Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do We Go After Vontae Leach If Released Tomorrow?

HtownColt

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck Pagano did have that slip up at the Combine and saying Vontae Leach instead of Vontae Davis and said "Blame it on the Chemo", that's when I knew he had left a good impression when Pagano was in Baltimore. I knew it was a good chance we go after him after how much we preach running the ball and stopping the run. Hopefully we will be the team running it downs people's throats and not the other way around like its been in the past.

I read somewhere I think it was Paul Kuharsky of ESPN say we still have 8+ mil in cap space remaining, I don't know usually how much teams keep open for IR and the regular season.

He's the best FB in the league, but we don't even know if this offense has a use of a FB yet, so while it's fun to think about him in a Colts uniform, there is simply no telling how plausible it is.

"They're definitely getting work. The fullback has been on the field a lot. I haven't charted it or anything, but I would say the fullback was on the field around 35-40 percent of the time."- George Bremer of the Herald Bulliten who been at OTA's

Chuck Pagano did have that slip up at the Combine and saying Vontae Leach instead of Vontae Davis and said "Blame it on the Chemo", that's when I knew he had left a good impression when Pagano was in Baltimore. I knew it was a good chance we go after him after how much we preach running the ball and stopping the run. Hopefully we will be the team running it downs people's throats and not the other way around like its been in the past.

I read somewhere I think it was Paul Kuharsky of ESPN say we still have 8+ mil in cap space remaining, I don't know usually how much teams keep open for IR and the regular season.

More likely it was because Pagano had only known one Vonte his entire life before the Colts.

Paul Kuharsky @espn_afcsouth 3h

Don't expect the #Colts to pursue FB Vonta Leach.

@Finn_Dingo 3h

@espn_afcsouth I've read that they have already extended an invitation.

Paul Kuharsky @espn_afcsouth 3h

@Finn_Dingo Where did you read it is a key element to that. I'm told, very reliably, they aren't interested.

@Finn_Dingo 2h

@espn_afcsouth @coltsinsider tweeted it yesterday. I tend to trust you @espn_afcsouth, just relaying what I read.

Graham's tweet from yesterday......

Dan Graham @coltsinsider 16h

#Colts are inviting Vonte Leach for a visit, encouraging him to work out for #Dolphins first. ?? A running game and new ID #Colts coming!

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. I trust Paul over Dan. So take it for what it's worth. I do this for free, and have the same sources as you guys. lmao

He would be an absolute dream in short-yardage run blocking.

I would love this signing.

Fixed it for you.

I mentioned to someone else a couple days ago, if you can, go back and watch the 2010 season opener against the Texans. Vonta Leach helped make Arian Foster a rich man.

Fixed it for you.

I mentioned to someone else a couple days ago, if you can, go back and watch the 2010 season opener against the Texans. Vonta Leach helped make Arian Foster a rich man.

I should have said especially in short yardage. And I could see him helping greatly with our red zone efficiency as well.

He really is in a class of his own when it comes to lead blocking.

Andrew Luck would be a very dangerous man with a backfield like this to compliment him.

Last I checked fullbacks run and block there "we don't need any more RBs" stands as is.

This is just plain misguided.

Leach is a freaking road grader.  I can't even begin to compare the guy to Ballard, Bradshaw, Brown, or Carter.  They each do completely different things.

We don't need RBs, but if you think the NFL is terrified by Havili, um, just... no.

Looks like the Giants are getting involved in the Leach sweepstakes.

From Rotoworld:

In addition to the Dolphins, the Giants have reached out to free agent FB Vonta Leach.
Leach is further along in Dolphins discussions, as he's lined up a visit for Wednesday. The Giants have interest because starting lead blocker Henry Hynoski is recovering from knee surgery. Hynoski is expected back early in the season, if not by Week 1. Miami has a greater need and more cap space. Jun 11 - 7:28 PM

We know that coach Chuck covets Leach... remember after the playoff game (I think) last season when he accidentally said Vontae Leach instead of Davis?

I'm really floored by the sheer amount of activity that has gone on in the two offseasons that Grigs has been here...Every time I think about making a post with my predictions for the 53 man roster, we add a starter.. It has been amazing.

By the way, there will be at least as much activity next offseason as well.. we have a ton of FAs that we will have to re-sign or replace... I think we added 2 or 3 to that list with one-year contracts...

Its definitely a topic for a different thread, but I would like to see what some of you think with regard to who will be our biggest priority FAs to re-sign and who you guys think will be playing their last downs for the Colts this season...  If nobody starts that thread soon, I will. Off the top of my head, I'd say Davis should be our top priority and Donald Brown will not be re-signed (if he even makes the roster this year)

Back to the topic... I have already said that I'd love to have Leach.. I don't think we need any more help at FB, but you don't pass on the chance to get the premier player at any position if the price is right... I'll be the last person to complain if Leach signs here.. I could see a RB room consisting of Ballard/Bradshaw/Leach/Havil, with Williams returning kicks... I could also see us stashing Williams on the PS and keeping Brown for a change of pace and possibly letting our other FBs go.. Leach is an underrated pass catcher. I don't really expect us to outbid the Dolphins, though... Like many have noted.. we are as solid at FB as we have been in recent memory..

Kuharsky has an article on espn using a comparison between Vontae Leach

and Greg Jones(Texans). A scout is asked about the issue and he came to

the same conclusion I did. I'll take the guy who is versatile and can block

over the guy who is just able to block. Although he is a hell of a blocker.

"Fullback is not a position of need, no matter the good feelings and sentimentality they may have for Leach. He’s only six months younger than Jones.

Circumstances change, sure. But as good as Leach is, he’s not so much better than Jones that it’s something they absolutely have to do.

I asked a scout if Leach is better than Jones.

“Not better, just different,” he said. “Jones is very versatile, can run with ball, solid hands, good athlete. Leach is a blocker first, can catch but not going to be a threat.”

How much better a blocker, I asked.

“Not enough,” he said. “I would rather have the versatile player.”

If the Texans make this move, the next late-career free agent whom the Texans court will have to ask himself whether the team really wants him, or if it would jump for a slightly better alternative in a matter of months."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth