Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep breaks out the pistol formation.

Dustin

This was the best called game both offensively and defensively this entire season. For the first time I did not find myself screaming for Pep's head, and threatening to throw the remote through the TV.

Kudo's where they are due to the Colts coaches this week, let's make this a trend.

Do you mean use it as a change of pace or what? A couple of plays, i wouldn't mind, but not more than that. I think denver uses it as well, so maybe its not so bad.

I was trying to figure out what you mean when you said it was a "gimmick." It's basically a modified shotgun formation. And you have a ton of play calling versatility out of it.

I'm actually very happy that Pep is trying to modify his offensive scheme and not insisting on the 22 personnel quite as much as he once did anymore.  Seems to me that the guy is keeping track of what works and  what doesn't.  He might be doing it slower than we'd all prefer, but his play calling has changed over time.  He's running more draws/traps/screens to mix it up, or at least he did today.  And when he did, we got some good yardage out of it.  I'm slowly but surely trusting Pep a bit more...

I think you're associating the pistol with the read-option.

I wrote a thread a few months back detailing the differences if you're interested:

http://forums.colts.com/topic/18429-pistol-vs-read-option/

Then i'm for it, if it keeps luck from substaining needless hits. Thanks for the link. Yeah, i thought it was similiar to read option that requires a mobile QB, but then i remembered that denver uses it.LOL.

I'm actually very happy that Pep is trying to modify his offensive scheme and not insisting on the 22 personnel quite as much as he once did anymore.  Seems to me that the guy is keeping track of what works and  what doesn't.  He might be doing it slower than we'd all prefer, but his play calling has changed over time.  He's running more draws/traps/screens to mix it up, or at least he did today.  And when he did, we got some good yardage out of it.  I'm slowly but surely trusting Pep a bit more...

I love that T-RICH delayed shuffle pass that he uses in the redzone. GOTTA USE THAT AGAIN.

No, it does not. If there's any formation that's true of, it's empty backfield, and no one complains about that (besides me).

I did enough complaining about the empty backfield formations under Arians playcalling last year, At some point I just said....whatever and thats carried over to Peps playcalling with empty backfield sets