Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 ruled out

Day at the Hilton

For the love of pete people, you discard injured players as if they have zero value in their first season with the team. My only wish is that I could toss fans in the same fashion. 

Yeah... I mean one guy wants him cut today. I'm still trying to figure out what that would accomplish. BTW... you can just toss the fans you don't like by hitting the ignore button. Just thinking ... maybe you already do that and are not reading this post......

Outta the 5 out they are all FA that's got pretty good money/salary that's a sign that they need to get cut loose cause we need players who can help make a run at the Lombardi obviously. But I thought grigson aimed for a little above average players in FA and not the big names cause he wanted hard and reliable players that sure back fired against us!

Time to put Toler on IR and cut him at end of season.... as good as he looked, he can't get healthy. He goes limited practice and is gimpiing around the practice facility after and the next 2 days. Colts need to move on.

That wouldn't do us any good at this point and I doubt anyone foresaw him sitting this long. He just needs to play in a game before the playoffs. If he comes back the 1st game of the playoffs and is starting, it's not going to be pretty.

He can help us if he's ready and you need more than health to be ready.

Yeah... I mean one guy wants him cut today. I'm still trying to figure out what that would accomplish. BTW... you can just toss the fans you don't like by hitting the ignore button. Just thinking ... maybe you already do that and are not reading this post......

Ya, I do....I am at about 36 at the moment.  :thmsup:

Well at this point in the season all the above players I said cut doesn't help us at all you guys are right I should've said after the season is over cause I think grigson put together thier contract that way to save us from cap salary etc...

Cutting RJF Landry Walden at all would be stupid they have all done good this year

RJF and walden has not done good neither has Cher I say keep Landry and Cher cause we need all the Oline men as possible!

RJF has 2.5 sacks redding only has 1 more Cher is one of the better rated RT and is the one real bright spot on our line walden has done good too he's setting the edge just fine

greg toilet paper is soft, sit back collect your check and axe him next yr grigson out smarted him self this time injury history , injury prone , I hope the nfl fined the colts for not reporting greg toilet groin tear, oh..it was a only a lv 1 pull oh..

You want the Colts to axe Greg Toler? That sounds like something a serial killer would do. Not sure that would be the greatest idea. Pending on how many people from the Colts organization in were involved in this brutal and bloody axing, many could be charged with mutiple counts including murder.

Okay I'm not really the smartest person when it comes to salary cap (I play with the option "off" in Madden so never really learned the concept)

How is it if we do cut Greg Toler or Samson Satele it benefits us instead of hurting us?

I'm not either but go to the salary cap thread superman started he explained it to me lol

Okay I'm not really the smartest person when it comes to salary cap (I play with the option "off" in Madden so never really learned the concept)

How is it if we do cut Greg Toler or Samson Satele it benefits us instead of hurting us?

First, the salary cap in Madden isn't real.

Second, what's your question about Toler and Satele? Just to be clear, cutting either of them right now doesn't help us, as their salaries for this season are guaranteed. Even if they weren't guaranteed, we'd only be saving 3/17ths of their base salary at this point. 

First, the salary cap in Madden isn't real.

Second, what's your question about Toler and Satele? Just to be clear, cutting either of them right now doesn't help us, as their salaries for this season are guaranteed. Even if they weren't guaranteed, we'd only be saving 3/17ths of their base salary at this point.

Numerous posts above state that cutting Greg Toler &/or Samson Satele help us in the cap instead of hurting.

My question is how is that possible? Isn't cutting someone while they're still under contract always hurtful to the cap?

Numerous posts above state that cutting Greg Toler &/or Samson Satele help us in the cap instead of hurting.

My question is how is that possible? Isn't cutting someone while they're still under contract always hurtful to the cap?

The short answer is no, cutting someone isn't always hurtful to the cap. It can be, but it depends on the contract, mostly the signing bonus.

Player contracts vary, so I'll just give the plain Jane version of an explanation:

If you sign a player for three years, the signing bonus you give them gets split evenly over the three years of the contract. Then you get to split the remaining value of the contract however you want, based on negotiations, into salary over the years of the contract.

So, easy math, if a player signs for three years, and has a $3m signing bonus, that bonus counts at $1m/year. Then you apply the salary on each year, and let's just call it $4m/year. You have a cap hit of $5m each year, consisting of $1m bonus and $4m base salary.

If you cut the player before the contract expires, all of the remaining bonus stays on the cap, but you don't have to pay the base salary. So taking the above scenario, you cut this player after Year 1 of the contract, you're saving the $4m/year for the remaining two years. But the remaining $2m in bonus goes against your cap. So you have $2m in dead money. You're saving $3m against the cap.

If you gave a guy a really big signing bonus, and more than one year is left on the contract, that's when cutting a guy starts to cost you more than what you save. Or if a guy has a really low base salary, you might have more in dead money than what you save. 

In Toler's case, the dead cap hit would be $667k, compared to a cap hit of $4.83m. In Satele's case, the dead cap hit would be $1m, compared to a cap hit of $5m.

Cutting a contract before the cut off date for this season (sometime in late march I believe) would free up cap space for next year (depending on contract structure) that could be used to sign someone else. Its a future building concept that has no relevancy on this season.

Cutting Satele before the cutoff date would give us $4 million more in cap space to play with in free agency next year. Toler's contract is structured in such a way that cutting him would result in almost no penalty (same with Walden and many of the FA Grigson signed this year).

You want the Colts to axe Greg Toler? That sounds like something a serial killer would do. Not sure that would be the greatest idea. Pending on how many people from the Colts organization in were involved in this brutal and bloody axing, many could be charged with mutiple counts including murder.

judge by your avatar that write down your alley , lol jk but  jim irsay cant be happy nor ryan 

We're gonna have to replace Toler this offseason just isn't working out with him

The ideal situation is we cut Toler and that will give us an extra 4 million in cap space, then sign Sam Shields. Followed by drafting a DB with one of our first 3 picks in the draft. Realistically we just keep Toler /:

Why is everyone in love with Toler? Last few games he did play he was getting ate up!

The defense has been garbage without him. The simple solution is that his presence makes the defense as a whole better. The more complex answer is Manusky's complete incompetence in adjusting his scheme to adverse situations.