to do that. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

You are looking at total numbers not just passing numbers.  When one does you see passing TDs Wilson threw more than Luck did.  Also INTs are even at nine.  Wilsons QBR is also 15 points higher than Andrew's.  The one area Andrew seems to have on his is passing yards.  Which is great but isn't going to trump the others.  Again, I never said Wilson's numbers were far better than Andrew's but they are better for the most part till you add in running but again most fans don't look at those numbers when looking at QBs.  Honestly if MOST (which are not the ones posting on a forum) people look at stats at all they are going to look at passing TDs. 

What they are really going to look at it is that Wilson's team had one loss most of the season and that Wilson got most of the attention most of the way.  Luck's team had a big slump for pretty much all of November which is when the media put most of the pub behind pro-bowl voting.  That's probably what hurt him more than anything.  Wilson's team has been slumping lately while Luck's has been coming on and frankly by the time that happened most people had already voted. 

Again, I think Luck is the better QB but I understand why Wilson got voted to the pro-bowl and Luck didn't.  The month of November was really the difference IMO and rather that's fair or not is besides the point.  I think if you look beyond the obvious numbers and factor in other things it becomes clear Luck is the better QB but again most of the people who vote for the Pro-Bowl aren't going to do that. 

I think it is a stretch to say people voting don't take into account rushing numbers. 

QBs never play against each other, they play against defenses. How do we know how Wilson would have done with the talent and coaching in Indy or how Luck would have done with the talent and coaching in Seattle?

If I recall correctly, Luck didn't make it last year either, but got in when other guys said they couldn't go due to injuries. It's possible that happens again this year or a current Pro Bowl QB (or Luck himself) make the Super Bowl and can't play. Not a big deal. As jskinnz said, Luck is the future of the QB position and every GM in the league would take him if they could

Course Luck played the best D in the league and Russel played.. ours... And we won.

Luck>RW pretty easily IMO and I love Wilson.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't think most didnt.  I am sure a few did but I am sure the vast majority probably didn't look at stats at all.

You're probably right about that.

It is a popularity contest, has always been a popularity contest, and will always be a popularity contest. Besides the perennial obvious QB’s (Peyton, Tom, Drew) The Seahawks and Wilson have been the darling child of the NFL this year He has played well so why not?

Truthfully I am shocked that RG Through wasn’t on the list.

You're probably right about that.

I guess I should make my point about numbers from way earlier more clear.  I said that more with Foles name in mind in terms of a alternate because he had the game where he threw seven TDs and every time the Eagles are on TV he had the stat of going so long without INTs (mentioned so much that someone like who could really care about the Eagles knew about that stat) and I think when most people are filling out there votes they get down to the end and go oh hey that Foles guy I've heard his name mentioned a lot this year and he had that seven TD game he seems like he's having a good season.  I'll vote for him.  With Luck I think the perception is that because of all the first half struggles and the big blow outs (and the bad performance on MNF vs. the Chargers plus weak first halves in the Titans and Texans during prime-time) right during prime pro-bowl voting time people just assumed he wasn't having a great season and he just didn't get votes.  Most people don't dig that deep when voting on that they just vote for guys they either like or have heard their name mentioned during the season normally because of doing something with big numbers like Foles did and the seven TD game or they are just a legacy like Manning or Brady (again not that either doesn't deserve to go). 

who cares? probowl is not something you should look for to measure skill. If you have a bunch of amazing plays, you'll get in. Which doesn't mean you played amazing EVERY DOWN ( some room for error). I think the all pro team is what you look at for true measures. Sadly we won't have anyone who makes that team, but oh well.

Greg Cosell. 12/23/13   "It's not close"...  

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

RG3 last year...    this season Russel W...    with one of the most dominating D's in the NFL.....   

Here are some "advanced" stats...   

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?*=QB  

And this is the same site that all the Luck haters used against AL last year... 

Heheheh   I get so mad when I hear Russel Wilson is this "great" QB.

whatever..............

I really hope it's Luck or Manning getting it done.  

I believe that Wilson & Luck are on the same level as very good young QBs.

Wilson gets the nod because his team is better and they have a better record.

Nobody really cares about the Pro Bowl anyway, so I won't either.

Greg Cosell. 12/23/13 "It's not close"...

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

RG3 last year... this season Russel W... with one of the most dominating D's in the NFL.....

Here are some "advanced" stats...

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?*=QB

And this is the same site that all the Luck haters used against AL last year...

Heheheh I get so mad when I hear Russel Wilson is this "great" QB.

whatever..............

I really hope it's Luck or Manning getting it done.

What is WPA? His ranking is based off that, whereas when you click the others he starts dropping down the list. Furthermore, why do you get "so mad" because someones opinion is different than yours, especially when at the end of the day means absolutely nothing.