Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

sheppard hughes trade

CR91

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason Hughes wasn't working out here, and we got Sheppard for him, who has been solid for us, Hughes does have 10 sacks on the year, so good for him that he worked out there. Seems like a win-win trade to me, we got a solid linebacker, they got a solid defensive end who is starting to realize his potential

Laughable.

Hughes had 4 sacks his 1st year in this D rotating behind Mathis and Freeney is rush situations.

With Freeney gone 100% reason to expect 6+ sacks in year two.

You and the ?? who said Sheppard has been solid should hang out. LOL

How about you pay more attention to their play on the field there bud, Kelvin Sheppard has been solid, especially since he has started for Angerer

honestly what I think was the thing with hughes was the pressure of trying to replace one perhaps two hall of famers in freeney and mathis. some players like luck can handle the pressure of replacing a HOFer some cant. in buffalo, theres no pressure so he can just focus on being himself

Im not gonna say who won or lost.  I will say that way before the trade I thought that Hughes should have gotten the job as starter.

Over who, Mathis? Mathis is our rush linebacker.....I don't see Hughes playing well  in Walden's position. Hughes wasn't going to be an ILB like Sheppard is.

honestly what I think was the thing with hughes was the pressure of trying to replace one perhaps two hall of famers in freeney and mathis. some players like luck can handle the pressure of replacing a HOFer some cant. in buffalo, theres no pressure so he can just focus on being himself

The thing with Hughes was that he was a raw, prototypical 34 OLB who needed time to develop and was drafted out of position.

Good for Hughes.  I don't mind that he's having success in Buffalo.  For whatever reason, he wasn't going to have success here anyway.  We're on the verge of 11-5, so it's all good.  Now I'm just hoping that another trade worksout and TRich makes his statement in the play-offs and Cleveland ends up with the 32nd pick overall.

Once again folks, it takes 3 years minimum to see the true value of a trade.  It all about lasting success not immeadiate success

best to look at this again in 2015 then we can see who really won

Ummm, no. It doesn't take three years to see the value of a trade like this. It was a veteran player for a veteran player. One has given his team excellent production at a premium position, the other has been very inconsistent and has done little to make a difference for his team. The Bills won this trade six ways to Sunday.

Might take longer to see the value of a draft day trade, or a trade involving younger prospects that can't or don't contribute right away. Or if it's a vet for vet trade and both players perform well to begin with (like Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis.) But for something like this, the proof is clear right away.

The thing with Hughes was that he was a raw, prototypical 34 OLB who needed time to develop and was drafted out of position.

He played DE at TCU. I think you're trying to say his skill set and abilities were more suited for a 34 OLB opposed to playing DE in the NFL? To which I agree. I remember Mathis talking about Hughes last year, when Pagano was getting the players up to speed in his system, and Mathis raved about how natural and good Hughes looked playing the position.

I guess you could say it was a win for Buffalo, but would he have been as good here? That we will never know. Sheppard will more than likely be gone next year or a special teamer at most. Freeman and Mcnary will be the horses inside next year, and I would keep a watchful eye on Justin Hickman, I think he might be another star in the making if he can get healthy next year and continue his transition inside because he looked very promising. The Colts could actually have 3 stud ILB's if all goes well.