Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Heyward-Bey Continues To Impress

Time will tell... I hope that DHB improves and benefits from some stability. Maybe Reggie influences him greatly, IDK, but I'm not a big fan of the "change of scenery" argument or Randy Moss comparisons. Here's why:

Usually the change of scenery argument applies to guys who have character or work ethic issues, like Moss. DHB has great work ethic by all accounts. His issues are with fundamentals. I believe that he can benefit from good coaching, but I wouldn't expect a Moss-like turnaround unless the staff finds a way to maximize what DHB skills are at the moment..

Its not like DHB was a scrub in Oak., he just didn't live up to his draft status or contract...  He could easily be a 1000yd. receiver this season based on what he has already shown... His game reminds me of Pierre Garcon, with better size, but worse routes running (hands a wash)... the questions surrounding his improvement are basically attempts to evaluate whether he can be Reggie's replacement in the future. He is better than Avery right out of the box, but will have to really develop some chemistry with #12 and improve his hands/route running to be the #1 in a couple seasons.

Die hard Raider fan here but one of my best friends grew up in Indy lives and dies with the Colts -- I've since adopted them as my #2 team....which puts me in a weird place now that Peyton's with Denver but that's another topic.

DHB's just good enough to stay on the field and that's about it. He's a fantastic physical presence and seems to have great work eithic but the upside pretty much ends there. He's horrible in route recognition -- constantly watching Palmer's frustration after DHB misread yet another route was pretty telling -- and has yet to learn how to use his hands. Also, watch for that famous "DHB Leap" that he'll do whenever the ball comes his way -- it's irritating to watch. I really hope that he's able to learn the position but, if he hasn't gotten it by now, it's doubtful that he ever will. I hope I'm wrong but, for now, save your money on the jersey.

Route recognition, and the leap for the ball, the two areas you say he struggles in badly, can be fixed by working closely with someone like Reggie Wayne, who might be the best WR in the NFL at route recognition 

Die hard Raider fan here

Dang. No need to undermine your credibility from jump.

Anyway...

He's horrible in route recognition...and has yet to learn how to use his hands.

So you're telling me that the Raiders coaches have sucked over his career? I already knew that. ;)

I really hope that he's able to learn the position but, if he hasn't gotten it by now, it's doubtful that he ever will.

Ehhh considering he was literally in the black hole of the NFL, had pi**-poor coaches, environment and teammates, I'm not surprised. But now that he is in an organization that just wins baby, is excellent, has great ownership, management, coaching and teammates (don't forget a real life QB), I suspect he'll do just fine. ;)

Do you have a link for this article or comment?

Umm, it was posted in a thread on here. But I'll look for it and get back to you

EDIT: Can't find the article but it was in a press conference with Pagano where he said DHB would be our "X" WR

Agreed, but I'm really hoping we got the ex Oakland WR that looked bad that really was pretty good.

Haven't seen any of the other one's do anything post Oakland yet.

That's why we have him on a 1 year contract.  If he sucks we only have him for a year and we look elsewhere for wide receivers.

If he shows that with good quarterbacking he can be the kind of receiver that people thought he would be when he was drafted then we can re-sign the dude to a long term contract.  

I guess I should stop stalking this board and start posting lol...Well DHB is being given a great opportunity, so only he can screw this up. It's very hard to judge him off of his play when he's spent 4 years of his career playing on a franchise with lack of leadership, multiple lackluster QB's, and at the time a terrible front office. I don't expect him to dominate, but I do expect him to improve from his Raider days, because he has zero excuses. I'm hopeful he can put up similar or slightly better numbers than Avery....without the drops, though  :goodluck:

Weird as this may sound, when I scouted DHB I really wondered if he might need Lasik. He's a physical presence who can be solid as a catch and run threat (and can run block on the perimeter), but he's terrible at tracking deep passes. If he fixes that, we have a major steal on our hands. 

If not, he can still contribute if we focus on his strengths, but we should know going into it that he's not the traditional deep threat his size and speed would lead one to believe. At least not yet.

Weird as this may sound, when I scouted DHB I really wondered if he might need Lasik. He's a physical presence who can be solid as a catch and run threat (and can run block on the perimeter), but he's terrible at tracking deep passes. If he fixes that, we have a major steal on our hands. 

If not, he can still contribute if we focus on his strengths, but we should know going into it that he's not the traditional deep threat his size and speed would lead one to believe. At least not yet.

I can see why you would say that. I haven't seen much action from him since college, so I've only had to go off of highlights I have found people posting and his numbers. He does seem to lose track of the ball, but I also saw him making catches where Jason Campbell would just sail it into the worst coverage, just terrible decisions. He was pretty good at getting yards after the catch in a few I've seen also.

• Its good to hear what Andrew Luck thinks of DHB......He sounds very enthusiastic...

Bey has always had great potential and

• with Reggie drawing a top defensive cover on one side of the field.....here's his chance and if he's healthy, he will get to 1,000 yards (not a big jump from wehere he's been). 
  • He has a steady QB,,,,and a mentor......(and hope to make the playoffs)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • "As the club’s OTA schedule hits the halfway point today, Heyward-Bey has been a steady presence in the offense and much to the liking of Andrew Luckicon-article-link.gif."

“Darrius has been great.  What a great addition,” said Luck.  “He has great speed, obviously, and he has a real knack for football.  It’s fun to see. 

“He’s played a lot of football, and he understands situations.  He’s a good voice to have in the wide receiver room as well.”

Heyward-Bey, 6-2, 216, provides a big target on the offense, and his intent is to be a frequent one.

“Every day is a work in progress,” said Heyward-Bey.  “My focus is letting Andrew know I’m there for him.  I’m going to make plays.  If there are some mistakes, make sure we talk about it and get on the same page.”

Being on the same page with a quarterback has been an arduous process in Heyward-Bey’s first four years.

"He had six different starting quarterbacks, with Carson Palmer being the only one to experience extended career success.  Heyward-Bey also had three different head coaches and four offensive coordinators."

"He had six different starting quarterbacks, with Carson Palmer being the only one to experience extended career success.  Heyward-Bey also had three different head coaches and four offensive coordinators."

The above says alot to me . Here's why   "  A comfort level & consistency "  was never established & it was a failure by the Raiders coachs that brought DHB to our :colts:   .

As a bricklayer I travel to different sites working for different foremans the first few days to a week can go bye before you reach a comfort level , Communication & Bonds needed between DHB  & Coachs & QB's to be successful  have not materialized because the Raiders have been the arm pit of the NFL for atleast a decade they dropped the ball they are the hands of stone  IMO  , FAILURE  & MISMANAGEMENT  have led to there new motto " Just Lose Baby " 

DHB is now a COLT & IMO he will flourish he's hungry to prove his self & surrounded by winners for the first time in his NFL career he will have IMO a  break out year making this move as well as other FA moves by Ryan Grigson the reason the Colts take back the AFC south .