Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So will Bradshaw continue to get half the carries?

COLT in J-ville

You give a little to both at the start and then just keep feeding whomever is having a good game.

I agree.. but I just wonder if we ultimately play T-Rich much more because of the first round.. kinda like the Braves refusing to bench Uggla and BJ Upton because of their huge contracts even though they are the 2 worst hitters in baseball.. I don't think our staff is that egotistical though..

- sorry to throw in baseball but it was a good example ;)

I know people may think i'm crazy by saying this but.... i think that IF we resign bradshaw after this year... we will release vick ballard AND keep donald brown. This seems like the most effective way to me. If ballard richardson and bradshaw stayed, we would have 3 runners with all similar skill sets. Brown is more of a speed/quickness back that will bring a change of pace.  

I know people may think i'm crazy by saying this but.... i think that IF we resign bradshaw after this year... we will release vick ballard AND keep donald brown. This seems like the most effective way to me. If ballard richardson and bradshaw stayed, we would have 3 runners with all similar skill sets. Brown is more of a speed/quickness back that will bring a change of pace.  

If we get rid of Ballard it will be a trade, and a low one at that.

Or will Richardson end up getting more and more? I don't think you can just take the ball out of Bradshaw's hands right now.

I guess we did give up a 1st rounder for T-Rich, so he obviosuly will get a lot of carries.. but will this be 2006 Rhodes/Addai or is Bradshaw gonna be sitting a lot in the future?

I sure as heck hope that Bradshaw gets AT LEAST half the carries.

He is much better (experienced) at finding a small crease and making good yardage.

Brown is very easily replaceable. If you want a scatback, go get a real scatback. 

I've defended Donald Brown a lot, not because I like him, but because I don't hate him. But I don't see us resigning him and getting rid of Ballard, not at all. The money doesn't make sense, and Ballard is the better back, especially now that Ballard looks like a pro in pass protection. 

More likely, we let Bradshaw and Brown walk, keep Richardson and Ballard, and figure something else out at RB3/4. 

I think Superman has the long-term projection correct.....

As for the remainder of this season,  I would not be surprised to see Richardson eventually get the majority of the carries,  but not by a lot....

I can see TR getting 16...    I can see AB getting 12....     I can see DB getting 4....    and I can see Luck scrambling a few times for 2-4 carries....      

There's 34-36 carries a game right there....

Bradshaw will still get a lot of work.   And there will be some games where he gets more touches than Trent.   But most of the time, Richardson will be the lead guy and Bradshaw the back-up....

Just my view of things....

What Pagano or one of the coaches said and I believe Phil Simms said it during the game was that "the hotter guy will get the ball"

So if Bradshaw is performing well, then I would assume he gets it. If Rich is doing well, same thing.

At least for this season, I would expect Bradshaw to continue to be the #1 back in the Colts RB rotation unless he's slowed by injury.   Bradshaw has produced his entire career when healthy -- 7 year career 4.6 ypc ave, and a top pass protector.  No bad years at all (although a lot of fumbles in 2010).  Richardson and Brown are great for getting Bradshaw some rest and are nice insurance when/if Bradshaw gets injured.. but I don't see either of them approaching Bradshaw's productivity when he's healthy.

Next year with Ballard back it's hard to imagine the Colts keeping Ballard, Bradshaw, and Richardson.  I kind of expect Bradshaw will be the odd man out in that case given both Ballard and Richardson are young and still on bargain rookie contracts, but for this year a healthy Bradshaw would seem to be a clear #1, IMO.  Maybe 15-20 touches a game for Bradshaw?

I think moving forward.. we will work towards about a 65/35 split between Richardson and Bradshaw but that really depends on this upcoming game. Richardson would have had about a week and a half to learn the offense and should at least know it well enough to show flashes and if he doesn't versus a very poor Jaguars defense, then who knows how we will do moving forward.

Bradshaw might be on a 1 year contract but I think you seriously consider bringing him back.  

This kid brings such a champions mentality to the team, I think his impact is greater than what

people are accounting for.  Based on what I've seen so far, Tom Coughlin can't be very happy

about losing Bradshaw. They need to be pretty careful about what they decide to do at running back

It makes no cap space sense. Ballard is still on a 5th round rookie contract and Brown would fall under a veteran players contract. There are too many games to be played this season to think about that now. One injury could change everything just like the Ballard injury did. 

It makes no cap space sense. Ballard is still on a 5th round rookie contract and Brown would fall under a veteran players contract. There are too many games to be played this season to think about that now. One injury could change everything just like the Ballard injury did. 

it's just, If bradshaw is resigned, I just don't see how ballard fits into the offense.

It's going to be the Indy version of Foster and Tate, but with a more narrow spread between the two. Ahmad's definitely going to get his fair share of touches, and I think Donald Brown will continue to get a handful of touches per game (which is a spot he can be quite effective in if we send him in after Richardson and Bradshaw have already beaten up a defense).

I don't see T-Rich as the "all about me" type of guy. I think he just wants to win. We obviously brought him here for a reason, and gave us a 1st to boot.

He is use to it from his time at Alabama.. He split carries with Ingram and took on a secondary role and then he split carries with Eddie Lacy and took about 65-70% of the workload. He is use to a committee approach.. I love it because the tread on the tires is definitely going to take awhile to wear down.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I love the Back by committee approach, 150 yards on the ground is still 150 yards on the ground whether thats by 1 Back or 2

Ditto...it keeps guys fresh throughout the game, and throughout the season. And that's the biggest key when you run a power run scheme and want to wear down the other team.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I get what you are saying...I thought about it myself. I think if we do resign Bradshaw, they will have to decide if they want a 4th RB on the roster do be the change of pace.  Ballard is safe in my opinion. I know this won't happen but my perfect backfield for the Colts next year would be....TRhich- Starter/ Ballard-Backup/ Bradshaw-3rd Down Back/ De'Anthony Thomas(Draft)- KR scat back. Then develop De'Anthony for a year to replace Bradshaw after next year.  The probelm is Thomas will go in the early 2nd round more than likely.  If he fell all the way to the fourth round I would take him.

Im thinking for next year Ideally (at this early stage anyway)

Starter-Bradshaw

Back up-Ballard

3rd down back-Richardson

Realistically I think

Starter-Richardson

Back up-Ballard

3rd down Back -Zach Baughman late round pick 6th or 7th, has experience running behind a FB as well as without a FB, shows good hands to catch out of the backfield, Does not have elite speed but good enough speed to gain big yards, can make a defender miss

I'd love to have Bradshaw back, Bradshaw is an extremely hard runner with good speed, hands and vision over Baughman but I dont think we will bring Bradshaw back

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now