Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Excellent article on Peyton Manning's frustration

chad hugo

It really highlights his frustration and his ability to not just walk away from the game. Explains how much of a control freak he really is, which can be a good and bad thing and how he differentiates himself from others. After reading this , i appreciate his service and dedication to the game even more than i had before.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7058083/nfl-peyton-manning-confronts-body-own-limitations-espn-magazine

Fantastic article. I can understand the feeling of helplessness and being unable to control what's happening to you, because it is.. out of your control. And as a fellow control freak, its a never ending mental battle with yourself. Depression can sink in, not fully wanting to face the unknown. Closing the door on people while you struggle with the internal battle. But in all the stages, there will be moments of highs and moments of lows. In the end, the process will proceed and one of two outcomes will occur. Either he will heal and return to playing or he will not and a new chapter of his life will begin. What's happening to him is difficult to understand looking from the outside in, but if I know the way Manning thinks, and i think I do, his life line to becoming healthy again mentally and physically is to stay connected to football through coaching Painter through the season.

Wish Manning all the best in his time of recovery.

Thanks, Chad. :) That is a very interesting article.

The only part that was wrong was about 'silencing his critics'. He will never silence them. The people who criticize him are either jealous of him or are brainwashed by the Pat' homers at espn, and they will never change.

We see now what the team really looks like without him, yes, he's that good.

:blueshoe:IndyLady :blueshoe:

Good article. I loved this line: Manning has turned the ultimate team game into something closer to golf: He doesn't compete against opponents as much as against his own limits

There's no way this is the end. The writer kind of put a spin on it that this is the possible end of Manning's career and while that is certainly possible, it is very very unlikely. From what I've heard/seen/read, the operation he had allows him to be back at 100% after the 3-4 months and he will have no recurring pain from this injury. If Peyton can play through this injury and put up the number we saw him put up these last few seasons, imagine what he will do when there is no nagging neck pain!

After reading this article and hearing how they dug out his disk like crab-meat, and favoring his-right side with his neck, how can we imagine him playing again? This looks bad and I realize he's only in his 3rd or 4th week of rehab/healing, but I'm afraid we've seen the last of the great Peyton Manning.

After reading this article and hearing how they dug out his disk like crab-meat, and favoring his-right side with his neck, how can we imagine him playing again? This looks bad and I realize he's only in his 3rd or 4th week of rehab/healing, but I'm afraid we've seen the last of the great Peyton Manning.

Dude do you EVER post anything NOT NEGATIVE??? Many docs have stated this surgery was a career saver. There are no guarantees in life, but geez man, I'd put my money on him playing again...

I really think after 4 mos it will be hard to throw at full strength. i just think its gonna be next yr.

I agree. At this point, he should just be IR'd so we can get another person on the roster to prove himself for next year's team. Take the year off, don't rush anything, come back next year and set the league on fire!

Dude do you EVER post anything NOT NEGATIVE??? Many docs have stated this surgery was a career saver. There are no guarantees in life, but geez man, I'd put my money on him playing again...

*sigh*

+1

Surgery is too often made out to be either barbaric or ridiculously precise by those whose predetermined goal is to criticize or praise it. Kind of like being a fan in sports, though, I suppose. It is what it is.

This is the single most common neck surgery done in this country, though manning had an old-school variation for a variety of reasons. It's only an overnight stay in the hospital, and that's only to observe for a rare complication.

For what it's worth, the quiet demeanor of the team's neurosurgeons relative to Peyton playing next year has been described as "positive". And that's the only clue that will make it out for probably 3-9 months.

Relax and watch angerer tackle and painter learn slowly, and that's what we'll get for 2011.

It really highlights his frustration and his ability to not just walk away from the game. Explains how much of a control freak he really is, which can be a good and bad thing and how he differentiates himself from others. After reading this , i appreciate his service and dedication to the game even more than i had before.

http://espn.go.com/n...s-espn-magazine

Great Read thanks, hope u dont mind I credited u and posted it to direct colts blog

While we do not know when, or if he is able to return, I remain confident of one thing. If anyone has the work ethic and determination to return from an injury of this type, it is Peyton Manning. I also think that we may see a man that is in incredible aerobic health. If the pain is relieved and he has anything left, he will be back with a vengeance.

http://espn.go.com/n...s-espn-magazine

I dont like ESPN but that's a very good article..

Even as a fan of a sometimes-bitter rival it's sad to read this. I am, first and foremost, a fan of the game itself, and hope that Manning beats the odds. Hall of Fame players should go out on their own terms. The best example of a career "cut short" in my lifetime was that of Cam Neely, who was the best power-forward-type to ever play hockey, IMO. I hope that Manning makes it back and continues to have success. The league isn't the same without one of our biggest rivals.

I know this maybe looking into it to much, but I question the validity of the article becuase I know at least one of the comments by the author is not correct. The author stated "Unlike Brady, who says he wants to play until he's 40, Manning has never placed an arbitrary number on his career". Yes Peyton has, seen him say it many times...16 years is what he has said many times. Does the author really know Peyton? If he does not know this, or follow Peyton, and did not talk to him for this article isn't a lot of this pur conjecture?

I know this maybe looking into it to much, but I question the validity of the article becuase I know at least one of the comments by the author is not correct. The author stated "Unlike Brady, who says he wants to play until he's 40, Manning has never placed an arbitrary number on his career". Yes Peyton has, seen him say it many times...16 years is what he has said many times. Does the author really know Peyton? If he does not know this, or follow Peyton, and did not talk to him for this article isn't a lot of this pur conjecture?

But what's 16 years..agent..

Does this year count..

..and nobody really knows Peyton...

Even as a fan of a sometimes-bitter rival it's sad to read this. I am, first and foremost, a fan of the game itself, and hope that Manning beats the odds. Hall of Fame players should go out on their own terms. The best example of a career "cut short" in my lifetime was that of Cam Neely, who was the best power-forward-type to ever play hockey, IMO. I hope that Manning makes it back and continues to have success. The league isn't the same without one of our biggest rivals.

The ne patriots ....

Edited by Maureen
Rude and Inflammatory Post

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - quoted post removed
Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - quoted post removed

The ne patriots are known cheaters. If you were a true 'fan of the game', you wouldn't be a fan of those scrubs.

Meh. That's like saying if we were true fans of the game we would not support a team that gave up on a perfect season. We are all fans of our teams, perfect or not.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - Rude and inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, October 11, 2011 - Rude and inflammatory

Meh. That's like saying if we were true fans of the game we would not support a team that gave up on a perfect season. We are all fans of our teams, perfect or not.

You are comparing Colts with the cheating patriots? How dare you. You are ignored.