Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Fitzgerald

Manning1887

Per ESPN and Adam Schefter the Cardinals are open to trading Larry Fitzgerald AFTER the season. This team is not going to compete for a playoff spot this year so what do you think it would take to obtain him THIS season?

Keep in mind that Larry is 30 and has had a myriad of minor injuries of late. Also, he has an albatross of a cap number for 2014 that, in combination with his age, will keep his trade value lower. The Colts will have some cap room again next summer, so we should be able to absorb some of that. Larry may be willing to re-work his deal to play for a contender.

I have been of the mind the Colts should just stick with what they have, but a guy like Larry can really boost the offense. He should have a solid 5 to 6 more years of productivity ahead of him.

If the price is right, say a 2nd next year and a 2nd in 2015, I would have to consider that trade.

Who wouldn't love to have him and I don't see you getting him for less than a first round pick and a couple of more picks.  I also don't see the Cardinals waiting till 2015 to get that first round pick so I don't think we have the picks to get him this year.  With that said I am sure Grigson is going to explore it because again who wouldn't want to have Fitz?

That's before you even look at his contract which is not cheap.

Guest TeamLoloJones

They wouldn't. When was the last time BB actually traded a first round pick? 

When was the last time a talent like Larry Fitzgerald was on the trading block?

Guest TeamLoloJones

But has since had a complete turnaround apparently with that to ever aince his diagnosis

Yes he has.  Kind of proud of him actually. I'm not sure why but I've always been a fan of Marshall's.

Per ESPN and Adam Schefter the Cardinals are open to trading Larry Fitzgerald AFTER the season. This team is not going to compete for a playoff spot this year so what do you think it would take to obtain him THIS season?

Keep in mind that Larry is 30 and has had a myriad of minor injuries of late. Also, he has an albatross of a cap number for 2014 that, in combination with his age, will keep his trade value lower. The Colts will have some cap room again next summer, so we should be able to absorb some of that. Larry may be willing to re-work his deal to play for a contender.

I have been of the mind the Colts should just stick with what they have, but a guy like Larry can really boost the offense. He should have a solid 5 to 6 more years of productivity ahead of him.

If the price is right, say a 2nd next year and a 2nd in 2015, I would have to consider that trade.

well, might as well trade him now. Hes not gonna be very motivated for playing with the Cardinals now that they know they are willing to trade him.

Dumb move on the Cardinals announcing this...

Pretty sure if/when Fitzgerald is traded, he'll redo his contract.

It's possible the Cards may release him next season. But he's not going to play for anything we can afford.

From Fox Sports:

"a trade would become more likely but would also become more challenging due to the contract extension Fitzgerald signed a little over a year ago. When that deal kicks in after the season, Fitzgerald's salary for 2014 will go up to $12.75 million, and his cap hit will be a whopping $18 million. In addition, Fitzgerald has an $8 million roster bonus due before the 2015 season, so any team acquiring him would be making a huge financial commitment to a player who is most likely near the end of his prime."