Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heyward-Bey Continues To Impress

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/HEYWARD-BEY-CONTINUES-TO-IMPRESS/2e77cbf1-82c0-4aa6-8797-c40ce9227997?campaign=tw_art__20130529_8365894

“Darrius is learning the offense like the rest of us, but he’s getting better and better every day,” said receivers coach Charlie Williams.  “He’s helpful to others.  He’s improving the skills he might have felt he was deficient in and skills we might have felt he is deficient in.  He works hard every day. I think Darrius has a chance to benefit really well.  He is a nice, big target.  When Darrius and Andrew get working with the rest of the group, I think it could be real special for him.”

• Its good to hear what Andrew Luck thinks of DHB......He sounds very enthusiastic...

Bey has always had great potential and

• with Reggie drawing a top defensive cover on one side of the field.....here's his chance and if he's healthy, he will get to 1,000 yards (not a big jump from wehere he's been). 
  • He has a steady QB,,,,and a mentor......(and hope to make the playoffs)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • "As the club’s OTA schedule hits the halfway point today, Heyward-Bey has been a steady presence in the offense and much to the liking of Andrew Luckicon-article-link.gif."

“Darrius has been great.  What a great addition,” said Luck.  “He has great speed, obviously, and he has a real knack for football.  It’s fun to see. 

“He’s played a lot of football, and he understands situations.  He’s a good voice to have in the wide receiver room as well.”

Heyward-Bey, 6-2, 216, provides a big target on the offense, and his intent is to be a frequent one.

“Every day is a work in progress,” said Heyward-Bey.  “My focus is letting Andrew know I’m there for him.  I’m going to make plays.  If there are some mistakes, make sure we talk about it and get on the same page.”

Being on the same page with a quarterback has been an arduous process in Heyward-Bey’s first four years.

"He had six different starting quarterbacks, with Carson Palmer being the only one to experience extended career success.  Heyward-Bey also had three different head coaches and four offensive coordinators."

"He had six different starting quarterbacks, with Carson Palmer being the only one to experience extended career success.  Heyward-Bey also had three different head coaches and four offensive coordinators."

This is the best team and situation he has been in since entering the league.  

I expect big things from DHB  :goodluck:

I'm also quite optimistic about LaVon Brazill.  I think he could be a real sleeper there.  He had a quiet year last year, with Avery getting most the reps @ the #2 WR spot.  But I remember that Brazill got much better reviews out of TC and pre-season than Hilton did.  I expect a bit of a competition with DHB for the #2 WR position.  However, I'm guessing that the new O will be all about being flexible so the O can make in-game adjustments and find something that works.  In that respect, there could be enough reps to go around and get Brazill and DHB plenty of PT..

I'm also quite optimistic about LaVon Brazill. I think he could be a real sleeper there. He had a quiet year last year, with Avery getting most the reps @ the #2 WR spot. But I remember that Brazill got much better reviews out of TC and pre-season than Hilton did. I expect a bit of a competition with DHB for the #2 WR position. However, I'm guessing that the new O will be all about being flexible so the O can make in-game adjustments and find something that works. In that respect, there could be enough reps to go around and get Brazill and DHB plenty of PT..

Pagano already confirmed that DHB is a lock at #2 WR.

So that's 1. Reggie 2. DHB 3. Hilton 4. Other WR's 5. Other WR's

We may carry 6 but I doubt it

I'm also quite optimistic about LaVon Brazill.  I think he could be a real sleeper there.  He had a quiet year last year, with Avery getting most the reps @ the #2 WR spot.  But I remember that Brazill got much better reviews out of TC and pre-season than Hilton did.  I expect a bit of a competition with DHB for the #2 WR position.  However, I'm guessing that the new O will be all about being flexible so the O can make in-game adjustments and find something that works.  In that respect, there could be enough reps to go around and get Brazill and DHB plenty of PT..

I have high hopes for Brazil too, even though he saw limited playing time last season, when he did get playing time/made a catch, it always seemed like it was in a critical situation...

I'll wait to see him in action first

I get where you are coming from TK85. Let's hold off on all this early praise of DHB in a t-shirt & shorts with no pads. It's not like DHB is responsible for a game winning TD & SB confetti being dropped quite yet. A valid point my friend.  :D

Can't wait for DHB to have a break-out game, forcing me to purchase a Jersey, so I can rock it at the local bars when Raider Nation is out in full force!!!

Die hard Raider fan here but one of my best friends grew up in Indy lives and dies with the Colts -- I've since adopted them as my #2 team....which puts me in a weird place now that Peyton's with Denver but that's another topic.

DHB's just good enough to stay on the field and that's about it. He's a fantastic physical presence and seems to have great work eithic but the upside pretty much ends there. He's horrible in route recognition -- constantly watching Palmer's frustration after DHB misread yet another route was pretty telling -- and has yet to learn how to use his hands. Also, watch for that famous "DHB Leap" that he'll do whenever the ball comes his way -- it's irritating to watch. I really hope that he's able to learn the position but, if he hasn't gotten it by now, it's doubtful that he ever will. I hope I'm wrong but, for now, save your money on the jersey.

DHB in that video on Colts.com: "I wanted to go to a good team...I haven't been to the Playoffs yet." Translation: Going from a lackluster team like the Raiders to a post season team like the Colts keeps you motivated. 

I like DHB & I sincerely think that he will be an asset here. He's hungry, motivated, & sick of losing man. Which begs the question, why did Charles Woodson return to the Black Hole vs leaving for Denver? Sigh...Money vs another ring...Always take less money for this IMO:  :lombardi: It's why athletes play this game: NFL Immortality...Yes I know, Woodson is another issue. I get it.

I get where you are coming from TK85. Let's hold off on all this early praise of DHB in a t-shirt & shorts with no pads. It's not like DHB is responsible for a game winning TD & SB confetti being dropped quite yet. A valid point my friend. :D

Well that's not exactly my reason for my statement.

Don't know if you saw it SW but I wasn't exactly the "Happiest Camper" when the DHB signing was announced. He's had a history of stone hands and I said that when he was signed. However, I made it clear to everyone that kinda bashed me about not liking the signing that if DHB comes into Indianapolis and he improves with his hands, I'll gladly post a status update on here admitting I was wrong about him and I'll be happy with the signing. So him doing well in OTA's doesn't impress me. I wanna see if he can catch in the real game or are his hands still made of stone when they should be made of Velcro.

But that's just my opinion on the matter

Die hard Raider fan here but one of my best friends grew up in Indy lives and dies with the Colts -- I've since adopted them as my #2 team....which puts me in a weird place now that Peyton's with Denver but that's another topic.

DHB's just good enough to stay on the field and that's about it. He's a fantastic physical presence and seems to have great work eithic but the upside pretty much ends there. He's horrible in route recognition -- constantly watching Palmer's frustration after DHB misread yet another route was pretty telling -- and has yet to learn how to use his hands. Also, watch for that famous "DHB Leap" that he'll do whenever the ball comes his way -- it's irritating to watch. I really hope that he's able to learn the position but, if he hasn't gotten it by now, it's doubtful that he ever will. I hope I'm wrong but, for now, save your money on the jersey.

First off, let me just say, SLVR & Black that your fan base is fantastic, but your front office organization leaves a lot to be desired. Al Davis passing on & getting fresh blood in there leadership wise is the best thing that could have happened to your franchise. I respect the imprint Mr. Davis left on this league, but picking Jamarcus Russell as his franchise QB & paying him all that money was not the best business management decision on his part. Regarding your team overall, 1 thing cripples their post season chances every single year: Penalties & a lack of concentration at critical moments in games. Hopefully, new coaches will change the negative outcome for your club down the road. 

Regarding DHB, he jumped for balls all the time because your QB at the time couldn't deliver the ball on time or your pocket collapsed too early IMO forcing your QB to scramble on the move resulting in a poor throw in many cases. 

Well that's not exactly my reason for my statement.

Don't know if you saw it SW but I wasn't exactly the "Happiest Camper" when the DHB signing was announced. He's had a history of stone hands and I said that when he was signed. However, I made it clear to everyone that kinda bashed me about not liking the signing that if DHB comes into Indianapolis and he improves with his hands, I'll gladly post a status update on here admitting I was wrong about him and I'll be happy with the signing. So him doing well in OTA's doesn't impress me. I wanna see if he can catch in the real game or are his hands still made of stone when they should be made of Velcro.

But that's just my opinion on the matter

I apologize if I took what you said out of context TK85. You wanna see better hands, ball control, & catching ability when it really counts. Got it. Sometimes, a change of scenery/zip code does a WR wonders a la Randy Moss to NE in 2007. Perhaps moving away from the Bay area will help DHB tremendously too TK85. That remains to be seen though. Hey, it worked out great for Cris Carter going from Philadelphia to Minnesota too.

I apologize if I took what you said out of context TK85. You wanna see better hands, ball control, & catching ability when it really counts. Got it. Sometimes, a change of scenery/zip code does a WR wonders a la Randy Moss to NE in 2007. Perhaps moving away from the Bay area will help DHB tremendously too TK85. That remains to be seen though. Hey, it worked out great for Cris Carter going from Philadelphia to Minnesota too.

We'll see if it does help him. Like I already promised everyone, I'll make a status at the end of the season if he shines here apologizing for being so quick to count him out. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong

I think DHB might have a good shot of making himself a case to shed his bust label in Indy.  

With the kind of crap quarterbacking he's had in Oakland, it's pretty easy for a WR to look bad. 

Agreed, but I'm really hoping we got the ex Oakland WR that looked bad that really was pretty good.

Haven't seen any of the other one's do anything post Oakland yet.

We'll see if it does help him. Like I already promised everyone, I'll make a status at the end of the season if he shines here apologizing for being so quick to count him out. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong

I respect that you have cause to pause on DHB & his field production TK85. I like it when people share a difference of opinion & have the courage to express it. You could be right. He could be a bust & not pan out. Never be ashamed to stand your ground man. It makes me respect you even more actually. I also like that you said that you can admit when you made a mistake. God knows we all make blunders every now & then even me. haha

Keep making predictions TK85 & stick to your guns man. All I ask is that you own them & never run from them & you my friend, to your credit, never do that. Hide from your predictions. Kudos sir! :hat:

First off, let me just say, SLVR & Black that your fan base is fantastic, but your front office organization leaves a lot to be desired. Al Davis passing on & getting fresh blood in there leadership wise is the best thing that could have happened to your franchise. I respect the imprint Mr. Davis left on this league, but picking Jamarcus Russell as his franchise QB & paying him all that money was not the best business management decision on his part. Regarding your team overall, 1 thing cripples their post season chances every single year: Penalties & a lack of concentration at critical moments in games. Hopefully, new coaches will change the negative outcome for your club down the road. 

Regarding DHB, he jumped for balls all the time because your QB at the time couldn't deliver the ball on time or your pocket collapsed too early IMO forcing your QB to scramble on the move resulting in a poor throw in many cases. 

I think that Reggie (GM) has done a fantastic job of dumping all of "Al's overpaid players", one of whom was DHB, off of the roster. The cost is roughly $40mil in dead money this year IIRC but about $50mil+ in cap room next year -- we'll see if he's the right guy for the job in '14.

DHB? Even with perfectly thrown balls, he leaves his feet, watch him, and he had a really hard time gaining any sort of separation -- he's just not that good of a player. He also won't use his hands, which will seemingly cause the leap as he attempts to cradle the ball with his body. He will though, make some exciting plays and get one or two long TD's this year. Again, he's too fast and strong to leave on the bench but not skilled enough to be a true difference maker. He's an easy player to fall in love with and an easy player to hate -- you'll soon be seeing DHB lovers and haters on this board, trust me. :D

BTW, if history's any indicator, DHB should have a big day week 1. :(

I think that Reggie (GM) has done a fantastic job of dumping all of "Al's overpaid players", one of whom was DHB, off of the roster. The cost is roughly $40mil in dead money this year IIRC but about $50mil+ in cap room next year -- we'll see if he's the right guy for the job in '14.

DHB? Even with perfectly thrown balls, he leaves his feet, watch him, and he had a really hard time gaining any sort of separation -- he's just not that good of a player. He also won't use his hands, which will seemingly cause the leap as he attempts to cradle the ball with his body. He will though, make some exciting plays and get one or two long TD's this year. Again, he's too fast and strong to leave on the bench but not skilled enough to be a true difference maker. He's an easy player to fall in love with and an easy player to hate -- you'll soon be seeing DHB lovers and haters on this board, trust me. :D

Well it is the "offseason" and some of these issues DHB has was sort of addressed in the initial quote addressing Bey's performance in the OTA's

“Darrius is learning the offense like the rest of us, but he’s getting better and better every day,” said receivers coach Charlie Williams.  “He’s helpful to others.  He’s improving the skills he might have felt he was deficient in and skills we might have felt he is deficient in.  He works hard every day. I think Darrius has a chance to benefit really well.  He is a nice, big target.  When Darrius and Andrew get working with the rest of the group, I think it could be real special for him.”

So I would assume that is why fans/forum members are somewhat excited about his potential...

Wes Welker didn't do much while in San Diego or Miami, but I think everyone knows what happened when he got to New England, so it isn't out of the question to hope that DHB has a similar turnaround with a young up & coming QB he can develop chemistry with and a coaching regime that isn't consistently turning over...

With that said I do think that the Raiders are making better choices, & while dumping DHB may have made financial sense for them, I don't think it automatically means he will be a bust in Indy, he has the tools to improve and be successful that weren't necessarily there in Oakland for the beginning of his career...

It's good to see he's working hard. He's definitely going to be one the top 3 players on my radar when I frequent camp this year. I hope he has a great season so we can sign him to a longer deal and give us the peace of mind knowing that our WR situation won't have to come down to T.Y. being the only proven starter after Reggie leaves. (Though obviously Reggie may not retire after this season.)

no offense, but who really excels in oakland these days. Its hard to be productive when theirs no stability in both coaching and the qb position. every year dhb had to learn a new scheme and had a new person throwing him the ball. you cant build chemistry. now hes in a stable environment with one of the best up and coming young qbs throwing him the ball and a guy like reggie to teach him how to be a WR.

Well you guys did turn Randy Moss into a sniveling shell of himself before he had one of the best seasons ever as a WR, so judging pre and post Raider is tough lol.

Well it is the "offseason" and some of these issues DHB has was sort of addressed in the initial quote addressing Bey's performance in the OTA's

So I would assume that is why fans/forum members are somewhat excited about his potential...

Wes Welker didn't do much while in San Diego or Miami, but I think everyone knows what happened when he got to New England, so it isn't out of the question to hope that DHB has a similar turnaround with a young up & coming QB he can develop chemistry with and a coaching regime that isn't consistently turning over...

With that said I do think that the Raiders are making better choices, & while dumping DHB may have made financial sense for them, I don't think it automatically means he will be a bust in Indy, he has the tools to improve and be successful that weren't necessarily there in Oakland for the beginning of his career...

His work ethic was never questioned and, as a Raider fan, I've heard the same stories about him and his improvement since he was drafted. He won't be a bust in Indy but he won't be a superstar either. Instead, he'll be one of those guys with a ton of potential that will leave fans waiting for his breakout season -- at least that's my guess. The only reason why Raider fans consider him a bust is because of the contract that he signed -- Davis made him very wealthy and he was never able to come anywhere near the level of production that his salary cap numbers would dictate.

His work ethic was never questioned and, as a Raider fan, I've heard the same stories about him and his improvement since he was drafted. He won't be a bust in Indy but he won't be a superstar either. Instead, he'll be one of those guys with a ton of potential that will leave fans waiting for his breakout season -- at least that's my guess. The only reason why Raider fans consider him a bust is because of the contract that he signed -- Davis made him very wealthy and he was never able to come anywhere near the level of production that his salary cap numbers would dictate.

Yea... I mean Darius Bey is Darius Bey. He's not suddenly going to become a great route runner and his hands are probably his hands.  I do think the change in scenery , Luck and this new offense will help him. I also think he will be an upgrade over Avery and will turn out to be a very nice sign by Indy. However , the fact that he wasn't even starting ( I don't think anyway) for Oakland last year , means that they are total *s or he is is just not a super star ready to happen. It just isn't unusual for teams to jump the gun and over rate new players or draft picks in May. 

Understandable...

You can't blame Colts fans for being hopeful though, especially when the word from OTA's is that he is impressing staff, & developing "chemistry" with Luck...

Change of scenery can make a difference, what do you think Colts fans were telling Bears fans when they picked up Tim Jennings???

To quote Steelers HC Mike Tomlin: "We [Colts fans in this case] don't live in the excuse world." Translation: If you don't produce consistently, you are gone. The Colts are not a charity organization like the Red Cross. I neither hate nor love BHC. I just know that a new city, new coaching staff, new scheme, & new teammates can be a refreshing change of pace. Just what the Dr. ordered & DHB needs. Oakland, in recent memory, has had a ton of turnover & not a lot of continuity coaching staff wise SLVR & Black & that is undeniable. Al Davis loved ya if ya won & blamed ya if you lost the SB. 

If DHB falls to pull his weight, our GM Ryan Grigson will release him as soon as his contract expires & our HC Pagano won't play him if DHB is a liability on the field. 

Well you guys did turn Randy Moss into a sniveling shell of himself before he had one of the best seasons ever as a WR, so judging pre and post Raider is tough lol.

Excellent point House! To listen to Raiders management, Randy Moss was washed up as a WR & D.O.A. in Foxboro. Not every sob story emerging from the "Black Hole" is a foregone conclusion for failure now is it?  haha 

18-1 in 2007 is so awful isn't it? Clearly, Moss sucks...Just kidding! 

If DHB falls to pull his weight, our GM Ryan Grigson will release him as soon as his contract expires & our HC Pagano won't play him if DHB is a liability on the field. 

Al's gone, so is DHB. ;)

Personally, I hope DHB flourishes with Luck -- again, I really do like the Colts to the point of having BBQ's with our friends from Indy whenever they're televised out here.

Al's gone, so is DHB. ;)

Personally, I hope DHB flourishes with Luck -- again, I really do like the Colts to the point of having BBQ's with our friends from Indy whenever they're televised out here.

Well while we're on the subject of who's gone. You guys gave us your WR, should've sent us Tyron Branch as well. But we don't need a S anymore so yeah lol

Did DHB have top notch coaches and trainers at Oakland?  It was pretty obvious he didn't have a top 10 QB to work with. I don't think he had the same offensive coordinator more than 2 seasons did he? I know you said your a Raider fan but the facts are the whole offense for the Raiders has been pretty offensive over the last few years. They did look a little better with Palmer but he is and has been way too streaky since his arm surgery. I am not saying that DHB will become a superstar but he could turn out to be a very good receiver under the right coaches and trainers. There have been quite a few receivers who become very good with a change of teams. Sometimes losing takes the spirit out of the player and going to the right team can put the desire back.